Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of the ball chewing part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

John F Bennett posted:

Don't knock it till you try it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

John F Bennett posted:

Is that what she said? There was something wrong with the audio. I had to replay that part like 5 times and I still couldn't understand it. It was like she had a mouthful of cottage cheese.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Yes, it was about chewing reindeer balls through the sac.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Wonder how far they will go with him here. He's extremely intersting, but i guess a lot of what he did is outside the scope of what Vikings is all about.

He did fight the great heathen army and was the one responsible for not only uniting England but also for driving out the Danes/Norse. Uniting England was a pretty big deal and had a lot to do with defeating or assimilating the Vikings from my understanding, so I feel like he fits pretty well in the scope, excluding the whole part where our main dudes here get defeated by him eventually. Until then, rape, pillage, kill repeat seems to be the scope.

At least we know he lives, but no sign yet of his Crohns?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They need to trim the fat, maybe do a spin off. There are too many good characters getting shuffled to the sidelines or not getting enough screentime.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

wormil posted:

They need to trim the fat, maybe do a spin off. There are too many good characters getting shuffled to the sidelines or not getting enough screentime.

Bjorn is a great example of this. He went twice to the mediteranean and both times nothing of importance happened. It felt as half-assed as GOT season 7.

Good thing Ivar/Lagertha/Ubbe's storyline is good.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wormil posted:

Dalael posted:

Bjorn is a great example of this. He went twice to the mediteranean and both times nothing of importance happened. It felt as half-assed as GOT season 7.

Yeah I wish Bjorn was more to the forefront and had more screen time than he does. I know they are trying to focus on the GHA but they are doing a bad job with that seeing as a minor character like Astrid gets the extra screen time Bjorn should be getting imho, when they aren’t showing the GHA pillaging England.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

life is killing me posted:

Yeah I wish Bjorn was more to the forefront and had more screen time than he does. I know they are trying to focus on the GHA but they are doing a bad job with that seeing as a minor character like Astrid gets the extra screen time Bjorn should be getting imho, when they aren’t showing the GHA pillaging England.

I'm okay with the Astrid bit. But imho, Bjorn should't have come back to Kattegat. They could have given him a bit more screen time to show "travel" and then next season go full on his story. But right now, both trips felt like fillers.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So i feel like Hvitserk won't want to go back but half head shaved brother will.

Edit: Not sure I trust that surrender.

Edit 2: Saw that one coming I s'pose.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 11, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
drat I was about to start watching when by box froze and i missed the whole loving show. Gimme spoilers, I don't caaaaare!!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ivar agreed to a peace because he didn't want to fight his brothers and then, get ready because here's a wild twist, changed his mind.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Grem posted:

Ivar agreed to a peace because he didn't want to fight his brothers and then, get ready because here's a wild twist, changed his mind.

He didn't change his mind he was being extra dramatic.

Also there was a battle scene, the Saami used blowdarts and no major characters died.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can someone gif Bjorn running because that was the goofiest poo poo I've ever seen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ivar walking around with one cane is ridiculous

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Floki's Iceland melodrama is pretty boring too tbh

Dalael posted:

drat I was about to start watching when by box froze and i missed the whole loving show. Gimme spoilers, I don't caaaaare!!

there was a battle but the nothing of consequence happened plot-wise

I'm not sure why they had everyone go back to Kattegat, nothing has really happened there and the Great Heathen Army loving up Britain and Bjorn in the Mediterranean would be a lot more interesting

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 11, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
meh

MEH

I wanted Ivar to win because i'm really tired of Katheryn Winnick. Idk what it is, but her "nordic accent" has become so extremely grating to me and i'm really tired of hearing her speak in it. If shes gonna have a Bishop Hegmund plot tho that could be interesting. Plus i doubt this is the last of Ivars strategies, i just hope we don't get like 1-2 episodes that are basically just "ivar is sad" cause without good Ivar action (and now no Bjørn adventures) the show is just Ubbe being stupid, Floki playing Settlers 2 and Alfred looking at things.

UNLESS WE POP OVER TO MY MAINEST MAN ROLLO THAT IS

PLEASE

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I haven’t watched yet but made the mistake of reading this thread so oh well I’ll still watch.

EVEN THOUGH nothing of consequence apparently happened. Seriously I don’t know what the hell is keeping them from advancing the plot beyond Norse-drama but they had a really good opportunity in what I assume is still supposed to be the main plot point, and are just piling on garbage.

If Ragnar died ONLY so they could go take revenge on England, then why are we getting all this filler with everyone sitting in Kattegat plotting to betray one another or meet betrayal, instead of honoring his memory with the deaths of Saxons?

If it was up to me, the whole season would be them just in England exacting the consequences of taking the main character from us :colbert:

Also for all of Ivar’s bitching and moaning about his brothers and how he is the only one honoring Ragnar’s wishes, he sure does do a lot of sitting around plotting to do anything but that, like take over Kattegat from Lagertha and not be in England employing his master strategies

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 11, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ivar needs a united army to take over England. He has to go back to claim some kind of leadership position. This was a punitive raid so they don't have the manpower for an invasion force.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Ivar needs a united army to take over England. He has to go back to claim some kind of leadership position. This was a punitive raid so they don't have the manpower for an invasion force.

They sure made it seem like the manpower was there at their initial invasion to kill Aelle and Ecbert. They were all trembling at how many Northmen there were, at least I assume so since they should have been used to Northmen by then, so I wouldn’t think they’d have been as scared as they were at first just on the fear factor of Northmen.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

life is killing me posted:

They sure made it seem like the manpower was there at their initial invasion to kill Aelle and Ecbert. They were all trembling at how many Northmen there were, at least I assume so since they should have been used to Northmen by then, so I wouldn’t think they’d have been as scared as they were at first just on the fear factor of Northmen.

Aella was completely unprepared for the army he was facing. Ecbert's army was in a better position to fight back, but poor leadership led to his army getting crushed by the Northmen. Once they regrouped. they had another army large enough to take on the Northmen, but once again, hubris got half of them killed.

Regardless of how large your army is, you can only suffer so many major defeats before people stop showing up to recruitment centers and/or those who do are not the most battle ready.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dalael posted:

I want more Rollo, Bjorn, Lagertha, & Loki. Ivar was fun until he started acting like a creepy gay stalker. When Ragnar was obsessed with Athelstan it felt like he was interested in evolving. Ivar & Heahmund just feels, uncomfortable.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

wormil posted:

gay... just feels, uncomfortable.

Hmm

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

wormil posted:

I want more Rollo, Bjorn, Lagertha, & Loki. Ivar was fun until he started acting like a creepy gay stalker. When Ragnar was obsessed with Athelstan it felt like he was interested in evolving. Ivar & Heahmund just feels, uncomfortable.

I want Bjorn, Lagertha and Ivar. Not too interested in Floki's story line because he's too much of a religious fanatics for me. As for Rollo, I don't want to see him in Vikings ever again.

I want a Spinoff because historically speaking, he deserves no less :black101:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Rollo rules.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Viridiant posted:

Rollo rules.

He took his keelhauling like a champ.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I wonder if they’ll cover William The Bastard, even if it involves a timeskip? He’s pretty much the capstone of the narrative of the vikings, right?

E: him or Rurik I guess

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The showrunner has said that he'd like to get to when the vikings go to America, and William the Bastard wouldn't be too many timeskips after that.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Here I was upset at a season surely to be Rollo-less. Wonder if after that mention we'll actually see him this season

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Rollo's got plans for Ivar.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

Rollo's got plans for Ivar.

Yeah, disappointing he gave troops to someone trying to kill his ex sister in law who is pretty chill about most things overall though.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Are you pulling my loving leg right now >:c a loving bee sting really

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

🐝 🐝 🐝

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

A king and a temple master starting a bar brawl, now that's a good scandal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With Alfred becoming King, this show is encroaching on The Last Kingdom territory. I hope they introduce a character named Uhtred.

In The Last Kindom, the protagonist Uhtred kills Ubba, Ragnar's son. Someone also mentions that Ubba's brother, a guy named Ivar, has been killed in Ireland. There's also a King Ecbert in one of the early episodes but he is not respected, has zero speaking lines, and is considered a puppet for the Danes.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 18, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mu Zeta posted:

this show is encroaching on The Last Kingdom territory.

TLK is encroaching on Vikings territory :colbert:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 18, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhuSDRIDHE

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
HELL YEAH MY MAINEST MAN ROLL-oh... :smith:

Edit: Also im placing my bet that Bishop Hegmund is gonna betray Lagertha to keep his promise to Ivar of being THE MOST HONORABLE MAN

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 18, 2018

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

TLK is encroaching on Vikings territory :colbert:

They don’t have to be compared but being a fan of the books myself, I still like Vikings better as a show than the TLK show.

Though iirc in the TLK books, Ubba and Ivar were brothers but I don’t remember them being named as sons of Ragnar Lothbrok or the latter even being mentioned. There was no Hvitserk or Sigurd, and Halfdan was one of the brothers I think.

Vikings is taking a different tack from TLK, probably following the Ragnar Lothbrok saga more closely (and maybe the saga’s interpretation of events in England regarding Wessex including how Aethelwulf died and how Alfred became king) and TLK got a little more historical even though Cornwell definitely took liberties in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Also Clive Standen is doing Taken, which I’m surprised wasn’t cancelled before the first season ended (and probably already was geared for Taken before Bjorn went to Paris to ask Rollo for safe passage to get to the Mediterranean), so I highly doubt we will see Rollo again other than a short cameo or two. They are only mentioning Rollo and why he couldn’t make it this episode, which seems to be a convenient way to keep him as an idea in the show while writing his character out further. They obviously won’t kill Rollo given what he’s supposed to become, but producers and writers had to know he was slated to star in a second-rate movie adaptation that can’t hold a candle to the movies.

Just goes to show, fewer original ideas are happening in Hollywood than ever before imho, because half the shows that come out these days are either serial adaptations of successful movies or movie franchises (see: Taken, Shooter) or competitively similar to another show on another network (see: SEAL Team vs The Brave)

• Locked thread