Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Is this the new Kyoto Animations show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think you want Darling in the FranXXX

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't think this was gonna be a child soldier rehabilitation show, but I loved that first episode.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Is this the new Kyoto Animations show.

yea it's about a saber with robot arms and PTSD that wants to gently caress

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Umm, what?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Umm, what?

Welcome to dick spacious's posting

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I forgot to check the poster name. Carry on.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

I'm going to give it the "3 episode test" before I decide whether or not Violet wants to gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked the first episode.

The setting here seems reminiscent of post-WWI Germany. Though Hodgkins told Violet that they won the war, I wonder if actually they lost. The damage to the country, and the desperate battle they were in doesn't look much like a victory. Then again the widespread level of illiteracy is more like Russia.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like that the major is alive

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is so badly written. everything about the big letter drama this episode was contrived, unneeded and undermined by earlier happenings in the episode

also having the setting be faux-european and then still have the cast eat japanese food is incredibly lazy

netflix subtitles are also awful and some of their lines are nonsensical. the dude's name is claudia cause he wanted a girl, really?

Davincie fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 18, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

this is so badly written. everything about the big letter drama this episode was contrived, unneeded and undermined by earlier happenings in the episode

also having the setting be faux-european and then still have the cast eat japanese food is incredibly lazy

netflix subtitles are also awful and some of their lines are nonsensical. the dude's name is claudia cause he wanted a girl, really?

His parents should have given him a manly name, like Claire or Kamille.

Aug 24, 2011

lmao this show is hilarious and i'm pretty sure it isn't intentional

what's supposed to be this dramatic presentation of a girl who doesn't understand emotions comes across instead as some of the most incredibly dry humour i've ever seen

honestly wouldn't be surprised if she heard "company is failing" and decided to use her soldier training to run a secret assassination business out of the post office to keep it afloat, because of course that's what you do in that situation

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 18, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I thought it was a pretty good episode. The letter stuff was a little contrived but it made sense to me so it didn't particularly bother me, and anyway I was kind of hoping for a "Violet fucks everything up because she can't into emotions" sort of thing to start out. I like that we got some insight into Erica as well through her interactions with Violet.

The writing isn't that amazing so far but I'll take this over isekai LN shlock any day, and the animation is wonderful to watch so that helps make up for any deficiencies on the story side for me so far. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit.

edit: ^^^ No I'm pretty sure the dry humor is intentional and that's why the letter scenes come across as a bit over the top when they could have been played more straight if they wanted to keep it totally serious. Like the scene with the angry guy going on about his letter? That's definitely played for laughs at Violet's (and subsequently Erica's) reactions.

cathead fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 18, 2018

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That wasn't as good an episode as the first. The show continues to hold out on confirming Gilbert's death, which is an unnecessary tease. I'm ok with the dry, disciplined way that Violet responds to everything, but it annoys me that no one has tried to sit down with her and at least try to teach her empathy.

In the end, that was just a bad character intro episode. Of the three new characters, only one of them seems at all interesting to the overall story. Iris does jack poo poo but type and complain, and Cattleya does nothing but perform the basic functions as her boss like teaching Violet how to press buttons, and lusting after Hodgins. Erica seems to be a mirror for Violet to reflect off of as this person who is outwardly doll-like - just like Violet in a way - but internally super passionate. Lets see how episode three goes.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ViggyNash posted:

That wasn't as good an episode as the first. The show continues to hold out on confirming Gilbert's death, which is an unnecessary tease.

I have no knowledge of the source material, but I wouldn’t be surprised given the absolutely exhausting way that it’s been drawn out thus far if the big reveal is that Gilbert is actually alive but just wants Violet to stay away from him for some reason or other. Like, he told her he loved her on the battlefield, but he also told her to run away from him right? Maybe he’s slowly recovering from his wounds and just believes that Violet won’t be safe around him, or will fall back into her old habits of being an ultra-loyal murder machine around him, or whatnot

It’d still be a pretty dire anime if that’s where they went, but I’d respect it a little more than if the reveal is just “Gilbert dead, Violet shook”

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

That wasn't as good an episode as the first. The show continues to hold out on confirming Gilbert's death, which is an unnecessary tease. I'm ok with the dry, disciplined way that Violet responds to everything, but it annoys me that no one has tried to sit down with her and at least try to teach her empathy.

Wasn't Hodgins' use of past tense pretty strong toward him being dead though? Like his whole thing is he can't bring himself to tell Violet the truth and it's eating him up inside so I'm not sure why people are expecting some sort of outright confirmation.

On the point of teaching Violet empathy, have people really known her long enough yet for them to even want to? I mentioned this about ep 1 as well but i get the impression most people who interact with her don't know how to approach her because they haven't dealt with someone like her before. She's only been there a few days so considering everyone else seems to already have their own things to deal with, I'm not surprised they're not jumping at the opportunity to try and get inside the head of this weird new robot lady. Erica was probably the first step toward someone even trying to figure her out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. I wish the writing would frame Violet's trauma/numbness in less consistently 'beep-boop I am a robot'-y terms, but I feel like the way the rest of the cast is responding to her basically makes sense.

I liked the latest episode more than the first. It's still not grabbing me super hard and there's no one character I've really latched onto like in a lot of other KyoAni shows yet, but I'm warming to the cast and the production values are simply faultless.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah if Gilbert isn't dead, then he's probably suffered severe brain damage.

And eww the writing is bad in this.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
*shrug* I liked it and it made me feels

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I hope every episode concludes with Violet reaffirming that yes, she does in fact want to know what "I love you" means. At least they have to do it 8 times otherwise I am disappoint.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm enjoying it. I want to know more about the old guy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why doesnt this saber have an ahoge

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

why doesnt this saber have an ahoge

Alter Violet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My gut says Violet's more of an Archer or maybe Ruler than a Saber, personally.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

superLINUS posted:

*shrug* I liked it and it made me feels

Me too. Also lol at "absolutely exhausting way Gilbert's death confession has been delayed" considering it's been two episodes my man and also let's be honest, Violet knows. She doesn't know she knows, but she knows.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

full metal mail witches is a anime i will continue to watch

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I preferred this episode over the first too since it's a better scope of the cast than the previous. That being said, the director should've retained the LN order instead of going chronological since it really doesn't do a lot to make me care about any of the other characters other than Violet (and even then).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dias posted:

Me too. Also lol at "absolutely exhausting way Gilbert's death confession has been delayed" considering it's been two episodes my man and also let's be honest, Violet knows. She doesn't know she knows, but she knows.

Yeah, like

The reveal pretty clearly isn't the point here.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Has anyone read the LN and is it any good?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hope Violet gets better at her job :gbsmith:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Apologies - I worded my post pretty badly. I'm not talking about the delay to any reveal being exhausting, I'm talking about how the show is repeating certain character beats at a pretty quick pace within the two episodes so far. That kind of rapid repetition to drive a point home (e.g. "The blank-faced girl before me looked just like a doll - like the namesake of the job she performed. Like a mechanical doll.") is what's exhausting me, and by this point it's pretty clearly a deliberate choice that's working a lot better for other folks in this thread than it is for me

I'mma drop this one, but I do hope that it finds its legs over time / that it keeps delivering on the aspects that you guys are enjoying already!

Aug 24, 2011

actually she might be really good at writing legal depositions and the like, she seems to understand the law quite well

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The true genius of this series is that it relates the plight of the unfeeling robot person to the audience by making the audience feel nothing. The scene of sad robot what is bad at job standing in the rain while some dramatic music swells in the background let me know I was supposed to feel sad, but I didn't feel sad at all. I am the true robot and thus I am undone.

Jokes aside, gonna give this a few episodes to see what they actually come up with given some time, but I'm having a hard time getting invested or feeling compelled by the emotionally stunted waif that imprinted super hard on that one guy who was nice to her once, but he's, like, dead now. Oh, so tragic.
It's pretty, I guess?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The show doesn't seem especially substantial or anything but its still early on and looks pretty so I'm staying with it for now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's such a weird translation job on Netflix's side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe the gimmick in Netflix's version is that Violet herself is doing the subtitles.

• Locked thread