Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Raven Ridge Zotac mini pc:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12319/zotac-displays-zbox-ma551-an-amd-raven-ridgebased-sff-pc

Could be an interesting media center box/home theater. Likely worth waiting to see how it handles GPU video transcode and stuff though (and how loud that fan is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That could be lots of fun! The cooling system looks rather robust for the form factor, too. Won't be quiet if you get to overclocking, but I have hope.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD Retpoline benchmarks. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Retpoline-Linux-4.15-FX-Zen

Pre-Ryzen poo poo is either minimally affected or *gains performance*, Ryzen either minimally affected or *gains performance*, Threadripper takes a serious hit on random reads in two of seven tests?!

EPYC largely unaffected either way, looks like margin of error difference.

Also, I need to offer a mea culpa to whichever goon it was that argued that J. Average Luser WOULD be impacted by Meltdown/Spectre. Engadget is reporting that the rebooting problems affect Skylake/Kaby, too. https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/18/intel-spectre-reboot-problem-affects-newer-cpu/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

J. Average Luser WOULD be impacted by Meltdown/Spectre

NVMe Random 4k goes down around half from everything I've read. This is not trivial at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems weird that TR is affected but not EPYC.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

R5 2600 spotted posting 3.6-3.8GHz vs the current 1600's 3.2-3.4. Hopefully production samples will be able to break 4GHz on boost.

E: WCCFTech salt now, salty later, etc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...hero-x470-leak/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NewFatMike posted:

R5 2600 spotted posting 3.6-3.8GHz vs the current 1600's 3.2-3.4. Hopefully production samples will be able to break 4GHz on boost.

E: WCCFTech salt now, salty later, etc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...hero-x470-leak/

200MHz more at the same TDP isn't exactly getting me excited, but I guess it's a start

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

redeyes posted:

NVMe Random 4k goes down around half from everything I've read. This is not trivial at all.

but but but stack crashes in rare situations on some ryzen gen1 chips :cry:

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Ars Technica article on Spectre/Meltdown - old AMD procs now patch properly in Windows, but pretty much every -Bridge/-Well/-Lake variant now suffers with sporadic reboot issues.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I had to disable stuff like Dropbox and shut down other processes to keep my Lynnfield from rebooting.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Any info about when the price drops will be live?

Living in :sweden:, we didn't really get awesome black Friday pricing and I'm currently sitting next to a still wrapped 1600x...

I'm thinking return it, wait and pick up a 1700x, but that depends when the prices drop and when that trickles down to Europe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is Zen+ a paper launch, or is there an date and event where we're expected to get more info?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think theres a HARD date but AMD has already stated they're sampling the process right now per the CES slide decks and the across the board discounts on current ryzen parts are a hint of clearing inventory.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

Is Zen+ a paper launch, or is there an date and event where we're expected to get more info?

March/April is all we've heard so far. Sounds like the conservative estimates were closer to the mark, so there may not be too much of a performance reason to wait really.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

200MHz more at the same TDP isn't exactly getting me excited

Interested to see the silicon lottery overclocking results. How long after launch do they usually release those?

Wondering if the 2700 is going to be the best bet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Interested to see the silicon lottery overclocking results. How long after launch do they usually release those?

Wondering if the 2700 is going to be the best bet.

SiliconLottery dropped all their binned Ryzen SKUs once it came to light that AMD was skimming all the best dies for Threadripper, so they might not bother testing 2nd gen Ryzen at all :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD actually does frequency binning, which is why you have a pretty tight range of overclock expectations per SKU with relatively few outliers and out of those, they seem to be restricted to utter comedy like an 8 core R3 1300x

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD actually does frequency binning, which is why you have a pretty tight range of overclock expectations per SKU with relatively few outliers and out of those, they seem to be restricted to utter comedy like an 8 core R3 1300x

This. Non X will consistently hit 3.9Ghz, X SKUs seem to hit about 200Mhz higher for similar voltage. Not a lot, but it's there, and I'd also wager it's easier to hit 3200/3600Mhz on X SKUs compared to not.

I'm starting to think Ryzen+ is going to be less about clocks and more about making the uncore less poo poo. They talk about memory latency as a focus, which sounds like it could be either IMC or IF related, I have no idea if they could legit make their L1/L2/L3 any faster since comparisons on launch seemed to be either similar or faster to Intel sans weird poo poo where CCX1 would try to read from CCX0's L3 because programs treat Ryzen as unified core design.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do Noctua still have the offer of the free parts needed to mount their fans on AM4 boards?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HalloKitty posted:

200MHz more at the same TDP isn't exactly getting me excited, but I guess it's a start

Given how abruptly 14nm runs into a frequency wall, it's possible that on a performance-optimized process there may be more OC headroom than 14nm allowed. But yeah, reality check, it's a new stepping on a tweaked process, 10% would be good, 15% would be exceptional, and more than 20% would probably be unrealistic. 5% isn't impossibly low either. Uncore improvements and stability fixes are probably the focus here, and big IPC gains (other than from uncore/IMC) are probably going to wait until Zen2.

On the other hand, AMD already has a leg up this time around, since they're less impacted by Spectre/Meltdown.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 19, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If its 10% then so be it. Even better with all the stability/errata/memory latency improvements you just mentioned. Small as that margin may be, it represents quite a bit of extra life and especially so if Zen2 is delayed by any significant amount. And speaking of Zen2, I'd rather drop it into a more up to date motherboard anyway.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I was thinking of getting a i7 8700 non-k, but with the crazy ram prices and now this Meltdown crap I just might wait for Zen+. Hope it's worth it!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ufarn posted:

Do Noctua still have the offer of the free parts needed to mount their fans on AM4 boards?

It wasn't a limited time thing: If you have a Noctua cooler and they make a mounting kit for it that you need and don't have, they'll give you one for free, always.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

How does Intel do it if not by frequency?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Aaaaaand there's the AMD Lawsuit over Spectre/Meltdown. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/17/amd_investors_sue_over_chip_flaw_silence/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That was a few days ago, and it's shareholders trying to sue AMD for inflated the price even though it's gone up during this the entire time. It didn't seem to do anything to the stock price when this was announced I doubt anything will come of it either. There's security reasons to not disclose early, they also will need to put a number on the losses which is going to be extremely hard when the price has gone up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

How does Intel do it if not by frequency?
Efficiency. Everything we get on desktop that's below LGA 2066 are leaky runt bins that can't be used for laptops. There's no frequency binning being done at all and the K parts are actually incredibly leaky (which turns out to be better OC the more powerful your cooling solution is), which is why when BCLK overclocking was a thing some people found that their i5-6400s clocked better than some 6700ks, which is exactly why Intel stopped it again.

The K parts are the absolute worst failure state of their binning strategy and it's hilarious that it's at a markup.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 20, 2018

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I walked into my not-oft used computer lab to find 4 of the 11 AMD Athlon x2 4000 PCs hung at the windows 10 startup logo because of the spectre/meltdown Windows update. Thanks Intel/MS/Obama? I have yet to find a fix that doesn't require reinstalling, is anyone aware of any?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OldPueblo posted:

I walked into my not-oft used computer lab to find 4 of the 11 AMD Athlon x2 4000 PCs hung at the windows 10 startup logo because of the spectre/meltdown Windows update. Thanks Intel/MS/Obama? I have yet to find a fix that doesn't require reinstalling, is anyone aware of any?

System restore.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Efficiency. Everything we get on desktop that's below LGA 2066 are leaky runt bins that can't be used for laptops. There's no frequency binning being done at all and the K parts are actually incredibly leaky (which turns out to be better OC the more powerful your cooling solution is), which is why when BCLK overclocking was a thing some people found that their i5-6400s clocked better than some 6700ks, which is exactly why Intel stopped it again.

The K parts are the absolute worst failure state of their binning strategy and it's hilarious that it's at a markup.

Huh! Thanks. That makes a lot of things about overclockability make sense that previously didn't.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is just a *little* bit too delicious. And again, a reason why a combined CPU thread would be bad.

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1801.2/04628.html

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is just a *little* bit too delicious. And again, a reason why a combined CPU thread would be bad.

code:
 Have you _looked_ at the patches you are talking about? You should
have - several of them bear your name.

The patches do things like add the garbage MSR writes to the kernel
entry/exit points. That's insane. That says "we're trying to protect
the kernel". We already have retpoline there, with less overhead.

So somebody isn't telling the truth here. Somebody is pushing complete
garbage for unclear reasons. Sorry for having to point that out.

If this was about flushing the BTB at actual context switches between
different users, I'd believe you. But that's not at all what the
patches do.

As it is, the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE.

They do literally insane things. They do things that do not make
sense. That makes all your arguments questionable and suspicious. The
patches do things that are not sane.

WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON?

And that's actually ignoring the much _worse_ issue, namely that the
whole hardware interface is literally mis-designed by morons.

It's mis-designed for two major reasons:

- the "the interface implies Intel will never fix it" reason.

See the difference between IBRS_ALL and RDCL_NO. One implies Intel
will fix something. The other does not.

Do you really think that is acceptable?

- the "there is no performance indicator".

The whole point of having cpuid and flags from the
microarchitecture is that we can use those to make decisions.

But since we already know that the IBRS overhead is <i>huge</i> on
existing hardware, all those hardware capability bits are just
complete and utter garbage. Nobody sane will use them, since the cost
is too drat high. So you end up having to look at "which CPU stepping
is this" anyway.

I think we need something better than this garbage.
:circlefap:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
One might say Linus is having a meltdown

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For the less-technically-inclined: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16202882

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for shaping our industry Intel.

Also how does one foster a populist uprising of hardware consumers????¿???¿??????????

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Find out if Windows accepted the patches without saying a word, and then blasting them on it, I suppose.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Thanks for shaping our industry Intel.

Also how does one foster a populist uprising of hardware consumers????¿???¿??????????

Unfortunately, our predecessors were just fine with using proprietary bullshit, so there's no real competition right now. Start buying open source hardware and hope it catches up some day.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't think there will be enough unrest to topple all this inertia until people actually start dying over the issue, goodness forbid.

Alternatively, who wants to join me in starting a buttcoin based on the level of danger loosed on the public by developer neglect and/or collusion

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I don't think there will be enough unrest to topple all this inertia until people actually start dying over the issue, goodness forbid.

Alternatively, who wants to join me in starting a buttcoin based on the level of danger loosed on the public by developer neglect and/or collusion

I'd rather see folding at home turned into some kind of buttcoin like currency so the mining would actually do something and people could trade them on the value that they did something good and there is a limited amount of research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not much of that is readable, but Linus has gotten just as mad at things like GNOME and SuSE before, so his being salty over something isn't exactly world shattering.

The name of the exact file is lost in my hazy memory, but this reminds me of the version of MS-DOS that was so terrible that developers started writing applications that refused to run if the version of DOS was higher than the previous release, assuming that this was the new direction and MS-DOS would be flaming garbage forevermore. When Microsoft released the next major revision of DOS and addressed many of the complaints, they included a .SYS file or something that looked for programs that had this characteristic and lied about it's version. If you're trying to run enterprise Linux, something similar where modern era Intel CPUs are treated as untrustworthy will probably be in order. Most of the enhancements and efficiencies of the past decade would be lost if you disabled branch prediction on consumer CPUs, it's understandable why Intel wouldn't want it enabled by default in home/consumer environments.

My only thing about the threads was that there's nothing stopping people from posting in other threads or both. The implication that there's any sort of a wall is purely an illusion.