Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Been using a u2412 for the longest time and I'm mostly happy with it except for black levels while watching movies. Would something like https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GC2870H-1920x1080-Technology-Flicker-free/dp/B06XDSK4NN/ be good a secondary monitor for video watching? I also do a decent amount of video editing/amateur color correction but I'm guessing the u2412 would still be better for that?

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So we're getting 4K HDR 144Hz Gsync panels in Q1/Q2 '18 according to nvidia at CES, has anyone announced 1440p HDR 144Hz Gsync panels? That's what I want sometime this year, but I might as well drop the HDR requirement if no one is going to be doing it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

So in essence it sounds like theres no real reason to buy a monitor right now it sounds like. At least not one with gsync/144hz etc, if I can push 4k

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

So we're getting 4K HDR 144Hz Gsync panels in Q1/Q2 '18 according to nvidia at CES, has anyone announced 1440p HDR 144Hz Gsync panels? That's what I want sometime this year, but I might as well drop the HDR requirement if no one is going to be doing it.

I think ASUS and Acer did last year, saying later this year, but they're probably going to cost $1800-$2000+.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I thought those were 4k, Samsung had a 1440p Gsync w/ hdr on their roadmap, but haven't said anything about them. Either way they'll be stupid expensive.

That said, I just bought a 1440p without hdr, so they should be available any day now...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SourKraut posted:

I think ASUS and Acer did last year, saying later this year, but they're probably going to cost $1800-$2000+.

Oh f that. I dont care enough

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Statutory Ape posted:

So in essence it sounds like theres no real reason to buy a monitor right now it sounds like. At least not one with gsync/144hz etc, if I can push 4k

Can you push 4K @ >144fps, though?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Scholtz posted:

That’s my problem. Like I have a 1080Ti but I just have the one guys. I don’t want to run a 4K panel non native so want 1440p but HDR is the new hotness. Saw one of the videos of the CES display and there’s a character arc welding and guys say it actually hurts to look at how bright it is and I thought drat that’s cool - look at the sun in game and it’s actually super bright. That’d be neat. 4K whatever maybe later but 1440p hdr high refresh sounds awesome

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Scholtz posted:

It sounds like the monitors are going to be like 1800-2k each so its moot- i'm not going to drop $2k on a first gen of a product like that, especially not a monitor

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I looked back through most of the last few pages and it seems most people are trying to get advice on gaming monitors, but was hoping to get some thoughts on whether or not any of the following are worthwhile.

I don't play any games except D3 occasionally, and I'm not too worried about what Hz it's running at (and I have an iMac and Macbook Pro anyway, so it's not like I'm going to be pushing a ton of FPS).

I mostly just want something large with lots of screen real estate and it looks really good. Prefer great picture quality, but I'm not a photo/video editor so I don't need some perfect reproduction.

I was looking at the following, in order of cost:

* Dell U3818DW
* Acer XR382CQK
* Dell U3417W
* LG 34UC80

Anyone have any opinions / recommendations? I'd rather not spend over ~ $1k, but if I'm going to get the same quality for my needs for lower I don't see the point in spending extra for something I won't use.

Also, if there's something coming up soon that's worth waiting for I can wait... nothing urgent. I kind of wanted to see what the new Apple displays would be like, but who knows when they'll be released.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 14, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
LG’s monitors should have an edge over Dell if you’re a Mac user because they have Thunderbolt support which is super duper handy because you can use the monitor as a KVM switch and don’t need to use a second cable for USB like on the Dell monitors. One thing that annoys me about my Dell / Alienware monitor coming from mostly productivity-oriented monitors is that there’s only two inputs and with no Thunderbolt it’s kinda annoying. I’m an insane person that owns two 34” ultrawides and a 24” 4K monitor so input switching matters a bit more for me than for most.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Amazon has the Dell S2417DG 24 inch on sale for $365 right now, I think I’m going to jump on that ship. I have a GTX 1070 and I’m wasting all it’s horsepower with my old Asus 1080p 60hz monitor. Is the Dell a good match for a 1070? My main concern is that I won’t be able to push past 60 FPS in 1440p, but I can’t seem to find a consensus on that anywhere

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is the Dell a good match for a 1070? My main concern is that I won’t be able to push past 60 FPS in 1440p, but I can’t seem to find a consensus on that anywhere

It will depend what game you're playing and what settings, but you should be able to punch at least in the 75ish range on many games without degrading your settings too much. You can also always upgrade your GPU at a later point and then get even more out of it. GSync is gonna make it a lovely experience, in any event.

Do note that 1440p at 24" is gonna be a bit on the small side--the 27" model is usually recommended, albeit at a bit higher price.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

necrobobsledder posted:

LG’s monitors should have an edge over Dell if you’re a Mac user because they have Thunderbolt support which is super duper handy because you can use the monitor as a KVM switch and don’t need to use a second cable for USB like on the Dell monitors. One thing that annoys me about my Dell / Alienware monitor coming from mostly productivity-oriented monitors is that there’s only two inputs and with no Thunderbolt it’s kinda annoying. I’m an insane person that owns two 34” ultrawides and a 24” 4K monitor so input switching matters a bit more for me than for most.

Yeah I noticed that it was mostly LG pushing monitors with thunderbolt although that new dell 3818 has thunderbolt input. It’s god drat massive though at 38” which is both a pro and a con I guess, depending on desk measurements.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vomik posted:

Yeah I noticed that it was mostly LG pushing monitors with thunderbolt although that new dell 3818 has thunderbolt input. It’s god drat massive though at 38” which is both a pro and a con I guess, depending on desk measurements.

I mean, if you buy a car too big for your garage it isn't really the car's fault

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I'm looking for a new monitor, and since the price of GPU and RAM has skyrocketed I don't think I'll be upgrading my GTX 960 anytime soon.

Looking at 240hz monitors, since I'm not really interested in doing 1440p/144hz, do I need to pick up G-Sync on a 240hz monitor? Or would a cheaper one with FreeSync be fine?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm looking for a new monitor, and since the price of GPU and RAM has skyrocketed I don't think I'll be upgrading my GTX 960 anytime soon.

Looking at 240hz monitors, since I'm not really interested in doing 1440p/144hz, do I need to pick up G-Sync on a 240hz monitor? Or would a cheaper one with FreeSync be fine?

They'll both work just fine. The point of GSync is to smooth out poor GPU performance, more or less. With a 960, it would seem to me that unless you're just playing legacy or indy games that don't push your GPU at all, you'd be a prime candidate for GSync, since you'll be spending a lot of time in the sub-60 FPS zone. I'd suggest getting a 120/144/165Hz + GSync monitor before I'd get a 240Hz one, unless I was specing out something specifically for CS:GO or other game where people explicitly chase the highest FPS possible for competitive advantage.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Freesync does not work on Nvidia cards, so if you want something with that sort of tech it has to be Gsync.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I see Hannspree HQ272s are going cheap. £200 for 1440p 27" IPS? Sign me up! One thing though: what is HS-IPS? Googling literally just gets me sales pages for the same monitors

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HanSpree IPS probably lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

All of my monitors are Rexxed-IPS. Very high tech.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

RIP-S

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Lawl. So its bullshit. I actually got one but will probably just send it back without taking it out the box. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Lawl. So its bullshit. I actually got one but will probably just send it back without taking it out the box. Thanks!

Why? IPS is IPS, it's probably fine.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm considering a new monitor for strictly gaming. Currently using a 24" Ultrasharp that I bought in 2012, on a system with a 1070. I'm basically happy with 60 fps, and recognize that nothing I play really needs more than that, and also ignorance is bliss and I like hitting the "high/ultra" settings without paying any attention... which means 4k is something I can put off for ~5 years. Mostly I'd like to increase the size of the monitor (I sit in a recliner and rotate so my feet are kinda under where the monitor is), but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash (like less than $500 would be nice).

That said, is there something wrong with the HP Omen? I'm somewhat focused on this because Costco sells it for $350, and I can walk it back in to the return counter within 90 days if it sucks (although I'd rather not bother with the effort if it's a bad idea). I'm not aghast at the idea of paying more for a more current Ultrasharp again at 27", or something else I'm not considering. From reading this thread I'm just not sure what to look for if I'm not interested in paying g-sync prices and want a larger screen. I understand the basic pitfalls of what not to get, but don't really know what's wrong with stuff in this price/size range.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
HP is fine as long as you watch what you're getting in terms of resolution/panel type/refresh. They don't have a solid brand reputation one way or another IMO, but that's not really saying much, I don't really have strong affection for Acer or Asus either. I do seem to remember reading about their stands being kinda hokey but Acer/Asus have some ones that are kinda hokey too, especially in the cheaper models. Dell is really the company that consistently knocks it out of the park.

Dunno if I would go with an item that wasn't sold+shipped by Amazon though. You might get some poo poo from HP if you had a warranty issue 6 months down the road and needed warranty service.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dunno if I would go with an item that wasn't sold+shipped by Amazon though. You might get some poo poo from HP if you had a warranty issue 6 months down the road and needed warranty service.

I fully agree, I just linked to the amazon page because it has more detail than the Costco one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Surprise Giraffe posted:

i would A) open it and B) use it if it seems good

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If I can't get ufotest to sync at 144Hz, but it works at 120, is my monitor not able to perform up to spec?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Do desk-clamp style super heavy duty dual monitor arms exist?

I've got a dumb idea to mount a computer "floating" next to its monitor. (the case has VESA mount capability) Problem is, this thing could weigh like 40-50 pounds with a full watercooled system in it.

Sadly, the desk only really has one spot to mount a clamp to unless I get... creative. Hence the desire for a dual mount.

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011
I'm currently looking to upgrade my monitor setup, I've been using A Dell U2312HM as my primary monitor for over 8 years now and an LG L225W as my secondary monitor, and primary monitor for years before the Dell.
I'm thinking that I'm going to retire or give away the LG and use the Dell as a secondary monitor, so I'm in the market for a new primary monitor. Considering its been over 8 years since I last researched monitors I'm looking for some recommendations.

Is this a decent monitor for 4k gaming? Are there similarly priced monitors that have better specifications? Is it better to forgo G-sync for a larger monitor size for 4k gaming?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Deuce posted:

Do desk-clamp style super heavy duty dual monitor arms exist?

I've got a dumb idea to mount a computer "floating" next to its monitor. (the case has VESA mount capability) Problem is, this thing could weigh like 40-50 pounds with a full watercooled system in it.

Sadly, the desk only really has one spot to mount a clamp to unless I get... creative. Hence the desire for a dual mount.

This sounds like a terrible idea.

Do this instead.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjustable-Computer-Holder-MOUNT-PC01/dp/B01MEDE9WO

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beemo posted:

I'm currently looking to upgrade my monitor setup, I've been using A Dell U2312HM as my primary monitor for over 8 years now and an LG L225W as my secondary monitor, and primary monitor for years before the Dell.
I'm thinking that I'm going to retire or give away the LG and use the Dell as a secondary monitor, so I'm in the market for a new primary monitor. Considering its been over 8 years since I last researched monitors I'm looking for some recommendations.

Is this a decent monitor for 4k gaming? Are there similarly priced monitors that have better specifications? Is it better to forgo G-sync for a larger monitor size for 4k gaming?

It's a TN monitor so it's going to be okay but not amazing, I guess. You're going to have to pay a lot more for 4k, IPS, and G-SYNC. I'd forgo the 4k before the other two unless I was looking at 40" displays, honestly. Also don't forget you'll need a hell of a GPU (1080 Ti or Titan Xp) to get reasonable framerates at 4k.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

I want the case on top of the desk, not below it. This is pretty neat though. Unfortunately the case is not a traditional one and wouldn't work with this.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

We've used these types of under-desk mounts at work and let me tell you, they're loving terrible, avoid at all cost. They wouldn't be too bad if placed far out of the way, but when they share space with a chair and the user's legs, it's waaayyyy too easy to bump them (or the mount) far enough forward or backward to cause the PC to fall out and damage various things. Thankfully there was an office remodel with new equipment and work areas, but all of the old PCs mounted that way had case and/or port damage due to repeated falls, sometimes bending the devices/cables plugged in.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So my 27” 1920x1200 Viewsonic monitor from 2006 has suddenly stopped displaying most resolutions, regardless of input method. It’s been limping by for months where I have to unplug and replug to get it working, but now nothing. I game a little, mostly FFXIV, some PUBG, have a GTX 970, and want to stay with the same physical size...what are my options notice/resolution(s)?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

So my 27” 1920x1200 Viewsonic monitor from 2006 has suddenly stopped displaying most resolutions, regardless of input method. It’s been limping by for months where I have to unplug and replug to get it working, but now nothing. I game a little, mostly FFXIV, some PUBG, have a GTX 970, and want to stay with the same physical size...what are my options notice/resolution(s)?

27" 2560x1440 monitors are common, as are 1920x1080 20, 22, 23, 24, and 27". It's not impossible to find 1920x1200 monitors but they're not a "standard" resolution anymore so you generally pay a lot more and have fewer features. Most of the ones I can find on Amazon are 24" and overpriced.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Would you be willing to do 1920 x 1080 or do you really prefer the 1920 x 1200? Also are you willing to go up in resolution?

This one is 27" 1920 x 1080 and can do 75 hz refresh for ~ $210: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Full-Dual-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06Y18624J

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I'm looking to replace my LG 24" TN monitor from 2010. It's still going fine but I'd like some eyecandy for my new 1070.
Is it possible to have both a fast screen for gaming with decent color for photography editing? I'd like to try 144hz / g-sync, 1440p and use it for editing as well, but I think that'll push it way past affordable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Atomizer posted:

We've used these types of under-desk mounts at work and let me tell you, they're loving terrible, avoid at all cost. They wouldn't be too bad if placed far out of the way, but when they share space with a chair and the user's legs, it's waaayyyy too easy to bump them (or the mount) far enough forward or backward to cause the PC to fall out and damage various things. Thankfully there was an office remodel with new equipment and work areas, but all of the old PCs mounted that way had case and/or port damage due to repeated falls, sometimes bending the devices/cables plugged in.

I have a below style mount, it presses the computer from below and it would require considerable force to come loose. I also have the mount tilted between the side legs of the table, so the computer is pretty well out of the way.