Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In the end, the main event was by the numbers and Cometa/Soberano went home early (probably by mistake), and the actual match of the night was THE OPENER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5NRXIRd04&t=108s

Next up is Arena Puebla featuring mostly nothing due to stinkers being in every match, but a possibly good semi-final and POLICE MAN in the Segunda
https://twitter.com/Arena_Puebla/status/948218054323900416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That main event is gonna be Elder Luchador Madness, I'm down for it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Apparently Aro Lucha contracts and their business model in general will be a big story the next few days. I assume the Observer will cover it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rovert posted:

Apparently Aro Lucha contracts and their business model in general will be a big story the next few days. I assume the Observer will cover it.

Good or bad? I really want those Nazis to faceplant.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Good or bad? I really want those Nazis to faceplant.

The contract terms are really restrictive like the initial Lucha Underground ones were.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lufisto just announced she was on an Arolucha show so keep an eye on her bookings.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

rovert posted:

The contract terms are really restrictive like the initial Lucha Underground ones were.

if lucha underground people fall for the same thing again i'm not sure if that will be funny or sad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

if lucha underground people fall for the same thing again i'm not sure if that will be funny or sad

Falling for the same thing on top of agreeing to be booked by Vince Russo and a couple of proud boys

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone do a basic post on how to watch Lucha (like is there a RH for Lucha) and what groups there are that aren’t CMLL, which you can watch on Fite and NJPW (which you need a VPN for) and AAA?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can someone do a basic post on how to watch Lucha (like is there a RH for Lucha) and what groups there are that aren’t CMLL, which you can watch on Fite and NJPW (which you need a VPN for) and AAA?

Lucha is really easy to watch. CMLL airs the Monday show from Puebla on youtube at 10 PM Eastern. I also restream that on PSP-TV. Tuesday from Arena Mexico is also on youtube but the Tuesday shows are very skippable. The big show of the week is on Friday, you can watch it on Claro's website or the Marca Claro facebook at 9:30 PM Eastern. The Facebook stream is better quality and has emojis, it is far superior. Their two biggest shows of the year in March and September have been iPPVs the last couple years but whether that continues is hard to say, CMLL is very random.

AAA doesn't exist.

Most of the smaller groups there's IWRG which ends up on youtube pretty quickly, Lucha Memes which puts on some good shows, The Crash which just kicked Konnan out, and really a ton of groups. It's hard to keep track.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 17, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

No one outside of CMLL does regular streams. AAA streams but it's a bit irregular and only for some of their major shows. I'm not sure if there's anyone else who really streams because after those 2 and The Crash it's basically like in the US 8ndy acene from a few years ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

CMLL:

Monday - show is streamed live every week at 10:00 EST PM on their YouTube and is immediately archived.

Tuesday - streamed live every week(8:30 EST) also on [url=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3lOpKjW4_j4PGXWLNTt4iQ]Youtube
and immediately archived

Friday - 9:30 EDT Start time, streamed on Claro Sports website and facebook page. CMLL will upload it to their youtube by the following morning.

Indies:

This is more Boco T's area of expertise (watch for his uploads in this thread), but you want to subscribe to Mas Lucha and thecubsfan.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
AAA airs one 90-minute block of TV per week that gets posted as a 70-minute single file on Saturday nights on Youtube:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCMA4MOXJ3L5K9jKEDyFX6LQ

That includes their big shows, which air over two Saturdays. So if you watch that hour file every week you are completely up to date. They just don’t have very many good matches.

I’ll post some more when I’m not at work.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I forgot to write some more about watching indie lucha online. Maybe I'll write something up this weekend and turn it into a post on my site.

In the mean time, here's 7 matches I liked: 3 from CMLL so far in January and then 4 from indies in December.

Keyra vs Lacey Lane – The Crash – 12/03/2017 – FUN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_p6dp7l5C0
I watched this one after the Ludark match below, and I think it was a bit better. Lacey and Keyra had been wrestling each other in team matches for the entire November tour with The Crash and this was finally their singles meeting. They worked well together. The sequence on the outside was interesting, both had some nice spots, and the crowd was into it.

Keyra vs Ludark Shaitan – Generación XXI – 12/18/2017 – FUN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukas3IH4ddk
Nothing out of this world, but a nice example of what you get from Keyra when you let her go 10 minutes instead of 6. Keyra tries to wrestle, but Ludark only wants to punish. Couple of your standard Keyra match spots where she or her opponent take what looks like a way-too-hard kick or knee. Special surprise at the end as well.

Demus vs Wotan (beard vs hair) – Generación XXI – 12/18/2017 – FUN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4ffJZJI3Q
Wild, nasty brawl. The Demus Special. Wotan bleeds an incredible amount. The booking is weird, but the violence outweighs it. And when was the last time you saw someone bet their beard on a match?

Daga vs Caifán – Lucha Memes – 12/25/2017 – GOOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmYIMkJW6Wo
Between the time this happened and the time this got posted (one week), Caifán announced his retirement on Facebook (on Dia de los Inocentes of all days) and apparently actually retired. Just on the strenght of this Daga match and the Mr. Niebla one that got posted last week, I’m glad that we got to see his work in the ring, not to mention all the other ones through his 26 years. In this match, Daga knows he’ll have to go hard to hang with the veteran, and some of the kicks he delivers are almost too hard. You get the excellent trademark of Coliseo Coacalco: the battle spilling into the fans’ laps. When Caifán gets the upper hand, you can see he’s reveling in it.

Negro Casas vs Sam Adonis (hair vs hair) – CMLL – 01/01/2018 – EPIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcnzEeCEZc0&t=1h55m21s
Sam Adonis goes after a second CMLL legend’s hair and turns in his top performance yet. As was the case in the Mexico vs Trump match-up with Blue Panther, the crowd is nuclear and rightfully so. Negro is an all-timer and he gets the best possible out of Sam. Must see. Special mention to Sam’s trunks, Sam’s “seconds,” and Sam’s 450. And every big move that Negro Casas takes. By the way, Negro’s rib was broken the entire third fall.

Fiero, Flyer, Magia Blanca vs El Coyote, Templario, Yago – CMLL – 01/06/2018 – GREAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5NRXIRd04#t=108s
The other 51 weeks out of the year it’s almost always safe to skip the first and usually second matches on a CMLL Friday show. 1/6 was a special Saturday show for Three Kings’ Day and I guess they told the prelim guys they could do whatever they wanted. So they went wild, and it turned out great. Match is only about 10 minutes long and it’s worth your time. Plus you get to see Yago’s entrance. Afterwards they do a ceremony to present Fiero with the legacy gimmick of “El Audaz” and promise more opportunities for young wrestlers in 2018. I look forward to the Audaz/Templario rivalry continuing for the foreseeable future.

Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Hechicero – CMLL – 01/15/2018 – GREAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkENj941cWM&t=01h15m31s
A completely entertaining wrestling match with a ten minute time limit. You see the personalities of the guys and you get some really cool moves. Being free of the three fall structure helps the match. The main drawback of this kind of excellent performance in the middle of the usually lackluster Monday show is that you know that CMLL has the kind of roster that can put something this good on every show and yet this will just end up being “one of the only really good Puebla matches of the year.”

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/953829694507495425

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 18, 2018

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Umm wow, thank you guys all for the super detailed and informative posts. It looks like I have a lot of stuff to start with.

Oh I just want to add that the CMLL Robo girls are hilarious. I say Robo girls because they do literally the most basic dance movement once and repeat it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if there was one thing that WWE should steal from Lucha, its the dancing girls. I see it as a great way to get a pretty lady on TV who might not be terribly charismatic or physically capable of wrestling.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If there’s one thing wrestling needs more of it’s objectification of women

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I love the CMLL Nitro Girls

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

I love the CMLL Nitro Girls

EDECANES!!!!

Boco_T posted:

The Puebla edecanes are smart, sexy and powerful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

if there was one thing that WWE should steal from Lucha, its the dancing girls. I see it as a great way to get a pretty lady on TV who might not be terribly charismatic or physically capable of wrestling.

Go watch early TNA

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

exploded mummy posted:

Go watch early TNA

Don't put them in cages, that's fuckin dumb. caged women get FCC calls.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Fantasticamania - Nagoya
NJPW/CMLL - 2018-01-12
File's on RealHero Archive, approximate timestamps for matches included below.

1) Drone vs Disturbio - 0:03 - OK
2) Fuego & Star Jr. vs Okumura & Puma - 0:14 - OK
3) Ángel de Oro, Jushin Liger, Ryusuke Taguchi, Tiger Mask vs Cuatrero, Rocky Romero, SHO, YOH - 0:30 - OK
4) Niebla Roja, Soberano Jr., Volador Jr. vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Gran Guerrero, Sansón - 0:49 - FUN
5) Dragón Lee, Hirai Kawato, Kushida, Satoshi Kojima vs Bushi, Hiromu Takahashi, Rush, Tetsuya Naito - 1:07 - FUN
6) Atlantis, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mistico vs Gedo, Kazuchika Okada, Último Guerrero - 1:31 - FUN

Best match was the fourth, though the Ingobernables match had a good atmosphere. No particular matches really worth going out of your way to see, this was the first show of the tour. Main event wasn't that good of a match, though Mistico and Ultimo Guerrero were very good. Tanahashi has no reason on Earth to be wrestling any matches on this tour.

Notables:
- I laughed out loud repeatedly at Okada being unable to correctly raise the roof.
- Puma does an appeal to the crowd and then the Casita but it gets no reaction. Probably because nobody in Nagoya at a New Japan show gets his connection to Negro Casas.
- They do very weird entrance orders that cause the Mexican announce to start to call match 3 as a trios match after all the New Japan guys are in the ring before the ref tells him to wait because Cuatrero and Angel de Oro are getting their own separate ring entrances.
- There's like two minutes of Dragon Lee/Kamaitachi that is as beautiful and perfect as it always is.
- Soberano Jr. continues to be one of the best in the world (and he's still only 24 years old).

thecubsfan posted his review of the show as well.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Fantasticamania 2018 - Korakuen Hall Night One
NJPW/CMLL - 2018-01-19
NJPW World

1) Fuego vs Okumura - 0:10 - BAD
2) Dragón Lee, Hirai Kawato, Satoshi Kojima, Star Jr. vs Bushi, Hiromu Takahashi, Rush, Tetsuya Naito - 0:21 - FUN
3) Atlantis, Drone, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Disturbio, Puma, Último Guerrero - 0:48 - FUN
4) Ángel de Oro © vs Cuatrero [CMLL MIDDLE] - 1:25 - GOOD
5) Soberano Jr. © vs Sansón [MEX WELTER] - 1:42 - GREAT
6) Niebla Roja © vs Gran Guerrero [CMLL LH] - 2:00 - GREAT

I liked match 5 slightly more than 6, but they were both really good. Soberano is one of my favorite wrestlers and Sansón's charisma is undeniable. Both Dinamitas did a good job in singles competition. The last three matches are definitely worth your time.

Notables:
- I have no loving time in 2018 for a "valet kiss" moment, much less one that ends with Okumura slapping Mima. Give me a break.
- Rush's wife and son are seen at the end as he walks out after the match, his son has on a "Muńoz Family Hybrid Mask" incorporating Pierroth, Rush, Mistico, and Dragon Lee.
- Atlantis can barely go since he just got off a long injury layoff and he's so old. Glad they took this into account when booking the card.
- Crowd was good. Really bummed that they have to mute all the music because it means they mute all the intros by the Mexican announcer.

thecubsfan posted his review of the show, where he liked Roja/Gran best.

https://twitter.com/rushtoroblanco/status/954255836582330368

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Fantasticamania 2018 - Korakuen Hall Night Two
NJPW/CMLL - 2018-01-21
NJPW World

1) Drone & Star Jr. vs Disturbio & Puma - 0:14 - SKIPPABLE
2) Fuego, Ryusuke Taguchi, Soberano Jr. vs Okumura, SHO, YOH - 0:29 - FUN
3) Atlantis, Hirai Kawato, Kushida, Satoshi Kojima vs Bushi, Hiromu Takahashi, Rush, Tetsuya Naito - 0:48 - FUN
4) Ángel de Oro & Niebla Roja vs Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero [CMLL Hermanos, semifinal] - 1:21 - GOOD
5) Dragón Lee & Mistico vs Cuatrero & Sansón [CMLL Hermanos, semifinal] - 1:43 - OK
6) Volador Jr. © vs Bárbaro Cavernario [NWA WELTER] - 1:59 - EXCELLENT

Main event was outstanding, with both guys getting their moves in and the crowd and commentary heightening the drama.

Notables:
- Drone and Disturbio had a real bad night here, and this is not the type of show you want to have a bad night.
- Taguchi was on fire here. Wasn't a fan of the "face in Mima's rear end" spot but it's more forgivable in a comedy bit.
- Soberano continues to shine.
- Thanking the heavens that Atlantis has been talked out of doing a dive.
- Cuatrero and Sansón did not have it as a team tonight. Mistico wasn't great either, Dragón Lee was the glue in that match. Disappointing first night to the Brothers Tournament.
- The single track generic music overdub is worse than silence.

thecubsfan's review with gifs.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Konnan did an “invasion” in the MDA promotion in Monterrey tonight.

His stable invading consists of him, Sexy Star, Juventud Guerrera, and Kevin Kross. Oof.
http://twitter.com/thefredork/status/955289143025782785
http://twitter.com/luchamaniamty/status/955290418077290496

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wish there was footage of Konnan in his heyday when he was the "Hulk Hogan of Mexico"

Mostly because I find it really hard to believe.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

coconono posted:

I wish there was footage of Konnan in his heyday when he was the "Hulk Hogan of Mexico"

Dave gave Konnan vs Cien Caras vs Jake Roberts, a 4 minute match, 4.5 stars in 1993 because he was there live in LA and the crowd was insane

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

There's plenty on youtube.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

Dave gave Konnan vs Cien Caras vs Jake Roberts, a 4 minute match, 4.5 stars in 1993 because he was there live in LA and the crowd was insane

I enjoyed how most of the time he grudgingly gives them *** saying the match was horrible but the heat was insane. So funny to think that this was the start of AAA's 20 year effort to get into the US which concluded with... Lucha Underground.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Konnan had crazy heat and very well timed bullshit finishes in his day. The stunt brother for his unmasking is one of my favorite things ever.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Fantasticamania 2018 - Korakuen Hall Night Three
NJPW/CMLL - 2018-01-22
NJPW World

1) Fuego & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Disturbio & Puma - 0:10 - GOOD
2) Jushin Liger, Kushida, Star Jr., Tiger Mask vs Okumura, Rocky Romero, SHO, YOH - 0:25 - OK
3) Ángel de Oro & Niebla Roja vs Cuatrero & Sansón [CMLL Hermanos, third place] - 0:43 - GOOD
4) Atlantis & Hirai Kawato vs Bárbaro Cavernario & Gedo - 0:58 - OK
5) Drone, Soberano Jr., Volador Jr. vs Bushi, Hiromu Takahashi, Tetsuya Naito - 1:12 - FUN
6) Satoshi Kojima vs Rush - 1:30 - GREAT
7) Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero vs Dragón Lee & Mistico [CMLL Hermanos, final] - 1:48 - GREAT

I probably over-rated the Rush match due to my bias towards Rush matches and the fact that they let him do one in Korakuen Hall, but I stand by my rating for that one.

Notables:
- Fuego and Taguchi need to be a permanent team. The crowd shots made it appear as if they have made a lot of money selling paper mummy tomb masks emblazoned with a 69. Good for Ryusuke.
- Cuatrero and Sansón had a better night tonight. My hypothesis is that they wore underwear tights last night and the underwear tights are cursed.
- Good luck to Kawato in Mexico. I hope he gets to wrestle Police Man and Kraneo.
- Maybe they will let Soberano stay in Japan. But Rush should be in the G1 and he should win it.
- Rush's young son got in the ring with his uncles Mistico and Dragon Lee at the end. I made a gif of it below.

thecubsfan's final day review.

https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/955609912448618502

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Boco_T posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7b-9CuorCA

This was too edited for me to really get the gist of it, but I will say Konnan had an impressive vertical leap. Bout midway through Cien Caras doesn't duck fully during the leapfrog and Konnan effortlessly goes over him. Jake flail kicking Sagrada and nearly breaking his neck on the ropes was pretty nutso.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why was Konan so popular?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Why was Konan so popular?

Steroids and lots of charisma.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i don't know how much interest any of ya'll have in this, but i made it my 2018 wrestling goal to watch as much lucha as possible (and to make it my priority outside of dragon gate). i decided to make a blog about this. nothing super serious. just stuff i've watched and i'll probably toss some posts up as we get deeper into 2018 about who i'm digging, what i've found myself watching the most, etc. anyways here's the link: https://lucha2018.wordpress.com/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boco_T posted:

would it be better if there were sexy men too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

would it be better if there were sexy men too

Wrestling has no deficit of sexy men, but there's always room for more

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Disappointed we didn't get an Aerostar dive

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
La Máscara and Maximo just saved Psycho Clown and AAA tweeted calling them those names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
congratulations AAA for booking a main event cage match that ended in DQ because someone threw water at the participants