Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the final concensus is basically that at best face id is as good as touchid and at worse is worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
tbf I have a couple friends with various skin conditions which make it impossible for Touch ID to work for them, but Face ID is completely fine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

r u ready to WALK posted:

If you want a speaker as pretentious as your touchbar macbook there's really only one option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UylgBnQV-g

Dang this poo poo owns

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jimmy Carter posted:

tbf I have a couple friends with various skin conditions which make it impossible for Touch ID to work for them, but Face ID is completely fine.

face id has been nice going for runs in the cold while wearing gloves.

i like it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

its me im the guy going out running in the ice and snow with my $1000 telephone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Linguica posted:

its me im the guy going out running in the ice and snow with my $1000 telephone

i too wear clothes

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you’re not using your waterproof shovelphone to dig snow then what is it even good for in -20 celsius

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jimmy Carter posted:

does faceid handle skin conditions in the face like bad teen acne, or the flesh-eating virus afflicting steve bannon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

does faceid handle skin conditions in the face like bad teen acne, or the flesh-eating virus afflicting steve bannon?
it "handles" beards and scarves and such, i'm sure acne is fine

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

echinopsis posted:

the final concensus is basically that at best face id is as good as touchid and at worse is worse

it was good when I was skiing and wanted to take a selfie without taking off my gloves

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I was skiing and wanted to take a selfie without taking off my gloves

Apple’s target market at play

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Apple’s target market at play

gloves aren't that fun

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
that's a classic video lol wow ages old internet there

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
its me I'm the guy who has a life and expects technology to comport itself to my needs rather than subjugating myself before a high technology museum piece

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

face id works a lot better than it sounds like it should work

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also faceid is the first iteration of the technology. the first implementation of touchid was slow and had a high failure rate, now its lightning fast and hella reliable. faceid will develop the same way, people using the iphone xii will wonder how they ever got along without it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
faceid is already better than the first touchid implementation. touchid on my 5s was worthless.

(i miss that form factor, though)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

faceid is already better than the first touchid implementation. touchid on my 5s was worthless.

i have some good news in that regard

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

it "handles" beards and scarves and such, i'm sure acne is fine

dunno. scarfs are ok bc the IR goes through them. to some degree it probably does for hair, too, plus hair grows slowly so the face model adapts. otoh acne can cause significant deformation of the skin itself from one day to the next.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

otoh acne can cause significant deformation of the skin itself from one day to the next.
timb makes public statement, acknowledging the problem and stating that the official apple solution is for gross nerds to wash their ugly faces once in a while

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

dunno. scarfs are ok bc the IR goes through them. to some degree it probably does for hair, too, plus hair grows slowly so the face model adapts. otoh acne can cause significant deformation of the skin itself from one day to the next.

the depth detection is not sensitive enough to pick up acne. it is a basic model of your face dictated by the shape of your bones, not skin texture.

also if IR goes through your scarf then it is not a good scarf. or hair.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dang this poo poo owns
its pretty good, but their integrated amps are the real poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that devialet thing is pretty cool but if you're not a russian/emirati oil baron you can do a lot better for a fraction of the money

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

qirex posted:

that devialet thing is pretty cool but if you're not a russian/emirati oil baron you can do a lot better for a fraction of the money

with what? I really want sphere speakers now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ive never tried anything "better" than what I have on my 5s and worthless is the last way I'd used to describe it

id even go as far to say as it's worthwhile

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty much anything? if you want all integrated stuff I guess the naim mu-so, kef ls50w or dynaudio xeo, otherwise a sonos connect:amp or bluesond powernode and a pair of tower speakers

weird speaker designs are fun but boring rectangles generally sound the best for the money. devialet sent a bunch of phantom golds out for reviews and while steve's awesome gadget blog gave them great reviews people who listen to speakers for a living we pretty meh about it

e:

quote:

Works ok as a single bluetooth speaker, but put it together with a second, a dialog and a volume control and you've got the clunkiest most unrealiable, frustrating experience you can imagine -- and support is unbearable; after weeks of emails, downloading many logs, I have absolutely not one piece of useful advice from them. I'm so sick of listening to music with speakers jumping in and out that i'm ready to throw $7K of equipment out the window.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 18, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

qirex posted:

pretty much anything? if you want all integrated stuff I guess the naim mu-so, kef ls50w or dynaudio xeo, otherwise a sonos connect:amp and a pair of tower speakers

weird speaker designs are fun but boring rectangles generally sound the best for the money. devialet sent a bunch of phantom golds out for reviews and while steve's awesome gadget blog gave them great reviews people who listen to speakers for a living we pretty meh about it

e:

HomePod is *JUST* around the corner though, and I've already waited one year... 🤔

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/homepod-release-date-3642373/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the clunkiest most unrealiable, frustrating experience you can imagine
please ddont dox my tinder feedback

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i looked up the first bose speaker to make the above post in their defense (ensuring that i recalled correctly that they had been making speakers for 50 years), and was a bit surprised that while the 901 was their first *famous* speaker (and introduced exactly 50 years ago, it was preceded by the weird 2201:

was designed to work well in the usually rather bad acoustic situation of being crammed into a corner of a room. what i learned from this is that bose really has the right dna to (continue to) prosper in the market of making weird speakers

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
some of the restaurants in the renovated United terminal at Newark use them to look cool

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

the depth detection is not sensitive enough to pick up acne. it is a basic model of your face dictated by the shape of your bones, not skin texture.

also if IR goes through your scarf then it is not a good scarf. or hair.

i don't know enough about apple's algorithms vs what they put in their ad copy to argue with this. i would have assumed bone structure alone wasn't good enough for accurately distinguishing faces but i don't know poo poo about biometrics.

blocking IR has nothing to do with being a good scarf tho. clothes (and hair) keep you warm by reducing heat loss due to convection and conduction. if u wrap your nude body in aluminum foil it traps in your IR radiation but you'll still freeze to death on a cold night.

if it isn't getting IR through the scarf then how is it seeing that hidden bone structure? its not just using a tiny piece of the face around the eyes, i right?

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 18, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i looked up the first bose speaker to make the above post in their defense (ensuring that i recalled correctly that they had been making speakers for 50 years), and was a bit surprised that while the 901 was their first *famous* speaker (and introduced exactly 50 years ago, it was preceded by the weird 2201:

was designed to work well in the usually rather bad acoustic situation of being crammed into a corner of a room. what i learned from this is that bose really has the right dna to (continue to) prosper in the market of making weird speakers

that’s cool. for their more normal stuff, in general Bose is good they just have ‘premium pricing’ where you can get better products at cost parity. this doesn’t jibe well with nerds obsessed with min-maxing their purchases but who cares about that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

some of the restaurants in the renovated United terminal at Newark use them to look cool

ugh now the ipad pox has spread to united?

what's left where you can still sit and have a drink in peace

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

skip the goofy designs and get a pair of elac b6

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

skip the goofy designs and get a pair of elac b6
I finally heard those and wasn't that impressed, they're not awful but you can get really good speakers like the kef q100 or canton gle on closeout for less that don't roll off the top octave

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:patriot:

what the hell is all that poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

graph posted:

:patriot:

what the hell is all that poo poo

it’s THE FUTURE, grandpa

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
so i'm finally getting in to the swing of using a mac for work and trying to remember the keyboard commands to do poo poo.

i had a minor freakout when i could not find the open or closed apple keys.

jonny had to talk me off a ledge on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

I finally heard those and wasn't that impressed, they're not awful but you can get really good speakers like the kef q100 or canton gle on closeout for less that don't roll off the top octave

i like my b6s :colbert: