Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Boss' boss directly emailed me to set up a laptop and some TV's or a meeting with 45 mins notice even though I'm in the middle of doing actual important infrastructure stuff for our office move.

Despite being told repeatedly that "we don't do meeting support" unless my boss approves it first, and also that "we need to focus on our priorities," and that we don't answer direct emails unless there is a ticket," and that, "there is no such thing as an urgent meeting support request" I decided to agree to assist her.

I emailed her back saying I needed her to come by and sign into the laptop before the meeting so that her roaming profile could sync and she'd have her files. She apparently took this to mean, that she wouldn't have to do poo poo and that everything would magically work and she can leave half an hour earlier than she said she was going to so she could go have dinner with her husband. No chance for me to even bring the laptop to her office and get her to sign in.

Sooooo... I created a local profile, moved the files I knew she'd need and set her up. Boss storms into the meeting "to check on me" and is absolutely loving livid that she's not on the wireless network with the laptop I was told specifically not to whitelist and that she isn't signed into her profile which she all but refused to do.

Cue me sitting outside the meeting with him and 3 other laptops while he is ranting some nonsensical bullshit and panickedly yelling at me to get one whitelisted to connect (yeah that poo poo isn't even set up yet) for an hour and a half while she is merrily clicking away through her presentation, completely unbeknownst to him. Finally after I explained for the nth time that she was fine and the presentation had been over for some time, he starts ranting about how he's pissed that he huffs off pissed that he didn't pick up his kids from his ex-wife on time (it's now 9pm). :psyduck: What a miserable gently caress. He'd rather yell at me for an hour and a half about nothing than go be with his own kids.

Today where he pulls me aside to tell me that his boss claims that "she set up a time to meet with me beforehand, but I didn't show up." So, I forwarded him an email with all of her emails attached, phone records of me calling her and no answer, and finally confirmation from a 3rd party that she basically emailed me then left the office.

This kind of poo poo is the reason we've lost 3 people (out of 8) in the last year and a 4th that's just hanging on by a thread. I guess it's time to start documenting every communication I have with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I guess it's time to start documenting every communication I have with anyone.

More like hopefully start looking for a new workplace that is less toxic? But yeah also this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sheep posted:

More like hopefully start looking for a new workplace that is less toxic? But yeah also this.

Well... yeah I'm already on that, but also if I get fired I want a nice severance to keep me quiet like the last guy that turned in two 3" - 3 ring binders of dirt on the guy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well... yeah I'm already on that, but also if I get fired I want a nice severance to keep me quiet like the last guy that turned in two 3" - 3 ring binders of dirt on the guy.

My dad was working at a company and he used a micro-cassette (this was in the 90s) to retain meeting details. Everyone knew he used it and he always placed it on the table.

So new VP. Comes sweeping in and smugly says something to effect of "We need to cut costs. So I'll be hiring newer, younger engineers because they are cheaper" Two weeks later my dad gets laid off.

He lawyered up, lawyer plays tape for the company's legal dept, and my dad got a massive severance and benefits package that lasted until he was 65 (so about 8 years). Bonus: he immediately went to work for small boutique engineering firm (his specialty was very niche) and ended up working the contract for his old position at almost twice his old wage while still getting his severance and paid benefits.

tldr: ALWAYS keep a Pearl Harbor File.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Boss' boss directly emailed me to set up a laptop and some TV's or a meeting with 45 mins notice even though I'm in the middle of doing actual important infrastructure stuff for our office move.

Despite being told repeatedly that "we don't do meeting support" unless my boss approves it first, and also that "we need to focus on our priorities," and that we don't answer direct emails unless there is a ticket," and that, "there is no such thing as an urgent meeting support request" I decided to agree to assist her.

I emailed her back saying I needed her to come by and sign into the laptop before the meeting so that her roaming profile could sync and she'd have her files. She apparently took this to mean, that she wouldn't have to do poo poo and that everything would magically work and she can leave half an hour earlier than she said she was going to so she could go have dinner with her husband. No chance for me to even bring the laptop to her office and get her to sign in.

Sooooo... I created a local profile, moved the files I knew she'd need and set her up. Boss storms into the meeting "to check on me" and is absolutely loving livid that she's not on the wireless network with the laptop I was told specifically not to whitelist and that she isn't signed into her profile which she all but refused to do.

Cue me sitting outside the meeting with him and 3 other laptops while he is ranting some nonsensical bullshit and panickedly yelling at me to get one whitelisted to connect (yeah that poo poo isn't even set up yet) for an hour and a half while she is merrily clicking away through her presentation, completely unbeknownst to him. Finally after I explained for the nth time that she was fine and the presentation had been over for some time, he starts ranting about how he's pissed that he huffs off pissed that he didn't pick up his kids from his ex-wife on time (it's now 9pm). :psyduck: What a miserable gently caress. He'd rather yell at me for an hour and a half about nothing than go be with his own kids.

Today where he pulls me aside to tell me that his boss claims that "she set up a time to meet with me beforehand, but I didn't show up." So, I forwarded him an email with all of her emails attached, phone records of me calling her and no answer, and finally confirmation from a 3rd party that she basically emailed me then left the office.

This kind of poo poo is the reason we've lost 3 people (out of 8) in the last year and a 4th that's just hanging on by a thread. I guess it's time to start documenting every communication I have with anyone.

Life's too short to put up with that kind of bullshit, but it seems like you already know that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Bicycles are great. Except like today, when it's storming.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

preserving this gem just in case he changes his mind

"Never regret anything" -a literal clam man

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

loving awesome. Someone is saturating our internet connection, and our network monitoring was set up incorrectly to figure out what, who, and where. We’re still getting intermittent outages. I’m phone posting now because I can’t reach SA from my PC. And this started yesterday. Whee! Glad it’s not my problem. Well, I mean, it’s a problem *for* me, but I don’t have to fix it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like somebody torrenting hentai... again!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Darchangel posted:

loving awesome. Someone is saturating our internet connection, and our network monitoring was set up incorrectly to figure out what, who, and where. We’re still getting intermittent outages. I’m phone posting now because I can’t reach SA from my PC. And this started yesterday. Whee! Glad it’s not my problem. Well, I mean, it’s a problem *for* me, but I don’t have to fix it.

Someone installed Star Citizen on the corporate network.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Darchangel posted:

Had this happen in the olden days. We took switches offline one by one until we narrowed it down. It was surprisingly quick despite it being 100+ switches. We had the culprit figured out in half a hour. Monitoring got so much more support after that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Check your edge router or firewall to find the adress that's the source or destination of the traffic.
Look up the ARP entry for the adress.
Find the switchport for that hardware adress in your switches and disable it. No need to take anything else offline.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Collateral Damage posted:

Check your edge router or firewall to find the adress that's the source or destination of the traffic.
Find the switchport for that hardware adress in your switches and disable it. No need to take anything else offline.

This is of course the answer but the edge device at the time was a giant piece of poo poo and the person responsible for it was even worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For a long time we had ancient unmanaged switches in our office without any sort of loop protection and someone managed to accidentally bridge their wired and wireless networks.

I got lucky. The wireless in that person's notebook had died recently and were using a dongle as a stopgap. I was able to isolate the offending MAC address with Wireshark and look up the manufacturer which narrowed the field significantly.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
One of the finance guys came over this morning and wanted to take an usb stick. My boss gave him one. But I asked, what for?
It's to send files for an audit to the auditor. Finance stuff, I guess.
I tell him, Why don't we set up a sftp server so that the auditor can connect via that and grab the files. No usb sticks involved.

Got basically told. "This is how we've done it for years and it works. But i'll check with finance director about your idea. Thanks for the usb stick!"

Just now, he came back and wanted to go ahead with the sftp solution.
Babysteps... but I think this is a victory

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bull3964 posted:

For a long time we had ancient unmanaged switches in our office without any sort of loop protection and someone managed to accidentally bridge their wired and wireless networks.

I got lucky. The wireless in that person's notebook had died recently and were using a dongle as a stopgap. I was able to isolate the offending MAC address with Wireshark and look up the manufacturer which narrowed the field significantly.

Just once? This was a pretty regular occurrence at my last job until we were able to buy some decent managed switches.
It was a call center with 200 people. I have no idea how anything worked before I got there.

Then there was that other time my coworker got a cheap rear end Dell switch that was so old it became the root bridge and couldn't actually handle any of the traffic that was being thrown at it.

"I just need it for my bitcoin miners, lol what's an ARP anyway?"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sefal posted:

One of the finance guys came over this morning and wanted to take an usb stick. My boss gave him one. But I asked, what for?
It's to send files for an audit to the auditor. Finance stuff, I guess.
I tell him, Why don't we set up a sftp server so that the auditor can connect via that and grab the files. No usb sticks involved.

Got basically told. "This is how we've done it for years and it works. But i'll check with finance director about your idea. Thanks for the usb stick!"

Just now, he came back and wanted to go ahead with the sftp solution.
Babysteps... but I think this is a victory

Under no circumstances would I voluntarily set up an SFTP server in an office environment. End users aren't going to be able to manage their own poo poo and the recipients are generally going to have no clue how to access it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah, I've got no access to any of that poo poo. I sit a cube over from the guy who does, and I'm letting him handle it, while being simultaneously amused and annoyed.
Not only am I just a desktop guy, I'm a contractor with no authority, so... I'm struggling to keep my mouth shut.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Under no circumstances would I voluntarily set up an SFTP server in an office environment. End users aren't going to be able to manage their own poo poo and the recipients are generally going to have no clue how to access it.

Yeah, I would only use sftp if it was being automated.

That being said, there are tons of web based secure file transfer services, and O365 is even adding more features to make that process better in outlook and OneDrive.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah I don't even intervene in that scenario. You want a USB stick to mail something? Have a blast, I'll be working on something else.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m concerned about the idea of sending financial data on a USB, presumably by mail. That sounds like a security nightmare.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'll use this experience as a lesson learned.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have a new manager because IT Director can't effectively juggle everything he has on his plate, which is alot so it's not unreasonable, first meeting set for 5 minutes ago with new manager + team (aka one other guy), manager no shows and is not responding to e-mail.

New guy, same story.

Not that I NEED this meeting or anything, I'm independent, I do 2-3x the work my lazy loving co-worker does and we don't have any complaints about our work specifically (well one client's IT Director complained but he was also a loving rear end in a top hat to multiple people, including myself, and that client is getting fired because of it)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My (three-man) department had a "roadmap" meeting about 2018 this morning, my proposed projects are completely re-doing the new-hire and departure process and finally setting up a real imaging solution using MDT/WDS. They were both well-received so I might get to finally finish the whole HR process changes (I got most of it done and kind of "beta tested" a year+ ago) and really getting to sit down and learn about the imaging stuff will be great even beyond the work it'll save us.

:feelsgood:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just found out one of our desktop guys is quitting rather than converting his contract. I guess they couldn’t come to an agreement so he wants to take some time off and cert up. I don’t blame him in the least. The guy is 40, nobody wants to still be working desktop at 40.

That means that there will be one person from December still here, who is also the only person from before I started just over a year ago. At least here, there’s someone that’s been here a few years in an office in another state. Two people got fired for being lazy or incompetent last year, one person got fired in December for losing a C-Level’s confidential data, and now this guy is leaving. I feel bad for the one person who has been here the whole time. She’s probably stuck being the one teaching every new person the ropes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What are you doing for automating new account creations from HR, identity access management automation and de-provisioning/termination?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not a god drat thing. I'm sorry, I had to replace CMOS batteries today in old manufacturing computers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ranter posted:

What are you doing for automating new account creations from HR, identity access management automation and de-provisioning/termination?

The broad answer is powershell.

More specifically really depends on how you are getting your data from HR.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We use a cost-efficient platform that leverages powershell and its own internal psedo-code workflow engine. Comes with a web interface for HR/business to submit new/change/term requests with all the info, hooks into AD, assigns the correct groups based on the logic we programmed in, executes powershell as needed, shoots off SMS and emails on morning of start date etc. It's highly configurable and took about 75 hours over 6 months to fine-tune to meet our business requirements (realizing we hadn't thought of x-scenario e.g. how it handles a previously terminated contractor coming back as an employee etc) but costs $1000 and we are pretty stoked about it. For not-powershell-gurus it was pretty great. Our HRIS is basically poo poo and they need to migrate to something that has real integration points, so for now they're typing in employees info manually, but for a company < 200 it's fine.

I just think its so great that when they want to on-board a contractor without need of company-issued laptop (most of our apps are SaaS), our team literally does nothing now, it's all automated. Feels good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a full SaaS HCM suite that provides a number of different interfaces and API's. We are using Powershell and a combination of a event-triggered csv delivery and API calls to maintain AD using the HCM tool as the source of truth.

Ranter posted:

I just think its so great that when they want to on-board a contractor without need of company-issued laptop (most of our apps are SaaS), our team literally does nothing now, it's all automated. Feels good.

It's great until it's 4:45 pm on a Friday and someone is starting on Monday and no I haven't entered them into the HR system yet, but they are a new VP and they need to have a laptop and their logins ready as soon as they come in on Monday.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 18, 2018

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

I don’t understand living somewhere for 5+ years and not learning the language

I probably would learn the language too. But if you live in a country where you can do everything in English you don’t really have to do so.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm super interested, and I'm very mobile right now (ie. I'm extremely willing to relocate). Plus I would definitely learn the language, considering I'm already on my way there. Got any recommendations on where to look for Netherlands jobs? LinkedIn popular there?

Basically every tech company is looking for infosec people. Not all of them do relocation though.

What kinda companies are you looking for? LinkedIn is a great way to look for jobs. If you like to do consultancy I could PM you a few of the more reputable once.

Otherwise the bigger tech / consulting companies and financial institutions pay pretty well. While punkbob seems to have a point about base salary being much lower for similar jobs, you should look into CoL and benefits. DevOps / SRE are indeed around 45-65k with some outliers to 75k. That’s 2-3x average income though and allows you live perfectly fine (very well actually). Also, you get a tax deduction as a foreigner which basically increases that salary by 30-40% if I understood my coworkers correctly.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, CLAM DOWN isn't devops as far as I know.

For a Sr InfoSec role that would be a shamefully low salary. When I was thinking of the move, I was offered easily double that. I'm fairly sure salaries haven't regressed that much.

Sr infosec might probably get you 80-90k, maybe up to 100k but I haven’t come across many jobs that pay more than that. Unless you’re self employed (or get that tax deduction I was talking about, but that “only” lasts for 5 or 8 years iirc). I haven’t looked too much into infosec roles so I could be off a little.

Base salary is seriously lower than in the US, but be sure to take the big picture into account

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The guy is 40, nobody wants to still be working desktop at 40.

I’m 48, lol. And, yeah. Oh well.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
nobody wants to still be working desktop at 49

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, come to think of it most of the people doing desktop at my last job were in their 40s or 50s. There were 2 people aside from me in their 20s, two in their early 30s, and then much older people. I’m not sure why they would stay there like that, it was a completely miserable environment.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Sr infosec might probably get you 80-90k, maybe up to 100k but I haven’t come across many jobs that pay more than that. Unless you’re self employed (or get that tax deduction I was talking about, but that “only” lasts for 5 or 8 years iirc). I haven’t looked too much into infosec roles so I could be off a little.
Well it would have been an internal move/promotion, but it was a little north of 100K€. I know that's not the high end for the region, but even the typical Sr salary is closer to what I was offered than to what Punkbob was claiming.

LochNessMonster posted:

Base salary is seriously lower than in the US, but be sure to take the big picture into account
Absolutely. In my opinion, and also from keeping in touch with some of my former colleagues, QOL stuff associated with not only the job, but the social support systems in NL should be factored in as well.

I seem to remember when I was looking into it (again this is over 8 years ago), that to keep a NL Visa you had to demonstrate fluency in Dutch after 12 months residency or lose your Visa. Either I read it wrong, or it's changed?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It can finally happen clam down. I'll marry you so you can get EU citizenship and I'll get canadian citizenship.

i'm the man

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sepist posted:

nobody wants to still be working desktop at 49

I’m 51, lol. And, yeah. Oh well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They're not posting in this thread, but some people really just don't care. Desktop at 51? Sure, whatever, just mentally check out, coast through life, and eventually I get to die.

If you're in this thread, you're at least considering advancing your career, but honestly, some people aren't even considering it.

Hell, a story you didn't ask for. I remember when I was in the Air Force, there was a guy with about 12 years in who was still an E-5. For reference, I put on E-5 in 4, which is just about average. My point is, he had stalled. It always confused me, why is he a dirt bag? Why does his boss have to get on him about something once a week? It really wasn't until I got a few years down the road that I realized his options were 1) coast, give no fucks, make a take home salary, or 2) care, try, impress, and get an extra $250 a month for his trouble. Dude chose the first option.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 18, 2018

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Captain Ironblood posted:

Jeoh, it's me, Commisar Gaunt from Cybernations. Get me a job in Netherlands, ty.

sorry but if anyone irl finds out i played cybernations i would kill myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They're not posting in this thread, but some people really just don't care. Desktop at 51? Sure, whatever, just mentally check out, coast through life, and eventually I get to die.

If you're in this thread, you're at least considering advancing your career, but honestly, some people aren't even considering it.

Hell, a story you didn't ask for. I remember when I was in the Air Force, there was a guy with about 12 years in who was still an E-5. For reference, I put on E-5 in 4, which is just about average. My point is, he had stalled. It always confused me, why is he a dirt bag? Why does his boss have to get on him about something once a week? It really wasn't until I got a few years down the road that I realized his options were 1) coast, give no fucks, make a take home salary, or 2) care, try, impress, and get an extra $250 a month for his trouble. Dude chose the first option.

Yeah, some people only care about their career enough that they can take home a pay check and go fishing on Saturday.

Jeoh posted:

sorry but if anyone irl finds out i played cybernations i would kill myself

I feel that way about these forums.