Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They're not going to.

The touchbar 15" is cool and good.

Or just buy a new 2015. They still sell them, and unless you’re doing insane “pro” work, the old models are still fantastic. I’m planning on buying a 2015 15inch in June or so, for that very reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Luceo posted:

:smithicide: I hope that's not true. I'm not sure how much longer my mid-2012 15" MBP will hold out as I wait for Apple to release a non-TB 15".

They might backtrack on the touchbar, but we're stuck with this crummy design for a few more years

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They're not going to.

I have two (work and home). This is accurate.

I get why some don’t like it - but it’s fantasy to believe they’ll back fully away. While I couldn’t give a poo poo about the escape key, I get why the Vim users hate it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

funmanguy posted:

All the info I can find about the fusion drives is that they use 5400rpm drives. Thats checking the computers I have handy, they don't say specifically w/r/t the new 27 inch imac

My 2013 iMac w/ Fusion Drive definitely has a 5400rpm drive in it. It's very noticeable when booted into Windows. By "noticeable" I mean it's slower than dogshit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i see a lot of non-tech people very frustrated about the stupid keyboard on the mbp. people sink a ton of money into a machine like that and the slightest dust disables one key? apple's going to face a lot of backlash if they don't announce a non-butterfly keyboard for the next version. their butterfly keyboards have been an abject failure all around.

you can argue touchbar's here to stay, and that only usb-c ports were bad decisions (and i'd agree), but that keyboard is going to have a lot of people weary of plunking $1K-$3K on a new macbook.

(but seriously apple, get rid of the stupid touchbar)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The keyboard is literally the only reason why I haven't bought one, it's a really frustrating time to buy a laptop. I don't really use the F or escape keys for anything honestly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

shovelbum posted:

The keyboard is literally the only reason why I haven't bought one, it's a really frustrating time to buy a laptop. I don't really use the F or escape keys for anything honestly.

I bought a Thinkpad in 2017 because of the keyboard. I hope Apple fixes their poo poo because I want to come back.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought a Thinkpad in 2017 because of the keyboard. I hope Apple fixes their poo poo because I want to come back.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Thinkpads to actually release, by the time they release they're announcing the new models and it's super frustrating.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

shovelbum posted:

And it’s why I’ll be spending $2079 for a 2015 this spring or summer. I have apps I need that only run on Mac, but photo shop is the most demanding thing (and podcasting) that I do, hardware wise. So I should be okay getting by with the old tech

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember when Lenovo hosed their function keys on the X1 but went right back to regular keys?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Remember when Lenovo hosed their function keys on the X1 but went right back to regular keys?

Did they?

Regardless, TouchBar is not going away. Neither is all USBC ports.

I do hope they add Force Touch to it. While the Touch Bar is useful for me, I'd like them to add it so it can be sure a touch is a deliberate action. Also, depending on how much you press down you might be able to stack actions on a single icon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yea, the second gen X1 had it

https://www.thinkscopes.com/2014/12/10/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-gen-2-review/

Notice they removed Caps Lock and combined Delete/Backspace

:wtf:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, the second gen X1 had it

https://www.thinkscopes.com/2014/12/10/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-gen-2-review/

Notice they removed Caps Lock and combined Delete/Backspace

:wtf:

The more I look at that, the more confused I get.

I get why people don't like the Touch Bar. Personally, I like it, but I get it. I just think everyone is tilting windmills when they bitch about the USB C ports and the Touch Bar. Apple is not going to reverse course.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've had my 15 inch TB for a few months now and I can see why people don't like it but I love it.

The keyboard on the other hand I still haven't gotten 100% used to it and I still like my 2013 MBP at home much better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't mind the keyboard other than the stupid arrow keys

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They're not going to.

Nah, not interested in a laptop with an incomplete (lovely) keyboard and a touchbar gimmick that no one asked for. There's certainly room if they shave off a centimeter from that xbox-sized touchpad, and that'd let them keep the touchbar!

I'm also not about to spend potentially thousands on a three-year-old laptop. I'll settle for the USB-C ports, lack of magsafe, and everything else sacrificed on the Altar of Thinness, even in the supposedly pro line, if they'd just give me the complete keyboard back as an option.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just use an external keyboard with the tMBP.

eames
May 9, 2009

next MBP revision rumoured to support USB-C to PS/2 dongle sold separately for $69.99

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

eames posted:

next MBP revision rumoured to support USB-C to PS/2 dongle sold separately for $69.99

I’d actually read they were going exclusively ps/2 ports. You’ll need to buy ps/2 to USB-C adapters.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Does that mean I can finally use my Micro Channel cards for something?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I don't mind the keyboard other than the stupid arrow keys
I'm using a Magic Keyboard as a broadcast video editor right now and it is mind-numbing because of the up and down arrow keys. The reason for this is that it's my constant back up. Everywhere I've worked with a 2013 trash can, that machine will nullify aluminum wired Apple keyboards every few weeks. You just arrive at work and can't log in. Said affected keyboards work on other machines; they just don't work on the 2013 Mac Pro in question anymore. An SMC / PRAM reset does nothing. Sometimes USB as a whole stops working. The solution to this for me used to be to plug the aluminum keyboard into a Thunderbolt display's USB, but I have two nicer DP displays now.
Seems like the Apple aluminum USB keyboard's device id gets blacklisted from the 2013 Mac Pro or something. Would love a solution if anyone is familiar with this.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How badly would I regret buying a current MBP? I need a laptop sooner rather than later and would like to get something with a sizable battery life without waiting months for Lenovo to trickle out the new X-series and weeks more for shipping from China.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

shovelbum posted:

How badly would I regret buying a current MBP? I need a laptop sooner rather than later and would like to get something with a sizable battery life without waiting months for Lenovo to trickle out the new X-series and weeks more for shipping from China.

If you need it, buy it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The current rMBPs are still incredibly good laptops, the touchbar is just of dubious usefulness and you might have to be careful about keeping the keyboard clean.

Edit: also, you might need some dongles

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ShadeofBlue posted:

Edit: also, you might need some dongles

:getin:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I hope that’s not your setup because that looks like it’s putting a ton of torque on the usb c connectors, which will likely damage one or both of the cables and ports they’re plugged in to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

I hope that’s not your setup because that looks like it’s putting a ton of torque on the usb c connectors, which will likely damage one or both of the cables and ports they’re plugged in to.

AppleCare!

Edit: but fine, I ordered an extension cable.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 20, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What a 'good' fake charger? I got a free 2011 MacBook Pro and just want something I can use to sell it, and don't want to pay full price for a real one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There isn’t one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

There isn’t one.

I had one! It looked like a real one but it was light and it had a different font.

I just don't want one of these fuckers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was light because it has lovely electronics inside it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was light because it has lovely electronics inside it

I got a free 2011 MacBook Pro and just want something I can use to sell it, and don't want to pay full price for a real one.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'd buy frayed used apple charger before buying a knock off one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Macrumors has a post about the rumor of larger MacBooks. A true air replacement.:vrfrog:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My guess is that it has a 15" screen and still only one USB port with nothing else. Also even thinner keyboards with zero travel.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I got a free 2011 MacBook Pro and just want something I can use to sell it, and don't want to pay full price for a real one.

There really is no good knock off, find a used Apple one or just try to sell it without a charger.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

My guess is that it has a 15" screen and still only one USB port with nothing else. Also even thinner keyboards with zero travel.

Prolly just a 13

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mu Zeta posted:

That would at least be sort of novel. It will be 13" with no ports, magsafe, and a Retina screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wireless charging only laptop. :getin:

Or it’s just a troll and it’s just an updated iPad.