Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

big nipples big life posted:

Maybe we will finally get to hear from the infamous Robert Space

---

gently caress it, I've just realised the FPS counter tips this into true beauty:

Pixelate posted:

quote:

EXPECTED RESULT: I did not expect a teal shaped box or my ship to "tear" into 2d images.

Also their ship is made of jpegs.

Now what's that taxxe for quoting yourself?

e: Oo new page. I think I know this taxxe band

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Toops posted:

Brutal takedown by another game dev, love it. And he/she is 100% right.

I wonder how long before that brave dev receives the coveted "You don't understand game development" cookie cutter reply.

Toops posted:

I wonder what happens when a shitizen sees stuff like this?

Many magical things, firstly there's denial, then bargaining, then despair, and finally, the one we've all been waiting for, total, absolute, crippling, tripling every second levels of, grief. :cripes: :byodood:

The rubs begin just after.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love the Sandi Gardiner twitter account of "things that happened today". it seriously reads like a bunch of bullet points of totally un-notable events delivered without any emotional embellishment or investment whatsoever. it's like a concrete carpark of writing

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

Oh okay now I see where you’re coming from.

1) SCAA - I hadn’t really thought too much about her org and whatever responsibilities she might have to that. It barely seems real to me. But that’s a valid point.

2) MOTIVE/INTELLIGENCE - Here too, I’ll admit I’ve not given much thought to the possibility that a highly calculating alternative version of Batgirl might exist. One who takes as given the project is doomed yet benefits from pretending otherwise and cranking out material reinforcing the same. Perhaps that’s possible.

It’s my belief is that we all have GPUs of varying processing power upon which we render our delusions. Even the reasonable person experiences an Augmented Reality version as they look out from behind their eyeballs at the world around them, little delusions popping up here and there and distorting their understanding of the world and people and events moving around them.

In the case of Batgirl, I assume she’s got 1080TIs running with the SLI bridge and creating a fully immersive Virtual Reality experience all around her. I think the same is true of Chris Roberts. It’s not so much a question of raw intelligence because reasonable objectivity can be found in the simple-minded just as brilliant minds can construct convincing delusions and be held prison in them. Whatever her intelligence levels, I assume she’s got a high capacity to delude herself and that she prefers that. To varying extents, we all do.

I mean, I like to believe myself a reasonable and objective person and yet here I am in a multi-volley psychological assessment of a minor personality with a parasitic attachment to a major catastrophe. It’s crazy, really, yet here I am writing about objectivity even as the little OCD arcana nerd in my head is running around yelling, “Hold on, hold on — there’s that, that, that Batgirl / Wingman interview from back then where he talks about...”

It’s nuts, really.

Anyway I now understand where we differ on this point. We nuanced lunatics.

This is going to revolutionize the way she doesn’t play games.

It comes down to a lack of credibility and doing right by the people in your care. That is what rubs me wrong way in all this. Especially since she knows what really did happen in the austin split and what has gone on. I think she does owe it to
her group and to the audience to get the true picture and state of the game. Does that mean no more ben? does that mean no more sandi? Yup but would that make the game come true and start a movement to fix the game and hold people accountable? I sure as poo poo think so. Had there been a movement from some of the largest orgs to hold CR accountable would we be here today? possible......

You would think her only goal would be to get the game made with all the ships in there as promised in the fastest time possible. That seems the furthest thing from her mind.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

things people who already spent 4 digits on this game would like

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Can't watch these with the sound on anymore, but skipping through looking at stuff in the background always makes me laugh.

"loving Don't come any closer"

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

AP posted:

Can't watch these with the sound on anymore, but skipping through looking at stuff in the background always makes me laugh.

"Scene 8, take 14. Everybody look at your screens and smile."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

alf_pogs posted:

i love the Sandi Gardiner twitter account of "things that happened today". it seriously reads like a bunch of bullet points of totally un-notable events delivered without any emotional embellishment or investment whatsoever. it's like a concrete carpark of writing

What purpose do those serve in the task of producing planning documents? For her job title, I would rather have expected something ergonomic and low-profile.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

alf_pogs posted:

This is how you know it's all fake- it has the exact same qualities as her acting.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

lol an hour of ships

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I want to figure out where :lesnick:'s office is in the building, but there's some weird poo poo we've missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGa61JmxB8&t=1440s

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

why is everyone <25

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

why is everyone <25

any port in a oversaturated programmer storm

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

because people with virtually worthless game design degrees looking to get their start in the industry are very easy to underpay and overwork.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZMgnhBTHnc&t=1908s

A better time when you could open any CIG live video and :gary:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

his nibs posted:

lol an hour of ships

The heightened focus on ships over the last month feels more about reducing refund risks than much else. The whole tone of the opening tour feels tense and uncomfortable. Where’s the joy, guys?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

The heightened focus on ships over the last month feels more about reducing refund risks than much else. The whole tone of the opening tour feels tense and uncomfortable. Where’s the joy, guys?

quote:

Since the beginning of the project, development of the Game has proceeded unabated and RSI is delivering content on a continuing basis. RSI has applied your pledges to the development cost of the Game, and in accordance with the Terms of Service to which you agreed, and you are no longer entitled to a refund. These terms are consistent with the specific nature of crowdfunding. (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos)

We've reached a huge milestone with the release of 3.0, which provides the framework and foundation for the future game experience. Your funds have been fully deployed towards this effort, as promised, and our commitment to all backers in 2018 is to provide continued updates through quarterly releases.

As Chris posted in Spectrum, we're learning from how the new 3.0 environment works on a large scale with thousands of players on at once, and seeing how players use and interact with those environments we've created. Our first Q1 update in March is all about taking what we've learned to apply new and improved performance and optimizations.

You can see some of our wonderful Star Citizen updates at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu71Dcpf3c0 and our Squadron 42 Holiday Livestream updates at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVzJiarjvc .

We will consider each request on a case by case basis and will work with you to find the best solution, and it will be a few weeks before we can give this request the detailed attention it requires.

3.0 is released guys. We checked your dollars and they were spent. Sorry friend.

He's German. Not too concerned about pushing through their nonsense.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Oh no. Even 5200 miles away, one can sense the danger she's in being a winsome young lass with a marketing title.

Run, Arianne!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZMgnhBTHnc&t=1908s

A better time when you could open any CIG live video and :gary:

i learned french in french school

draw her like one of your french skools

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

big nipples big life posted:

clearly you need to send more text messages about moobs.

I got Moob Moob

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Daztek posted:

why is everyone <25

cig carousel

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Oh Paul

I :lol:ed at his delivery. Poor bastard.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is the face of a man in shock as Derek Smart enters the courtroom ready to testify in front of the Grand Space Jury

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
being sued is the best out for chris. He can now walk away saying it cryteks fault.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone said Scam Shartizen yet?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

Lambdas don't have any direct relationship to async execution. For those who don't know, I'll explain.

A "lambda" is a functional programming concept. Instead of sending the data you have to a function that resides somewhere else in code, you send a function you have to the data that resides somewhere else in code.

Example: My class called "Circle" has a variable called "radius." If I want the area, I can send my data some other part of the code that knows how to calculate it:
code:
double calculateArea() {
    return Math.areaOfACircle(my.radius);
}
and get the area back. I'm sending my data to someone else's function.

Now let's flip it. My class knows how to calculate the area of a circle, and sends that function to the Circle class:
code:
double calculateArea(Circle circle) {
    return circle.radius( (r) -> {3.14159 * (r)^2;}  );
}
I'm sending my function {3.14159 * (r)^2;} to someone else's radius. Notice, I don't know what r is, I'm referencing a variable I don't have, which can be real handy.

There are many good reasons to do this that aren't exactly clear in this example. But the point is, the function (or lambda) you send can be synchronous or asynchronous. In game code, that means it can still block the main update() loop.

Now to the larger question, can you make things asynchronous in game code? Sure! Is it a good idea? Depends. If your code needs to do something, but the result is not extremely time-sensitive, or you don't actually care about the result, then you should consider doing it in an async call. One example is persisting your player's position to the server, so that you don't have to wake up in your wank pod and start over every time you log out or get disconnected. Let's assume my client needs to send that position vector to the server, and validate the response to make sure the server got the memo so I don't have to send it again. Well, imagine what would happen if that call wasn't done asynchronously. Assuming best-case scenario, with a latency of 50ms and 60frames/sec, my persistPlayerPosition(player.position); call would block the update loop for 3 frames waiting for a response. That's (60frames/1000ms) * 50ms. Normal case, 100ms, that's 6 frames dropped. 200ms lag spike? 12 frames dropped. Now imagine the worst-case, we don't hear back from the server. The entire game would lock up waiting. So you have to delegate slow-executing stuff to threads, otherwise modern gaming really isn't possible.

As with the previous, this is not a good real-world example because nobody in their right mind would write client-server persistence that way, but it's an example that helps illustrate the point.

As a real-world example, NVidia's PhysX engine (the physics engine used by both Unity and Unreal Engine and, notably, not CryEngine), runs entirely asynchronously from your engine's main thread. It runs on its own CPU core. It even has its own tick rate, separate from the main engine. The reason for this is physics calculations are complicated AF, there's lots of calculus under the hood, and CPU's are bad at calculus. Also, it's not really that important to calculate the physics state as often as the game engine calculates game state. 60fps is really for rendering, and providing a smooth visual experience. You can have perfectly smooth physics experience at 20fps, so there's no need for the computationally demanding physics calculations to poo poo up your graphics/rendering pipeline.

You are a wealth of game development information. I always love reading stuff like this. Thank you, friend. :)

I was thinking they somehow integrated an AWS lambda call using some kind of Node.js routine to do some random thing with a thing. I didn’t actually watch any of the video, so it’s my bad for assuming one thing instead of some other. But super cool to know how it all pulls together!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TheAgent posted:

its going to be hilarious when someone reads "blah blah count 4 motion to dismiss is GRANTED" and be all "YES YES I loving KNEW IT"

and then go "wait wait wait, but the overall motion to dismiss is denied?! HOW LAW WORK" and start ranting about how the liberal courts are destroying free trade or whatever

The more I think about it, the more the old Meads v. Meads description seems to fit:

“This category of litigant shares one other critical characteristic: they will only honour state, regulatory, contract, family, fiduciary, equitable, and criminal obligations if they feel like it. And typically, they don't.”

Why can't it be February already? :negative:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Henry Scorpio posted:

From what I could tell, the guy was setting up lambdas to do stateful game engine business on threads other than the main thread.

Game entity instantiation is usually a really complex process getting the following ready to go: Entity objects, script VM constructs/reflection data, meshes, materials, shaders, textures, particle systems, physics geometry and inertia tensors/body data, animations, animation blend trees, animation state graphs, sound banks, incorporation into engine spatial data structures, registration with graphics render passes, user interfaces, registration with the tick/update lists. That’s just the basics stuff before you start adding spergchariot specific systems (fuel tank, wire harness, flight computer? Subsumption? Lol)

Doing even some of these steps on worker threads requires careful thought and a lot of custom engine design. Successful async game engines have job systems that accept work requests in a way that encourage thread safe practices and try to reduce context switching / other resource contention.

What it looked like CIG was doing was calling arbitrary methods on global access objects inside of anonymous functions running on random threads. The tried and true “Heap corruption” design pattern.

So instead of doing some kind of logical launch and catch thread system for some extraneous thread, they are setting up random threads that launch and basically “we hope” it returns something later in the future “we hope” we will properly catch and integrate?

It probably works great in the dev test environment where he is alone, but does a horrible death when you dare to try it with at least 5 people?

Thank you for your evaluation! :hfive:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Because I have credible sources, I can safely say that it's as absolutely loving hilarious as it is disastrous for RSI/CIG. And it's coming tomorrow.

I think backers are going to be walking off cliffs when they read the brutal take down of Ortwin over his conflict of interest. Or how they completely shred CIG for their attempt at re-defining the intent of the word "exclusive" as used in 2.1.2. They called it "absurd", and I hear that at least one sentence had the word "nonsense" (a Derek Smart trademark) in it. :D

Tomorrow can't come soon enough, and I have Pacer in an auto-refresh tab already. :grin:

Someone should tell MoMa.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/954138804297879554

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:jebstare:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Ahahah. No.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

I got Moob Moob

it's like a gym for your auto correct

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont see how anything skadden posts as a motion in an update can be apocalyptic save for some poo poo they shouldn't have access without discovery being granted. Like if they have a tax statement from CIG/F42 that has them counting SQ42 as a individual game for tax purposes, signed by the loving queen.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

calling a disbar has to be the most specific call ever, neat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm calling that I'm going to dis bar, right here, right now.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Going to channel my inner MoMa for a moment, and say that he's grasping at straws, and that poo poo isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont see how anything skadden posts as a motion in an update can be apocalyptic save for some poo poo they shouldn't have access without discovery being granted. Like if they have a tax statement from CIG/F42 that has them counting SQ42 as a individual game for tax purposes, signed by the loving queen.

Yeah uhm no, that's not how that works. All these interrogatories are what determine the fate of the MtD, whether or not the case has merits, goes to trial etc. As long as Skadden keeps FKKS on the ropes, we're going to trial. That's the whole drat point. :D

Just remember who called it. :grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!