Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a stock clutch can take that abuse without issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Unless it's a VW.

My JB4 R's has been slipping for a while now, trying to decide which clutch I'm going to replace it with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My understanding of clutch wear is that basically they can take a lot of abuse until they can't, it's a thermal thing. As long as the clutch doesn't reach a critical temperature you pretty much can't gently caress it up, but once you've exceeded that your wear goes through the roof and you'll wreck it in a hurry. If you're training someone who doesn't understand clutches just take breaks and let it cool down.

I've taught five people to drive stick in my cars and have never had any issues come of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just found out I'm not getting reimbursed for the rental I had while my GTI was getting re-worked. Other guys insurance obviously won't pay for it, mine told me they can't go after the shop so I'm poo poo out of luck. I doubt it's worth the hassle of even dicking with a lawyer over a grand. :rip:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What state are you in?

I found out, the hard way, that in Ohio you have 3 days of a rental car once they make you a quote (any quote). Prior to the giving of a quote, they absolutely owe you a rental or ‘loss of use’.

In my case they didn’t offer me a rental until 3 days after the wreck. But the situation they ended up in is that we made a deal on them buying my totaled car, but they didn’t want to pay loss of use. I let them know that I wasn’t in that much of a hurry, and my car could set at the body shop while the storage fees racked up. The rep said he would have the loss of use sent out UPS the same day :chord:

Insurance is designed to gently caress you, both as the payee and the client. Anyone that has only one car that is there sole means of transportation, and is hit by someone else is at the mercy of the insurance company.

I wouldn’t quit fighting them on those rental fees yet, and if they won’t budge maybe try for at least loss of use. It probably won’t cover the cost of the rental, but it should be around $50/day, and it starts the day of the wreck

e; Also, if you are close with your insurance agent, you might let them know what’s going on. My agent called on my behalf and they gave them more information than they gave me, at the time.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 18, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The wreck was in Colorado, car was insured in Missouri. The other guy was at fault, his insurance will be paying for the rentals I had while the car was originally in the shop.

The problem is that the initial shop did such a lovely job that the car spent another 4 or 5 weeks in another shop several months later. The rental I had during that time is what I'm going to end up eating. I never expected the other insurance company to cover that, I was hoping mine would go after the original shop but they've told me that's not happening.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

fknlo posted:

The problem is that the initial shop did such a lovely job that the car spent another 4 or 5 weeks in another shop several months later. The rental I had during that time is what I'm going to end up eating. I never expected the other insurance company to cover that, I was hoping mine would go after the original shop but they've told me that's not happening.

That’s hosed. If the job’s not done to the proper standard, the job’s not done.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

The wreck was in Colorado, car was insured in Missouri. The other guy was at fault, his insurance will be paying for the rentals I had while the car was originally in the shop.

You should contact the department of insurance in both states.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should contact the department of insurance in both states.

or your state's attorney general

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
My wife's 2016 Mazda 6 got rearended at a stoplight on the way from the grocery store last month. Guy behind us was dicking around on his phone and when the light turned green, an 8th gen Civic Si in the right lane did a burnout and the squealing tires startled Mr. Phone so he floored it and drove his 2000 Lexus SUV into the back of us.

His insurance company (Geico) accepted full responsibility and promised it would be a hassle-free experience. Last Friday I got a call at work from the body shop and he said Geico was trying to get out of paying for OEM taillights and force us to accept aftermarkets or pay the difference which was about $340.00. Um - no. Car had OEMs on it when their dumbass customer hit it, we're not gonna do that.

If we opted to see if our Allstate plan would pay the difference and try to subrogate, we'd still be out $100 that we might not get back. Didn't like that option much either.

It took my wife 13 phone calls and talking to 4 different people at Geico, but she finally got them to accept it and pay to restore the car. The initial estimate was just under $4000 and approximately 6 days to fix. Came out to $7500 and they had the car for 2 weeks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Did the BSM system get damaged? If so I’d bet a lot of that difference is in replacing that - not only are the parts expensive as hell but there is a bunch of calibration required.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you possibly have the option, try usaa. i have never had a bad experience insurancewise, and i have been rear ended 3 times in this stupid state.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WescottF1 posted:

My wife's 2016 Mazda 6 got rearended at a stoplight on the way from the grocery store last month. Guy behind us was dicking around on his phone and when the light turned green, an 8th gen Civic Si in the right lane did a burnout and the squealing tires startled Mr. Phone so he floored it and drove his 2000 Lexus SUV into the back of us.

His insurance company (Geico) accepted full responsibility and promised it would be a hassle-free experience. Last Friday I got a call at work from the body shop and he said Geico was trying to get out of paying for OEM taillights and force us to accept aftermarkets or pay the difference which was about $340.00. Um - no. Car had OEMs on it when their dumbass customer hit it, we're not gonna do that.

If we opted to see if our Allstate plan would pay the difference and try to subrogate, we'd still be out $100 that we might not get back. Didn't like that option much either.

It took my wife 13 phone calls and talking to 4 different people at Geico, but she finally got them to accept it and pay to restore the car. The initial estimate was just under $4000 and approximately 6 days to fix. Came out to $7500 and they had the car for 2 weeks.

FYI those aftermarket tail lights are more than likely just fine. If they didn’t fit or function right they’d go OEM or used OEM. People get in a huff about aftermarket all the time but a ton of the vehicle components are out sourced anyway.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

dissss posted:

Did the BSM system get damaged? If so I’d bet a lot of that difference is in replacing that - not only are the parts expensive as hell but there is a bunch of calibration required.

Yes - they had to take it to the dealership and have it recalibrated.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Curbed the poo poo out of my passenger rear wheel today. WTF I went from a Grand Cherokee to this, why do the curbs hate me

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

if you possibly have the option, try usaa. i have never had a bad experience insurancewise, and i have been rear ended 3 times in this stupid state.

I had a slightly annoying experience once with USAA that kind of supported that all insurance companies suck at least a little. I had to schedule an inspection with one of their approved estimators, there are (were (?), this was like 2008) only a few in Houston, I picked the closest one in the Rice Village, and it was down to me picking either on the following Thursday or at least two weeks later. The agent had said "We'd ask that you not drop it off over the weekend." but I had limited options so I scheduled the Thursday and USAA silently denied my rental though I explicitly had rental coverage. I was sitting there waiting for a shuttle for an hour before calling, finding out what was going on and tearing into them a little. I skipped the car as I only wanted it in case of emergency with my octogenarian grandparents, complained to the phone rep, and went on about my week, but if they'd said "we won't cover a rental if you leave your car in the shop over the weekend." then none of that poo poo would have happened and I wouldn't have a lovely USAA story.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

Curbed the poo poo out of my passenger rear wheel today. WTF I went from a Grand Cherokee to this, why do the curbs hate me

this is a sign from God or at least one of the lesser deities to plasti-dip your rims in a really obnoxious color

I suggest lime green

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

FYI those aftermarket tail lights are more than likely just fine. If they didn’t fit or function right they’d go OEM or used OEM. People get in a huff about aftermarket all the time but a ton of the vehicle components are out sourced anyway.

Yeah, but the accident wasn’t her fault, and if her OEM’s were damaged, she’s entitled to OEM. I agree with you though

Keep on them Westcott, and make sure when it’s fixed, it’s fixed correctly.

Don’t bring you insurance company into it unless they are just working as an advocate for you. Geico should fully cover any expenses and she shouldn’t risk her insurance going up for a claim that isn’t her fault

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 19, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

Not an option for me. My dad was in the Army but I think he'd have to be a USAA member or something like that for me to be able to go through them. I'm actually insurance shopping at the moment since I recently moved to Colorado and my insurance with AAA doesn't just transfer over since they're different "clubs". Right now it looks like I'll be going with State Farm since they have the best coverage at $30-40 less than anyone else I've gotten a quote from. Their renters insurance coverage is insane too since I have good credit. $50k property/$1 million liability was the exact same price as $25k/$300k for some reason.

I'm gonna ask around a bit more, but I'm going to try to talk to some lawyers next week about going after the shop or whoever to get reimbursed for that rental. Even if I only get a couple hundred bucks back it will be worth it.

e:

Dr.Caligari posted:

Don’t bring you insurance company into it unless they are just working as an advocate for you. Geico should fully cover any expenses and she shouldn’t risk her insurance going up for a claim that isn’t her fault

I went through my insurance company with my wreck. They'll deal with the other insurance and go after them for the money they're owed. Shouldn't have any effect on their policy whatsoever while taking a load of responsibility off their shoulders as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Oddhair posted:

I had a slightly annoying experience once with USAA that kind of supported that all insurance companies suck at least a little. I had to schedule an inspection with one of their approved estimators, there are (were (?), this was like 2008) only a few in Houston, I picked the closest one in the Rice Village, and it was down to me picking either on the following Thursday or at least two weeks later. The agent had said "We'd ask that you not drop it off over the weekend." but I had limited options so I scheduled the Thursday and USAA silently denied my rental though I explicitly had rental coverage. I was sitting there waiting for a shuttle for an hour before calling, finding out what was going on and tearing into them a little. I skipped the car as I only wanted it in case of emergency with my octogenarian grandparents, complained to the phone rep, and went on about my week, but if they'd said "we won't cover a rental if you leave your car in the shop over the weekend." then none of that poo poo would have happened and I wouldn't have a lovely USAA story.

ugh sorry friend. i hereby rescind my recommendation

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

this is a sign from God or at least one of the lesser deities to plasti-dip your rims in a really obnoxious color

I suggest lime green

What about rattle can, with the tires left on and whatever overspray happens, happens?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

What about rattle can, with the tires left on and whatever overspray happens, happens?

the only way.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

sneakyfrog posted:

I dunno, I had a completely hassle free experience with them when a suburban drove over my GTI at a stop sign. It helped the lady completely admitted fault to cops, her insurance, everyone. But still, it was very painless dealing with them and they didn't dick me around so that's cool in my book.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Picked up my 2007 350z hr today to daily until my veloster gets fixed. Feels slower? I can't wait to get the clutch, lightweight flywheel (non two piece with springs), lsd, and bov actuator upgraded. Turbos are addictive. I did see a individual throttle body kit with megasquirt saying 420whp on the 350z which would be tempting...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The unlocking of VQ power lies heavily in the headers and cams.
Sasha is the build you want to look into, there is a thread over at the Ziptied forums.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 19, 2018

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Got a link? I saw mention of headers with the same name but not a build? Maybe ITB, cams, and headers could be a 500whp N/A build easy?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

The unlocking of VQ power lies heavily in the headers and cams.
Sasha is the build you want to look into, there is a thread over at the Ziptied forums.

Sasha’s car is sick. Did you see the most recent vid where he blew it up? Threw a rod that ended up slicing the starter in half...

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Christobevii3 posted:

Got a link? I saw mention of headers with the same name but not a build? Maybe ITB, cams, and headers could be a 500whp N/A build easy?

Lol on what motor

fake edit: it will be easy but $$$

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeahhhh.... you're going to want to see this car before you call 500whp anything near easy or cheap.
This is a long thread and most of the images are missing by now: https://www.ziptied.com/forum/index.php?threads/kels-just-wants-to-rip-onboard-at-mosport-video.15975/

Here are a couple of videos, Speed Academy has more if you look through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u4hrFG4N70 (go to 5:40 in this video for a dyno run)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNiwlrZ9HY

PaintVagrant posted:

Sasha’s car is sick. Did you see the most recent vid where he blew it up? Threw a rod that ended up slicing the starter in half...
Unfortunately :( Pretty incredible that it still ran, haha.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

I don't know that it's that serious, though, just that even a company with great customer service occasionally drops the ball. Compared to the other horror stories I hear about small insurers never wanting to pay until sued this is a drop in the bucket.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Oddhair posted:

I don't know that it's that serious, though, just that even a company with great customer service occasionally drops the ball. Compared to the other horror stories I hear about small insurers never wanting to pay until sued this is a drop in the bucket.

Eh i just dont want to make a poor recommendation, the service i have had so far is stellar.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in "other bad doodads i have bought for the fiesta" news i just picked up a pair of the euro spec LHD headlights. because i loving hate the current headlights with a passion.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

fknlo posted:

Not an option for me. My dad was in the Army but I think he'd have to be a USAA member or something like that for me to be able to go through them. I'm actually insurance shopping at the moment since I recently moved to Colorado and my insurance with AAA doesn't just transfer over since they're different "clubs".

Have you tried calling usaa? Pretty sure you could have a grandparent in the armed forces at one point and still be eligible. Worth a quick phone call if you're already shopping around. They've been the only insurance company I've dealt with that I didn't dread having to call.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

sneakyfrog posted:

in "other bad doodads i have bought for the fiesta" news i just picked up a pair of the euro spec LHD headlights. because i loving hate the current headlights with a passion.

How much did those run you/where did you get them? The stock headlights are a huge upgrade from my XJ, but still pretty lacking.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Looks like my clutch was only glazed. Able to hold power after a few easy work commutes through the week. Still will probably get the clutch, flywheel, lsd, and wastegate actuator all upgraded next week once I get the z title.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Have you tried calling usaa? Pretty sure you could have a grandparent in the armed forces at one point and still be eligible.

Yep, my dad and father in-law were both in the army (but neither my wife nor I were ever in the military) and we're considering switching.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fknlo posted:

In news that I know affects a couple of people in this thread, it looks like Ford finally admitted that the Focus RS has some issues with the head gasket. I know that the issue was known, I don't think I'd seen that Ford had admitted it though.

People have seen this fairly convincing Mustang gasket analysis, right?:
https://jalopnik.com/did-ford-install-the-wrong-head-gaskets-on-the-focus-rs-1821665968

Curious if Ford will acknowledge this failure mode.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Quite A Tool posted:

How much did those run you/where did you get them? The stock headlights are a huge upgrade from my XJ, but still pretty lacking.

i bought em from a forums dude in germany on the other car forums i follow, for about 500. you can get them from woosh motorsports for about 800 new in the box (you do have to re-pin your connectors though)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Yep, my dad and father in-law were both in the army (but neither my wife nor I were ever in the military) and we're considering switching.

I actually just looked into joining USAA recently since my father was in the military as well, but currently, have no idea where he is. But as of right now if you have parents that served, you can join but you only have limited services that they offer. However, if your parents served and have had an account with them, then you get full benefits / services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sitting here looking at a Civic type R and hoooooly poo poo, that's an ugly car.