Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BBQ Dave posted:

Tips for hyper light drifter?
From the wiki:
-Easiest to hardest from the hub is probably East, North, West, South, but do whatever.
-Warping makes enemies respawn.
-There's a certain mark on the floor, a small square with an "L" shape in it, that tells you a secret is nearby. Keep an eye out for it.
-Get a grenade, the bullet-deflection sword move, and the chain dash. Just about everything else is personal preference, but those are your bread-and-butter, and will save your life many times over. The other sword techniques are good too.
-All of the costumes have slightly different effects, and you'll figure most of them out as you go, but it's probably not so much that you can't afford to just wear what looks the best to you.
-Sometimes, you'll have to come back later. It happens.
-Immediately after you beat the game, without quitting out, go back to your file and press right for a little epilogue scene. If you miss it, you'll have to beat the final boss again.
-Then, watch the opening again once you've seen the ending and marvel at all the crap you missed the first time.
-There are more than four triangle pieces in each section - the game only shows you four on the map because that's what is required to reach the boss.
-You can double you damage by getting in the habit of hitting the "Fire Gun" button, immediately followed by the "Slash Sword" button. There's no delay between the two, so you can hit twice in one go. The slashes will adequately recharge the starting gun, so you also never have to stop using this technique because of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
Anything for someone who played a LOT of Civilization 5, but is totally new to Civilization 6?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mystery at hog island posted:

Anything for someone who played a LOT of Civilization 5, but is totally new to Civilization 6?

gently caress man, its hard to explain. I did the same and I bounced off hard om civ6. Best I can warn you on is that the play is... Slower in development. Districts matter in a way thats hard to articulate. Golden rule is to try to put a city next to a river in the early game, one tile off a river or a mountain after your 3rd expansion to facilitate aquaducts.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the best tip i can give you about civ 6 is, don't even care about what the AI thinks of you. the game has a "mayhem counter" and if you don't keep it high enough, your allies will backstab you because the game is literally programmed to be a lovely psychopath. just kill, kill, kill.

also, build tons of cities. civ 6 doesn't have the malus from "having more than one city" that civ 5 has. in fact, if you don't poo poo cities all over the map, the AI will stick one in unusable land in the middle of your empire. murder, expand, no peace, no mercy. that's about all there is to it.

it's a crap game. zero effort went into it. my honest advice outside of the game itself is, go back to civ 5.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, Civ 6 sounds super lovely. That sounds like one of those games where you have to wait a few years for expansions to fix it. A fine tradition!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's what you would think, but the game has been out for a year and firaxis barely bothers to fix bugs. in fact, somehow, they introduced new ones with the fixes they have released, and then released a patch to fix a spawn bug they created months earlier, and it didn't fix the spawn bug at all :saddowns:

i'm not really sure what's going on at this point but i have zero consumer confidence in the company right now. i'm adopting a hard wait-and-see stance if it even gets a second expansion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You could be a grumpy grandma like me and refuse to play anything newer than GalCiv2.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

The White Dragon posted:

i'm adopting a hard wait-and-see stance if it even gets a second expansion.

Ooooof. This is already what I'm doing with Stellaris. I think I might just play around with Civ6 a bit since I have it (Humble Monthly) and see where that takes me. Thanks everyone!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

PMush Perfect posted:

You could be a grumpy grandma like me and refuse to play anything newer than GalCiv2.

Space Empires 4 :colbert:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

chairface posted:

Space Empires 4 :colbert:

Masters of Orion 1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Asteroids. :smugbert:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

What do I need to know before playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 folks?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ceramics posted:

Do not waste Overdrives to shuffle Common Blades about, they are obscenely rare. Keep them for that rare absolutely-necessary-I-need-them-on-this-Driver swap because you rolled a Rare Blade on a person you'd rather not have gotten it.

Just use Core Crystals as you get them, you will get shitloads for everyone throughout the game :rolldice:. Don't expect Rare or Legendary ones to be any more generous than the Commons with rolling those Rare Blades though.

Try to keep at least two Healer-type Blades on Nia. She tends to forget to do sensible things like swap back to Dromarch when everyone's getting their poo poo kicked in otherwise. Similarly, it can be worth keeping all three Poppi forms as straight meatshield tanks for the same reason.

Don't worry too much about having to play Tiger Tiger!! to improve Poppi either. She's a brutal thing even without upgrades.

If you need Ether Crystals to upgrade Poppi, you can disassemble her excess parts and plug-ins into crystals.

Combat, once you get all the pieces to it explained, is all about setup and execution rather than plinking away health.; Each completed third-level Elemental Combo creates a little orb that floats around the enemy, sealing a specific debuff ability and increasing their resistance to that element (ie; after you've got a Fire Orb on them, swap off Pyra). Once you have at least 3-4 Orbs on an enemy, then use a Chain Attack (+). So long as you Break an orb each time you cycle through your party, you'll just keep racking up damage bonuses until either the target dies or you fill the Overdrive bar and trigger an Overdrive Combo. Which will generally gently caress them up something righteous.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ceramics posted:

Don't.

For real though, there are a lot of minor problems with the game that people have been driven into near-insanity over and it's probably going to be fixed as Nintendo releases the DLC. The Tiger Tiger minigame was even re-balanced shortly after release, along with minimap problems and skip travel issues. It's really just not worth it anymore to play new games unless you have 100+ hours a month of free time to sink into them. Oh, and there are apparently tons of speculation about the drop rates of rare Blades (a gatcha feature) that have people talking about burning through insane numbers of materials and never getting the rare ones they need, and other people getting everything in a short time, possibly due to changing probabilities per chapter that are not obvious.

Play the other Nintendo Xeno games first, since they are essentially never going to be changed aside from a Switch release and update and the are easter eggs and hints the connect the games or so they say.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pentyne posted:

Don't.

For real though, there are a lot of minor problems with the game that people have been driven into near-insanity over and it's probably going to be fixed as Nintendo releases the DLC. The Tiger Tiger minigame was even re-balanced shortly after release, along with minimap problems and skip travel issues. It's really just not worth it anymore to play new games unless you have 100+ hours a month of free time to sink into them. Oh, and there are apparently tons of speculation about the drop rates of rare Blades (a gatcha feature) that have people talking about burning through insane numbers of materials and never getting the rare ones they need, and other people getting everything in a short time, possibly due to changing probabilities per chapter that are not obvious.

It's really nowhere near as bad as some people have made it out to be. The drop rate on Rare Blades is pretty atrocious, but by the end you're still likely going to get roughly 80-90% of the Rare Blades through random chance. It's just trying to get them all that is an exercise in madness.

Also the changing probabilities per chapter thing has been repeatedly debunked and ridiculed. It's pretty much on the tier of "try the slot machine over by the door instead of near the hallway here. It pays out better, promise!!"

pentyne posted:

Play the other Nintendo Xeno games first, since they are essentially never going to be changed aside from a Switch release and update and the are easter eggs and hints the connect the games or so they say.

There is a single reference to the original Xenoblade towards the end, and nothing related to XCX. XC1's still well worth a play though.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Oh I've already played the other Xeno games and I have no problem with time sinky bullshit tbh.

And I'm not afraid of the gacha system since I've played plenty of real gacha games, and at least this one doesn't chew through my bank account :v:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Ceramics posted:

What Neddy Seagoon said, plus:

Don't use many core crystals on Rex. There are multiple story reasons for this that you'll find out later, but early on just pop a few to fill out his empty slots and that should be good enough.

Having Blades of the correct role equipped is more important than rarity. In other words, if you want Nia to heal, rare healer blades are good, but even a common healer blade is better than a rare tank blade. Commons are fine to use if you don't have a rare of the appropriate role yet.

Don't be afraid to die. There is basically no death penalty in this game(you start at the last fast travel point and keep all the items and xp you gained), so feel free to take risks, exploring is half the fun of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Selane posted:

What Neddy Seagoon said, plus:

Don't use many core crystals on Rex. There are multiple story reasons for this that you'll find out later, but early on just pop a few to fill out his empty slots and that should be good enough.

Having Blades of the correct role equipped is more important than rarity. In other words, if you want Nia to heal, rare healer blades are good, but even a common healer blade is better than a rare tank blade. Commons are fine to use if you don't have a rare of the appropriate role yet.

Don't be afraid to die. There is basically no death penalty in this game(you start at the last fast travel point and keep all the items and xp you gained), so feel free to take risks, exploring is half the fun of the game.

Also, keep a Healer in your rotation on Rex. Sometimes you need to un-gently caress a situation yourself. One of the few times i'd recommend Overdriving a Blade is to get one of the healer-type Rares onto Rex like Dahlia or Boreas. There are very good reasons not to roll many Blades on Rex (especially since Pyra and Mythra are pretty loving powerful), but you still want to roll a few Crystals on him for Field Skills and general elemental/weapon variety for most of the game.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
What about Wind Waker HD?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BIFF! posted:

What about Wind Waker HD?

The only thing thats critically different from Vanilla Wind Waker is that as soon as the auction house is open to you there is an upgraded sail for auction. You want this ASAP as it massively reduces one of the biggest pointless frustrations of playing Wind Waker.

Also, dont covet that wind.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Barudak posted:

The only thing thats critically different from Vanilla Wind Waker is that as soon as the auction house is open to you there is an upgraded sail for auction. You want this ASAP as it massively reduces one of the biggest pointless frustrations of playing Wind Waker.

Also, dont covet that wind.

The Swift Sail is avalible from the AH once you get the first pearl. I think you need about 200 rupees to get it, but I agree it mostly takes care of the one issue I personally have with the game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The correct reply was Elite/Oolite

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

BrightWing posted:

The Swift Sail is avalible from the AH once you get the first pearl. I think you need about 200 rupees to get it, but I agree it mostly takes care of the one issue I personally have with the game.

I would say 200 rupees minimum. You should have more as a buffer in case it goes high or you have to go through other items before it comes up.

And wile I am at it a reminder: If you add 10% to the bid when you do it you will stun everyone in the room for a time. It's best to do this when the auctioneer mentions that there is only five seconds left.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The other big change is that you no longer have to pay to translate the triforce charts, so don't worry about having to bankroll Tingle's summer home.

OptimusShr posted:

And wile I am at it a reminder: If you add 10% to the bid when you do it you will stun everyone in the room for a time. It's best to do this when the auctioneer mentions that there is only five seconds left.

"Ten rupees!"

"Eleven rupees :smuggo:"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Ten rupees!"

"Eleven rupees :smuggo:"

:aaaaa:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

How similar is Prototype 2 to the first one? I really like that the first one is pretty much a reskinned Hulk Ultimate Destruction so If the second is more of the same I think I'm gonna get it sometime but I don't really want to spend the money if it's a crap sequel. (I have yet to get through the first one so I just mean gameplaywise)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

How similar is Prototype 2 to the first one? I really like that the first one is pretty much a reskinned Hulk Ultimate Destruction so If the second is more of the same I think I'm gonna get it sometime but I don't really want to spend the money if it's a crap sequel. (I have yet to get through the first one so I just mean gameplaywise)
The second one is much less difficult than the first and has a decently developed stealth takedown mechanic. The tone and method the story is told is considerably lighter and different as well.

It's fun but like sale fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kenny Logins posted:

The second one is much less difficult than the first and has a decently developed stealth takedown mechanic. The tone and method the story is told is considerably lighter and different as well.

It's fun but like sale fun.

It does sort of retroactively ruin the first game's protagonist for no real reason which kind of annoyed me, but you don't play Prototype for its plot so :shrug:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Prototype 2 was not as good in my opinion. A lot of the best moves were dropped (although the new powerset added in 2 was my favorite) and a lot of the small things that made the first one so fun for me got dropped. Hard to explain, but it seems like they went farther and farther away from what made THUD so much fun (see:elbow dropping tank after running up the top of a skyscraper).

E. On that note, were the PS4 remasters any good, or were they just lazy ports?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still want a HUD PC port. Let me revel in the nostalgia of surfing on a bus and then throwing it like a boomerang at an attack chopper!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I still want a HUD PC port. Let me revel in the nostalgia of surfing on a bus and then throwing it like a boomerang at an attack chopper!

Every game could include that in the future and I'd be perfectly ok with that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

juliuspringle posted:

Every game could include that in the future and I'd be perfectly ok with that.

It would lead to my first ever purchase of a FIFA game if they implement throwing buses at helicopters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Even when you miss, the chopper dives and you still get a red card.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Even when you miss, the chopper dives and you still get a red card.

Throw the red card at the chopper

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm seriously thinking about buying Junk Jack X. The fact that it's somewhere between Terraria (which I really like, but grinding for bosses can be a pain sometimes) and Minecraft (which I haven't played but has some interesting aspects) is a plus for me.

If I decide to get this game, what do I need to know going into it? Is it any good? How similar is it to Terraria (it looks almost like a clone of it to me)? Is it better than Starbound?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 18, 2018

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
I'm about 3 hours into Persona 5, and have maybe had control for 1/3 of that? What do I need to know for early game

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

no_funeral posted:

I'm about 3 hours into Persona 5, and have maybe had control for 1/3 of that? What do I need to know for early game

The game is set in chunks around palaces. The intro is slow yes, you'll have to power through. The meat of the game is the times when you're working on a palace, afterwards once the current timer runs down the game takes the wheel, you get a bunch on cutscenes, and you won't get time to spend on s. links until the next palace is avalible.

Remember the SMT mantra: always be fusing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrightWing posted:

The intro is slow yes, you'll have to power through.

I have never understood this poo poo. If the start of your game is slow, boring, or both, I'm going to stop playing it. Backloading content and fun is the dumbest thing. Oh just keep plowing through until you get about 40 hours in, THEN it reaaaaalllly opens up!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Normally I agree with you but I feel like Persona is an exception. The biggest issue with the slow intro is that you drat well better complete the game because its going to kill any enthusiasm if you attempt to come back at a later time and decide to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I have never understood this poo poo. If the start of your game is slow, boring, or both, I'm going to stop playing it. Backloading content and fun is the dumbest thing. Oh just keep plowing through until you get about 40 hours in, THEN it reaaaaalllly opens up!

Does anyone open a jrpg not expecting at least a moderate amount of tedium and anime portraits talking to each other for hours?