Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Henchman of Santa posted:

The dad who didn't believe his daughter until he loving choked her, then eventually killed himself, is a story all it's own.

:popeye:

Got a link on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

Got a link on that?

Yeah, uh wow

https://ca.reuters.com/article/canadaSportsNews/idCAKBN1F52MS-OCASP

quote:

Kyle Stephens, pausing to compose herself during Nassar’s sentencing hearing in a courtroom in Lansing, Michigan, said the doctor, a family friend, began molesting her when she was 6 years old and her parents did not believe her when she told them.

“You convinced my parents that I was a liar,” Stephens said.

“Little girls don’t stay little forever,” she added. “They grow into strong women that return to destroy your world.”

Once her father realized she was telling the truth, he took his own life, Stephens said.

Stephens was the first of nearly 100 women who are expected to provide victim-impact statements during the four-day hearing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Got a link on that?

It's in the ESPN story near the bottom

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I think one of the reasons these things get covered up for years and years is because they usually start with an institutional failure to do something at the first report. It gets ignored, or brushed off, or denied, or people are told the matter is being handled, and the powers that be hope that's the end of it. But if the abuse continues, the institution and the people now have a strong incentive to actively cover up the abuse, because if they publicly deal with it, one of the first questions they have to answer is "so why didn't you do anything the first time this happened" - and that's bad for fundraising and career progress and institutional image. So the institution (Catholic Church, BBC, PSU, USA Gymnastics, etc) is now fully complicit in the cover up, and the incentives for covering it up get stronger every year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Compares to how much coverage the Aziz Ansari story got, Nassar is flying completely under the radar which is unfortunate

Now that the case has hit the sentencing phase for the abuse charges I think people are going to pay more attention to the story. They talked about it on NPR this morning when I was driving in to work, and Ringer agrees that the story deserves more coverage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FMguru posted:

I think one of the reasons these things get covered up for years and years is because they usually start with an institutional failure to do something at the first report. It gets ignored, or brushed off, or denied, or people are told the matter is being handled, and the powers that be hope that's the end of it. But if the abuse continues, the institution and the people now have a strong incentive to actively cover up the abuse, because if they publicly deal with it, one of the first questions they have to answer is "so why didn't you do anything the first time this happened" - and that's bad for fundraising and career progress and institutional image. So the institution (Catholic Church, BBC, PSU, USA Gymnastics, etc) is now fully complicit in the cover up, and the incentives for covering it up get stronger every year.

It's sickening and MSU, USA Gymnastics, probably the Karolyis, a bunch of other coaches were all in on it and every one of them should be convicted and their programs shut down. I'm friends with a lot of gymnasts that had horribly hosed up coaches and that kind of behavior just enabled guys like Nassar (one girl's gym had coaches tape thumbtacks to their heels to force them to walk on their toes at all time, for example)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Even if it hurts the new kids coming up through the ranks, at this point I think the whole USA Gymnastics team needs to be banned from the next 2-3 Olympics, and let qualifiers compete as individuals not under the US flag. Same for non-Olympic competitions. Just drop a hydrogen bomb on it.

On the one hand: no there was no explicit cheating going on like with Russia. On the other hand: there's no way most of the higher-ups in US Gymnastics didn't know that something untoward was going on, given how many of their gymnasts have suffered mentally and emotionally thanks to the time spent with the national team setup. There has to be some kind of draconian consequences for that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don’t see how that does anything except maybe punishing the victims of Larry Nasser.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

Even if it hurts the new kids coming up through the ranks, at this point I think the whole USA Gymnastics team needs to be banned from the next 2-3 Olympics, and let qualifiers compete as individuals not under the US flag. Same for non-Olympic competitions. Just drop a hydrogen bomb on it.

On the one hand: no there was no explicit cheating going on like with Russia. On the other hand: there's no way most of the higher-ups in US Gymnastics didn't know that something untoward was going on, given how many of their gymnasts have suffered mentally and emotionally thanks to the time spent with the national team setup. There has to be some kind of draconian consequences for that.

I mean, doesn't it make way more sense to just ban all those involved currently instead of punish the victims who did indeed speak out? If you do what you say you'd basically eliminate any and all chance of anyone every blowing the whistle on something like this ever again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Oh my loving god it's the Paterno discussion all over again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Henchman of Santa posted:

How did the Sandusky thing break again?

There was a closed investigation for like two or three years, and in March of 2011 a Pennsylvania newspaper reported that he was under investigation but it didn't make major headlines at that time. Then out of nowhere in November, Pennsylvania's attorney general filed like 40 charges against Sandusky and a bunch more on Curley and Schultz as well, and released the grand jury's findings, prompting everyone in the world to :stare: :stonk: :barf:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

There was a closed investigation for like two or three years, and in March of 2011 a Pennsylvania newspaper reported that he was under investigation but it didn't make major headlines at that time. Then out of nowhere in November, Pennsylvania's attorney general filed like 40 charges against Sandusky and a bunch more on Curley and Schultz as well, and released the grand jury's findings, prompting everyone in the world to :stare: :stonk: :barf:

Something something rhythmic slapping sounds

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

I mean, doesn't it make way more sense to just ban all those involved currently instead of punish the victims who did indeed speak out? If you do what you say you'd basically eliminate any and all chance of anyone every blowing the whistle on something like this ever again.
I honestly don't know what the hell you do here. What would be the best way to effectively destroy an organization and replace it on the fly? Because that's what really is going to have to happen. USA Gymnastics put it in writing that McKayla Maroney would basically be fined $100,000 for telling anyone about her sexual assault, and I don't really see how there's any coming back from that without gutting the whole thing, starting over, and treating the Karolyi's - along with many other people - like pariahs.

I also wonder what happens to Michigan State once everything is settled.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Oh my loving god it's the Paterno discussion all over again

Not really since Penn State players weren’t the victims in the Sandusky case. Punishing the Penn State football team was not punishing the victims.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mastershakeman posted:

It's sickening and MSU, USA Gymnastics, probably the Karolyis, a bunch of other coaches were all in on it and every one of them should be convicted and their programs shut down. I'm friends with a lot of gymnasts that had horribly hosed up coaches and that kind of behavior just enabled guys like Nassar (one girl's gym had coaches tape thumbtacks to their heels to force them to walk on their toes at all time, for example)

I sort of just assume every Olympics is built on a mountain of physical and emotional abuse

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

I sort of just assume every Olympics is built on a mountain of physical and emotional abuse
If you want a depressing read, Google around on how often Chinese youth gymnasts end up homeless or unprepared to deal with adulthood if they don't make it to the national team.

Gymnastics in particular seems to be a focal point of awful treatment of kids.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I thought I saw a headline today or yesterday stating that USAG wouldn't pursue any lawsuits in regards to Maroney's NDA. Which is good in a "if you did it, it would be the worst possible look for an organization that is already in the crosshairs" kind of way.

Everyone wanted it lifted so she could also speak in front of him in court yesterday with the other victims. They turned a deaf ear toward it.

Chrissy Teigen, Kristen Bell and others offered to pay the fine for her.

Today, a day too late, they come out and say they won’t enforce it, and only because they got universally poo poo on.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

I honestly don't know what the hell you do here. What would be the best way to effectively destroy an organization and replace it on the fly? Because that's what really is going to have to happen. USA Gymnastics put it in writing that McKayla Maroney would basically be fined $100,000 for telling anyone about her sexual assault, and I don't really see how there's any coming back from that without gutting the whole thing, starting over, and treating the Karolyi's - along with many other people - like pariahs.

Well, the NDA is way more boilerplate than criminal. Anytime you have a civil agreement on that you usually have an NDA in place, and an NDA is only as good as its penalty. I wouldn't be surprised if that figure wasn't put up by Maroney's lawyers, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the deal they were looking for.

What you do is press charges against anyone who knew of what the trainer was doing, or was reported something and didn't go to the police.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Not really since Penn State players weren’t the victims in the Sandusky case. Punishing the Penn State football team was not punishing the victims.

I was referring more to the cycle of arguments about who needs to be punished/impacting victims or unrelated people.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

The Karolyis are for sure guilty of perpetuating the cycle of emotional abuse gymnasts go through if nothing else.

President Simon should've stepped down after that bullshit comment about it being impossible to stop a sexual predator.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

If you want a depressing read, Google around on how often Chinese youth gymnasts end up homeless or unprepared to deal with adulthood if they don't make it to the national team.

Gymnastics in particular seems to be a focal point of awful treatment of kids.

Yeah, gymnasts, especially girl and women gymnasts, tend to fall out of the highest level competitions by the time they hit college. I remember China coming under fire for underage gymnasts, mostly because they're lighter and a tad more courageous when it comes to doing big moves. By the time they get to college, for whatever reason, they're no longer competing for Olympic spots. Men's is not as bad, at least from my observations.

e: Most women, from what I've seen, have at most two Olympic competitions in them and then they may do an individual event (like that one competitor from I believe Russia). Men you see coming back repeatedly for whatever reason. Why I have no clue, but again, this is from someone who only really pays attention once every four years as a whole.

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 17, 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know exactly where else to put this since there isn't a dedicated thread to the whole disaster, so I'll just put this here since we were discussing Larry Nassar yesterday:

quote:

Interviewing a number of former MSU athletes, the Detroit News found that at least 14 MSU staffers and representatives were made aware of Nassar’s abuse over more than two decades and beginning as early as 1992, and nothing was ever done about him. Among those officials notified of a Title IX complaint and police report against Nassar was MSU President Lou Anna Simon.

How was Nassar allowed to get away with this for so long? The brutal failure of an institution to take action is explicitly illuminated in interview after interview with athletes who were abused, reported it, and then were either ignored or told not to pursue it any further.

Quote from Deadspin but the full article is here.

FOURTEEN university officials knew and did nothing.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't know exactly where else to put this since there isn't a dedicated thread to the whole disaster, so I'll just put this here since we were discussing Larry Nassar yesterday:

1992! Five years earlier than originally reported.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

1992! Five years earlier than originally reported.
They even let Nassar get away with the "Oh no don't worry this is totally part of a new massage technique" excuse.

Burn the MSU Athletic Department to the ground.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

Christ, that's worse than Penn State. Burn that whole loving thing down and salt the earth.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

I want to throw up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's sickening what people will do to protect their big-money gymnastics programs

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A really good dog.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickmonacelli/status/953353876215918593

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Nassar apparently also submitted a six page single-spaced letter to the judge saying he didn't have the fortitude to keep going through the victim statements. The judge said something to the effect of "I didn't make this choice, you did."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Nasser apparently also submitted a six page single-spaced letter to the judge saying he didn't have the fortitude to keep going through the victim statements. The judge said something to the effect of "I didn't make this choice, you did."
You forgot to mention the most incredible part: he couldn't sit through the victim statements because what the victims were doing to him by recalling the details of his sexual assaults again them was "mentally cruel".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Crazy Ted posted:

You forgot to mention the most incredible part: he couldn't sit through the victim statements because what the victims were doing to him by recalling the details of his sexual assaults again them was "mentally cruel".

He should be strapped down clockwork orange style and have his eyelids forced open

Also all the USA Gymnastics and MSU officials should be on the defendant stand right next to him

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Therapy dogs are legit. I spent several days in the cardiac unit in the hospital last year, and on my second or third night, when I was feeling absolutely down in the dumps and lonely, missing my wife and my dog, they brought therapy dogs through the unit. One of them, a golden retriever who had apparently been completely skittish around everyone else, wanted nothing else than to jump up onto my bed and snuggle at my feet. Made me so goddamn happy that I cried.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Timby posted:

One of them, a golden retriever who had apparently been completely skittish around everyone else, wanted nothing else than to jump up onto my bed and snuggle at my feet. Made me so goddamn happy that I cried.
:3:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Therapy dogs are legit. I spent several days in the cardiac unit in the hospital last year, and on my second or third night, when I was feeling absolutely down in the dumps and lonely, missing my wife and my dog, they brought therapy dogs through the unit. One of them, a golden retriever who had apparently been completely skittish around everyone else, wanted nothing else than to jump up onto my bed and snuggle at my feet. Made me so goddamn happy that I cried.

goddamnit that's adorable :kimchi:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL is now, in addition to asking for name/SS#, etc information from reporters for Super Bowl credentials, is now requiring racial identification. This will definitely go over well.

WaPo posted:

For this year’s game, the league asked the FBI to perform security checks on all credentialed personnel, including members of the media, (NFL spokesman Brian) McCarthy said. The NFL’s security department, which controls the composition of the application form, attempted to make the press credentialing process “consistent with checks that are done for others who receive a working credential,” which includes requesting racial information.

The FBI has said that while providing racial information is helpful to conducting security checks, it has not been, and was not intended to be, a required field on the application form.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=21195

Looks like USA Gymnastics is finally dissociating itself from the Karolyis, or at least ceasing training at their ranch.

Should the Nassar stuff have its own thread? Seems like it merits one, but I don't think I'm the right person to start it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Great popular sport/country/world /time we're living through.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=21195

Looks like USA Gymnastics is finally dissociating itself from the Karolyis, or at least ceasing training at their ranch.

Should the Nassar stuff have its own thread? Seems like it merits one, but I don't think I'm the right person to start it.

It's definitely weird that it's overtaken this thread. Certainly a big enough story to warrant one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I will make one up later, if no one is done so.