Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Discussion Quorum posted:

I just bought jars to try this as well. Anyone done the pressure cooker faux vide version? Curious how they compare. Space is a little bit of an issue for me so the jars are not ideal.

Yeah just do the jars and sous vide. They're loving amazing. We ate a dozen eggs worth yesterday and today :stare:

I did cream cheese, cheddar, and bacon at 163/45 minutes. Turned out like whipped cream cheese consistency and was incredible. Little fluffy egg clouds that literally melt in your mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I don't get the instructions with the jars though. I have to press down on the lid with my thumb and forefinger? Or else they will explode??

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
What? No, just don't close them tightly, you don't have to press down on anything.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
To be fair "fingertip tight" is an absolutely atrocious term

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
One thing I'll mention with the egg bites is that dropping them in a 170f bath can break the jars. I'm not sure if it'd be better to let them come to temperature in the bath or what, but I'm definitely going to try something different after I had to drain an entire cooler worth of egg-water last time I made them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I heated mine under a hot tap after closing them just for that reason. How do you guys go about reheating them later on? The microwave makes them a little dry and spongy.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I heated mine under a hot tap after closing them just for that reason. How do you guys go about reheating them later on? The microwave makes them a little dry and spongy.

Toaster oven / broiler.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If you're using canning jars with properly torqued lid rings they should not come anywhere close to exploding when you drop them in.

I liked adding chorizo to mine. And I found that generously greasing the jars saved me a lot of frustration trying to scrape the last molecules of egg out of the bottom edge when cleaning.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AnonSpore posted:

To be fair "fingertip tight" is an absolutely atrocious term

Yeah, it really is.

Tighten the jar, then untighten it by a quarter turn.

I’m also tempted to just tighten the gently caress out of it and see what kind of cheapass glass jar will crack from the expansion of that tiny little headspace over about 100 degrees of temperature rise.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, it really is.

Tighten the jar, then untighten it by a quarter turn.

That’s not really any clearer. I can tighten a loving jar. Like, no one in the house can open it. ;)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

If you're using canning jars with properly torqued lid rings they should not come anywhere close to exploding when you drop them in.

I liked adding chorizo to mine. And I found that generously greasing the jars saved me a lot of frustration trying to scrape the last molecules of egg out of the bottom edge when cleaning.

I think he meant dropping cold jars into 170 degree water, which can definitely burst them.

I grease mine too with canola oil on a paper towel. If you get good coverage they'll slide right out whole.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So... these jars are not meant to be completely submerged?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

IronSaber posted:

So... these jars are not meant to be completely submerged?

They should be fine. You don't need to crank them down super tight for the seal to work.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The issue is more taking care of thermal shock, so not dropping a jar straight out of the fridge into a 180 degree water bath for instance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’ll probably see bubbles coming out of the jars while they cook. Mine also got much looser (1/4 to 1/3 turn roughly), but the seal was still strong so it wasn’t a problem.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Yeah, my primary fear is just flooding those jars of tasty eggs, which is why the finger-thumb thing made me do mental acrobatics.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I did mine to a variety of tightness today all around “with my fingertips lightly holding”, including backing off and not. All were fine. Water wouldn’t even hurt them very much, I suspect!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some of my recent cooks

24 hour pork butt with a 4 hour smoke to finish for pulled pork BBQ

3 hour pork tenderloin

24 hour pork belly

3 hour chuck steak

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Some of my recent cooks

24 hour pork butt with a 4 hour smoke to finish for pulled pork BBQ

3 hour pork tenderloin

24 hour pork belly

3 hour chuck steak

You realize you are going to HAVE to invite me to dinner (before I show up uninvited)...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just woke up with the worst hangover in years and that still manages to make me hungry... now I am annoyed i missed hotel breakfast. :argh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Samizdata posted:

You realize you are going to HAVE to invite me to dinner (before I show up uninvited)...

Come over any time, I always cook way too much for just two of us.

We do eat all the leftovers for lunch, I don't let any of that glory go to waste!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 20, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Come over any time, I always cook way too much for just two of us.

We do eat all the leftovers for lunch, I don't let any of that glory go to waste!

Now I have to dox you to find out where you live, but with those shots, it seems worth it. :roflolmao:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I am in the same city and that is tempting. I can trade you in some fancy liquid nitrogen frozen bullshit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rockcity posted:

I am in the same city and that is tempting. I can trade you in some fancy liquid nitrogen frozen bullshit.

please, they are already familiar enough with your posting

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm considering smoking a brisket for a few hours until I form some bark then moving it to sous vide for many hours to make it tender without drying it out. Stupid idea?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've had good luck going the other way with large cuts. A quick sear, a long bath, then a 4 hour smoke.

Here's tonight's dinner: 10 hour chuck roast at 133°

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 22, 2018

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A veritable scrolling curtain of meat! Praise be.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That chuck roast looks really nice. What kind of texture were you getting out of it with that temp/timing?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Glottis posted:

I'm considering smoking a brisket for a few hours until I form some bark then moving it to sous vide for many hours to make it tender without drying it out. Stupid idea?

I've done the SV 1st then the smoke for 2-3 hrs. My cooks are 155f for 36hr. If I'm doing just the flat I keep extra fat on/in the bag while SV'ing. If I'm doing point and flat I trim it normally. I've done this 4 times now and found that the extra fat in the bag helps. I also have only done salt & pepper for mine and do salt & pepper before bagging. Assume you'd be fine with other rubs. After cooking I pull it and rest for in the bag for 20ish min then pat dry. If a lot of rub has fallen off I might add a touch more but generally not needed. Read this link
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

sterster posted:

I've done the SV 1st then the smoke for 2-3 hrs. My cooks are 155f for 36hr. If I'm doing just the flat I keep extra fat on/in the bag while SV'ing. If I'm doing point and flat I trim it normally. I've done this 4 times now and found that the extra fat in the bag helps. I also have only done salt & pepper for mine and do salt & pepper before bagging. Assume you'd be fine with other rubs. After cooking I pull it and rest for in the bag for 20ish min then pat dry. If a lot of rub has fallen off I might add a touch more but generally not needed. Read this link
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

This recipe is really good and I agree on the extra fat. I've made it three times with pieces from a Costco whole packer and the only time it was a bit disappointing was the flat-only piece which I trimmed as the recipe suggested..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

kirtar posted:

That chuck roast looks really nice. What kind of texture were you getting out of it with that temp/timing?

It wasn’t as soft as I wanted, needs 24 hours really but I didn’t have anything else for dinner and it needed to be cooked. Flavor was still on point.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Does anyone have thoughts on pre-searing very thick (3") bone in steaks? Is it worth a quick pre-sear, or just go in unseared and sear after?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sear after.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

woot.com has a couple of deals on NutriChef immersion circulators:

https://home.woot.com/offers/nutrichef-sous-vide-or-cooking-balls?ref=w_all_2
https://home.woot.com/offers/nutrichef-immersion-circulator-cooker-you-pick-15?ref=w_all_1

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

127 London broil, ~8-10 hours or somewhere in that range. So good.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
When buying in bulk and vacuum packing for the puddle. Does freezing raw and then puddling, or puddling and then freezing give different results? I'm leaning towards the latter for quickness when eating (puddling the frozen pouch for 30 min?), but wondering if there's a quality aspect to it. I have a regular home freezer/fridge and no access to cheap dry ice for flash freezing.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

rgocs posted:

When buying in bulk and vacuum packing for the puddle. Does freezing raw and then puddling, or puddling and then freezing give different results? I'm leaning towards the latter for quickness when eating (puddling the frozen pouch for 30 min?), but wondering if there's a quality aspect to it. I have a regular home freezer/fridge and no access to cheap dry ice for flash freezing.

I don't think it matters. I think you've got it right with the latter.

E: you'll want to have an ice bath ready for end of cook to bring the temp down before throwing in your freezer

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
About to puddle a NY Strip and then hit it with some MAPP and a new Bernzomatic Heat Shrink torch head.

Wish me luck!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looks like Searzall is available again, only a one week delay:

https://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517360115&sr=8-1&keywords=searzall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Inaugural Heat Shrink and MAPP torch SV and Sear:

(yes I was so excited I didn’t wait long enough to let the juices rest...)

This thing is a badass searer. Better than my cast iron sears.