Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

I'm gonna ask a question about MOVIES so beware, but I saw Blade Runner 2049 recently so that's three Villenueve movies in a row that I've been very impressed by. How are Enemy and Prisoners?

Dude. Incendies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Scream Queens had a good pilot too.

After that, ehhh

whaaaat. the entire first season was gold. i'll admit season 2 was a let down, but it wasn't terrible, just much less interesting

gonna watch ACS2.1 right now

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

whaaaat. the entire first season was gold.

I think it was too long for its concept.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Is there a point where The Orville actually figures out what the gently caress it wants to be? Because, four episodes in, it's mildly enjoyable, but it's mostly Diet Coke Star Trek With Jokes and a Bigger Budget.

none of the characters have really clicked yet, and the guys that run navigation and weapons are EXTREMELY IRRITATING. also the crew has two humorless aliens, lol. I guess one is sassy and the other is constipated, but it still seems a bit redundant.
also I enjoy Norm McDonald's vocal appearances, but I don't know that I'm here for a blob man persistently sexually propositioning the ship's doctor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

I'm gonna ask a question about MOVIES so beware, but I saw Blade Runner 2049 recently so that's three Villenueve movies in a row that I've been very impressed by. How are Enemy and Prisoners?

Prisoners was horribly overlooked and should’ve had a best picture nomination. Brilliant performances from Gyllenhaal, Jackman, and Dano as well as the excellent cinematography you should now expect. Must watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatula City posted:

Is there a point where The Orville actually figures out what the gently caress it wants to be? Because, four episodes in, it's mildly enjoyable, but it's mostly Diet Coke Star Trek With Jokes and a Bigger Budget.

none of the characters have really clicked yet, and the guys that run navigation and weapons are EXTREMELY IRRITATING. also the crew has two humorless aliens, lol. I guess one is sassy and the other is constipated, but it still seems a bit redundant.
also I enjoy Norm McDonald's vocal appearances, but I don't know that I'm here for a blob man persistently sexually propositioning the ship's doctor.

I think it just kept getting better as the season went on, but it sounds like it just might not be your cuppa tea.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After watching Wind River last night I learn two new facts about writer/director Taylor Sheridan (who is kicking rear end right now):

- He is doing a television show for the Paramount Network called Yellowstone.

- He played Deputy Chief David Hale on SoA (I had no idea).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I think it just kept getting better as the season went on, but it sounds like it just might not be your cuppa tea.

Yeah that definitely wasn't an inaccurate description of The Orville, but I absolutely love it. If you're not on board for diet coke TNG then it's just not going to work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope, because I'm not in the pocket of Big Dog

dont be mad just cause u cant run with the big dogs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first episode of ACS Versace was...nothing standout or impressive, but I'll hang in there for a few episodes at least to see how this plays out. People v OJ Simpson was loving stellar television.

It also might not help that I don't think I was ever conscious of the real world story this is based on happening. I don't think I ever remember hearing Cunanan's name until this Modest Mouse song came out, actually :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ai6CSj6YDk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Variety reports that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are currently developing a TV show called Truth Seekers, a half-hour horror comedy about a team of paranormal investigators.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-pegg-and-nick-frost-are-working-on-a-show-about-p-1822196341

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have no idea what is going on with this letter, but she sounds like a goddamn loon.

Why is she so furious?

The person is the one who wrote the Babe article and the one she is referring to is the dipshit that said that Aziz Ansari can't understand body language and verbal requests to stop because he is not a "mind reader"

Who absolutely deserved to be savaged but this was a super childish way to go about it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

spudsbuckley posted:

The first episode of the new season of American Crime Story was pretty good. The first season was really great so i have high hopes for this one.

It's weird how uneven the quality of Ryan Murphy shows are.

A lot of it often depends on just how much a hand he has in the writing of any given show. AHS: Asylum, for instance, had the least direct involvement from Murphy of all the seasons iirc and is thought of by most to be the best of the bunch.

It also depends on how many shows he's stretched thin across, and he's been doing a lot lately and most of his properties have been coming out good. It helps he has a super solid stable of actors and actresses from AHS/etc that he's been working with lately who will produce good performances even when the material is a little weak.

Crime Story: Versace iirc has one person writing every episode, and that person isn't Murphy. Murphy didn't write any of People vs. OJ either and that show was loving excellent. He's a great ideas man but imo does his best work when someone else handles the story and he handles directing and working with the cast.

Forgot Versace started already! Excited to check out the premiere tonight.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Snoodit/status/954088465720688640

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spatula City posted:

They've already stated that for season two they're going to scale back on the joke stuff. Basically he said it will still be a humorous show but they don't feel like they have to be constantly joking any more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

In fairness HLN is a really garbage news channel.

They haven't been a news channel ever since they rebranded from CNN Headline News to HLN. Now it's just sensationalism.

loving Zucker.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

The first episode of the new season of American Crime Story was pretty good. The first season was really great so i have high hopes for this one.

Listening to Seppinwall's podcast, they said the show was good, but suffers from the built expectations that it's billed as "American Crime Story". It doesn't really share anything tonally with the first season. It's a deliberately paced psychological serial killer season that examines the mind of a killer whilst exploring interesting things like being a gay man in America during that time. It's not a fun, sometimes campy show full of pop culture references like season 1.

The reviewers are half expecting the guys from Mindhunter to drop in and start interviewing him as it's more like that show than People vs OJ

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also, thanks thread. I didn’t realize ACS was back. Is it mostly centered on Andrew Cunnanan leading up to his killing spree and murder of Versace?

Yes, I think it takes a (somewhat frustrating) structure of him killing someone in one episode, then the next episode is a flashback that shows how he disguised himself and got to know the victims.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It also might not help that I don't think I was ever conscious of the real world story this is based on happening. I don't think I ever remember hearing Cunanan's name until this Modest Mouse song.

You aren't alone there, this isn't the massive cultural sensation that was the OJ trial. Sepinwalls cohost mentioned this as one of the downsides. Season 1 was something that could appeal to everyone because it could be a different show to different audiences (coutroom drama fans, true crime fans, pop culture fans, people reminiscing and seeing the "behind the scenes" of everything they remember etc.) where as this show is one thing and one thing only. If you are a fan of that thing, it's a great show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looten Plunder posted:

You aren't alone there, this isn't the massive cultural sensation that was the OJ trial. Sepinwalls cohost mentioned this as one of the downsides. Season 1 was something that could appeal to everyone because it could be a different show to different audiences (coutroom drama fans, true crime fans, pop culture fans, people reminiscing and seeing the "behind the scenes" of everything they remember etc.) where as this show is one thing and one thing only. If you are a fan of that thing, it's a great show.

Yeah, I mean, I remember hearing all about it on the Today Show's morning headlines before I left to catch the school bus, but honestly all I really knew about Versace was that he designed Judge Dredd's costume for the Stallone movie.

God help us if Murphy's plan to do Katrina for Season 3 pans out.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

God help us if Murphy's plan to do Katrina for Season 3 pans out.

It's already in the can I think. It will be out this later this year.

OK, I jumped the gun there, it's not 100%, but they have the rights to the new book it will based on and the actors are still on board so the chances of it happening are high.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 19, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

They haven't been a news channel ever since they rebranded from CNN Headline News to HLN. Now it's just sensationalism.

loving Zucker.

Back when it I was headline news I loved it for a quick update. Right now I just use it for forensic files when I want to fall asleep on night shifts.

How is the Orville if I liked TNG as a concept and thought the show was kinda slow? I liked a lot of the actors but 90s me got kinda bored by filler episodes. Loved stuff like the borg or the time loop episode though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Back when it I was headline news I loved it for a quick update. Right now I just use it for forensic files when I want to fall asleep on night shifts.

How is the Orville if I liked TNG as a concept and thought the show was kinda slow? I liked a lot of the actors but 90s me got kinda bored by filler episodes. Loved stuff like the borg or the time loop episode though.

You will like it. Its TNG but people don't pretend to be all high brow. They have fun with karaoke and Seinfeld, not string quartets and they call each other dicks when warranted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of surprised that TNT is still doing The Librarians seeing as it completely goes against their recent push for more "prestige" TV.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
first ep of ACS 2 was absolutely fantastic (Jolt cola, nice)

is nobody gonna thread it? cause i'll thread it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

first ep of ACS 2 was absolutely fantastic (Jolt cola, nice)

is nobody gonna thread it? cause i'll thread it.

Thread it, I had missed that it came back last night.

Yeah it's looking good. Unlike OJ I knew literally nothing about this beyond the name Versace so it was interesting watching the first ep blind and then reading up on what actually happened. This show is apparently following a somewhat controversial take on what happened but I'm into it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

muscles like this! posted:

They've already stated that for season two they're going to scale back on the joke stuff. Basically he said it will still be a humorous show but they don't feel like they have to be constantly joking any more.

So I know not to give the Orville another shot in S2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

See, I'm way more down for an ACS about Katrina because I lived through that. I was in New Orleans at the time it happened, evacuated, came back and I'm in New Orleans now. I would probably already be familiar with a lot of the names/characters having lived here, and the show would resonate with me extra hard because I watched the local news a ton around that time and saw all that poo poo play out in real life.

The same would've been true for OJ, but I was a kid when it happened. I was always aware of it, though. With Gianni Versace, I was never even aware of his story.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

See, I'm way more down for an ACS about Katrina because I lived through that. I was in New Orleans at the time it happened, evacuated, came back and I'm in New Orleans now. I would probably already be familiar with a lot of the names/characters having lived here, and the show would resonate with me extra hard because I watched the local news a ton around that time and saw all that poo poo play out in real life.

Are you sure you wouldn't just get super angry and offended at all the things they get wrong?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

Are you sure you wouldn't just get super angry and offended at all the things they get wrong?

Depends on who Murphy gets to write it, wouldn't it?

I mean if he writes it himself it'd prob be a trainwreck, yeah. But the pattern so far is Murphy only directing and showrunning while someone else handles the scripts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Knowing Murphy, he tends to play things up/exaggerate, so it could go either way honestly. It could be hilarious or it could be offensive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
weird, i distinctly recall Versace's murder being a pretty massive deal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Check out this old dude.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

I grew up in South Florida and was only 14 when he was killed and it was definitely a big deal, at least in South Florida.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It was a little bit of one out here in San Diego because the killer went to a local school for a bit. That set off a bit of a "Holy poo poo that dick bag from campus is a serial killer?!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never heard anything about Versace. Definitely nowhere near the level of the OJ case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well let's be fair, almost nothing in the past 30 years has been as big as the OJ case. Hardly anything even comes close.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Never heard anything about Versace. Definitely nowhere near the level of the OJ case.

That's like saying a terrorist attack is nowhere near the level of 9/11.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

swickles posted:

That's like saying a terrorist attack is nowhere near the level of 9/11.
Well for as terrible as all terrorist attacks are, let's be real: they happen all the time (to varying degrees of severity) and a lot of them don't have the lasting effects on a global scale that 9/11 did.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Lethal Weapon is really loving good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

Lethal Weapon is really loving good.

Where can I watch old episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Where can I watch old episodes?

Hulu doesn't have Season 1 but they have all of Season 2 to date. I'll do a quick recap: You know the basic setup, Riggs is a suicidal smartass, Murtagh's old and cautious. Riggs is talking to a therapist (played by Jordana Brewster), their captain is Murtagh's old partner so he banters right along with them, the CSI is nicknamed Scorsese because he really wants to make movies for a living, and you can pretty much figure out the rest as you go along. When season 1 left off, Riggs was on the verge of getting back in the game with a friendly DEA agent, but he found out that his wife's death was a hit ordered by a cartel boss due to something her dad (the LA district attorney) did (I missed the last two episodes). So Riggs is on a suicide mission in Mexico to kill his rear end and Murtagh's going after him.

And just FYI, the season premiere resolves the death of Riggs' wife once and for all, it's not loving Castle with Beckett's mom. Season 2's arc...
...is less of a whodunnit so far (note: I'm only eight episodes in) and more of an extended exploration of Riggs' childhood. It's not subtle, but it's wildly compelling, in part because Clayne Crawford is acting the poo poo out of it.