Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i had a minor freakout when i could not find the open or closed apple keys.
this has not been a thing since the apple II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

qirex posted:

this has not been a thing since the apple II

i'm getting hella strong mandela effect on this one. i could swear those white keyboards that came with the g3 macs had them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i'm getting hella strong mandela effect on this one. i could swear those white keyboards that came with the g3 macs had them

lol nope

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I swapped for the cooler-looking adb IIGS keyboard back when I had my mac SE but that was like 1991.

e: that only had one apple key

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 19, 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bose is for idiot old people ordering it out of skymall or qvc

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pram posted:

agreed except for the bose soundlink mini which is legitimately very good sounding.

i chose the worse sounding logitech UE boom 2 though because it's waterproof

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

I can't find it due to the proven true mandela effect (shazam, etc) but they definitely had that going up to right before the og imac era. guaranteed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
nope. i have an apple extended keyboard ii from the mac ii and an apple keyboard from a mac classic and neither have open and closed mac keys

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
would anyone else just trade it all in for, yknow, a hug?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

if you fly a lot for work the QC35s are p much the best on the market hth

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I can't find it due to the proven true mandela effect (shazam, etc) but they definitely had that going up to right before the og imac era. guaranteed.

literally not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

if you fly a lot for work the QC35s are p much the best on the market hth

yeah but they still follow the bose rule. they sound worse than any other headphones in their price bracket.

the noise cancellation is best in the business, though, and on an airplane that's all that matters

sony sells better-sounding headphones w/ noise cancellation, but you know what, i give zero fucks about what the headphones sound like not-on-an-airplane

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pastamania posted:

would anyone else just trade it all in for, yknow, a hug?

maybe a reach around

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but they still follow the bose rule. they sound worse than any other headphones in their price bracket.

the noise cancellation is best in the business, though, and on an airplane that's all that matters

sony sells better-sounding headphones w/ noise cancellation, but you know what, i give zero fucks about what the headphones sound like not-on-an-airplane

right

bose's aviation headsets (commercial, not consumer) are and have always been very popular among pilots. they kind of know what they are doing for airplane noise cancellation

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i think the IIGS might have been the first one without open/closed apple keys?

also gosh that takes me way the gently caress back

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

uncurable mlady posted:

i think the IIGS might have been the first one without open/closed apple keys?

also gosh that takes me way the gently caress back

i believe the //gs had open and closed

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I use a Microsoft natural pro keyboard with my mbp touchbar

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
https://i.imgur.com/dFadpk1.png

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

iigs was the first apple computer to use the adb bus for keyboard/mouse, which was then used by macs after that. open apple became command (which is why until recently the command key had both the apple logo and squiggly thing on it) and closed apple became option. adb keyboards never had the closed apple printed on keycaps tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

agreed except for the bose soundlink mini which is legitimately very good sounding.

i chose the worse sounding logitech UE boom 2 though because it's waterproof

yeah the bose mini speaker the girl has bluetooth speaker thing is very good and also has a dock which is superior

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

lol. nice 'shop

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

cis autodrag posted:

I use a Microsoft natural pro keyboard

:yeah:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what a sick tkl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

what a sick tkl

this was a sweet piece of industrial design but it has not aged well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was a sweet piece of industrial design but it has not aged well

i think a lot of snow white design language* has though

*not sure if the mac 128k keyboard counts, but surely the the mac itself does

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

lol. nice 'shop

no, it is real and it is my friend

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pxc550s are p dece

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So I got a new car with CarPlay and of course you can only use Apple Maps with it, no Google for you.

It wont allow you to type in destinations, only to shout at Siri.

I know Maps sucks, and Siri sucks too but it's still quite breathtakingly bad.

I'm driving in Brighton - a big coastal town - the Miami of England if you will. I ask it for THE GRAND HOTEL BRIGHTON - literally the biggest, most famous hotel in the town (the one the IRA blew up in the eighties) and I get back one result

"I found HOTEL MERCURE, LEICESTER" (a random town 200 miles away in the Midlands)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you use your phone to key stuff in but only if you’re stopped

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

you use your phone to key stuff in but only if you’re stopped

"You're driving it wrong"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

smellmycheese posted:

So I got a new car with CarPlay and of course you can only use Apple Maps with it, no Google for you.

It wont allow you to type in destinations, only to shout at Siri.

I know Maps sucks, and Siri sucks too but it's still quite breathtakingly bad.

I'm driving in Brighton - a big coastal town - the Miami of England if you will. I ask it for THE GRAND HOTEL BRIGHTON - literally the biggest, most famous hotel in the town (the one the IRA blew up in the eighties) and I get back one result

"I found HOTEL MERCURE, LEICESTER" (a random town 200 miles away in the Midlands)

Siri loving sucks, it's been like 6 years and it seems to get worse

Maps was never good

zen death robot
May 27, 2001
maps works for me :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

zen death robot posted:

maps works for me :shrug:

appears to 100% depend on where you are, google maps is good in most places, apple maps vary quite heavily in quality

which is weird as google is otherwise to a great extent pretty bad at localizing their services, but the maps and search teams are pretty on top of this stuff

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

appears to 100% depend on where you are, google maps is good in most places, apple maps vary quite heavily in quality

which is weird as google is otherwise to a great extent pretty bad at localizing their services, but the maps and search teams are pretty on top of this stuff

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat/ is a good post about the disparity in quality and features between google maps and apple maps and some sensible conjecture as to the how and why of it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
siri is awful, but apple maps has been pretty great for driving. only - big - issue is you still get these loving alerts, even in driving mode

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat/ is a good post about the disparity in quality and features between google maps and apple maps and some sensible conjecture as to the how and why of it.

apple maps look like absolute garbage for a pedestrian

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i don't know enough about apple's algorithms vs what they put in their ad copy to argue with this. i would have assumed bone structure alone wasn't good enough for accurately distinguishing faces but i don't know poo poo about biometrics.

blocking IR has nothing to do with being a good scarf tho. clothes (and hair) keep you warm by reducing heat loss due to convection and conduction. if u wrap your nude body in aluminum foil it traps in your IR radiation but you'll still freeze to death on a cold night.

if it isn't getting IR through the scarf then how is it seeing that hidden bone structure? its not just using a tiny piece of the face around the eyes, i right?

I didn’t mean that it sees your bones. it’s a laser that projects a bunch of tiny dots at your face and takes a picture of them. it calculates where the dots are versus where they should be and constructs a 3D model of your face. it then compares the shape and ratios of the major features it sees. in particular, the placement of your eyes, the shape of your head, nose, cheek bones, and jaw. it does not have millimeter accuracy, it’s about getting a good approximation of several of those things that gives it enough confidence to declare that it’s you. it doesn’t see skin color, it doesn’t see your pimples. it can survive your beard or scarf obscuring some things, but maybe not your sunglasses.

aluminum foil does a pretty great job keeping my burrito warm. and hair does a great job of keeping my head from baking in the sun.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

I didn’t mean that it sees your bones. it’s a laser that projects a bunch of tiny dots at your face and takes a picture of them. it calculates where the dots are versus where they should be and constructs a 3D model of your face. it then compares the shape and ratios of the major features it sees. in particular, the placement of your eyes, the shape of your head, nose, cheek bones, and jaw. it does not have millimeter accuracy, it’s about getting a good approximation of several of those things that gives it enough confidence to declare that it’s you. it doesn’t see skin color, it doesn’t see your pimples. it can survive your beard or scarf obscuring some things, but maybe not your sunglasses.

aluminum foil does a pretty great job keeping my burrito warm. and hair does a great job of keeping my head from baking in the sun.

yeah, i didnt know it was a laser, that's neat.

ifixit or someone else had a video of it working they took with a high speed camera. the camera wasn't fast enough to see the laser rastering across the face, it just looked like an IR flash that lit up the dudes face and then unlocked the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this wasn't the video i was thinking of but it is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oz-Q3tn70k&t=177s

you can see it scan her face three times in about the same amount of time it takes her to blink.