Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dodoman posted:

If I've never played a Tekken game before and my only fighting game experience is the Injustice 1 and MK9 SP campaigns, will I enjoy the Tekken 7 story mode (I'll never play it online)? All I know about Tekken has been gained via osmosis (Dads and sons throwing each other into volcanoes, pandas and tigers. Also there's a demon guy?) so I have no real nostalgia as a base.

There's about 5 hours of story mode content where you get to watch silly action scenes and mash buttons as/against different characters, which is pretty entertaining.

The meat of the game lies in multiplayer though, and I don't think I could recommend Tekken 7 based on it's singleplayer content alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Bummer, guess I'll wait for a steeper steam discount next year before trying it out.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I like the story mode cause it let me bust out EWGFs like I knew what I was doing :D

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just bought this game when the last tekken i played was 4. drat is this so different and so close to home at the same time.

I'm learning the ropes again after being a literal decade away from fighting games. King is cool as hell so I've done a few matches with him. Claudio has the best style in the game so I also like him. Are these decent characters to learn the ropes with? Any decent guides out there?

I mostly just become happy when i do a 5 streak attack while my enemy just wipes out half by HP bar away while i'm being flung around in the air :downs:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Here's some stuff:

That Blasted Salami King guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kECJiYvljs

Framewhisperer King guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlyUYlW0IpA&t=226s

Framewhisperer Claudio guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxq5KLAH9I

Some videos on fundamentals from blasted salami, framewhisperer, level up your game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weR0poIEkKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5iVJXd7toE&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvnDpz_lmEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-N3r0EHfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZQ4A9SXbqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onfgm7ifwhQ

There's more character guides on both That Blasted Salami and Framewhisperer that seem pretty decent. Probably worth poking around.

More written guides here:
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=3d84eb3d2a2eb2a6bbda5390de8f28ee&threadid=132429&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Big playlist of Aris tutorial videos that I would check out after learning some of the fundamentals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22-w1zmhlFI

You can often find more advanced stuff pinned in the character specific channels at the Tekken Zaibatsu discord

Edit: this Aris video from the OP are probably where you should start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I keep getting matched against people who show a 4 bar connection in the matchmaking window but then it immediately drops to 2 or 3 during the match :nallears:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is also this:

Poniard posted:

I keep getting matched against people who show a 4 bar connection in the matchmaking window but then it immediately drops to 2 or 3 during the match :nallears:

Wifi

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

What kind of loving barbarian plays fighting games over wifi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

95% of console players

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Claudio has the best style in the game

You spelled Miguel wrong.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Romes128 posted:

You spelled Miguel wrong.

Miguel has nothing even close to being as fancy as Claudio's WS1,1

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

King, Claudio and fundamentals

:eyepop: This is incredible, thank you so much for all the guides.

Where should i start playing online in? Ranked or regular online battles? Because i went to online battles and my first three matches were with the same dude with 2k wins wiping my rear end. (never lost to a perfect and even finished 3-2 once though :smug:)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can play ranked until you hit silver. You don’t get demoted in wood ranks.

But mostly play regular matches. Are you in the discord with us?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ideally play with someone from here or in a discord or something so you can talk with them while you play, it's the best way to learn. If you can just ask someone "Hey is that +? Does that hit overhead?" in between rounds you'll pick up on stuff a lot faster than just rolling the dice in ranked matches online

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What's the discord?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It’s at the top of the op. It’s cool. There s also Tekken Zaibatsu for character discussion.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Romes128 posted:

You can play ranked until you hit silver. You don’t get demoted in wood ranks.

But mostly play regular matches. Are you in the discord with us?

Mostly playing with friends who already had the game but yeah first thing i did was join the discord in the OP and start stalking everyone's discussions :ninja:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Poniard posted:

What kind of loving barbarian plays fighting games over wifi

I had no idea how much a wired connection made a difference until I bought a wire on the back of a Reddit post :ohdear:
No more hitching when my wife watches YouTube and I regularly get 10+ rematches from good players. Had a proper deathmatch with a really good Kazuya yesterday while I was trying to pick up Gigas. Ended up about 3-12 to them and they quit once they went 3 ranks ahead but I managed to rank up above my original rank really quickly with what I'd learned. Kaz's cd4 is so loving hard to read if your opponent doesn't spam it. I think I blocked it twice.

Still on my quest to get every vanilla character up to Brawler. It's really entertaining! Got Gigas, Claudio, Kazumi and Lili up to Mentor yesterday. Josie up next, might be struggle since I really didn't click with her and it's taken 40+ matches just to get to Initiate. Her cd3 is pretty chunky, though.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Is there any word on old characters as DLC? I was hoping Lei Wulong would come out as I think he is the best thing.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Walton Simons posted:

Kaz's cd4 is so loving hard to read if your opponent doesn't spam it. I think I blocked it twice.

Hellsweep isn't reaction blockable so don't feel bad about it. You do need to guess to not get whopped by that. Good news is that EWGF is high, so you can block low and cover both of those options from crouch dash if you don't think a mid is coming out.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ah, that's a good point, thanks!

Managed to get Josie up to Mentor with one match, which I won all three rounds in.

Next was Xiaoyu, which was... not so good. I struggled with her a lot and lost a lot of points to an Eliza on a 23-win streak who I took to 5 rounds a few times but never beat, dropping to 3rd Dan (I always rematch unless I'm being utterly whupped or one of us goes 3 ranks ahead). Also ran into that 1000+ win fundoshi-clad Lars I'm fairly certain is a smurf. Managed to get my poo poo together, get back to Initiate and went into my final match of the night to find it was a promotion match against a pretty handy Asuka who took the first two rounds with some really neat sidestepping but she kept eating my db1 and I just managed to get the promotion. Lowest win percentage yet at 41.7% from 60 matches) but a promotion is a promotion.

Paul tomorrow and I can't clutch deathfist to save my life :ohdear:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got to Brawler with Paul by just doing Deathfist or Demoman randomly over and over.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
"Having a fast low that leads to damage" is pretty much one of the key 'Why you play Kazuya?' queries anyway, so don't sweat it.

*Looks mournfully at his 40 damage max off a low for Kazumi, whilst repeating 'Low is basically chip damage' from Aris like it'll make it hurt less.*

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shockeh posted:

"Having a fast low that leads to damage" is pretty much one of the key 'Why you play Kazuya?' queries anyway, so don't sweat it.

*Looks mournfully at his 40 damage max off a low for Kazumi, whilst repeating 'Low is basically chip damage' from Aris like it'll make it hurt less.*

40 whole damage?!
That's twice the damage Claudio's only good low does.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Jack Trades posted:

40 whole damage?!
That's twice the damage Claudio's only good low does.

That's not one move. That's the max damage combo off a low. (CH db4 step d+2)

E: This is the price you (willingly) pay to have a teleporting pet tiger.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Kazumi db4 is legit one of the best moves in the game

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, I should probably clarify, I’m A-OK with it. I wish I could get a combo off a low just for the threat, but I’ll happily hit db4 to open them for a mid all day.

Doesn’t stop me feeling jealous that I’m the Mishima without the option, was all. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Oh, I should probably clarify, I’m A-OK with it. I wish I could get a combo off a low just for the threat, but I’ll happily hit db4 to open them for a mid all day.

Doesn’t stop me feeling jealous that I’m the Mishima without the option, was all. :)

You have FLY 3,2 for a hellsweep. :downs:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Snake edge lows are scrub poo poo anyway, not having one means you won't get used to having it work against bad players and you'll be better off in the long run.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Just got demoted with Paul as I came up against a Chloe who kept using a move I was helpless against.

It's 'coffee grinder' to 'double corkscrew' that one where you hold db and mash 4 and keep doing the low-mid-low-mid-low-mid forever until you let go of db, keep mashing 4 and she'll do two mids, shouting 'double' before the second. It seems like if I missed my low parry, even if I blocked the first mid after they let go of db, the second one would always hit, straight through block. How do I avoid it?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Walton Simons posted:

Just got demoted with Paul as I came up against a Chloe who kept using a move I was helpless against.

It's 'coffee grinder' to 'double corkscrew' that one where you hold db and mash 4 and keep doing the low-mid-low-mid-low-mid forever until you let go of db, keep mashing 4 and she'll do two mids, shouting 'double' before the second. It seems like if I missed my low parry, even if I blocked the first mid after they let go of db, the second one would always hit, straight through block. How do I avoid it?
First off, if you ever come across any move that you have no idea how to deal with them spamming a string, hit up practice and make the bot spam it and figure out what your best option is.

This is what my own personal labbing revealed.
1. If you don't block the low you can if you're fast enough just do whatever your 10f punish is to interrupt the mid. If you have a spicy 10F CH string that's probably ideal.
2. you can block the second mid if you hold back to continue blocking ( you might need to press back again? I dunno)
3. You can also interrupt the second mid hit with something 11f and get a free combo off it (You can also press forward and cancel out of the stagger from the first hit and do something up to 15f but it's a bit dangerous to do so)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Cool, thanks.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
A couple friends of mine are getting back into tekken so I'm hopping back in as well. I can still play kazumi decently and Law okay, but I want to branch out and experiment with more characters (Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi, Master Raven and Feng all appeal to me), but I don't really know the best way to go about learning the ropes for them. Is there a way people pick up characters beyond just looking up top 10 moves then getting crushed in multiplayer over and over?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CascadeBeta posted:

A couple friends of mine are getting back into tekken so I'm hopping back in as well. I can still play kazumi decently and Law okay, but I want to branch out and experiment with more characters (Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi, Master Raven and Feng all appeal to me), but I don't really know the best way to go about learning the ropes for them. Is there a way people pick up characters beyond just looking up top 10 moves then getting crushed in multiplayer over and over?

Treasure Battle

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean treasure battle is basically just an excuse to practice things on terrible AI's, it's barely more interactive than training mode. And less customizable. But it gives you a little variety if you're looking for dummies to punch.

I'm bad but I don't think there's any shortcuts. It sounds like you know what you do. There's that wonderful not so fun stage of learning new characters where your basically trying to internalize your reactions to their movelist and to get through that you just gotta play.

The first thing I try to do when I'm messing with someone new aside from scoping their top moves is learn a few easy combos off their standard launchers because I get frustrated if I don't know follow ups, but other than that it's just time I think.

And then there's the obvious thing where the better your fundamentals, the easier it is to pick up new guys. Now, my fundamentals are trash so I don't know anything about that.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 18, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just wanna pop in and say that I've been playing Tekken 7 for a few weeks now, it's become THE game my friends and I play during our get-togethers, and this thread is very cool and helpful. I'm used to 2D fighters, so this has had a severe learning curve for me.

I'm interested in playing online more, so I may pop into the discord this weekend for some matches. I suck, but I love the game. My discord name and PSN name are also Franchescanado.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Anyone noticed a rise in difficulty on PC ranked lately? Maybe good players are getting bored and picking up other characters or there are less casual players now because I'm finding that there are a lot of really quite good players around 4-5 dan who know a lot of moves, mixup well, are unpredictable and don't rely on gimmicks which I've not noticed before. Learning a lot from it, though. Playing a lot more defensively as they do still whiff a lot.

Managed to get Jack and Devil Jin up to Mentor today, I'm a fan of both of those, really fun to play and I'm familiar with Jack from all the old games, Jin being half Mishima with some of his and Jun's moves is cool, too.

Got demoted as Steve right after, not sure if I suck really badly with him or my opponents were really good, he seems like someone who needs lot of work to understand well. He's now my worst character at W10 L21, 3rd Dan. Him and Lee are going to be the big obstacles in my weird quest. Lee is amazing to play, though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Walton Simons posted:

Got demoted as Steve right after, not sure if I suck really badly with him or my opponents were really good, he seems like someone who needs lot of work to understand well. He's now my worst character at W10 L21, 3rd Dan. Him and Lee are going to be the big obstacles in my weird quest. Lee is amazing to play, though.

The way Steve functions is extremely different from the rest of the cast. When I switched to Steve as my main character, it felt like I was learning the game from scratch again because he's missing so much basic poo poo that most of the other characters have.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Sounds like I need to head to practice mode for a while. I've only ever used him in arcade mode before T7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
As Leo, what's your basic gameplan? I really like them, but I'm pretty bad in general and unsure how to use their tools properly.