Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If anyone has a Flo Grappling account, I just watched the Roger Gracie videos on closed guard and attacking the turtle and they are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
this is for people who know absolutely nothing about Judo, but it might have what you're asking in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfKasoI5yc

starkebn fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 14, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That vid's what got me asking, actually. I didn't watch judo at all during the last season so I'm pretty lost to the rules right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Current major rules in a nutshell -

Ippon or two Waza-aris wins the match
20 seconds pin for Ippon, 10 for Waza-ari
3 shidos is dq
Leg grabs are now normal shidos
Fighting must happen from normal grips, but irregular grips can be used to throw.
Golden score tiebreakers can only happen from positive score or DQ; shidos are not counted as tiebreakers.

Everything else is extremely specific to particular situations or a type of hair splitting to determine who gets a point.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cheers, that clears it up.

Edit: I realize you just typed up what it says in the video but I guess I'm dumb like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

Cheers, that clears it up.

Edit: I realize you just typed up what it says in the video but I guess I'm dumb like that.

No problem. I didn't watch the video.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Are there many judo clubs around that rage against the olympic rules? I've been meaning to start looking for a club in my city but I don't care about the competition rules and I'd prefer that the curriculum wasn't built around them. I mean, I could go to a club, learn some judo, then adapt it in my spare time to fit into my bjj game, but I'm hoping there's a bunch of grumpy old dudes somewhere who just give zero fucks about rules that will help me fit it together with double legs and imanari rolls.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Are there many judo clubs around that rage against the olympic rules? I've been meaning to start looking for a club in my city but I don't care about the competition rules and I'd prefer that the curriculum wasn't built around them. I mean, I could go to a club, learn some judo, then adapt it in my spare time to fit into my bjj game, but I'm hoping there's a bunch of grumpy old dudes somewhere who just give zero fucks about rules that will help me fit it together with double legs and imanari rolls.

A Japanese Judo guy I know has opened a Judo school with open rules in Montreal (I don't know much but that's what was told to me). He's really good and was flown out here to help an Olympic prospect.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There's the freestyle judo movement, which is basically judo with leg grabs and extra matwork time. http://www.freestylejudo.org

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, it really depends on the club. Some clubs are competition focused will have more emphasis IJF allowed techniques. But most will still teach and train all of the kodokan judo techinques even if it's competition illegal (hadaka jime, ashi garami, kata gurama, etc...). My old club had a lot of people from other arts cross train so the only time we really cared about competition rules was when gearing up for comps during competition season.

Back when the leg grab rule came out it really salted my game but I still used my attacks during randori plenty of times. Teammates were quick to point out it's now competition illegal but ultimately gave zero fucks.

edit: If you're looking for a club, if the website really puts emphasis on "olympic" and "IJF" then it may be more competition focused. If they mention "self-defense" or "recreational" they probably teach all the techniques.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 15, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Where is hadaka jime banned?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I'm probably getting the nomenclature wrong - what's a neck crank?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I did judo for 6 months and it was literally what you describe. They taught to fit current rules but were not shy about their criticisms and taught everything.

They also participated in that free style judo thing and a fair number would attend gi and no-gi grappling tournaments.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
If you are choking someone with poor technique and are not cutting off blood supply, you may be just cranking on the neck. Or, sometimes you are just cranking on the neck, like you might be trying to snap it w/o a choke. Many intermediate / advance bjj people won't tap to a crank because even though they suck, you can fight them for a long time and not risk passing out. Considered poor from to crank away on training partners (at least at my club) but in competition, go nuts.

I tend to crank when trying to darce, I'm working on getting better so I don't do this.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
ooooooohhhh, okay thanks. :)

Mae Hadaka Jime is a guillotine choke in judo but really it's neck cranks that are banned. I was wondering if there is a general term for neck cranks in judo. My google fu is pretty weak.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

ooooooohhhh, okay thanks. :)

Mae Hadaka Jime is a guillotine choke in judo but really it's neck cranks that are banned. I was wondering if there is a general term for neck cranks in judo. My google fu is pretty weak.

they just call em neck cranks. Maybe something like "kubi gatame"? Dunno.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Dumb questions incoming!

I just transitioned to BJJ from a few months of Judo due to changing jobs/homes further away and having the club make a bunch of decisions regarding memberships that jacked the prices way up for the number of classes they actually run (they run BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo and Aikido classes with Judo getting the least time).

I have a newish BJJ gi with ripstop pants and regular double-weave top. I got home last night and chucked it in my housemate's $3000 Samsung touch-screen wifi-enabled bullshit dumb washer that's had nothing but problems on the 'Intensive Cold' cycle. I pulled it out when it was done and it was steaming hot... gently caress I hope it hasn't shrunk. We're thinking it's borked once again, and this time the warranty has expired, so in the off-chance it has, has anyone got any hot tips on pre-shrunk gis to keep an eye out for so I don't have to risk forking out for a brand new one in the off-chance it didn't shrink the one I have?

Second question: I have quite large ear tunnels that are too large to shrink back down due to minimal elasticity left in the skin. What's best for rolling - solid silicon plugs, or tape them up somehow, and what product would be best?

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 15, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

crowtribe posted:

Second question: I have quite large ear tunnels that are too large to shrink back down due to minimal elasticity left in the skin. What's best for rolling - solid silicon plugs, or tape them up somehow, and what's product would be best?

Probably tape 'em like this:

e: or pull a maasai and just loop 'em over

butros fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2018

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

crowtribe posted:

Dumb questions incoming!

I just transitioned to BJJ from a few months of Judo due to changing jobs/homes further away and having the club make a bunch of decisions regarding memberships that jacked the prices way up for the number of classes they actually run (they run BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo and Aikido classes with Judo getting the least time).

I have a newish BJJ gi with ripstop pants and regular double-weave top. I got home last night and chucked it in my housemate's $3000 Samsung touch-screen wifi-enabled bullshit dumb washer that's had nothing but problems on the 'Intensive Cold' cycle. I pulled it out when it was done and it was steaming hot... gently caress I hope it hasn't shrunk. Were thinking it's borked once again, and this time the warranty has expired, so in the off-chance it has, has anyone got any hot tips on pre-shrunk gis to keep an eye out for so I don't have to risk forking out for a brand new one in the off-chance it didn't shrink the one I have?

Second question: I have quite large ear tunnels that are too large to shrink back down due to minimal elasticity left in the skin. What's best for rolling - solid silicon plugs, or tape them up somehow, and what's product would be best?

I've never had a gi shrink from being washed hot, just from the dryer. I use hot water on my white gis and they don't shrink any more than the colored ones

e: actually I've got two gis of the same size and model and the blue one shrank a gently caress load more than the white one, might just be crappy quality control though

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 15, 2018

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

Probably tape 'em like this:

*pharoah chin ear*

e: or pull a maasai and just loop 'em over

Ha! I actually tried the maasai but it pulls the top of my ear down and undoes itself. Not quite big/loose enough or that'd be a great trick. I used to route my earphones through my ears so they wouldn't fall out.

Dave Grool posted:

I've never had a gi shrink from being washed hot, just from the dryer. I use hot water on my white gis and they don't shrink any more than the colored ones

e: actually I've got two gis of the same size and model and the blue one shrank a gently caress load more than the white one, might just be crappy quality control though

It wasn't so much the colour than I thought washing it hot might shrink it, but if it's the drying process that shrinks it, I'm hopefully fine. I'll try it on in a few hours when it's dried on the line and hope for the best.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Danaher/Rogan podcast episode was great. A lot of cool insights.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

JaySB posted:

How much SJW/extracting nitrogen from air/keto discussion?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

By the way, these shirts are finally available:

http://wyrdapparel.com
Checkout code HIREDGOONS for 10% off.

I've tried to make shipping as competitive as possible but I'm sending from Australia which is essentially a fiery wasteland at the end of the earth, so the rates might be a bit high. I've calculated prices for Australia, USA, Canada and UK. Mainland Europe and South America I've just put averaged pricing on, but if you send a message I'll calculate better specific prices for your country.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the rate to the Kpop Kingdom? (South Korea)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

$14 aud for slow, $20 aud for less slow.

Send any further queries to wyrdapparel@gmail.com so as to not derail thread with nefarious capitalism

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

None

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Pocket Billiards posted:

As said previously, no conspiracy or drug talk. I think Rogan is kinda frustrating in his tangents but was VERY good at letting Danaher talk in that episode.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

JaySB posted:

Agreed. If you're interested in leg locks, you really need to listen to this one. From the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIzroXoyn2Y

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I’m thinking of buying a second gi; I want something that is super lightweight so it drys quickly, and also because my instructor insists on the room we train in being incredibly hot.

Can I get a few suggestions on lightweight gis please.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bought Kingz Ultralight Gi a while back for competitions since my school gi is 2lbs heavier and its pretty great.

Reminds me I need to have patches sown on stil.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

crowtribe posted:

Second question: I have quite large ear tunnels that are too large to shrink back down due to minimal elasticity left in the skin. What's best for rolling - solid silicon plugs, or tape them up somehow, and what product would be best?
Have you considered wrestling headgear?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I’m thinking of buying a second gi; I want something that is super lightweight so it drys quickly, and also because my instructor insists on the room we train in being incredibly hot.

Can I get a few suggestions on lightweight gis please.

The stealth pearl weave gi from Hayabusa is nice.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

$14 aud for slow, $20 aud for less slow.

Send any further queries to wyrdapparel@gmail.com so as to not derail thread with nefarious capitalism

Will do.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've tried to make shipping as competitive as possible but I'm sending from Australia which is essentially a fiery wasteland at the end of the earth, so the rates might be a bit high. I've calculated prices for Australia, USA, Canada and UK. Mainland Europe and South America I've just put averaged pricing on, but if you send a message I'll calculate better specific prices for your country.

Dude, that patch is loving hilarious too.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Love it. Ordered for me and my bro.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love the patch as well.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

I love the patch as well.

Love me a cool patch

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Does anyone know much about the BJJ gyms in Wellington, New Zealand? There are only three and I've heard mixed things about one of them. I'm moving there soon and I'll trial them all out but any extra info would be grand. Also please share tips about not being That Guy in a new gym/country (I am a fresh blue and expect to have a big target on my back).

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Tap early tap often. Remember you're not there (at practice) to compete with anyone but yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was another judo minor rules update this week, but the points are a bit of a mess:

No more armlocks or strangles permitted if both fighters are in standing position. This is a small but historically significant change, as the old Kodokan technique sets demo tons of standing strangles and armlocks. I tend to use small annoying strangles from standing as a way of forcing my opponent to shift position. It's unclear if this precludes flying attacks. Mostly straightforward, I guess. It's funny because just the other night we were coaching someone to use an Americana to counter a certain gripping strategy.

Then there's this mess about ground fighting (newaza):

quote:

2 When fighting in Ne-waza and there is not a dangerous situation or not any reason to give Mate the contest will continue, even if one of the players does not stand up he can be thrown and the action will be considered valid for scoring purposes if there is an immediate attack. If the player who is in Ne-waza grabs the leg he will be penalised with Shido.

This sounds to me as if uke is turtled or prone and tori finds a way to pick him up and throw him, that tori can score, and uke isn't allowed to grab a leg to defend. I'm not sure if this will be cool in that it prevents people from stalling defensively, or if it will be stupid, because it prevents people from entering newaza meaningfully.

e. I did a bit more reading and it sounds as if this aims mostly at situations in which someone has missed a throw and ended up on the knees. The standing player can still go for a valid throw at that point, and the person on the knees will get a penalty for grabbing the leg defensively.

Then there's this:

quote:

3 In the case of Kaeshi-waza, Tori, the thrower who is applying the counter attack, cannot use the impact of landing on the tatami.

I'm reading this as meaning that a sacrifice counter throw which uses a complete fall to create momentum will not score for the counter thrower.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 19, 2018