Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm dense and didn't get that the third Aegis was Alvis. I thought that was an odd thing to throw out there and never mention the name of the third Aegis. Makes sense that it was Alvis...

But Klaus does mention it, he says that Aegis's name was Ontos, and that it was flung off into some dimension and he doesn't know where it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm dense and didn't get that the third Aegis was Alvis. I thought that was an odd thing to throw out there and never mention the name of the third Aegis. Makes sense that it was Alvis...

It's a brief bit in the ending of XC1, but Alvis states he was the orbital station's supercomputer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Count Bleck posted:

But Klaus does mention it, he says that Aegis's name was Ontos, and that it was flung off into some dimension and he doesn't know where it is now.

Oh, right. I kind of dismissed it because I didn't recognize the name at all.. Fair enough! I did say I was dense, did I not?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a brief bit in the ending of XC1, but Alvis states he was the orbital station's supercomputer.

Did I mention also that I have a poo poo memory? Thank you. It all makes sense now.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's strange how (still ending spoilers) Klaus's personality developed in XC2's world vs. XC1's. Probably the effect of seeing how his actions impacted the world he came from, and also being aware of what his other self had done to Mayneth/Galea

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

It's strange how (still ending spoilers) Klaus's personality developed in XC2's world vs. XC1's. Probably the effect of seeing how his actions impacted the world he came from, and also being aware of what his other self had done to Mayneth/Galea

iirc, He specifically mentions the other universe got his evil half.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's a strange choice to me that the game respects your time by allowing you to skip any dialogue and by letting you get right back into a combat you've lost and yet it makes you listen to every voice clip and go into the menus all the time.
So many unusual decisions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

It's a strange choice to me that the game respects your time by allowing you to skip any dialogue and by letting you get right back into a combat you've lost and yet it makes you listen to every voice clip and go into the menus all the time.
So many unusual decisions.

You can skip voiced lines in the scenes where they have speech bubbles I think? I'm like 95% sure I've done so on a couple heart to hearts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

IcePhoenix posted:

You can skip voiced lines in the scenes where they have speech bubbles I think? I'm like 95% sure I've done so on a couple heart to hearts.

Yea you can. But I'm more thinking of in Merc Missions or in normal cinematics, that sort of thing. Just the huge bulk of loads of pointless repeated lines.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

Yea you can. But I'm more thinking of in Merc Missions or in normal cinematics, that sort of thing. Just the huge bulk of loads of pointless repeated lines.

Oh right. Yeah, I've been letting my common blades lead all my merc missions that don't require a specific leader for a while now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So, I followed some of the advice I got re: Break the Game with Zenobia and Friends!

Preliminary results: Promising!

I'm running with Five, Four, and Nia, because those guys are my favorites. Rex is boring and gently caress Tiger Tiger in particular. :colbert: I beat up lv 100 Gladiator Whatshisname at the Cliffs of Morytha It took me a few tries. Successful attempt I lucked into hitting a special right when he did some kind of bullshit AOE attack (is that what people mean by invincibility frames?) and Chain Attacked his rear end- Full Burst with the Burst Symbols equipped did 75% of his health. Most of that was KOS-MOS. Dayum, KOS-MOS!

Then to let off some steam, I beat up Cloud Sea King Ken and did almost a million damage to him! :stare: That... wow... I almost feel bad about that one.

Oh and also I got Dahlia on Nia. I'm only missing Newt now.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just hate when a merc mission returns and you have to sift through all the characters earning skills.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Chernabog posted:

I just hate when a merc mission returns and you have to sift through all the characters earning skills.

I realllly wish you could just skip past all that poo poo. Surely they can patch it?

edit: idgaf what common blades get since they're only there to brute force collection checks that take more than ~5 or so.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 18, 2018

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Okay so I do I deal with Superboss Ophion's Barrier Field. Not attacking when it goes up works fine for me (playing as Morag) but the AI is too stupid to do anything but keep attacking it and die. I can revive them just fine because party gauge is easy to build and maintain but there's always once, usually deep in the battle where he uses it at just the wrong time and Morag dies and the AI just kills themselves before one of them can disengage and revive me.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I realllly wish you could just skip past all that poo poo. Surely they can patch it?

edit: idgaf what common blades get since they're only there to brute force in collection checks that take more than ~5 or so.

It's something that can surely be condensed into a single screen showing what got learned by which blade and how many nodes are left on each chart

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I did this sidequest and retrieved a collar for an old man and he said it used to belong to his dear dog. But there aren't any loving dogs in this universe. Wanna try again, old man?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tender Bender posted:

So I did this sidequest and retrieved a collar for an old man and he said it used to belong to his dear dog. But there aren't any loving dogs in this universe. Wanna try again, old man?

Remember the only other reference to dogs in game is Poppi QTpi talking about Tora installing a dog mode that has her crawl around and bark she isn't supposed to talk about in public

:shepicide:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ruff ruff bark woof

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Don't kinkshame. Or do, if he's into it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

Remember the only other reference to dogs in game is Poppi QTpi talking about Tora installing a dog mode that has her crawl around and bark she isn't supposed to talk about in public

:shepicide:

In that very same h2h zeke talks about actual dogs so the conclusion must be that they exist but are always off screen.

This is probably an inconsistency caused by localization, actually. I remember this scene at least originally has nothing to do with dogs, so it's possible all references to dogs were added in loc.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Zeke himself has a pet turtle who is in fact the best character, and Dromarch is a giant cat, so dogs existing doesn't really seem weird at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It is a loving crime Turters never shows up after that intro.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
At the very least they talk about him in a h2h with Nia. Maybe the deep, intricate backstory of Turters will be revealed in the DLC next year later this year.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

In that very same h2h zeke talks about actual dogs so the conclusion must be that they exist but are always off screen.

This is probably an inconsistency caused by localization, actually. I remember this scene at least originally has nothing to do with dogs, so it's possible all references to dogs were added in loc.

She adds woof to the end of her sentences in the Japanese version so it's not like it doesn't allude to dogs

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Momomo posted:

Zeke himself has a pet turtle who is in fact the best character, and Dromarch is a giant cat, so dogs existing doesn't really seem weird at all.

There are also the rando Blades that look like dogs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE loving MOON posted:

edit: idgaf what common blades get since they're only there to brute force collection checks that take more than ~5 or so.

Filling out a blade's affinity chart gives you weapons manuals that can be used to increase a character's WP for a weapon by 1000, 2500, or 5000, depending on the manual. The type and quantity you get are based on the rarity of the blade.

Also if you max out a 4* blade's affinity you get an overdrive for releasing them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The excitement of getting a rare blade.

The disappointment when it's a tank and therefore is worse than Poppi.

Also the disappointment when it isn't frost/electric/dark/light.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

It is a loving crime Turters never shows up after that intro.

In at least one scene you can spot Zeke cuddling it. I think it's when they talk about Genbu.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

Okay so I do I deal with Superboss Ophion's Barrier Field. Not attacking when it goes up works fine for me (playing as Morag) but the AI is too stupid to do anything but keep attacking it and die. I can revive them just fine because party gauge is easy to build and maintain but there's always once, usually deep in the battle where he uses it at just the wrong time and Morag dies and the AI just kills themselves before one of them can disengage and revive me.

Cancel into an IV special or level 3 combo finisher when the text appears and you'll be invincible for its whole duration. Between Barrier Field and Falak Buster you should have an invuln up as often as you can during that fight. Chain attacks work in a pinch, too.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Filling out a blade's affinity chart gives you weapons manuals that can be used to increase a character's WP for a weapon by 1000, 2500, or 5000, depending on the manual. The type and quantity you get are based on the rarity of the blade.

Also if you max out a 4* blade's affinity you get an overdrive for releasing them.

Ah, didn't know about the weapons manuals. That's good to know. As for overdrives, I got 3 from the expansion pass and don't really need them. I guess I might switch Azami over to Nia and use Sheba on Rex.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

How do I make trash mob encounters shorter? I’m just running away because they take so long and give so little XP. I take it just upgrading my weapons is not enough? I’m at Chapter 3 so I don’t think I can do any OP crit builds yet.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mill Village posted:

How do I make trash mob encounters shorter? I’m just running away because they take so long and give so little XP. I take it just upgrading my weapons is not enough? I’m at Chapter 3 so I don’t think I can do any OP crit builds yet.

Just sheath your weapon and run. :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mill Village posted:

It gets better later on. You can put instruments in pouches to make special attacks charge faster. Generally doing a combo like Fire 1+, Water 2+, Fire 3+ will wipe out an enemy in one or two cycles and is doable with just Pyra and Dromarch.

Honestly, the system really isn't balanced right until you get the full driver combo system up and running in chapter 4 or so.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Maybe I'm misunderstanding trash mob. For me right now, that means the really underleveled things I bring up when salavaging that I have to fight anyway. If it's stuff at or around my level, I fight it out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

THE loving MOON posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding trash mob. For me right now, that means the really underleveled things I bring up when salavaging that I have to fight anyway. If it's stuff at or around my level, I fight it out.

Trash in this case is stuff that you run into as you explore around. In most RPGs, a fight against a random encounter like this would take less than a minute for decent payoffs. In the early game though, those fights take multiple minutes and are a complete slog since most of the damage mechanics simply aren't available at that time. They also tend to not even be particularly dangerous - it's just giant sacks of HP slowly whittling each other down.

Sure, the encounters might be fun the first time, but by the time you've spent 20 minutes going through 3 packs of enemies, and you see another 7-10 before you reach your destination, it starts to get really tedious really quickly.

By the mid-end game though, driver combos poo poo out huge amounts of damage, level 3+ affinity upgrades start making 20% chances into 60% chances, and equal level enemies melt in a matter of 10-15 seconds or so. Furthermore, you outlevel most enemies in areas that you go back to, so exploring for sidequests involves a lot less tedious combat.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you go into a Xenoblade game thinking you should fight everything in your way, you're going to have a bad time. If you don't wanna fight just run. I think I fought maybe 5 battles when I was exploring Gormott for the first time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Fixed an issue in which parts set to a specific Skill RAM failed to provide their intended effects.
Adjusted the Gormott regular quest “The Riddle on the Wall” to make it completable regardless of player progression in the main story.
Adjusted Finch’s Blade Quest “Birds of a Feather” to make it completable regardless of player progression in the main story.
Fixed an issue in Agate’s Blade Quest “Precious Yearnings” preventing quest progression.
Added functionality to allow players to receive the first round of quests and the second round of items associated with the Expansion Pass.
Voiced segments in menus can now be skipped with the A or B button.

:prepop:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We're 5% of the way to unfucking Ursula

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Silver Falcon posted:

There are also the rando Blades that look like dogs.

It's actually kind of weird. There's Dromarch, and there's random blades, but there's no other rare animal blades.

Of course they announce this the day after I finished Ursula's quest.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
New game plus isn't in yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I knew that Agate quest was broken

Also how do I trigger KOS-MOS's quest?