Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Saukkis posted:

I have a below style mount, it presses the computer from below and it would require considerable force to come loose. I also have the mount tilted between the side legs of the table, so the computer is pretty well out of the way.

How is this different from just putting the computer on the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Saukkis posted:

I have a below style mount, it presses the computer from below and it would require considerable force to come loose. I also have the mount tilted between the side legs of the table, so the computer is pretty well out of the way.

Notice how the actual mount only holds onto ~1/3 of the entire length of the PC? That means that it only takes one solid bump to get the PC to slip out. Of course, the more force you use the more secure the PC will be, but the PC is still ultimately just dangling there. I'm telling you from experience that this was a constant problem at my workplace. Granted, that involved dumb work people who don't give a poo poo about company property, but in the same circumstances it would still be a risk for you and your personal PC.

Part of the issue was again the fact that the PCs were mounted within a relatively narrow under-desk area that also shared space with the user's chair and legs, and another part was the fact that the actual mounts can slide the whole PC forward and back. This meant that you could actually push the mount far enough back to hit the rear of the desk and spit the PC out forward, and also users would pull the whole PC too far forward to reach the USB ports on the back.

You have a different mounting situation, with a the PC off to the side and a lot more room underneath that table, but this was enough of an issue where I have to recommend against these under-desk mounts.

Hellsau posted:

I think the idea is to get it up & out of the way, so your feet don't hit it and you can vacuum/clean underneath. In my case, these mounts were immediately preceded by these rolling floor mounts, kind of like this. A manager thought it was a good idea to switch mounting hardware to raise the PCs 6" :rolleyes: but to be fair, it's not like he could've predicted the chaos that would ensue.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coredump posted:

Would you be willing to do 1920 x 1080 or do you really prefer the 1920 x 1200? Also are you willing to go up in resolution?

This one is 27" 1920 x 1080 and can do 75 hz refresh for ~ $210: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Full-Dual-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06Y18624J

Oh, I’m willing to go higher on resolution, and my budget is $400. Just gotta be 27 inches or more.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Oh, I’m willing to go higher on resolution, and my budget is $400. Just gotta be 27 inches or more.

Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS WQHD AMD FreeSync Certified Range of 30Hz - 144Hz (Adaptive-Sync)1440p LED Gaming Monitor With Base Stand (NX-EDG27S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G6PGP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tgyyAbYWYP6SS

This is the monitor I got. IPS. Great free sync range if you have an AMD card. The real compromise on the monitor is the larger bevels, But there's no bleed. Very happy with it. If you want something similar with gsync your gonna need to fork over quite a bit more though.

Edit: also I've been using it with a GTX 1080. I don't really have fps issues in any game I play. So I don't really miss the gsync. I had a AMD card before and it worked great on the monitor when I first got it. I switched to a GTX card when I built my new system

Silhouette Wires fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 19, 2018

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Atomizer posted:

Notice how the actual mount only holds onto ~1/3 of the entire length of the PC? That means that it only takes one solid bump to get the PC to slip out. Of course, the more force you use the more secure the PC will be, but the PC is still ultimately just dangling there. I'm telling you from experience that this was a constant problem at my workplace. Granted, that involved dumb work people who don't give a poo poo about company property, but in the same circumstances it would still be a risk for you and your personal PC.

That's a nonissue, the mount is very tight. You can give it a kick and the computer won't slide. In fact, you're more likely to rip the mount off the table.

What your experience tought us, is that you need to choose a sturdy mount and take the time to plan how to install it on the desk. I'm sure the designers of that mount didn't mean it to be installed rotated between the desk legs, but what ever works. It was certainly easier than what I had to do with same kind and the electric desks at work. The mechanized legs take too much space to have a place for the mount to be installed. I had to unscrew the table from the legs and move it off-center as much as possible. At least it provided amusement for my coworkers while I was drilling and screwing under the desk. And it was a better than another style of electric desk where I had to attach the computer under the desk with straps.

Admittedly they've mostly stopped using them at my work too. It doesn't make sense for the company to pay for the carpenters to install the mounts and for IT support to go for the extra effort to attach the computers to the mounts instead of dropping them somewhere in the cable reach. But for my own desk at home and work I will certainly go through the effort.

Hellsau posted:

It's off the floor so it isn't gathering dust from there and it's not in the way while vacuuming. It's also not taking any valuable table space and the fans aren't next to my ear. I consider under desk mounting the optimal method with the computer in the way the least.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Saukkis posted:

That's a nonissue, the mount is very tight. You can give it a kick and the computer won't slide. In fact, you're more likely to rip the mount off the table.

What your experience tought us, is that you need to choose a sturdy mount and take the time to plan how to install it on the desk. I'm sure the designers of that mount didn't mean it to be installed rotated between the desk legs, but what ever works. It was certainly easier than what I had to do with same kind and the electric desks at work. The mechanized legs take too much space to have a place for the mount to be installed. I had to unscrew the table from the legs and move it off-center as much as possible. At least it provided amusement for my coworkers while I was drilling and screwing under the desk. And it was a better than another style of electric desk where I had to attach the computer under the desk with straps.

Admittedly they've mostly stopped using them at my work too. It doesn't make sense for the company to pay for the carpenters to install the mounts and for IT support to go for the extra effort to attach the computers to the mounts instead of dropping them somewhere in the cable reach. But for my own desk at home and work I will certainly go through the effort.

It's off the floor so it isn't gathering dust from there and it's not in the way while vacuuming. It's also not taking any valuable table space and the fans aren't next to my ear. I consider under desk mounting the optimal method with the computer in the way the least.

It's great that that setup works for you, but I must reiterate that the mouthbreathers I work with managed to damage a bunch of computers mounted that way as previously described. As I've said, based on my own experience/observation I cannot recommend that style of PC mount, but YMMV.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got a couple of old 24" Dell 2407WFP monitors flanking my Acer XB270HU.

They're getting old and the backlight is yellowing and dimming. I might just end up replacing the backlight, but maybe I'll just replace them...with something. Preferably cheap and it doesn't need to be a gaming monitor.

Anyone have any idea what monitors are going to come closest to matching my Acer when it comes to the image?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a couple of old 24" Dell 2407WFP monitors flanking my Acer XB270HU.

They're getting old and the backlight is yellowing and dimming. I might just end up replacing the backlight, but maybe I'll just replace them...with something. Preferably cheap and it doesn't need to be a gaming monitor.

Funny how that works out, my secondary 2407WFP seems to have popped a capacitor -- I was playing a game and it just went *pop* and turned off. You had a good run, little monitor, 12 years and probably at least 2-3 years of cumulated uptime. :shobon:

My primary is a Dell U3011 and I kind of like the overkill vertical size of 30+ monitors. I also feel like trying that 4K fad, even though my 1080 won't run everything at native res. UW, not so much. In order of priority, I guess I'd like:

30+" > 4K > G-sync > Low latency >>> UW

Is there such a unicorn out there? Or should I just settle for the first 2 with a UP3216Q?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Jan posted:

Funny how that works out, my secondary 2407WFP seems to have popped a capacitor -- I was playing a game and it just went *pop* and turned off. You had a good run, little monitor, 12 years and probably at least 2-3 years of cumulated uptime. :shobon:

My primary is a Dell U3011 and I kind of like the overkill vertical size of 30+ monitors. I also feel like trying that 4K fad, even though my 1080 won't run everything at native res. UW, not so much. In order of priority, I guess I'd like:

30+" > 4K > G-sync > Low latency >>> UW

Is there such a unicorn out there? Or should I just settle for the first 2 with a UP3216Q?

The acer xb321hk should hit the first four. I imagine the Dell monitor has a better panel overall (from the perspective of colour accuracy for professional work) but the acer still uses a decent IPS panel. I don't use the included stand but I don't find the predator logo any more distracting that the Dell logo on my other monitors.

Acer support is trash though, and you should take that into consideration.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
got a U3415W. it is majestic.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silhouette Wires posted:

Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS WQHD AMD FreeSync Certified Range of 30Hz - 144Hz (Adaptive-Sync)1440p LED Gaming Monitor With Base Stand (NX-EDG27S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G6PGP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tgyyAbYWYP6SS

This is the monitor I got. IPS. Great free sync range if you have an AMD card. The real compromise on the monitor is the larger bevels, But there's no bleed. Very happy with it. If you want something similar with gsync your gonna need to fork over quite a bit more though.

Edit: also I've been using it with a GTX 1080. I don't really have fps issues in any game I play. So I don't really miss the gsync. I had a AMD card before and it worked great on the monitor when I first got it. I switched to a GTX card when I built my new system

Went with this, will be here Tuesday, cheers!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
27" HannSpree joker seems fine, but you cant adjust the angle its tilted at and it had a big fat shadowy patch in a corner when I turned it on. Will report on colour range when the new one arrives

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 21, 2018

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Jan posted:

FWIW, caps are easy to replace even with minimal soldering skill. If you can pop that thing open and see a burst cap, you could still save it for backup!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Desuwa posted:

The acer xb321hk should hit the first four. I imagine the Dell monitor has a better panel overall (from the perspective of colour accuracy for professional work) but the acer still uses a decent IPS panel. I don't use the included stand but I don't find the predator logo any more distracting that the Dell logo on my other monitors.

Acer support is trash though, and you should take that into consideration.

Yeah, I'm conflicted -- I didn't actually expect a monitor to have all 4 features, so now I have to consider straying from Dell. They've just been so consistent and solid, and if something actually does go wrong, their service is great, sooo... Time to compare reviews and actually research instead of making an impulse decision. Being a responsible consumer sucks, I guess? :v:

Suppose I do go without G-sync, but would rather have 60fps over native resolution if a game is too demanding on my 1080, how does upscaling to 4K look in general? Would I have comparable results upscaling something from 2560x1440 to a monitor with that native resolution? (e: Using GPU scaling, mind you, not monitor scaling.)

latinotwink1997 posted:

FWIW, caps are easy to replace even with minimal soldering skill. If you can pop that thing open and see a burst cap, you could still save it for backup!

Right, it's definitely a repair I've done in the past for other stuff, assuming my diagnosis of a burst capacitor from pop-then-won't-turn-on is even correct.

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 21, 2018

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm looking at options for 144hz, 1440p, IPS, and G-sync monitors. I'm seeing an Acer and Asus model running for about 700 and 750 USD respectively. Should I wait for the next best thing, sale, or just go ahead and buy one of these monitors? 60hz and 23 inch IPS is getting kind of old for me since I do a lot of fps gaming.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm looking at options for 144hz, 1440p, IPS, and G-sync monitors. I'm seeing an Acer and Asus model running for about 700 and 750 USD respectively. Should I wait for the next best thing, sale, or just go ahead and buy one of these monitors? 60hz and 23 inch IPS is getting kind of old for me since I do a lot of fps gaming.

There are supposed to be some 4k/120Hz/IPS/HDR monitors coming out this year but they are expected to cost somewhere between $1500 and $2500. Personally I'd go with something cheaper now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dell 4K S2817Qr 28-Inch Screen for $279 new seems like a good deal yes?

E: lol they dont charge tax either so that trigger= pulled

If its viewing angle is too lovely for me ill return it but ive been wanting an el cheapo 4k screen as a secondary and this seems to fit that

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 22, 2018

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am absolutely dumb when it comes to monitors so looking for a little advice. For 164 this doesn't seem like a bad Ultrawide monitor but I would love some different opinions.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-...trawide+monitor

I want to upgrade to an ultrawide but don't want to break the bank. I would like curved but not really a deal breaker.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you tell us what you plan on using it for itll be easier to identify pros and cons for you

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

If you tell us what you plan on using it for itll be easier to identify pros and cons for you

Sorry about that, mostly for work, lots of IT work, and of course SOME gaming. Lots of excel/word/citrix stuff.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Flaggy posted:

I am absolutely dumb when it comes to monitors so looking for a little advice. For 164 this doesn't seem like a bad Ultrawide monitor but I would love some different opinions.

I want to upgrade to an ultrawide but don't want to break the bank. I would like curved but not really a deal breaker.

The 25" ultrawides feel very very small, I would not recommend anything less than 29" for the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 25" ultrawides feel very very small, I would not recommend anything less than 29" for the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Perfect. Thank you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Flaggy posted:

I used either that exact monitor or a nearly identical revision of it. It works, and I still have it connected to my secondary desktop, but what Radish wrote is spot-on. 25" stretched to UW is indeed wide, but so short that it feels tiny. I swapped it out on my main PC for a 34" version of the same LG line; it's only got the same WFHD resolution, but it's easier to use due to being physically bigger. These LG UWs ultimately will work for any of the uses you listed, including gaming.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Do people have an idea of when 1440p Ultrawides might drop in price soon?

I've wanted one for years, and I'm starting to run out of patience waiting for a tolerable price point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FBS posted:

Do people have an idea of when 1440p Ultrawides might drop in price soon?

I've wanted one for years, and I'm starting to run out of patience waiting for a tolerable price point.

If they drop in price it's going to be gradual, not sudden, so if I were in your shoes I'd keep saving up while keeping an eye out for sales and such.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

I used either that exact monitor or a nearly identical revision of it. It works, and I still have it connected to my secondary desktop, but what Radish wrote is spot-on. 25" stretched to UW is indeed wide, but so short that it feels tiny. I swapped it out on my main PC for a 34" version of the same LG line; it's only got the same WFHD resolution, but it's easier to use due to being physically bigger. These LG UWs ultimately will work for any of the uses you listed, including gaming.

Do you have one of the LG 34" ones you recommend? I was looking at a couple I think.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Do you have one of the LG 34" ones you recommend? I was looking at a couple I think.

This is the one I bought, like new/refurb'd on eBay for $250. It's basically just a stretched version of the 25", same resolution, which isn't high for that display size but it's fine for gaming and video. There's otherwise nothing special about that line of monitors; the stand felt flimsy (all-plastic, and it bounces a lot) but I put the monitor on a desk-standing dual-monitor mount. It only has 2x HDMI ports, so I'd suggest targeting a newer version with at least a DP if at all possible for flexibility.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any good 1440p 10-bit monitors with high refresh rate out there yet?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Boz0r posted:

Are there any good 1440p 10-bit monitors with high refresh rate out there yet?

The X34P is very good (best on the market really) and fits the bill, albeit also 21:9. The XB271HU also from Acer has a panel that supports 10 bit but I've never got solid response on whether the controller accepts a 10b single. A few of the LG ultrawides have 10b and do 75Hz+, similar panels to the X34P.

There are a bunch of Samsung VA panels that also hit that target but they're mostly pretty poo poo.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

BurritoJustice posted:

The X34P is very good (best on the market really) and fits the bill, albeit also 21:9. The XB271HU also from Acer has a panel that supports 10 bit but I've never got solid response on whether the controller accepts a 10b single. A few of the LG ultrawides have 10b and do 75Hz+, similar panels to the X34P.

There are a bunch of Samsung VA panels that also hit that target but they're mostly pretty poo poo.

I bought the Acer XB271HU because I thought it was 10-bit, since I read it somewhere, but it doesn't support it. 27" is a perfect size, though, any bigger and I'll probably get confused.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I'm looking for a 27" monitor that will mainly be used for productivity apps (Word, Excel, etc) and also for Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I don't plan to do any gaming on this (will be driven by a MacBook Air or Surface Pro for the time being). I have seen the HP Z27n or Dell U2717D thrown around as options. Are there other 27" monitors that I should look at?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am thinking of mounting a Chromebox + touchscreen on the wall in my kitchen. It would be used for playing music / video while cooking, following recipes, and other "kitchen-y" uses.

Any suggestions for a touch screen monitor which is compatible with ChromeOS? Would these Dell monitors work? (one, two)

I've never bought a touch screen monitor, so I'm not familiar with the options.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Considering what touchscreen monitors cost (and their usual small size), have you considered using something like an older iPad or other tablet for this? It'd simplify the setup and make for a rather thin mounting option.

e; looks like you're trying for a much larger option than a tablet would allow. Both those monitors should work fine as displays for whatever you want.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 24, 2018

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am thinking of mounting a Chromebox + touchscreen on the wall in my kitchen. It would be used for playing music / video while cooking, following recipes, and other "kitchen-y" uses.

Any suggestions for a touch screen monitor which is compatible with ChromeOS? Would these Dell monitors work? (one, two)

If you're in Google's ecosystem, waiting on their Echo Show competitors might be a worthwhile option: https://www.cnet.com/news/google-home-assistant-smart-displays-echo-show-lenovo-lg-sony-jbl-ces-2018/

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I considered an iPad, but I'd like a much larger screen (I want to see it from ~6-8 feet away). I also want to be able to use it as a display for other devices (e.g., laptops) when working at the kitchen table.

I'm aware of the recently announced Google devices with screens and indeed I am deep in the Google ecosystem. Those are of interest, but I don't think they quite do what I want to do -- I want access to the full web (for Twitch.tv and other services which might not be compatible with the echo show competitor), I want more precise control over what plays (not just something 'close enough' on YouTube), and due to some good fortune I have a Chromebox for free anyway. This seemed like a fun and useful project which makes use of the free Chromebox. I am open to suggestions for other projects, though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've considered this and came to the conclusion that i was probably best off with a dell or hp all in one pc or something

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I considered an iPad, but I'd like a much larger screen (I want to see it from ~6-8 feet away). I also want to be able to use it as a display for other devices (e.g., laptops) when working at the kitchen table.

I'm aware of the recently announced Google devices with screens and indeed I am deep in the Google ecosystem. Those are of interest, but I don't think they quite do what I want to do -- I want access to the full web (for Twitch.tv and other services which might not be compatible with the echo show competitor), I want more precise control over what plays (not just something 'close enough' on YouTube), and due to some good fortune I have a Chromebox for free anyway. This seemed like a fun and useful project which makes use of the free Chromebox. I am open to suggestions for other projects, though.

I'm not sure if touchscreen monitors relay the touch input as a "generic" mouse input or if they require specific drivers. That being said, I think you could accomplish what you're intending by using a large display and a Chromecast, then you can send whatever you want to that setup from your Android and ChromeOS devices.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

I'm not sure if touchscreen monitors relay the touch input as a "generic" mouse input or if they require specific drivers. That being said, I think you could accomplish what you're intending by using a large display and a Chromecast, then you can send whatever you want to that setup from your Android and ChromeOS devices.

What else would they register touch as? The screen would just think that it's being a good boy?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

X34P is up for sale at Newegg and Acer sites in the US. From what I gather it’s slightly better than the Alienware 34” because the Acer has adjustable gamma, 8bit+frc color, and speakers.

Due to potential panel lottery issues and Newegg’s nightmarish customer service I’m holding out for Amazon.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

What else would they register touch as? The screen would just think that it's being a good boy?

Windows has a separate class of driver for pen/touch, so I guess it’s possible that they register touch that way? (Who’s a good boy?)