Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fruit on the bottom posted:

So far, it definitely seems to rule out anything that involves reincarnation. Of course I would expect that to change if the writers think of way to include that in a funny way.

At this point, I'm basically calling that the series (whenever it does end) will end with the main four being reincarnated on Earth and given a second chance with all the improvements they've made on themselves. This will almost certainly be remarked on as completely unprecedented, with the slight possibility that Doug Forcett did it before them and that's how he got it all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Anne Whateley posted:

lol I know kind of a lot about Christianity. Of course many Christians are taking a more moderate path now; I didn't say they weren't. I was responding to this line of conversation

because it's straight-up incorrect; the Bible definitely does mention fire torture hell and not just "won't you be sad without me?" hell.

The use of "fire" in the Bible refers not to eternal torment but simply to absolute destruction. It's not "bad afterlife v. good afterlife", it's Good Place or No Place.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Anne Whateley posted:

lol I know kind of a lot about Christianity. Of course many Christians are taking a more moderate path now; I didn't say they weren't. I was responding to this line of conversation

because it's straight-up incorrect; the Bible definitely does mention fire torture hell and not just "won't you be sad without me?" hell.

you have implied twice that "the bible" is some kind of logic manual from which doctrine is derived. i didn't say this explicitly in my first post, but to add to what I said before: it is a minority of Christians who derive doctrine this way. so no, you clearly do not know much about Christianity if you are ignorant of this very basic point

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Anne Whateley posted:

Ok so I was wrong. Don’t need to be a dick about it, geez

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ok so I was wrong. Don’t need to be a dick about it, geez
I wasn't trying to be a dick to you at all, I don't think my first post was; it was just to be informative. The post you quoted was dickish to the person who was being a dick to me.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you have implied twice that "the bible" is some kind of logic manual from which doctrine is derived. i didn't say this explicitly in my first post, but to add to what I said before: it is a minority of Christians who derive doctrine this way. so no, you clearly do not know much about Christianity if you are ignorant of this very basic point
other poster: the Bible doesn't mention torture hell
me: here's where the Bible mentions fiery torture hell [source]
you: THE BIBLE IS NOT A LOGIC MANUAL IDIOT

got that, thanks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

other poster: the Bible doesn't mention torture hell
me: here's where the Bible mentions fiery torture hell [source]
you: THE BIBLE IS NOT A LOGIC MANUAL IDIOT

got that, thanks

i have exclusively posted on the issue of what Christians actually believe. your personal view of how the Bible should be interpreted has no bearing on what different groups of Christians believe

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

DoctorWhat posted:

The use of "fire" in the Bible refers not to eternal torment but simply to absolute destruction. It's not "bad afterlife v. good afterlife", it's Good Place or No Place.

What about the use of "brimstone" and "wailing and gnashing of teeth"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you have implied twice that "the bible" is some kind of logic manual from which doctrine is derived.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The real Bad Place was the posts we made along the way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i have exclusively posted on the issue of what Christians actually believe. your personal view of how the Bible should be interpreted has no bearing on what different groups of Christians believe
I didn't say anything about how the Bible should be interpreted or anything about my personal beliefs

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The bible, in scare quotes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Buncha Chidi types in this thread, huh?

E: VVV He's self centered because he agonizes and debates about every decision and made his friends and family miserable with this behavior and yet never stopped.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
This is a neat show that I'm now caught up with. Only thing is I still don't see why a guy like Chidi belongs in the group. His flaws were never from a place of self-centeredness like the others. The others its easy to see, but not him. I guess it was more important to have a character like him in the group than to have the thing make perfect sense.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's completely blind to the needs of those around him, focusing soley on his own and also feeling sorry for himself and being distracted by philosophy or w/e

he selfish if well meaning

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kawalimus posted:

This is a neat show that I'm now caught up with. Only thing is I still don't see why a guy like Chidi belongs in the group. His flaws were never from a place of self-centeredness like the others. The others its easy to see, but not him. I guess it was more important to have a character like him in the group than to have the thing make perfect sense.

What good deeds did Chidi do in life?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

What good deeds did Chidi do in life?

He mightve been mediocre but nowhere near on the level of the other three. The show has stressed that motive has a huge influence on your score(hence why Tahani is there despite her charity work), so how could he possibly be on the same level as the other three? If he's selfish then literally anyone whos ever felt nice about doing something good should go to hell.

We also don't know every detail of his life yet so they could explore this more in the future. But as of now I'm not convinced he belongs in "The Bad Place".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's selfish b/c everyone in his life was made miserable by being around him, though, not because of feeling nice about doing good deeds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
maybe no one belongs in the bad place, and prison reform is a core theme of the show?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kawalimus posted:

He mightve been mediocre but nowhere near on the level of the other three. The show has stressed that motive has a huge influence on your score(hence why Tahani is there despite her charity work), so how could he possibly be on the same level as the other three? If he's selfish then literally anyone whos ever felt nice about doing something good should go to hell.

We also don't know every detail of his life yet so they could explore this more in the future. But as of now I'm not convinced he belongs in "The Bad Place".

Well, if we’re to accept what Michael says in the pilot (and his comments about Victor Hugo in S2 indicate that we should imo) then literally only the best of the best make it in. Hell, even Florence Nightingale didn’t make the cut!

In order to get in to the good place you need to do a lot of good things for selfless reasons. Tahani did a lot of good, but for selfish reasons. Chidi had the good intentions but he second guessed himself so much that he never followed through and from what we understand his actions generally had a negative impact in those around him as a result, which would have lowered his score.

Id say neither Chidi nor Tahani deserve the bad place, but they weren’t good enough for the good place so that’s where they end up. Eleanor is Eleanor and Jason was not really a great dude either, but you could argue that they don’t really merit the bad place either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DoctorWhat posted:

maybe no one belongs in the bad place, and prison reform is a core theme of the show?

Probably? As it stands the good place is ridiculously exclusive so either the rules get revised or some sort of a purgatorial system gets created. Or those are just one off jokes and don’t think too hard about them. I think I could live with either.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Well, if we’re to accept what Michael says in the pilot (and his comments about Victor Hugo in S2 indicate that we should imo) then literally only the best of the best make it in. Hell, even Florence Nightingale didn’t make the cut!

In order to get in to the good place you need to do a lot of good things for selfless reasons. Tahani did a lot of good, but for selfish reasons. Chidi had the good intentions but he second guessed himself so much that he never followed through and from what we understand his actions generally had a negative impact in those around him as a result, which would have lowered his score.

Id say neither Chidi nor Tahani deserve the bad place, but they weren’t good enough for the good place so that’s where they end up. Eleanor is Eleanor and Jason was not really a great dude either, but you could argue that they don’t really merit the bad place either.

Yeah I agree with most of that. Although we don't know if Michael's statement about FN was true. But yeah they are exploring that idea that there shouldnt be a good or bad place so I should be more patient with stuff like his not belonging.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Think of it by the rules of the show rather than our world's idea of good and bad, maybe. It seems like, in order to get into The Good Place, you can't just live life being a p decent human being, if only because so many little things add up as a negative in your score. You need to actively be doing good for the people around you or world at large and doing it alruisitically. The Good Place is for the best of the best. Chidi's a nice dude, but he isn't the best of the best, and in fact is so self concerned with his own indecisions that it negatively effects the people he loves.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah I agree with most of that. Although we don't know if Michael's statement about FN was true. But yeah they are exploring that idea that there shouldnt be a good or bad place so I should be more patient with stuff like his not belonging.

I think we can accept that statement for two reasons:

1. Michael admits that the best lies are seasoned with truth, so I think it’s probably safe to say that anything that we haven’t been given a reason to doubt for a reason beyond the deception in a general sense is probably true until otherwise noted.

2. When he talks about Victor Hugo and les miserables after the game it up, it largely seems to gel with what he originally presented.

I have a feeling that by the time we get to the judge we’ll have a better idea. Plus if they’re sneaking into the real bad place we might even get to see some of these people and know for sure.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Remember, Mindy was a lovely person but she saved a lot of lives. So that merited at least being in the medium place.

It seems as if 'selflessness' isn't the only thing that matters. There's definitely a scorecard. And it probably includes not taking your socks off on an airplane.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I agree that the Good Place threshold can't be as rough as they make it out to be, but there's no reason Michael couldn't have told them the truth about that once he joined their side.

Maybe the Good Place makes the Bad Place think that's the rules, or at least obscures the public ratio so that the Bad Place people can feel "better" about torturing people. I can buy that Chidi just missed the Good Place cutoff.

I'd expect there's something that we don't know about the world, or at least a layer that even Michael doesn't know.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Maybe the Good Place makes the Bad Place think that's the rules, or at least obscures the public ratio so that the Bad Place people can feel "better" about torturing people. I can buy that Chidi just missed the Good Place cutoff.

I'd expect there's something that we don't know about the world, or at least a layer that even Michael doesn't know.

the show has already done this IMO with the reveal of the medium place, so i wouldn't rule out that we will learn more bits about the afterlife system

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't say anything about how the Bible should be interpreted or anything about my personal beliefs

claiming that a passage in a biblical text says X is interpretation. you said a certain passage must be interpreted a certain way, so not only are you interpreting that passage, you are saying how that passage must be interpreted. so your claim here is incorrect

i'm also going to stop responding to your garbage. this is because you have responded to being told three times that you are wrong, by repeating the same incorrect and frankly stupid assertions about the issues in question. everything you have posted would be laughed out of a conversation with any mainstream religious scholar who studies Christianity, and nothing you have said has contributed anything meaningful to the discussion of how this show approaches the metaphysics of the afterlife. your gimmick sucks, go home

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 19, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CountFosco posted:

Does taunting bad place administrators seem in character to you for people who run the good place? Does that seem like the sort of thing they would get any pleasure from?

Possibly really lame comebacks that the Good Place people think are funny? IDK STOP USING YOUR LOGIC AT ME

Or they just roll with it like Michael did when Trevor came, when we thought they were in the Good Place.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean - FOREVER

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

ELANOR CAN loving SWEAR AGAIN!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jason is on fire tonight, like a Molotov cocktail.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DAX

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dax!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nooooooooooooo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe how good Tahani is at this

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Oh god Bad Place Special Ops, I hope they get clowned spectacularly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Oh god Bad Place Special Ops, I hope they get clowned spectacularly.

Derek gon Derek 'em right up the Derek

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Just want to point out that "Ultimate Frisbee" has to be called "Ultimate" in marketing materials for legal reasons. Wham-O has the word "Frisbee" trademarked. :eng101:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HEY LANCE

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

JOOOOOOOOOOOOORTLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JORTLES!