Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
At my old job. There was someone who was 50+ still doing Tier 1. Coasting.
During my 1 and a half years there. He would be the source of a lot of agony for my colleagues. As he never took the morning shift. (busiest time for tier 1).
Started at 10AM. Pawned off as much work as possible on anyone.

During my last few days. We got the chance to talk. And he let me know, how he managed to get away with all that.
He was untouchable. The previous CEO of the company had given him an ironclad contract.

The absolute amazing part of it all. He made the most money. He got paid more than the senior guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sefal posted:

At my old job. There was someone who was 50+ still doing Tier 1. Coasting.
During my 1 and a half years there. He would be the source of a lot of agony for my colleagues. As he never took the morning shift. (busiest time for tier 1).
Started at 10AM. Pawned off as much work as possible on anyone.

During my last few days. We got the chance to talk. And he let me know, how he managed to get away with all that.
He was untouchable. The previous CEO of the company had given him an ironclad contract.

The absolute amazing part of it all. He made the most money. He got paid more than the senior guys.

He had the CEO banging hookers while blowing lines out of their asses or something, that's why this poo poo happens, at least that's what I like to believe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Basically every tech company is looking for infosec people. Not all of them do relocation though.

What kinda companies are you looking for? LinkedIn is a great way to look for jobs. If you like to do consultancy I could PM you a few of the more reputable once.

Otherwise the bigger tech / consulting companies and financial institutions pay pretty well. While punkbob seems to have a point about base salary being much lower for similar jobs, you should look into CoL and benefits. DevOps / SRE are indeed around 45-65k with some outliers to 75k. That’s 2-3x average income though and allows you live perfectly fine (very well actually). Also, you get a tax deduction as a foreigner which basically increases that salary by 30-40% if I understood my coworkers correctly.

I appreciate all that. My current industry is aerospace/defense and I work primarily in infosec and Microsoft environment architecture. I'm more keen on fulltime over consulting, especially if I were to relocate. Jeoh and I are chatting but I'd love to get any other leads from you!

jaegerx posted:

It can finally happen clam down. I'll marry you so you can get EU citizenship and I'll get canadian citizenship.

i'm the man

No one is more bottom than you, bby

Jeoh posted:

sorry but if anyone irl finds out i played cybernations i would kill myself

Same but SA

e:fb

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Being 50 and doing tier 1 support sounds better than being a wallmart greater.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

jaegerx posted:

Being 50 and doing tier 1 support sounds better than being a wallmart greater.

This is a fair point. I’m not really complaining.
Also, our internet issues now appear to be ISP related, but still no resolution. Or email to tell the users what’s going on, so guess who gets to keep fielding the same questions and listening to complaints about how they can’t work? Yep, it would be the FNG contractor, which is me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

Yeah, some people only care about their career enough that they can take home a pay check and go fishing on Saturday.

Um. Well, I care a *little* more about it than that, but not fishing. My cars and projects related, maybe.
I want to do a good job, and advance if I can, but I don’t focus well. I’m a jack of all trades, which can be useful, but it crap for paychecks. I really sort of just fell into IT back in the ‘90s, because I liked computers and stuff. Amazingly, I still do, but I’m not nearly as high tech at home as you might expect an IT guy to be. Cobbler’s shoes and all that.
I do welcome something that would get me away from end users a bit, though, because people are idiots, you see. Not just users, of course, but them especially.
I may not be the perfect fit for a customer service or customer facing job (yet, here I am, for the last 25 years, more or less...)

I may just be grumpy old guy today.

Edit: I know the comment wasn’t targeted at me. It just hit close by chance.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I do not have a bunch of fancy poo poo at home either, fancy new expensive poo poo breaks often, no thanks.

I have 2 computers, a few TVs, a roomba and an amazon echo; I still buy paper books because I don't absorb things well when reading a screen. The only reason I have the roomba is my fiancée is alergic to dogs (she loves them though) and we got a dog, it saves me from having to vacuum 2-3 times a week, although I am rather mediocre on the purchase because the thing is loving stupid and gets stuck all the time or just doesn't clean rooms well and I have to block them off so it stays in 1 room at a time, poo poo like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’m all kinds of trailing edge. That, and IoT can just gently caress right off. I have a Nest, because it was free with my electric service, but I very rarely look at its website, and I definitely don’t need my refrigerator surfing the net.
I keep thinking about a connected garage door opener or interface, though, just so I can check and close the door remotely. More remotely than, you know, the remote.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My tech at home consists of two laptops, a Roku, 1 tv that is 10 years old now, an echo, a couple iPads and a lovely netgear router that doesn’t cover my entire apartment due to interference.

I used to do a lot more when I was younger, but these days I have a test environment at work, and do any other “homelabbing” on cloud services.

gently caress owning and maintaining personal networks in tyol 2018.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The fanciest thing I have at home is uhhhh, my desktop I guess? I live in an apartment that's one big room with 3 bedrooms, so there's no use case for a Google Home or Alexa, really. I want a Nest or some other kind of smart thermostat though, just because trying to program an old-fashioned one is like setting the time on a loving VCR.

My old roomie had a full Phillips Hue system installed when I first moved in which was kind of fun, but not at all worth the money.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have hue, logitech hub, and a few star switches and its super nice to yell goodnight at alexa and all my poo poo shuts off and the white noise/humidifier turn on.

It took about an hour or two to get everything set up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Stuff like that sounds cool, but I just don’t have the energy these days.

And I’m sure my toddler would destroy it somehow anyway.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raise achieved! Whee! I suppose I can put off job hunting for a little while now.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
^ YAY!

I have 3 PCs which I use as lab boxes which were finished being built approximately 7 seconds before "just stand up a free instance in AWS" became the best plan, so, cool for me I guess? 160GB of RAM running Kodi and browsing forums, I suppose.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 18, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I have a smart outlet a lamp is plugged in to that's hooked in to Apple's Homekit. I have an iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV 4K I can use to control it, and have it programmed to automatically turn on just before my alarm goes off, and if I get home after sundown. I'd like to get a full hue lamp for my bedroom to program light intensities. I don't think any of the other home automation stuff really appeals to me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

my phone is also a note3 and you will pry it from my cold dead hands.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I have hue, logitech hub, and a few star switches and its super nice to yell goodnight at alexa and all my poo poo shuts off and the white noise/humidifier turn on.

It took about an hour or two to get everything set up.

Oop, forgot about my Logitech hub, I love that thing, because gently caress multidevice IR remotes. Logitech's IR remotes are great and all, but standing there point the thing at the equipment while waiting for it all to turn on blows goats. My setup is simpler than it used to be, but having one-button activities is the bomb. I don't have the Alexa stuff for it, but just the included basic remote, and the smartphone app are easy. I just use it for AV stuff.
I also have a Ubiquiti AP-lite, because I got tired of the garbage that U-verse saddled me with. Not on U-verse any more, and having the Ubiquiti made changing over painless for WiFi devices, since it didn't change.
I have an old Intel Mac Mini connected to a drive array as a file server. Does that make me 7334? I'm running Universal Media Server on it to feed DLNA media to my XBone... Eventually I want to play with Plex, but, meh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah I have an unraid NAS that been hands off since I got my dockers all working correctly. And 5 friends leeching my Linux iso collection off plex.

Took about 6 hours total to get working right but goddamn it's worth it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've gone all-in on a Hue system, and it's absolutely one of the best investments I've ever made. I've got an older house with switches in dumb places, and not a whole lot of over-head mounts, so I've got a lot of lamps and things like that. Having low-power LED lights scheduled to come on at the right times is amazing. I can control everything with Siri now, too. Basically the only time I touch a light switch is when I go to the bathroom. I'm thinking about picking up another motion sensor so I don't even have to do that.

10/10, will Hue again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've gone all-in on a Hue system, and it's absolutely one of the best investments I've ever made. I've got an older house with switches in dumb places, and not a whole lot of over-head mounts, so I've got a lot of lamps and things like that. Having low-power LED lights scheduled to come on at the right times is amazing. I can control everything with Siri now, too. Basically the only time I touch a light switch is when I go to the bathroom. I'm thinking about picking up another motion sensor so I don't even have to do that.

10/10, will Hue again.

yeah the lights are nice, but expensive as heck, I would not want a motion sensor in the bathroom, sometimes in the middle of the night I get up to piss/poo poo, I just plop my rear end on the toilet and sit in the dark.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074C8HCF7/ref=twister_B075F3S7YV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You're welcome, thread.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Help Desk is my retirement plan. Gonna take a cushy job replacing broken keyboards and shooting the poo poo with end users all day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not WiFi enabled, total garbage.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah I have an unraid NAS that been hands off since I got my dockers all working correctly. And 5 friends leeching my Linux iso collection off plex.

Took about 6 hours total to get working right but goddamn it's worth it.

Docker containers. Docker is not to be pluralized. If you have dockers then you have pants.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I can't yell at them to turn on/off way too loudly so all 3 of my echo devices hear it and get confused, 1/10 would not buy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’ve got 4 intel NUCs in a VMware cluster and a Juniper SRX gateway for a home lab. Work paid for it but I still hate maintaining it and would like to get rid of it, unfortunately it occasionally comes in handy for testing something before a customer deployment. One host is down right now with a bad M.2 SSD and I haven’t bother to fix it for a few weeks because I just can’t bring myself to care. I hate doing IT poo poo at home for personal use. Just give me simple and works, thanks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MF_James posted:

yeah the lights are nice, but expensive as heck, I would not want a motion sensor in the bathroom, sometimes in the middle of the night I get up to piss/poo poo, I just plop my rear end on the toilet and sit in the dark.

You can't program it with a phrase "I'm taking a poo poo" and act accordingly?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jaegerx posted:

Docker containers. Docker is not to be pluralized. If you have dockers then you have pants.

I have a pile of pants on top of my server. They download and serve plex you pedant.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I have a pile of pants on top of my server. They download and serve plex you pedant.

Ah IoT pants. Nice

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

You can't program it with a phrase "I'm taking a poo poo" and act accordingly?

You can!

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Maybe 3 more months before I start sending out my resume (moving soon) and I'm burning out from work hard. I want to go home and study and gently caress around w/ my home lab, but my life is constant tickets and I can't get anything done because everyone only requests my help. I wanted to finish my last MCSA tests for server 2012r2 and 365 before I moved but I mostly realize nothing matters.

Maybe the next few months will go by faster if I drink heavily.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Captain Ironblood posted:

Maybe 3 more months before I start sending out my resume (moving soon) and I'm burning out from work hard. I want to go home and study and gently caress around w/ my home lab, but my life is constant tickets and I can't get anything done because everyone only requests my help. I wanted to finish my last MCSA tests for server 2012r2 and 365 before I moved but I mostly realize nothing matters.

Maybe the next few months will go by faster if I drink heavily.

Drink till you blackout. Then it’s time traveling.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jeoh posted:

You can!

What a time to be alive.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Open Emails
See this:

quote:

We cannot keep using SQL2005 servers forever.
* Cackles Evily *

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
To paraphrase our generation's greatest philosopher, Chris Rock...

"Shiiiiiit, there's a reason to do everything, just don't do it."

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They're not posting in this thread, but some people really just don't care. Desktop at 51? Sure, whatever, just mentally check out, coast through life, and eventually I get to die.

If you're in this thread, you're at least considering advancing your career, but honestly, some people aren't even considering it.
Some people just don't know how to move up. They were never properly mentored to know how to advance their career. My opinion is that your career is your responsibility. You need people to help you get where you want to be, but you need to be setting goals. I have a guy who is talented, but never moved off of the helpdesk. I coached him into wanting to become a supervisor, and now he is working hard toward that goal. It wasn't that he was lazy, he simply never had anyone who took the time to understand his goals (work 8:00am to 5:00pm, enjoy ample PTO to raise children) and how to best utilize his talents (linear problem solving, natural and raw leadership) to benefit both him and the organization. Now that he has a direction, the hard work is on him (develop soft skills, learn to better respond rather than react, coach rather than criticize, etc..).

I loving hate seeing managers who don't help their employees develop. It's not my job to develop them, but it is my job to help them develop themselves.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Jeoh posted:

sorry but if anyone irl finds out i played cybernations i would kill myself

busted!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Open Emails
See this:

* Cackles Evily *

sim_city_guy.png

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Proteus Jones posted:

Well it would have been an internal move/promotion, but it was a little north of 100K€. I know that's not the high end for the region, but even the typical Sr salary is closer to what I was offered than to what Punkbob was claiming.

I seem to remember when I was looking into it (again this is over 8 years ago), that to keep a NL Visa you had to demonstrate fluency in Dutch after 12 months residency or lose your Visa. Either I read it wrong, or it's changed?

You’re right about salaries will be closer to 100k than to 50k.

As for fluency in Dutch, I think that’s only for obtaining citizenship, but I’m not sure. Or it might be waived if you have a work visa or something. My current client has roughly hundreds of non native employees and the vast majority are here for a few years and most of them don’t speak Dutch.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I appreciate all that. My current industry is aerospace/defense and I work primarily in infosec and Microsoft environment architecture. I'm more keen on fulltime over consulting, especially if I were to relocate. Jeoh and I are chatting but I'd love to get any other leads from you!

Ah good to hear someone is already helping you out. I’m just getting my feet wet in InfoSec and have more of a DevOps background.

All jobs I’ve found in the last 10 years came via LinkedIn. Indeed/Monsterboard are options as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have only had 2 jobs. And this one came via linkedin. The other one came via an intership.