Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

spectralent posted:

Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

Morale wins battles, it's by far the most important stat in the early game when you don't have many modifiers to stack. Since the various modifiers all stack multiplicatively, as the game goes on it becomes more important to have some of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

spectralent posted:

Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

Morale: Pretty much all that matters early game, still very important late game. It's pretty much "How long you can fight," and beating enemies by outlasting them definitely works. Probably the easiest to raise of all of these.

Discipline: How hard you hit. Starts getting better later in the game, especially if you can stack a ton of it. It's a lot of the reason Prussia punches so far above their weight. Focus on this if you want to turn your armies into blenders. Also increases tactics slightly, but usually not significantly.

Leader Fire/Shock: Makes your generals do more in the fire or shock phase of combat. Fire phase is useless early game, but gets critically important late game. Cavalry use shock, Cannons use fire, infantry depend on when in the game you are. Also worth noting that, as DDRJake is fond of saying, the fire phase comes first.

Leader Maneuver/Siege: Maneuver on generals makes them move a little faster and take less attrition. If you have more than your opponent's general, it also negates crossing penalties. Siege makes sieges go faster.

X Combat ability: Makes infantry/cavalry/artillery fight better. Not much else to it than that. If you have more cavalry combat ability, use more horses. If you have a bunch of artillery combat ability, run more cannons. This is especially good late game, when cannon is king. Infantry combat ability will make you fight better, but probably won't affect how you play much.

Tactics: Absolutely Critical. Gained almost entirely through mil tech levels. If one side has a tactics mil tech over the other, the numbers barely matter, it's going to be a slaughter.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

spectralent posted:

As always see http://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Land_warfare for the details but here's my summary of the most important modifiers.

Leader shock and other leader bonuses are only for leaders you recruit (after you get the bonus). They give extra pips to leaders. This is very important because each round of combat (both shock and fire rounds), each side rolls a d10 modified by the number of pips in shock/fire their general has. Without adequate leaders you face a lot more damage and do a lot less damage. Early on, shock is rather more important than fire, and this reverses with more advanced miltech.

Discipline and military tactics affect how much damage you can do and how much damage you can take. I think tactics is only gained through tech, while there's a variety of ways to get discipline. Just having 105% discipline isn't a dramatic change but having 120% sure is. This is mainly important for countries like Prussia that can stack a ton of discipline.

Morale is critical to winning because the side that runs out of morale loses, with the possibility of a stackwipe if they lose very quickly. Increasing morale and morale recovery is especially useful for winning battles in the early game.

Unit combat ability (from Quality ideas and other sources) affects the damage done by only that type of unit. Late game you will have a lot of artillery so artillery combat ability becomes dramatically more useful as budgets allow for lots of guns. I don't know that you can generally stack these bonuses as much as with discipline.

There are plenty more, like cavalry ratio and combat width, but these seem to be the most important ones. For large pitched battles it also seems wise to gradually feed more units into the battle as your initial combatants wear out. Remember that every unit in a battle takes morale damage every day, even if it is not actively fighting due to limited combat width. Terrain is also a big determiner of battle outcomes in cases where the armies are fairly evenly matched, so make sure to fight only on your terms! (The AI, alas, has gotten a lot better at this too.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spectralent posted:

Think of morale as an army’s HP. You lose a battle when your army’s morale reaches 0 and win it when the enemy’s morale reaches 0. If this happens fast enough, the entire army might be destroyed (this is what people mean when they talk about a stackwipe). More morale means you can stay in a battle longer.

Think of discipline as an attack and defense percentage multiplier. It increases the number of casualties you cause and reduces the number of casualties you receive by the percentage value of your discipline. It also does the same with the effect of any attack on your or the enemy’s morale. More discipline means battles will hurt you less and your enemies more.

+leader shock/fire/maneuver/siege are flat bonuses to the stats of any general you roll while the bonus is active. They do not improve armies without generals in any way, but ideally you always want a general on every army so these bonuses can be very good. Fire-heavy generals are not much use at game start because early game units do negligible fire damage, but they become very good as the game goes on. All the others are good throughout.

Combat ability works sort of like discipline, but unlike discipline which always affects your entire army, there are separate combat ability bonuses for infantry, cavalry and artillery. As far as I recall it only affects the damage you do, unlike discipline which also affects the damage you receive. It’s still good thing to have but morale and discipline are the two to prioritize.

I recommend taking a look at the wiki pages for “Land warfare” and “army” any time the game uses a term you don’t precisely understand. There’s a LOT going on in EU4 combat and I don’t pretend to perfectly understand all of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To emphasise, tactics is by far the most powerful military modifier in the game. The issue here is that tactics is generally only gained from techs that everyone has access to. This isn't the kind of thing you can prioritize and stack like other modifiers. But if you have just one tactics tech over your opponent, losing battles suddenly turn into massacres in your favor. Especially in the early game. If you're looking for a way to gain a stats-based advantage over your enemy, then maybe consider waiting to declare war on them until you have a tactics advantage. Try to make use of these tactics advantages when you have them, because they are only temporary.

Otherwise, in the early game, you want to prioritize morale, and in the late game, you want to prioritize discipline (while still paying attention to morale). Shock/Fire damage modifiers as well as combat ability modifiers all help, but they aren't as crucial. Leader Shock/Fire are pretty big, though. Having better generals than your opponent can be a huge factor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I haven't played since Mandate of Heaven, how's the game looking now?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Could someone explain to me a bit more why it's a bad idea to unify Japan and annex all Daimyos?

I ask because I'm about 200 years deep into my Japan playthrough now, and all in all, with Ming finally allianced and royal marriaged with me, and me having a colony on Hawaii, things are looming pretty sweet, but I want to know how sweeter things could have been.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Could someone explain to me a bit more why it's a bad idea to unify Japan and annex all Daimyos?

I ask because I'm about 200 years deep into my Japan playthrough now, and all in all, with Ming finally allianced and royal marriaged with me, and me having a colony on Hawaii, things are looming pretty sweet, but I want to know how sweeter things could have been.

Daimyos are neat because you can rule as many of them as you like to get an insufferable storm of vassals to win every war for you, steal their generals for yourself, and if they declare war on each other you can kill their monarchs for power.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to make them stop warring on each other, with a white peace or something, so you don't just end up with one large after they have finished gobbling everyone else up?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Poil posted:

Is it possible to make them stop warring on each other, with a white peace or something, so you don't just end up with one large after they have finished gobbling everyone else up?

You just have to be quick and take them all out. I assume you can spit out the vassals after you "unite" enough of them to take over the Shogunate. I haven't played much since before all the changes to the Shogunate and Japan as a whole though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Poil posted:

Force Seppuku on them every time they declare war on another daimyo (and make liberal use of automated diplomats to keep opinion up so the liberty desire hit isn't actually a problem). Occasionally make them give you a province with a core from an annexed daimyo and release it as a new vassal.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did you always get this option, or is this a fairly recent feature? I've been in succession wars before but never had the option to back down. Also France is my rival and we have been at war several times recently, so I have no idea how my Denmark can be claiming the throne but whatever!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Looks to me like Spain is claiming it, you're getting the option to back down because you're the one who has the option to contest the claim and cancel the PU. The nation getting the PU doesn't get an option.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
A Mann's Home is His Castle: As Mann, control 10+ provinces and have a fortress in each.

Clothes Maketh the Mann: Be the world's leading producer of cloth as Mann.

Not the Mann I Used to Be: As Mann, switch to any other nation.

I am no Mann!: As Mann, have a female ruler.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Mannco Capac: As Mann, have a Colonial Nation in the Peru region.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Supermann: As Mann, complete 4 Military idea groups

Batmann: As Mann, have your ruler die while leading troops in a war which you end up winning

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Kaza42 posted:

Supermann: As Mann, complete 4 Military idea groups

Batmann: As Mann, have your ruler die while leading troops in a war which you end up winning

Batmann V Supermann: As Mann, subsidize a country of at least 50% your dev with at least 75% of your income during a war they wind up losing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mann in the High Castle: as Mann, control the modern day USA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the three manntains
big blue mann
mann of the mannput mann
mannset invasion
the great mann

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

mannspreading - conquer the world

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Did anyone already do

Rights of Mann - have a constitutional government type as Mann

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Mannsplaining: spawn the Enlightenment on the Isle of Mann

e: beaten

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Manners Maketh Mann - insult ten countries while having a ruler with the Bumbling Buffoon trait.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm playing a Timore game at the moment colonising Australia, and I ran into a couple of odd things. Firstly, when I colonise a province in New Guinea, the province keeps the Papuan culture, but when I colonise on Australia my colonies get the Moluccan culture instead. Not sure why that's happening? Secondly, if you start in Timore and colonise Australia, all your Australian provinces still count as a colony even though they share a sea zone and are right next to each other. New Guinea also seems to exist in a weird inbetween-zone, where if your capital is in the Moluccas it counts as part of the Moluccas rather than an Australian colonial region, but if your capital is in Australia, it counts as part of the Australia region and not a Moluccan colony. I don't know a ton about Australian geography, but I also feel like it could use a few more provinces, and maybe a long thin strip of very lovely coastline so I can march my soldiers around the entire island rather than having to sail them from Top End to the big chunk of territories in the east? But maybe that is just what Australia is like in real life.

Also, I wanted to know how I can speed up getting institutions? If I colonise Taiwan, or a province in America next to a European colony, can I pick up institutions through the colony? Or does it have to be part of my non-colonial territory?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Iron Mann- own all iron provinces as Mann

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The culture thing is because Australia is a colonial region but PNG is a trade company region. Colonial regions take the colonizer’s culture so the Thirteen Colonies doesn’t wind up being composed of Indians, basically.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Paradox, fix this poo poo with only having one heir as a habsburg and the HRE going to poo poo every time my only one dumb fuckin kid dies, thanks

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did you always get this option, or is this a fairly recent feature? I've been in succession wars before but never had the option to back down. Also France is my rival and we have been at war several times recently, so I have no idea how my Denmark can be claiming the throne but whatever!

If a country gets to enforce a PU and there are no other countries that have the same ruling dynasty, then the game defaults to offering their strongest rival to contest that PU. You must be the strongest Rival available to contest the succession.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Keep the Mann jokes coming guys, I'm sure one of them will be funny eventually.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Come on and jam, and welcome to the Mann?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Do you get more AE when taking provinces from a defensive ally in the war than if that country was the target? I know it costs more warscore to take stuff but does the AE change as well?

how valuable are slave and incense provinces these days?

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 19, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, if you insist.

You're The Mann Now, Dog - As Mann, lose control of the Isle of Mann

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

mine was good you vandal.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

really queer Christmas posted:

Iron Mann- own all iron provinces as Mann

This is a good one.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Has Mann Gone Insane: As Mann, be in a constant state of war for 30 years (can be different wars)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if mann is still alive - reach the year 2525

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

Do you get more AE when taking provinces from a defensive ally in the war than if that country was the target? I know it costs more warscore to take stuff but does the AE change as well?

how valuable are slave and incense provinces these days?

Yes, unless you declare the ally to be a co-belligerent.

Trade good prices can be found here: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Trade_goods

Or you can just look them up in-game in the ledger.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

That's just like, your opinion, man - at least 10 countries have outraged opinion of Mann.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, unless you declare the ally to be a co-belligerent.

Trade good prices can be found here: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Trade_goods

Or you can just look them up in-game in the ledger.

that does help thx

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2018

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Sorry Mann - Start a multi-page achievement name derail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
They're actually all funny