Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ugato posted:

It takes a lot of effort and eye rolling to not tell people this when they tell me something about privacy or confidentiality.

“I’m a domain admin. Even if you try to lock me out I can get around it.”

The flip side of that is that I just get sent all sorts of confidential information because I’m in IT. I’ve lost count of how many identities I could have stolen just from emails sent to me containing tax returns or background check forms or something.

I get notified to make a new user account with a hiring form on my desk. It's the form a person fills out when they are hired it's because I requested names be spelled out so they are correct before this it was done verbally and it was common for people to request name changes, or just deal with it. Anyway this form includes this SSN, so it'd be really easy to steal this. I do know my predecessor never got mine. He did the verbal thing and often mangled names. One user has been here for 10 years and their login is different for 3 different systems and none are spelled correctly. They refused when I offered to fix it up for them. They're just used to it.

If I'm not at my desk it stays there. I once went on vacation and they forgot to shut the door after they put it on my desk. My door was open for anyone to look at a resume with SSN visible from the door. My office door is one of the first ones and we have no secretary, food deliveries often wind up looking for someone in the building and end up finding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

We also lost overhead paging, but there are products out there to fix that. Looking right now at a Cyberdata SIP paging adapter. It is basically a box that acts as a standard SIP phone, but it auto answers any call to it and presents the audio as a plain analog output to feed into an existing paging amp. So staff will be able to page by just calling the paging adapter extension.
Those things are pretty expensive for what they are. We've always just paired whatever ATA we're normally using at the time (currently Cisco SPA112) with a Viking RAD-1A.

quote:

We where able to emulate the key system behavior a bit, as the Grandstream UCM lets you setup the parking lots as BLF keys on the phones, so you can look at the phone display and see if any call is sitting in a parking lot slot.
This is definitely the best way to handle the people who love their "lines" in a modern system. They still get a place they can put a call on hold and pick it up from somewhere else without having to go full retard with shared line appearances.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aunt Beth posted:

Honest to God, how is McAfee still in business? :argh:

Same way as AOL's dialup division: a few million confused grandparents keep paying the monthly/yearly bills because they don't know better. And most of them probably don't even use the product in question anymore but the companies involved have no reason to tell them they don't need to pay for those things.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chin up everything sucks posted:

Anything that looks to be is obviously just a pile of trash that pretends to do something.

He said SAP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like how Microsoft has gone out of its way to make Windows 10 pro harder to automate with MDT. I these windows 10 pro machines are licensed through DELL or whoever makes them, they have purposely made it so you are required to interact with the install during the middle of the process. Its its not volume licensed, its not going to work. What a complete waste of time and resources to make a dumb decision.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

I used to have to fill in a timesheet for a giant corporation and I had to mark myself as having worked a few weekends. This timesheet had a text box for each day, and you marked "1" to say you'd worked 1 day that day. (no you couldn't say 0.5, if you wanted to mark a half day you'd put a 1 in the "half days" row and a 0 in the "days" row)

No problem, right? Surely someone has worked a weekend before via this system used by thousands?

Well you can't record weekends. The boxes are there, but marked as 0 and greyed out. I spoke to them and they said filling in the weekends isn't supported. The official way of reporting a weekend is to say you worked 2 days on Monday and 2 days on Friday.

So I fill it in and it goes red, yelling at me that I'm an idiot because you can't work 2 days in a day. (why are these not checkboxes?)

Well it turns out the validation is client-side only, so you can submit it anyway and hope your client contact is in the loop enough to approve the abomination they get emailed.

Edit: oh and I had to keep an old copy of Firefox around because it was that or IE7.

I feel like a timecard program that doesn't support weekends is like an accounting program that doesn't support cents. "Just put it in as a fraction of a dollar, but if you don't use lowest terms, you'll get an error message."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I get notified to make a new user account with a hiring form on my desk. It's the form a person fills out when they are hired it's because I requested names be spelled out so they are correct before this it was done verbally and it was common for people to request name changes, or just deal with it. Anyway this form includes this SSN, so it'd be really easy to steal this. I do know my predecessor never got mine. He did the verbal thing and often mangled names. One user has been here for 10 years and their login is different for 3 different systems and none are spelled correctly. They refused when I offered to fix it up for them. They're just used to it.

If I'm not at my desk it stays there. I once went on vacation and they forgot to shut the door after they put it on my desk. My door was open for anyone to look at a resume with SSN visible from the door. My office door is one of the first ones and we have no secretary, food deliveries often wind up looking for someone in the building and end up finding me.
What percentage of the time does the name end up spelled wrong on the form? It seems like that would be fairly significant part of HR's job (not "significant" in terms of labor, but significant in terms of "make sure it's right") but they get it wrong all the goddamn time. And frequently we'll find out someone hates the form their name takes in our system ("Michael" instead of "Mike," or "Smith-Jones" instead of "Jones-Smith") weeks or months after they start. Like, ask what they want their name to be, then put that in the drat form, spelled correctly; it doesn't seem like it should be difficult.

One time, I got a ticket to correct a spelling, and pulled up the old ticket and thought my coworker had screwed up, because it was spelled correctly in the subject line of the ticket; nope, incorrect in the form. Somehow, we can pretty much always manage to get exactly what they put on the form on the account, but HR can't manage to get the right name on the form nearly as often as you'd hope.

Also, when you guys get a new employee with a misspelled name, do you change the account, or nuke the user and start over? I'm definitely the "the only way to be sure is to nuke it from orbit" on this one, and when someone gets married or otherwise changes their name, I pretty much always leave the user name the same (they've always been okay with it, since no one sees it). I'd swear I've run into problems about half the time I've tried to change a user name in AD, but maybe it's gotten better since the last time I tried.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
We leave the user name the same in the case of a name change if it’s not a new account, and just change it if it is new.

However we do semi-regularly get a supervisor bitching about how we should change user names for people based on the fact that after a divorce, for instance, it can cause great emotional distress to have to see that name regularly.

Not our choice, lady. Talk to Oracle, our Auditors, and the Government of Canada’s Canadian Revenue Service.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: my coworker won't shut up about cryptocurrencies for four days straight, somebody please kill me now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I truly wish the last IT guy here hadn't put kaspersky on everything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Claptain posted:

poo poo pissing me off: my coworker won't shut up about cryptocurrencies for four days straight, somebody please kill me now.
Fight back by talking to him non stop about this great MLM opportunity you've found.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Fight back by talking to him non stop about this great MLM opportunity you've found.

Have you considered becoming a flat earther, just to this guy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Turn yourself into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMwmMcZKAA

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

The Claptain posted:

this, but half the office...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

1 hour of conversation between 4 technical professionals come to a reasonable conclusion, present to the product owner, "Why don't you just.." and I pretty much immediately switch off. Don't loving "just" me, and not twice in one sentence motherfucker. Team lead can do his loving job for a change and deal with this one. I'll implement whatever they pick.

Team lead who's been in all these conversations today still wants to have a call where I tell him how to do his job again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

Those things are pretty expensive for what they are. We've always just paired whatever ATA we're normally using at the time (currently Cisco SPA112) with a Viking RAD-1A.

How do you make those work for paging purposes?

Our existing paging amp is a Bogen TPU100. It expects a 600-ohm tip/ring audio input. An ATA like that would work if it auto-answered the call and started outputting audio...

Edit: Answered my own question... I have a Bogen TAMB sitting in the closet and the Grandstream UCM has FXS ports for analog devices... hmm... I think I can make that work for paging.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 18, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanatosian posted:

What percentage of the time does the name end up spelled wrong on the form? It seems like that would be fairly significant part of HR's job (not "significant" in terms of labor, but significant in terms of "make sure it's right") but they get it wrong all the goddamn time. And frequently we'll find out someone hates the form their name takes in our system ("Michael" instead of "Mike," or "Smith-Jones" instead of "Jones-Smith") weeks or months after they start. Like, ask what they want their name to be, then put that in the drat form, spelled correctly; it doesn't seem like it should be difficult.

One time, I got a ticket to correct a spelling, and pulled up the old ticket and thought my coworker had screwed up, because it was spelled correctly in the subject line of the ticket; nope, incorrect in the form. Somehow, we can pretty much always manage to get exactly what they put on the form on the account, but HR can't manage to get the right name on the form nearly as often as you'd hope.

Also, when you guys get a new employee with a misspelled name, do you change the account, or nuke the user and start over? I'm definitely the "the only way to be sure is to nuke it from orbit" on this one, and when someone gets married or otherwise changes their name, I pretty much always leave the user name the same (they've always been okay with it, since no one sees it). I'd swear I've run into problems about half the time I've tried to change a user name in AD, but maybe it's gotten better since the last time I tried.

The one I get is the original that the employee filled out when accepting the job. I then give it back to HR for filing along with the temp passwords and the username. I'm not sure what the process is if someone steals it from my desk because they left it there. I'm not sure another copy exists.

There's a line for "nickname or preferred name if different from legal" user accounts are based on that. I still get people filling out the included username change request form because they don't like to be called Bill, or they put Dick in the nickname field and don't actually want to be called Dick but most people fill it out correctly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
All I want is client PCs to upgrade all the way from 1507 to 1703 through WSUS. Every step is a pain in the rear end. I am now setting up a new Server 2016 WSUS to try and get rid off the issues, but apparently ANY combination of GPOs can just permanently gently caress you over.

Also, my personal computer is on 1709 and no matter what I set the GPOs to I am unable to search for or install updates on it anymore...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Our existing paging amp is a Bogen TPU100. It expects a 600-ohm tip/ring audio input. An ATA like that would work if it auto-answered the call and started outputting audio...

Edit: Answered my own question... I have a Bogen TAMB sitting in the closet and the Grandstream UCM has FXS ports for analog devices... hmm... I think I can make that work for paging.

The RAD-1A handles the answering and has a 600 ohm output on it. We basically leave the ATA in stock configuration aside from setting the off-hook tone to one minute so it doesn't kick on before the RAD times out.

I can confirm that the TAMB will do the job just fine as well. We don't deal with those often but a recent install already had one and it worked just the same as we're used to.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 18, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

The RAD-1A handles the answering and has a 600 ohm output on it. We basically leave the ATA in stock configuration aside from setting the off-hook tone to one minute so it doesn't kick on before the RAD times out.

Yeah the Bogen doesn't answer the call.. It does VOX detection on the audio input and activates when it hears something.

Looks like I can make the TAMB work.. It can be configured to answer a call and then pass the audio through to the amp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

I just need to mention that a Bogan is the Australian version of a Redneck, and the mental image of one being locked in a closet manually routing ports like a switchboard operator amuses me no fuckin' end, mate.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We have an organization that leases a small portion of one of our buildings. The head of the org is married to the head of my org, so they don't pay rent. There are constant arguments over who is responsible for what IT equipment.

I finally came to a defined demarc where our org is responsible for the network up to the ethernet jacks. Anything plugged in is their responsibility. I'm building out a new branch of my network to rebuild their network access. I've already conceded to managing their switch configs, VLAN and firewall access because it's our network.

Today they sent an email saying they got new IP phones but don't know how to use them. They asked when I would be on site to train them on using these phones, and that they preferred this week because they could have everybody from their org on-site.

I couldn't laugh hard enough as I told them that no, I'm absolutely not doing phone training, and that it's so far below my pay grade that I didn't know how to use their lovely phones myself. I gave them the number for an MSP to call who will charge them hourly for training and told them good luck.

And yet I'm probably going to be pulled into a meeting next week by our director asking me to help them out and stop being rude.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep, any kind of a shared service model between any organization that doesn’t have a clearly defined set of responsibilities is doomed to failure and a shitload of headaches.

The last job I managed the shared services domain for a group of 7 different companies on the same mpls and there wasn’t a week that went by that it wasn’t a complete pain in the rear end.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I couldn't laugh hard enough as I told them that no, I'm absolutely not doing phone training, and that it's so far below my pay grade that I didn't know how to use their lovely phones myself. I gave them the number for an MSP to call who will charge them hourly for training and told them good luck.

And yet I'm probably going to be pulled into a meeting next week by our director asking me to help them out and stop being rude.

This sounds a lot like you give organization #2 your hourly out of work rates
and ask if they really want you to be the one doing training. However many 0's an hour you feel like adding to make it worth your while.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: Vomiting.

I don't know why I'm vomiting. I don't feel ill in any other way, but I've been worshipping the porcelain throne since about midnight.

This double sucks because work was flying me out, all expenses paid, for our holiday gala this weekend. Was supposed to be on an airplane...20 minutes ago. I work remote and really look forward to hanging out with my coworkers on the rare chances I get to do so. It's not nerves or anything; I love flying and these trips are basically vacations. This one, literally, as my only purpose was to party. :(

I had to wake my boss up and let him know I can't make it. Worse, I was the point man for a few others who were flying in. I was renting the car and hauling the others around.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Pissing me off: Vomiting.

I don't know why I'm vomiting. I don't feel ill in any other way, but I've been worshipping the porcelain throne since about midnight.

This double sucks because work was flying me out, all expenses paid, for our holiday gala this weekend. Was supposed to be on an airplane...20 minutes ago. I work remote and really look forward to hanging out with my coworkers on the rare chances I get to do so. It's not nerves or anything; I love flying and these trips are basically vacations. This one, literally, as my only purpose was to party. :(

I had to wake my boss up and let him know I can't make it. Worse, I was the point man for a few others who were flying in. I was renting the car and hauling the others around.

Food poisoning it sounds like. :smith:

If it's salmonella like I had last year, may death come swiftly to you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sales dink comes down, with the CEO's personal laptop in hand.

"I forgot my laptop at home and CEO said I could just use hers, but she said I need to get on the VPN"

Well that's her personal laptop so it's not on the domain....

He's using webmail so no big deal there, but he's got full access to the company files since he's logged in as her account and he has full access to her browsers, saved passwords, poo poo even Outlook.

Whatever.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Claptain posted:

"Oh woe is me, my profits aren't as high as they were before!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo that's pissing me off. Old IT guy had a lovely laptop that was on the verge of dying. He never mentioned this and it died when I booted it up. Motherboard Failure. His old co-workers are acting like i've broken it.

I've explained why and they're just repeating that they don't understand. My patience is wearing very thin.

E: As luck would have it, he stopped by today because he's going out for a drink with people and confirmed to everyone that it was hosed. Well, guess that's sorted.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 19, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm actually getting pissed off at our desktop team right now, because I just had a user be really rude to me.

Our version of PeopleSoft that we use hates chrome. Just randomly tells users that they don't exist. Edge doesn't really do any better. Upgrading PeopleSoft is on the map, but not for a long time due to other projects going first. Gotta use Internet Explorer for 100% functionality. Or Safari on a Mac.

Also, we're moving everyone to Windows 10 as their machines need replacement. Internet Explorer is installed on Win 10, but hidden. I'm sure you all know that, but I'm building a narrative here, shut up.

So we give people new computers with Chrome pre-installed on them, and Edge pinned to the task bar, and then one of the main applications we use requires Internet Explorer. So people call for help, because it's not working properly, and I tell them that they have to use IE. 95% of the time they either don't know the difference between browsers or mix up Edge and IE, or don't know where IE is, but we can work with all that.

The last 5% is like the caller I just had, who vociferously claimed that IE was not installed on her machine, and then tried to end the call with a shouted "THANK YOU" in a very aggressive tone when I insisted it was installed. I just rode through that and told them they just had to search for it in the start menu, upon which they went very quiet, paused, then said they could find it and handle it from there.

So why am I pissed off at the desktop team? We use PDQ deploy and inventory. WSUS, and GPOs. I'm 100% sure that we can remotely, or during imaging that installs Chrome, remove Edge from the taskbar and replace it with IE. And I've suggested it. Multiple times. And it's ignored. I've also suggested that maybe leaving Edge as the default PDF handler be fixed during set up, as for some reason most of the pdfs instructors generate won't print from Edge. Also ignored. So I get calls from very confused people about that as well. gently caress them for refusing to change their precious little set up.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I can get behind being annoyed at system images not being up to date, or properly configured. It's annoying as balls and can waste time by fielding 50 of exactly the same calls over a month.

This coming from a guy who deploys images that are not updated and need configuration changes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So why am I pissed off at the desktop team? We use PDQ deploy and inventory. WSUS, and GPOs. I'm 100% sure that we can remotely, or during imaging that installs Chrome, remove Edge from the taskbar and replace it with IE. And I've suggested it. Multiple times. And it's ignored. I've also suggested that maybe leaving Edge as the default PDF handler be fixed during set up, as for some reason most of the pdfs instructors generate won't print from Edge. Also ignored. So I get calls from very confused people about that as well. gently caress them for refusing to change their precious little set up.

Yeah, making IE easier to find/more available is as easy as you expect. It could be done in a half-dozen different ways at any stage of the process.

You could even push a shortcut to the users desktop that runs "iexplore.exe https://shittywebapp.com"

Changing the default PDF handler however.. not as easy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

FireFox (and other browsers) want to render PDF's themselves. Cool.

They don't do it the correct way. Not cool.

"Why is the top of all my invoices cut off"

:mad:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This is where I mention that I am constantly frustrated by Mozilla not providing admx templates for Firefox.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

This is where I mention that I am constantly frustrated by Mozilla not providing admx templates for Firefox.

It's loving insane and unacceptable and if we didn't have to support it as a browser for our product I would push to remove it from every computer in the company.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

What I don't get is how Edge becomes the default handler anyway, as we install Reader in addition to Chrome during prep.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

What I don't get is how Edge becomes the default handler anyway every time a new build of 10 drops, overwriting your old settings, as we install Reader in addition to Chrome during prep.

We got a new build of 10 and 60 machines had to be updated out of 140 because they reset the default PDF handler to Edge. Why did some reset and some did not? Who knows. Nothing surprises me anymore.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
^ Yeah this. Microsoft forces Edge to default PDF reader because reasons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They know they can't force edge as web browser or the EU will flying crane kick them in the nuts, so they figured they could get their numbers up by enforcing it as a pdf viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, you're right. I do pretty much all of this for my deployments, it's all fairly simple once you know how. Getting Win10 to stop setting Edge as the default PDF viewer and browser is trickier than you'd think though; Microsoft really wants force it on people. The only way I've been able to do it is forcing a registry edit that blocks Edge from being set as the default for anything, ever.