Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You don't necessarily want to chase armies onto attrition-generating terrain or attack across a river onto a mountain, though.

Could be a cool feature for an expansion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Good news, this is a feature in Stellaris!
Back when I played, that feature was "Go after their fleet, unless you find a DASTARDLY MINING STATION drat I HATE THEM THEN BLOW IT UP!" which has apparently been fixed.

It was, admittedly, always amusing to blow up fallen empire mining stations and salvaging their super tech that way, way before you should, but yeah.

Gort posted:

You don't necessarily want to chase armies onto attrition-generating terrain or attack across a river onto a mountain, though.

Could be a cool feature for an expansion though.
I uhh, definitely feel this is one of those "just patch it in" things. Getting into EUIV, it's loving intolerable how random the placement of game mechanics is and how hodgepodge it all feels

At least CK2 doesn't have anything on that level; the only things I can think of are retinues and custom titles

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Queue a bunch of goons complaining about their army marching through switzerland and lose 40k men in the process.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think if you want that feature you would need like 5 other changes to EU4 to make it work.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Back when I played, that feature was "Go after their fleet, unless you find a DASTARDLY MINING STATION drat I HATE THEM THEN BLOW IT UP!" which has apparently been fixed.

It was, admittedly, always amusing to blow up fallen empire mining stations and salvaging their super tech that way, way before you should, but yeah.
I uhh, definitely feel this is one of those "just patch it in" things. Getting into EUIV, it's loving intolerable how random the placement of game mechanics is and how hodgepodge it all feels

At least CK2 doesn't have anything on that level; the only things I can think of are retinues and custom titles

I started playing eu4 before ck2 and felt the opposite way. I think you’re just being an old and grumpy grog

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

I started playing eu4 before ck2 and felt the opposite way. I think you’re just being an old and grumpy grog

I mean, the required DLC thing is a big issue with both EU4 and CK2. I can see it being a real annoyance for new players of either title.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I mean, the required DLC thing is a big issue with both EU4 and CK2. I can see it being a real annoyance for new players of either title.

Yeah sorry the implication was that I’m also an old and grumpy grog I just got distracted while typing.

I do think CK2 used to do DLC much better than EU4 ever has by locking regions instead of random QOL features/mechanics behind DLC. Not so much anymore though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

:lol:
(Wester is the CEO of Paradox)

Seriously, though, I'm curious when we'll see the next product announcement from the internal studio. The gap between EUIV and Stellaris was 3 years, so I'm not holding my breath.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Otoh Hoi4 and Stellaris came out at basically the same time.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

After last year's tease they loving better announce Victoria III at PDXCon '18 or I will riot.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

:lol:

Seriously, though, I'm curious when we'll see the next product announcement from the internal studio. The gap between EUIV and Stellaris was 3 years, so I'm not holding my breath.

It was supposed to be like 2? years between EU4 and HOI4 they just ran into problems. We should be due for a victorome announcement any day now

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

da beeper king BABY posted:

Otoh Hoi4 and Stellaris came out at basically the same time.

Both of these games are unplayable since their next patch looks too good.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
That's basically the default state of Paradox games tbh

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wishing for eu 5

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Affi posted:

Wishing for eu 5
Same.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Holy loving hell is it annoying that none, literally none of the Paradox games I have seem to think that "Attack this loving army" and not "Just walk where they were" is something I should be able to tell my armies to do.

i'm playing an EU4 russia game now and holy hell chasing carpet-siege stacks through siberia sucks so loving bad

i also wonder why i can't queue up province occupations. just let me, like, shift-ctrl-click them instead of shift-click and they'll stop a few days to grab control of the province before moving to the next one.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Affi posted:

Wishing for eu 5

Pretty sure they've said there will never be an EU 5, just endless expansions. They are way overdue for a "EU 4 Complete" compilation, though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not "never," just not for a while yet.

I hope there'll be an announcement for a PDS dev'd game this time at Paradoxcon, it seems like the natural time for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prav posted:

i'm playing an EU4 russia game now and holy hell chasing carpet-siege stacks through siberia sucks so loving bad

i also wonder why i can't queue up province occupations. just let me, like, shift-ctrl-click them instead of shift-click and they'll stop a few days to grab control of the province before moving to the next one.
Yeah this or orders to occupy a few states or a region then give me a popup that you're done. Having to do it all manually is what is in part what is stopping me from buying more expansions - the game has just gotten so tedious once the earlygame is over.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Missions for land troops would be cool.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lum_ posted:

Pretty sure they've said there will never be an EU 5, just endless expansions. They are way overdue for a "EU 4 Complete" compilation, though.

followed by at least two expansions that are not included in the EU4 complete package

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Yeah, it's just, that I wish that content were something I payed for while quality of life would be something that was always rolled into patches.

Totally true on it being just irritating getting used to it. Like, on the other hand, the war settlement system is a loving dream compared to CK2 and the few weird things that aren't "bar fills up" just remind me uncomfortably of CK2

Fintilgin posted:

who the gently caress is Wester

also did anyone else read the sniffs in Johans tweet?

Prav posted:

Yeah, even though I knew about split/v thing beforehand it's still really irritating

That and armies constantly running around and dodging and poo poo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

who the gently caress is Wester

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ceo wesker of paradox, a company whos logo is extremly close to a snake eating its own tale :thunk:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the surviving mars streams are very entertaining; you should watch them if you want some laughs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are you saying I should kill myself?!? (joking) Or did I get whooshed when he asked that question?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you saying I should kill myself?!? (joking) Or did I get whooshed when he asked that question?

I think he was saying he tried to head off the question but it didn't matter because someone still asked

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

I think he was saying he tried to head off the question but it didn't matter because someone still asked
Oh gently caress how did I miss that? :cripes:
It makes so much sense now that I've eaten breakfast and am actually awake.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Senor Dog posted:

This. :lol:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

followed by at least two expansions that are not included in the EU4 complete package

Wouldn't be a true Paradox Bundle™ if we made a complete package actually complete

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Make "EU4 Complete" include all the cosmetic DLC and nothing else.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

Make "EU4 Complete" include all the cosmetic DLC and nothing else.

And the eBooks.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

And the eBooks.

Only the ebooks.

EUIV COMPLETE (ebook bundle)

MaybeNever
Aug 6, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Only the ebooks.

EUIV COMPLETE (ebook bundle)

"I knew Paradox games could be sort of cerebral and slow-moving, but this game, uh, it's a lot more reading than I expected."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MaybeNever posted:

"I knew Paradox games could be sort of cerebral and slow-moving, but this game, uh, it's a lot more reading than I expected."

I would buy a good Crusader Kings choose your own adventure book/game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PerniciousKnid posted:

Try King of Dragon Pass!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PerniciousKnid posted:

So the good bits of CK2 without any of the filler? I am down. Someone tell Wester he should call Inkle.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try King of Dragon Pass!

I did and it's awesome! I wonder if they ever fixed the Android port, though.

ZearothK posted:

So the good bits of CK2 without any of the filler? I am down. Someone tell Wester he should call Inkle.

Now you're just making up names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PerniciousKnid posted:

I did and it's awesome! I wonder if they ever fixed the Android port, though.

Now you're just making up names.

And this is what Inkle does, I guess.