Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks. I ended up pussying out and playing somewhere in France because I'm pretty rusty on how everything works.

If I want to discourage a vassal from joining a faction and he is on my council (and therefore located in my capital), do I send my spymaster to build a spy network in my capital or in the vassal's home province?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

fuf posted:

Thanks. I ended up pussying out and playing somewhere in France because I'm pretty rusty on how everything works.

If I want to discourage a vassal from joining a faction and he is on my council (and therefore located in my capital), do I send my spymaster to build a spy network in my capital or in the vassal's home province?

If you just set your spymaster to scheme, you get occasional pop-ups giving you different ways to discourage your vassals from joining factions. It seems fairly random, but you can get lucky.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Crow Jane posted:

If you just set your spymaster to scheme, you get occasional pop-ups giving you different ways to discourage your vassals from joining factions. It seems fairly random, but you can get lucky.

But the Build Spy Network action has a much higher "Vassal Discouraged From Joining Factions" percentage so wouldn't that be more efficient?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought I'd take off some of the burden of my recent conquests by handing them off to my son, but for some reason I can only grant a single county to him, and after I grant that county, all I can grant him is the temple within it.

I was planning to slide him either the duchy of Courland or Prussia or both, and I can't hand him anything. Is this something to do with Tribal Government? Or maybe Gavelkind? I've got a couple baby sons I need to deal with eventually, I thought I could maybe try making a vassal merch republic for the other one when he's older. I wanted to sort out my spare lands more before I declared the Wendish Empire, but it's not happening.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 19, 2018

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's Gavelkind. Everyone knows you're trying to pass off your holdings intact and they won't stand for it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If I hand out a bunch of minor viceroyalties and then give the kingdom they're in to one of them will the major viceroy like, redistribute the minor viceroyalties as he receives them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Pants posted:

I've recommended it before, but Hasan Hashimid is the Shia ruler of Medina at that start date. The royal family of Jordan is descended from his in-game brother, but that side of the family usually dies as your courtiers without anyone noticing.

Mechanically, the duchy of Hijaz is good and in a great location for avoiding expansionist neighbors, and if you can gain direct control of most of your counties while keeping the Caliph happy and avoiding empowering the council, you can really snowball toward doing whatever you want.

The Hashimids are cool but it's also a very difficult start because the religious difference means the Abbasid Caliph will eventually try to revoke all your titles. Falsely converting is basically a requirement.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

Go further, Scourge of the Spanish! The inquisition never expects you!

Start as Alania and settle them in their rightful lands.

Hell, I might have to try this myself.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Hashimids are cool but it's also a very difficult start because the religious difference means the Abbasid Caliph will eventually try to revoke all your titles. Falsely converting is basically a requirement.

That's true. If you want to stay openly Shia, it's kind of like any other old-timey "hide inside the Abbasids" strat except a little easier because you aren't a heretic or infidel, and you usually have enough time to kiss up to him before he passes the religious revocation law. The first few years are really rough, though.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Seems weird that technology point growth is based on just ruler attributes rather than state attributes. As if my ruler is doing all the research by himself.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

fuf posted:

Seems weird that technology point growth is based on just ruler attributes rather than state attributes. As if my ruler is doing all the research by himself.

:shrug:

Seems weird as well... you can just build buildings as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I just did a William the Conqueror in the year of some lord 900.

I started at this Haesteinn guy in Nantes with the simple goal of expanding out into Brittany (or Bertangaland as it became). That was simple enough, but then I had to delve into Cornwall to get a second duchy to be able to declare myself a proper king, and in the process my first ruler died and I went to his son. As I became king, it seems like the vikings were really doing amazing in this start, and I had to get a little overeager with conquests in order to keep a real foothold on Britain, constantly importing norse commanders, mayors, and priests from good ol' scandinavia to take the temples and towns I couldn't hold myself.

Very quickly, I ran out of free British provinces to grab. Sure I could force the weakest of the new sprawling viking domains to pay tribute, but it just got swallowed up by Jorvik in some kind of inheritance, who eventually became England. I had been eyeing up Ireland to maybe subjugate, but now I had a real threat. But lucky lucky me, the King of England died and left a very weak regency, which I could then subjugate, leaving me now with a kingdom roughy three times as big, and going from 0 vassals to 9. Take a gander:

Yes, that is a Byzantine Lotharingia, and Hungary's pretty big, but that always happens with Hungary in this start. For some reason the Umayyads turned into Andalusia, I'm not sure how that works. There's also a handful of free counties in southern Italy that might be a good avenue for expansion, provided I'm not too threatening to Christianity. West Francia, Burgundy, and Aquitaine are all still in each other's orbits, ruled by three brother-karling-kings. Maybe that'll congeal into something eventually.

My current rivals for Britainnia are the viking kingdoms of Irland and Danmark, as well as the wee little free kingdom of Scotland, which is currently Cathar, ruled by King Hugh. Also apparently half of Ireland broke free and went independent while I was busy with other things? I can't for the life of me figure out how, the guy currently in charge of it has no family and didn't exist before 904. Maybe a rebellion?

Incidentally, I've been having all these notifications popping of counties turning Norman, there's only one Breton culture province left now, so it was the Normans invading and conquering England, no doubt on a similarly shaky premise as in reality. I'm not sure whether I should personally convert to Norman to embrace the whole thing or if I should remain Norse.

Apparently the erstwhile kingdom of England had been more thorough with its occupation, there's all these Norse counties in here, as well as:

They've really been good at spreading the religion, it's all Germanic up there, whereas my demesne's peasantry are still all good catholics, aside from the good cathars in my capital. I've also currently got dominion over Zeeland, so I might be able to venture into Scandinavia and Saxony to try reforming the Germanic religion. It's not like anybody else is in the position to do so.

I really gotta respect Hugh "The Cleansing Flame" of Scotland, even if he's got four separate conquests of Argyll going on at once, he's duking it out and sticking to his own personal brand of christianity that his people don't share. It's not like the Pope can say anything to him.

Everything's a mess of tribal and fuedal, and I'm probably going to have to try some heavy vassal pruning. Kent's the former king of England, and his heir is currently the large Jarldom of "Suðreyjar." The Duchy of Lancaster is still full catholic, and its ruling duchess is currently in my dungeons. She was rebelling at the time I subjugated England, and I just narrowly caught her away from earning independence. The Jarl of Northumberland is also planning an invasion of Mumu, so he's a man to watch. It may behoove me to confiscate lands as well, because of my other big issue...

...You see, back when I was 30, I started to get anxious about not having any heirs, and my slavic wife who hated me certainly didn't seem forthcoming, so I may have overcorrected a wee bit...

One of those sons is a bastard, and not depicted here are my two extra lovers, including the duchess of Northumberland. I'm not really sure how to sort out this mess other than grabbing a whole lot of land for my sons to duke it out in after I'm gone. I have good enough legalism to go for late medieval administration, but I'm not even sure if Primo or Ultimo will be there as options, even if I could get my vassals to like me. I'm almost certainly going to lose England and Wales, and it's gonna be a lot of trudging through muck just keeping Bertangaland intact before expanding again. I don't know what to do. Elective Gavelkind?

Also, here's the single-county Kingdom of Germany, continuing to confuse me as to what makes a Germany happen, because there was never any HRE formed, and France is still just West Francia.

Sorry if this post is too big and dumb, I just get excited at being able to recap the bizarre state of the world, and it's not even been a full century yet! 867 is a hell of a time to be alive!.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there any way I can forcibly blind my own daughter? I want my genius daughter to inherit, but she wasnt born in the purple.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I just did a William the Conqueror in the year of some lord 900.

I started at this Haesteinn guy in Nantes

Yeah, conquering Britain is the usual plan with Haesteinn. You can have some fun making him into a Merchant Republic, though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there any way I can forcibly blind my own daughter? I want my genius daughter to inherit, but she wasnt born in the purple.

Can't you grant your genius daughter Despot?

There's a minor title that makes your non-Purple heirs considered equivalent to Purple.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Can't you grant your genius daughter Despot?

There's a minor title that makes your non-Purple heirs considered equivalent to Purple.

Alternatively, if the solution SS offered isn't :ese: enough, can't you get around the "cannot murder/abduct own children" restriction by spying on them with the intrigue focus? :v:
(I could be wrong, though; it's been a while since I've needed to do this)

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I've only played in the BE like, once though, so I've got no clue, myself.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 22, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Can't you matri-marry the genius off and have her pop out a few kids while letting the other one die a spinster? If she has a son and the other one doesn't, she should become heir anyway, unless being born in the purple negates that

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Excommunicate the daughter and you can have her imprisoned.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yeah, conquering Britain is the usual plan with Haesteinn. You can have some fun making him into a Merchant Republic, though.

That was one of my hopes when I went for the viking in Brittany, but he starts out as feudal instead of tribal, so that's not really an option. I bet if I had been real ambitious, I could've made conquests much further afield right off the bat.

I'm still on the lookout for good opportunities for making a good merch republic though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The problem solved itself. One of my vassals decided to stab my other daughter.

Is there any way I can get kings under my benevolent imperial rule to give me levies?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was one of my hopes when I went for the viking in Brittany, but he starts out as feudal instead of tribal, so that's not really an option. I bet if I had been real ambitious, I could've made conquests much further afield right off the bat.

I'm still on the lookout for good opportunities for making a good merch republic though.

It's still very doable to flip to a republic from a monarchy, but it just takes more effort. You'll need to wait for your son to grow up first though, since it requires an adult male heir.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

Alternatively, if the solution SS offered isn't :ese: enough, can't you get around the "cannot murder/abduct own children" restriction by spying on them with the intrigue focus? :v:
(I could be wrong, though; it's been a while since I've needed to do this)

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I've only played in the BE like, once though, so I've got no clue, myself.

The intrigue focus's murder event is probably too rare and unreliable to be a good option. It will give you a reason to arrest your child without tyranny, though, which might help.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

No Pants posted:

The intrigue focus's murder event is probably too rare and unreliable to be a good option. It will give you a reason to arrest your child without tyranny, though, which might help.

Really? I honestly found that I got it all the time - sometimes too often, as I wouldn't necessarily want to murder someone, but still got several prompts to kill them in a couple of years. (Maybe it's linked to your intrigue stat, I suppose? Since that character had like, 18 intrigue) But yeah, abducting/jailing them and then throwing them into the oubliette is the way to go, for sure.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Maybe it is linked to intrigue, since I don't really prize that stat too much. I've just never had that event come up very often, and when it did, it never worked!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Which mods are recommended if I want to make large empires fall apart on both the player and AI side

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Which mods are recommended if I want to make large empires fall apart on both the player and AI side

reduce your demense limit and use china.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Just wanted to share, because I've never seen this happen.

Byzantine Empire decided to convert to Miaphysite around 830-ish, and hasn't stopped since, currently in 1029.

Meanwhile I'm doing my typical Irish run, and I decided early on to say screw Catholicism due to its super low religious authority early on, and all the heresy rebellions were annoying me, so I converted my ruler to Orthodox.

And now Orthodoxy will take over all of Europe, hopefully, but not from Constantinople this time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, I never really thought of hopping religions to get better moral authority, Normally I'm just blindly loyal to whatever god I start out with.

But if the Byzantine empire's gone Miaphysite, then Orthodox's moral authority should be in the shitter, what with the no holy places being held? And then you're not the empire of Brittannia/Prydain/Albia or even Francia? Weird.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I know it's kinda dumb, but I really wish you could name armies. I want my reconquest of rightful Roman lands to be headed by Legions, not Armies of Strageos Dumbfuckleus :(

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's a good not-Italy merchant republic start? Up in the north in Scandinavia seems like it'd suffer from being stuck in no-money town (or even worse, constantly getting my coffers emptied by vikings), and my one run of Nefoud > Arabia > Republic went a little sour and I don't wanna take another shot at that.

Start as a viking. conquer Frisia with the county conquest cassius belli. make it your capital. form/hijack the duchy and kingdom. falsely convert to catholic. form merchant republic after setting a city to your capital holding. reform back to unreformed pagan norse. :black101: conquer, and have concubines for lots of sons. Hold the holy sites in case you need to reform later and start declaring holy/great holy wars for viking commerce. Set your focus to business and print fake money to get your cash going at the start. You can release your tribal lands after forming the kingdom.

Edit:

Unrelated, but for some reason Incitatus, the immortal horse is showing up looking like a Germanic kid in my game. Is there anything i can do to make him a proper horse?

Another Edit:

Having Glitterhoof raise your kids on heritage focus works to set their culture to Horse, no matter what religion you are. You have to set your kid to be his ward from the kids character sheet, not Glitterhoof's. When the kid grows up, just give it a county. Some of the members will pop up as Horse culture/portrait. No need for weirdness with Bishoprics and inheritance and being Catholic. Or you can give women who are likely to cheat/cuckold Glitterhoof as his concubines, and they will lie to their 'Man' that yes this is your kid. Again, kids born with Horse culture.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 23, 2018

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Despite reading this thread, I completely blanked on the fact that tutors will change a kid's culture and religion. Guess I'm Sino-cizing India now.

EDIT: Can I be Samrat Chakravartin and create the Empire in the West?

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 25, 2018

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Moon Slayer posted:

Despite reading this thread, I completely blanked on the fact that tutors will change a kid's culture and religion. Guess I'm Sino-cizing India now.

EDIT: Can I be Samrat Chakravartin and create the Empire in the West?

Not if you make the empire of India first, since creating your Chinese empire destroys your India title and you can't recreate it as Chinese Imperial.

Looking at the scripts it might work the other way around, but might go weird from forcing India to be your primary title.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

Not if you make the empire of India first, since creating your Chinese empire destroys your India title and you can't recreate it as Chinese Imperial.

Looking at the scripts it might work the other way around, but might go weird from forcing India to be your primary title.

Interesting I'll have to try it sometime

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HRE what are you doing?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
uhhh, what is England doing?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Devouring the entire world.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Getting a head start.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Historically accurate

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carpathia split away from the rest of the HRE:

but is run by Lithuanians

I am England, started as William the Bastard and got a bit carried away:

All that land in western Africa is Leon, which is a theocracy.

I also have three seperate vassal republics. Alexandria, Cairo, and Cornwall.

Also the Mongols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

FreudianSlippers posted:

I am England, started as William the Bastard and got a bit carried away:

Why not form the empire of Britain?

• Locked thread