Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Michael Kay claimed on the radio today that the Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7/160 but he didn't accept within 48 hours so they passed

I don't know why Michael Kay thinks he has access or sources

He apparently also thinks that what the Mets did with Bruce is directly comparable to what the Yankees did with Chapman re: trading and re-signing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Carlosologist posted:

Michael Kay claimed on the radio today that the Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7/160 but he didn't accept within 48 hours so they passed

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/951874179200102402

Michael Kay really does say a lot of stupid and outright false poo poo for the sake of afternoon drive ratings.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is just like when he said that Aaron Judge was a lock for AL MVP courtesy of his "sources"

I kind of miss Mike Francesa If Kay is going to be the only show in town (lol at the new lineup they have on the Fan)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

That seems like an overpay. Pass.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

I hope Aaron Hicks builds on his solid season last year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

What on Earth have Yankees fans seen with Bird to think he's going to be this mega stud? Nothing he has done in his entire six year professional career makes you think this guy has even All Star potential.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Kirios posted:

What on Earth have Yankees fans seen with Bird to think he's going to be this mega stud? Nothing he has done in his entire six year professional career makes you think this guy has even All Star potential.

He had a .268 ISO in 2015 and .231 ISO last year despite being injured and awful most of the season. He has a good approach at the plate and had a .365 wOBA after coming back from injury. He also was in the top 15 in all of baseball for exit velocity when he returned.

Edit: He also has a career 0.55 GB/FB, so he’s really good at getting the ball into the air, which obviously plays well for a left handed batter in a “tiny rear end park.”

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 14, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

also, he hit that clutch homer off Andrew Miller in Game 3 of the ALDS and crushed Houston pitching in the ALCS. if he's healthy, the sky is the limit for him. Of course, he also needs to stay healthy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

Dude's got a good eye and really good left handed power.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think part of it is that Bird was being talked about before Judge and he was up before Judge and Sanchez's breakouts so a lot of fans have this built up anticipation and I've heard the sentiment that he was "supposed to come first" and the injuries just sidetracked him. There's some folks in the Yankee world were definitely talking about like the unfinished piece with Judge and Sanchez to beef up the lineup before Stanton entered the picture.

There's also this commercial YES is airing about a new "murderers row" with Stanton, Judge, Sanchez... and Didi and Bird. And the Didi think makes me smile but the Bird thing just feels a bit much.

I like his left handed bat and I was only joking earlier. I like penciling him at 1st in the back half of the lineup but I'm not putting any real expectations on him until he can stay healthy and productive. But I look forward to seeing if this is the year.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 15, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Judge called bird the best hitter they had in the Sanchez/judge/etc group that came up through the minors together fwiw

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

Judge called bird the best hitter they had in the Sanchez/judge/etc group that came up through the minors together fwiw

Yeah, everybody in the org thinks Bird is an insanely good hitter. There was a great quote from one of the minor league managers about how if Bird took a called strike but insisted it was a ball, they would check the tape and he was always right.

I think he'll probably never put up an ridiculous average even if he plays a full season this year, but his power and eye are legit.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 15, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, everybody in the org thinks Bird is an insanely good hitter. There was a great quote from one of the minor league managers about how if Bird took a called strike but insisted it was a ball, they would check the tape and he was always right.

I think he'll probably never put up an ridiculous average even if he plays a full season this year, but his power and eye are legit.

Good thing BA doesn't matter at all. I'm worried that Bird is going to be Nick Johnson 2.0 but there is no doubt that if he actually does stay healthy he's going to be very good.

Kirios posted:

Really? He slugged 530 as a 22 year old with a 135 OPS+ and played GG defense at 1B. The only question in his game is heath.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 15, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Really? He slugged 530 as a 22 year old with a 135 OPS+ and played GG defense at 1B. The only question in his game is heath.

I'll just leave it alone it's not fair for me to go to the Yankees thread and say that. I honestly didn't realize it was this thread when I posted it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Good thing BA doesn't matter at all. I'm worried that Bird is going to be Nick Johnson 2.0 but there is no doubt that if he actually does stay healthy he's going to be very good.

I know he didn't live up to his hype but in terms of getting on base being another Nick Johnson is no bad thing. Nick's 2006 slash is particularly good, and his career numbers are pretty respectable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know he didn't live up to his hype but in terms of getting on base being another Nick Johnson is no bad thing. Nick's 2006 slash is particularly good, and his career numbers are pretty respectable.

He was a very good player. Just couldn't stay on the field.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Uh Bird's defense is not good at all. He'll be dope offensively though and I'm not worried about his health. I think he'll be the next Richie Sexson.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Bird's defense is fine. He's no Tex, but Tex is an outlier.

Also you should all read Jeff Passan's article about the economics of baseball.

quote:

“Brian Cashman has been one of the best GMs for 20 years, and this is the first year he’s really been recognized as a good GM. Why?” one official said. “Because [the Yankees] cut payroll. Because he had more homegrown talent, as if that means a drat thing. And because you can’t be a genius if you spend money. You can only be a genius if your team wins through not spending money. And that’s ridiculous. It’s absolutely ridiculous. But they’ve done a good job in conditioning the whole world to see it that way.”

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah bird is whatever at first base, but its first base so who cares about defense.

Seeing Nick Johnson's name thrown around actually got me thinking, "Nick Johnson with more power" is probably a good comp for bird, similar health issues too.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Don't know if you guys saw the bobble heads their giving out here at the AAA park:

https://twitter.com/RailRidersTT/status/952935231698427904

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mage_Boy posted:

Don't know if you guys saw the bobble heads their giving out here at the AAA park:

I am definitely making at least one road trip down there this year.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Every once in a while, I re-remember that Giancarlo Stanton is a Yankee, and I just smile. :unsmith:

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

I've never wanted a bobble head before reading this post. If I only lived a lot closer to Scranton.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Have the Yankees announced when single game tickets go on sale? I saw they did some things around the holidays that are over now.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

I'd really like for the Yankees to trade Gardner (ideally, it would be Ellsbury, but we all know how unrealistic that is) and then sign Darvish and Avila and then call it an offseason, but it looks like they're gonna stick with the team as currently constructed (or sign a stopgap infielder).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah bird is whatever at first base, but its first base so who cares about defense.

Seeing Nick Johnson's name thrown around actually got me thinking, "Nick Johnson with more power" is probably a good comp for bird, similar health issues too.

Nah. He's not Nick Johnson. He's not going to have Johnson's OBP skill. The only reason I bought Johnson up was the injury problems.

ihatepants posted:

I'd really like for the Yankees to trade Gardner (ideally, it would be Ellsbury, but we all know how unrealistic that is) and then sign Darvish and Avila and then call it an offseason, but it looks like they're gonna stick with the team as currently constructed (or sign a stopgap infielder).

The Yankees have been trying to trade Gardner for years and they never do and it turns out that when Gardner is going well the Yankees win a lot of games. He's a pretty underrated good player.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Gardner has carved out a solid career for himself, and he's really proved to be a valuable piece in the clubhouse from all reports. I'd be disappointed to see him go

and I agree that the roster is what the roster is at this point. It seems like the Yanks are gonna give the kids every chance to prove themselves this spring, but whatever MILB deal they make for an infielder will be notable since that player may break camp if he performs well/better than Andujar or Torres

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees have been trying to trade Gardner for years and they never do and it turns out that when Gardner is going well the Yankees win a lot of games. He's a pretty underrated good player.

I don't think they have been trying to trade him. I think he's the obvious trade candidate because of Ellsbury's contract, but the Yankees properly value Gardner and he's not on a particularly good or bad contract. All of the Cashman quotes about potential Gardner trades are about how they've gotten offers on him but none that meet their criteria, which doesn't sound like he's really ever shopped him around.

Carlosologist posted:

and I agree that the roster is what the roster is at this point. It seems like the Yanks are gonna give the kids every chance to prove themselves this spring, but whatever MILB deal they make for an infielder will be notable since that player may break camp if he performs well/better than Andujar or Torres

Making Andujar an untouchable in the Cole talks makes me think they have him penciled in to start at 3B this year.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

on the RAB podcast, they had Keith Law on and he had an interesting note on defensive development. Basically he said that Andujar was MLB ready on defense, but the real improvement will come in the bigs since there is generally more focus on defensive drills and such. Given that the Yankees are all about the stats, it strikes me as that they will hone in on defense as he goes

Law is also really really high on Sheffield so that's pretty exciting

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Law part of the pod is really great, he hit on a lot of stuff that has interested me about the farm for the past couple of years, even Mateo's promotion to AA last season.

And yes, it's amazing how many people have taken "We want him to get better at defense" to mean "He is a complete butcher" with Andujar.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

CC looks like he’s closer to 200 than 300lbs. He’s gonna be throwing 80mph tops this season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think they have been trying to trade him. I think he's the obvious trade candidate because of Ellsbury's contract, but the Yankees properly value Gardner and he's not on a particularly good or bad contract. All of the Cashman quotes about potential Gardner trades are about how they've gotten offers on him but none that meet their criteria, which doesn't sound like he's really ever shopped him around.

Making Andujar an untouchable in the Cole talks makes me think they have him penciled in to start at 3B this year.

The stupid thing is that Gardner was always pretty close to as good as Ellsbury. Some years a little better, some year a little worse, and they paid Ellsbury like a billion times as much. That must annoy gardner... Either way, there has been rumors about Gardner being traded for a number of offseasons.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm glad I found this thread. I look forward to celebrating with you all this season.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

If anyone in here doesn't read riveraveblues.com, number 1 you should in general, but this week especially because they're doing articles about the 1998 team. Pretty interesting stuff.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

RCarr posted:

I'm glad I found this thread. I look forward to celebrating with you all this season.

Hell yeah

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lets all guess how many home runs Stanton, Gary, and Judge hit.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

What was the benefit of trading for Russell Wilson?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PR?

I genuinely had no idea Wilson played baseball at all. That's weird. Like... is he actually going to play the summer at Trenton? Is that even allowed now adays in the NFL?

If so I guess Trenton's gonna have a banner year for tickets and merchandise.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's just a silly gimmick around having someone at camp to give leadership talks. It's not Tebow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's what I figured but the "he'll be assigned to Trenton" threw me a curve.

• Locked thread