Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $956.82

Critique me, folks. After looking at finances again I decided my budget was about $1500. My last $1300 build 4.5 years ago lasted me well, but it's time to get that sweet satisfaction of building a new baby.

E: My Crucial MX500 actually already shipped so I might just keep that instead of returning. Savings of $30 or so.

On mobile so I cant check that motherboard details but Asus has a few stinkers in the Z370 range. In your price range the Asrock Z370 Extreme 4 seem to be on of the best option, it has all the usual features plus some beefy VRM for over clocking.
Also for PSU, this Corsair range isn't very good, if you want a Corsair, get a Corsair Ax or Hx, if not get a Seasonic focus plus or EVGA supernova g2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thanks. I should probably circle back with the thread when MicroCenter releases their Builder's Month (February) deals. I'm holding off on my chip and mobo purchase until then. Hoping I can save $100 or so on a bundle.

Also - I'd really like a warm orange glow (not too bright) to light my machine through the tempered glass window. I think the Corsair RGB sticks are a little too flash and I don't want any sort of flashing but I do want to display the machine in aesthetically pleasing and tasteful way. Suggestions?

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 19, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

G.skill has some RGB sticks but I'm not sure if they will fit your aesthetical criteria.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thanks. I should probably circle back with the thread when MicroCenter releases their Builder's Month (February) deals. I'm holding off on my chip and mobo purchase until then. Hoping I can save $100 or so on a bundle.

Also - I'd really like a warm orange glow (not too bright) to light my machine through the tempered glass window. I think the Corsair RGB sticks are a little too flash and I don't want any sort of flashing but I do want to display the machine in aesthetically pleasing and tasteful way. Suggestions?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811980001

Maybe something like these? Not sure if that's what you are looking for. But it seems you can tone down the brightness and stick them on the color orange forever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How loud would a reference 980 be compared to an ITX profile Gigabyte 970 OC? I might have the opportunity to get one cheap, but I’m concerned about relative noise. I don’t need a 980 at this point, but it also wouldn’t hurt to have one for the future or if I see an opportunity to flip it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

For lighting, from cheap to expensive :
A led strip (lot motherboard have a led strip connector and controler nowaday)
RGB Fan
RGB Ram (corsair vengeance RGB or Gskill trident)
RGB AIO cooler (corsair or nzxt)
RGB motherboard (like Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 5)

Some have backlight underneath the motherboard

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Hey guys, I could use some critic here, I haven't looked at PC parts since I built mine 4+ years ago so I'm totally fuzzy here, and this one is for my brother, he's been wanting to build a PC for a while now, and I think it's time.

I know GPUs / RAM prices are F***ed but oh well can't wait forever, but I'm wondering about CPUs and this whole meltdown fiasco, is it worth to wait for a new revision that fixes this or are we still year/s of waiting for something to come out with this flaw natively fixed?

I also notice he'll need an SSD, so I'll tell him to get in addition a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB.

Is there anything else I/he should consider? Any red flags?

Build:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/brodster1441/saved/PPxQVn

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I bought this card a month~ ago for $290.

is this the real price of cards these days?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Typical posted:

I bought this card a month~ ago for $290.

is this the real price of cards these days?

$1100 is a ripoff, a 1060 is a solid $500 GPU.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

$1100 is a ripoff, a 1060 is a solid $500 GPU.

what

My 1070 cost me $530 CANADIAN. A 1060 is a ripoff still at $500 USD.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My god, I've totally goofed things up: I sold my GTX970 for ~Ł100 less than what I bought it for a few years back, which is a win in my books. Downside is, I've been using an old GTX560 Ti, originally thinking "I'll only use it for a week or two until I buy a new card". Original plan was to sell the 970 and put the money towards a 1080 Ti, and they were all available at reasonable prices back in December / early January.

There's nowhere that has GPUs in stock, and if they are in stock, they're disgustingly expensive. I feel sad that I'm stuck with a garbage card for the foreseeable future.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Just got a new i7-8700K, motherboard, and RAM. Case, GPU, SSDs/HDDs, Cooler, ...etc. are all coming over from my existing system.

I'm sure the prudent thing to do is start with a fresh install of Windows 10, but is it absolutely required? In other words, if I just put everything together and set the BIOS to boot off of my existing OS, will it work?

Anything I should do prior to dismantling my existing PC?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I just bought a 1060 6GB for $289 about a month ago as well. Thank god I bought that a month ago.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BCRock posted:

Just got a new i7-8700K, motherboard, and RAM. Case, GPU, SSDs/HDDs, Cooler, ...etc. are all coming over from my existing system.

I'm sure the prudent thing to do is start with a fresh install of Windows 10, but is it absolutely required? In other words, if I just put everything together and set the BIOS to boot off of my existing OS, will it work?

Anything I should do prior to dismantling my existing PC?

Windows can probably boot from generic drivers but a fresh install from UEFI is best.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!
I'm building my first new system since 2013. I've always had two monitors or less but for my new system but now I have four monitors and I want to run all 4. One is 2560x1600 and the rest are standard 1080p.

As an aside I have a GTX 760 I want to hold over because I feel like Nvidia will probably come out with a new generation of cards pretty soon and I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices now for 1.5 year old tech.

Anyway my main question is how do I run 4 monitors? I have no idea about this. Do I need two graphics cards? Is that possible? I want to have games on two monitors and the other 2 I stack on top will just be like mumble/jabber/webpages. It is possible to get a cheaper GPU to handle the less important screens so the main GPU isn't taxed?

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

vulvamancer posted:

I'm building my first new system since 2013. I've always had two monitors or less but for my new system but now I have four monitors and I want to run all 4. One is 2560x1600 and the rest are standard 1080p.

As an aside I have a GTX 760 I want to hold over because I feel like Nvidia will probably come out with a new generation of cards pretty soon and I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices now for 1.5 year old tech.

Anyway my main question is how do I run 4 monitors? I have no idea about this. Do I need two graphics cards? Is that possible? I want to have games on two monitors and the other 2 I stack on top will just be like mumble/jabber/webpages. It is possible to get a cheaper GPU to handle the less important screens so the main GPU isn't taxed?

You need 4 computers.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

You need 4 computers.

On it homey

Qubee
May 31, 2013

this makes me wonder: is it possible to have a main GPU that powers my main monitor that I play games on, and then a weaker GPU that powers secondary monitors which I'd only ever use to have other screens open (but not games)? I'd love to have 3 monitors, but I have no idea what sort of performance drain that puts on a GPU.

i feel like i've just been kicked in the balls as I could have bought another GTX 970 for Ł280 and run it in SLI, and benchmarks show that it's about 10% weaker than a single 1080. drat.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 20, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can run multiple monitors from one card without significant issues. Most GPUs have 2d rendering components that handle your basic windows workloads and the 3d rendering stuff that handles 3d workloads like games. This means that for the most part your 2d workloads won't impact your 3d display very much. The main thing to make sure of is that your card can handle the number of displays you want to use and that you have the appropriate connectors for them. I believe that the 900 and 1000 series from nvidia support four displays and there's a maximum resolution that's shared among them.

For example the GTX 1080 page on nvidia's site says:
Maximum Digital Resolution 7680x4320@60Hz

I've seen folks pushing the boundary with higher refresh on some monitors or just displaying more than the card states it can put out, but I wouldn't count on that as being a usual thing. If you need a lot of displays there's cards made to handle more monitors for things like digital displays.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Q8ee posted:

this makes me wonder: is it possible to have a main GPU that powers my main monitor that I play games on, and then a weaker GPU that powers secondary monitors which I'd only ever use to have other screens open (but not games)? I'd love to have 3 monitors, but I have no idea what sort of performance drain that puts on a GPU.

i feel like i've just been kicked in the balls as I could have bought another GTX 970 for Ł280 and run it in SLI, and benchmarks show that it's about 10% weaker than a single 1080. drat.

SLI is not great and is unsupported by a lot of games. It's almost always better to sell your old card and buy a single card that will do what you want. I'd probably have secured your next card before you sold the last one but there was no way to know that GPU supply would just dry up all of the sudden. It's a dumb cryptocurrency frenzied world right now and you learned something, at least.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

For example the GTX 1080 page on nvidia's site says:
Maximum Digital Resolution 7680x4320@60Hz

I've seen folks pushing the boundary with higher refresh on some monitors or just displaying more than the card states it can put out, but I wouldn't count on that as being a usual thing. If you need a lot of displays there's cards made to handle more monitors for things like digital displays.

My best monitor is higher refresh rate than the rest of them, do you know if the GPU can run them at different hz or will it trying to be running 120hz for all the monitors even though 3 of them are 60hz?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

awesome, thanks for the advice. I just figured, I've got a 560 Ti sitting around that I'll never use once I eventually get my new card. I was going to turn it into a cheapass home entertainment system, but nowadays with Netflix and Smart TVs and being able to stream directly from my main PC over my home network, that's kind of redundant. so I thought the next best thing I could use it for was as a dedicated 2nd / 3rd monitor GPU that lets me browse the web / spotify, whilst my main card handles my main monitor and game.

do you reckon a 1080 Ti could handle a 27 inch 1440p main monitor, and then two 24 inch 1080p monitors whilst heavily gaming on the main screen and browsing the web on the others?

Rexxed posted:

It's almost always better to sell your old card and buy a single card that will do what you want. I'd probably have secured your next card before you sold the last one but there was no way to know that GPU supply would just dry up all of the sudden. It's a dumb cryptocurrency frenzied world right now and you learned something, at least.

fair point about the SLI. as for securing my next card before selling my current one, that was initially the plan. I had my 970 on Amazon for a while and it didn't seem like it'd sell anytime soon, and then a spanner was thrown into the works and I wasn't prepared to fork out Ł700 on a 1080 / 1080 Ti in one lump sum, so I waited it out as I was expecting a change in financial circumstances that would allow me to get the card on finance (which unfortunately didn't happen). and by the time I went to buy the card outright, everything had dried up. when my 970 was bought, I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity of selling it for 65% of what I originally bought it for.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 20, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vulvamancer posted:

My best monitor is higher refresh rate than the rest of them, do you know if the GPU can run them at different hz or will it trying to be running 120hz for all the monitors even though 3 of them are 60hz?

The GPU can run them at different refresh rates. I've got my primary display at 96hz and secondary at 60hz.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Q8ee posted:

do you reckon a 1080 Ti could handle a 27 inch 1440p main monitor, and then two 24 inch 1080p monitors whilst heavily gaming on the main screen and browsing the web on the others?

I have a 1080 with a 27" 1440p 96hz main monitor and a 27" 1440p 60hz secondary right now and it's been totally fine. It also worked on my GTX970. When I have a game open on the main monitor the second one is able to work normally to show web pages, youtube, the camera streaming from the 3d printer, etc. I don't think you'll have an issue with that setup.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

perfect. any ideas of what I can do with the 560 Ti? or should I just take it to be recycled lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Q8ee posted:

perfect. any ideas of what I can do with the 560 Ti? or should I just take it to be recycled lol

Sell it, keep it around in case your video card dies, donate it, etc. I keep my old hardware and my junk pile is huge after 20 years. Such amazing junk. Anyone want a modem?

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Sell it, keep it around in case your video card dies, donate it, etc. I keep my old hardware and my junk pile is huge after 20 years. Such amazing junk. Anyone want a modem?

Only if it's got the v.92

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

vulvamancer posted:

Only if it's got the v.92
Nobody bought a v.92.

VariedTechnique
Jul 7, 2011
Ripped straight from the tl;dr section

USA
Gaming
I'd like to stay under $3,000
Ideal situation would be 4k resolution “Ultra preset as fast as possible”
If we can tack on a 4k monitor and keep it under $3,000 I'd be overjoyed
This is my first build

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Variedtechnique/saved/Gf89WZ

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VariedTechnique posted:

Ripped straight from the tl;dr section

USA
Gaming
I'd like to stay under $3,000
Ideal situation would be 4k resolution “Ultra preset as fast as possible”
If we can tack on a 4k monitor and keep it under $3,000 I'd be overjoyed
This is my first build

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Variedtechnique/saved/Gf89WZ

I'd go for something like this (I modified your list for a newer 6 core CPU, compatible motherboard, faster ram, different case that's not open air and added a monitor):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.19 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($196.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.55 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HK 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($761.61 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $2352.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-20 02:19 EST-0500

The only tricky part right now is buying a GTX 1080Ti for a reasonable price. They should be in the $800 range but crypto miners have bought out all the stock so they're wildly inflated by people reselling. You can save a little money getting a Win7 pro key from the goon in SA-mart and activating windows 10 with it. I'm also not a monitor expert for 4k but that's the cheapest one that's 4k with G-SYNC that's IPS that I saw. It's very difficult to drive 4k games on ultra even for the 1080 Ti so G-SYNC will help a lot to maintain smoothness.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You can still buy (cheap) Win7 keys and essentially convert them to Win10 keys?

Does that include the professional editions?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The upgrade program ended a couple of days ago but still seems to work as before. I am just a humble computer man and can't be held responsible if MS gets angry at you. I kind of doubt they give a poo poo at this point, however. Too busy putting candy crush on everyone's computer without asking.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So real talk; is there an end in this sight to this gpu ridiculousness and if so how

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

So real talk; is there an end in this sight to this gpu ridiculousness and if so how

Death of cryptomining at home so basically Bitcoin failing or North Korea glazing the U.S. with a nuclear fire.

So yeah wait for Bitcoin to die. It will plunge every other cryptocurrency into oblivion too, and right now things are so shabby they can maintain alleged value via daily injections of $100m in fake dollars.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Will bitcoin die though?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

Will bitcoin die though?

Undoubtedly.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

RGB .... and tasteful

Does not compute

Qubee
May 31, 2013

was going to bite the bullet and order an MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X card from Newegg, but I flaked last minute because 2-3 business day shipping, and I'm scared if it got lost in the mail or arrived defective, it would be an absolute nightmare fighting for a refund. Going to wait and hope that Amazon restocks a bunch of GPUs soon so prices return to normal.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there going to be any interesting new features on the next X470 AM4 motherboards worth looking out for? They're going to finally have Thunderbolt 3 support as well, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VariedTechnique
Jul 7, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I'd go for something like this (I modified your list for a newer 6 core CPU, compatible motherboard, faster ram, different case that's not open air and added a monitor):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.19 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($196.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.55 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HK 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($761.61 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $2352.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-20 02:19 EST-0500

The only tricky part right now is buying a GTX 1080Ti for a reasonable price. They should be in the $800 range but crypto miners have bought out all the stock so they're wildly inflated by people reselling. You can save a little money getting a Win7 pro key from the goon in SA-mart and activating windows 10 with it. I'm also not a monitor expert for 4k but that's the cheapest one that's 4k with G-SYNC that's IPS that I saw. It's very difficult to drive 4k games on ultra even for the 1080 Ti so G-SYNC will help a lot to maintain smoothness.

Is there anything wrong with the open air case? I liked the look and the idea behind it. Mostly because it's something new/different. (to me anyways)