Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nhilist posted:

I think this is great technique, refinement is how something good goes to great. Going to make them again this weekend and am all about this.

Also, go do red beans in your pressure cooker tout de suite :)

Oh I definitely will! Just finished the weekend off with a huge batch of turkey and sausage gumbo from all the turkey carcass stock I made. I'll probably put red beans in the rotation for next weeks cooking though!

I figured on that method since I used to do a lot of red beans batches in the crock pot. It always tasted good if I had sausage in it, but most all of the sausage itself would just be a mostly flavorless lump if I left them in for hours and hours. Just shifted the same strategy over to pressure cooking.

One other thing I like to do is to brown up the small sausage bits and then brown the onions in that, then add everything together for pressure cooking. You get a nice maillard reaction going on them and the flavor is boosted even further than just dumping everything raw into the cooker and letting it rip. This is less convenient, so I can see why people would avoid if you just want a batch of nice tasting beans, but to me it's another 'pushes good to great' steps.

Edit: also when pressure cooking I put in a single tsp of baking soda with the onions when I'm browning them. Helps them break down and brown better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Thanks all for the recipes and suggestions! We snagged some more andouille sausage and boudin while we were in Breaux Bridge for the holidays. Can't wait to get home and start cooking!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Huge success! Thanks again!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Where’s the spot to get a fat plate of fried fish and southern sides around Freret/Uptown

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

goodness posted:

Where’s the spot to get a fat plate of fried fish and southern sides around Freret/Uptown

High Hat might work for you, check out the menu.

http://highhatcafe.com/

Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-propane-jet-burners

I want to upgrade the boiling rig. I would really like to get an 80 quart crawfish pot to boiling faster than 30 minutes. My current rig is decent but it's too tall (like 24" off the ground) and the jet is weak.

I am also thinking something like this with a 30 or 40 PSI regulator.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-single-propane-burners/products/sp40-bayou-classic-double-jet-propane-burner

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

High Hat might work for you, check out the menu.

http://highhatcafe.com/

Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-propane-jet-burners

I want to upgrade the boiling rig. I would really like to get an 80 quart crawfish pot to boiling faster than 30 minutes. My current rig is decent but it's too tall (like 24" off the ground) and the jet is weak.

I am also thinking something like this with a 30 or 40 PSI regulator.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-single-propane-burners/products/sp40-bayou-classic-double-jet-propane-burner

HIgh Hat was great this morning, really good grits and pork

But I’m taking about like a styrofoam container from a hole in the wall type place.

Had some soul filling gumbo from a Jamaican food cart outside Tipitnas on friday

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll have to get outside the city next time I'm down. Had some great food as always, I need to learn to make this stuff

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just made some red beans and rice with chicken, celery, onions, parsely, jalapeños, garlic, Tony's, salt and pepper and a shitload of tobasco. Fuckin love me some simple Cajun food.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

I'll have to get outside the city next time I'm down. Had some great food as always, I need to learn to make this stuff

Jambalaya is an easy enough start. If you get it wrong 9 times out of 10 its just a little bit mushy but still tastes awesome and is good to eat. Only thing to avoid there is to not burn it but that's not too difficult, moreso if you let it cook in the oven instead of the stovetop after combining in liquid with the rice.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

Just made some red beans and rice with chicken, celery, onions, parsely, jalapeños, garlic, Tony's, salt and pepper and a shitload of tobasco. Fuckin love me some simple Cajun food.

I've never had chicken in my red beans before. It's always been pork sausage and andouille sausage. Also you're missing some bell pepper in there for the holy trinity.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poemdexter posted:

I've never had chicken in my red beans before. It's always been pork sausage and andouille sausage. Also you're missing some bell pepper in there for the holy trinity.

Actually I left that out, I did have bell pepper in it. Couldn't afford sausage or I'd have had some of that too! We were waiting on payday and I realized I had chicken and 2 pounds of red beans and could make a bigass pot of insanely delicious red beans. So I went with what was in the fridge.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

Actually I left that out, I did have bell pepper in it. Couldn't afford sausage or I'd have had some of that too! We were waiting on payday and I realized I had chicken and 2 pounds of red beans and could make a bigass pot of insanely delicious red beans. So I went with what was in the fridge.

Sounds like a winner to me then!

Narc
Feb 3, 2005
By Y g

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Narc posted:

By Y g

Oui cher

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Has anyone microwaved their roux? It seems to good to be true. https://thetakeout.com/make-better-gumbo-faster-with-the-miracle-of-microwaved-1822915988

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No and I never will, making roux is enjoyable and smells great. I saw that article and the only thing sillier than microwave roux is the commenter who says gumbo shouldn’t be made with roux anyway.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No and I never will, making roux is enjoyable and smells great. I saw that article and the only thing sillier than microwave roux is the commenter who says gumbo shouldn’t be made with roux anyway.

lol I saw that it was a top tier troll

But I don't know, it feels sacrilegious somehow, but at the same time I don't see that it would really affect the flavor of the roux. Kind of like toasting your dried whole chiles in the microwave. It's odd, but I've done it and I sure as hell didn't notice any difference.

I also know people do roux in the oven and this seems like the same principle.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I use roux from a jar if I'm lazy. I dunno about a microwaved roux.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

poemdexter posted:

:same: but always

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Like... I'm sure it's fine, but... I am not sure how much easier or faster pulling it in and out of the microwave 14+ times and stirring while hoping it doesn't bubble over and ruin everything, is... I'd rather just gently stir for 30 minutes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It took me way too long to be able to make roux just how I want it to change methods now so... no.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

poemdexter posted:

All my relatives in Louisiana used jarred roux so that makes it OK in my book.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

There's nothing wrong with jarred roux or oven-baked roux or whatever roux you want to make if it works. I like jarred roux for a thinner, darker gumbo. It's got a unique taste that works well with seafood gumbo I think.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Same, I used to always have a bit of quick prep stuff like that on hand. Half the time I make cajun food I'm just doing the bare minimum / cheapest prep for a couple of cheap meals in a batch. The other half is when I'm making it for company and throw in better ingredients / more careful prep. It's better, but not massively so.

Edit: The Zatarans boxed jambalaya mix isn't that terrible and I used to use it but now making jambalaya doesn't take a whole lot longer for me since I got generally better at cooking so I stopped using it. Also if you don't have some cans of Blue Runner redbeans stashed away you should. They are good and you can just heat and dump on rice with or without meat added.

That Works fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 22, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

My new favorite app...though the prices need to drop a bit! poo poo was like $5/lb during Mardi Gras

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My new favorite app...though the prices need to drop a bit! poo poo was like $5/lb during Mardi Gras

:stonk:

*frantically pulls out phone*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
for some reason my grocery store had redfish, which I've never seen all the way up here in a regular grocery fish counter. must have been a big catch this year or something.

I've just realized that blackened redfish is a terrible idea because my kitchen does not have a vent and it will fill my house with smoke. So I guess I'll just bread them and fry em hot but not blackened hot. Any other suggestions?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

for some reason my grocery store had redfish, which I've never seen all the way up here in a regular grocery fish counter. must have been a big catch this year or something.

I've just realized that blackened redfish is a terrible idea because my kitchen does not have a vent and it will fill my house with smoke. So I guess I'll just bread them and fry em hot but not blackened hot. Any other suggestions?

Nothing at all wrong with frying them but if you wanted to try something else there's always:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2007/04/03/redfish-courtbouillon/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Welp, turns out my initial reaction of "why would a new york grocery have southern gulf redfish?" was accurate and this is a totally different atlantic ocean redfish. get more creative with your fish names people! yes it's a fish that is red, can't you think of anything else to call it?

OTOH looking up what this other redfish is like, I think
might still be really good. just gotta cook way shorter since I have smallish fillets not whole fish.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Klyith posted:

Welp, turns out my initial reaction of "why would a new york grocery have southern gulf redfish?" was accurate and this is a totally different atlantic ocean redfish. get more creative with your fish names people! yes it's a fish that is red, can't you think of anything else to call it?

OTOH looking up what this other redfish is like, I think

might still be really good. just gotta cook way shorter since I have smallish fillets not whole fish.

I assume you have the rock perch family redfish as opposed to the croaker family redfish. It is still good eating although I will usually do a nordic style dish with it.

SweetAl13
Jun 4, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Made chicken and sausage gumbo yesterday. This was the roux.

Here’s some Andouille snausages about to go in. I didn’t get any pictures of the trinity or the subsequent chicken, seasonings, and later okra. There was some drinking involved.

Pot post-okra. I ate a ton of baguette dipped in this.

Final product. Enjoying some leftovers now. My pops is from Lake Charles, so I grew up eating this stuff, but it’s been fun learning how to cook it. This thread has been incredibly helpful. Cheers!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

apk215 posted:

Made chicken and sausage gumbo yesterday. This was the roux.

Here’s some Andouille snausages about to go in. I didn’t get any pictures of the trinity or the subsequent chicken, seasonings, and later okra. There was some drinking involved.

Pot post-okra. I ate a ton of baguette dipped in this.

Final product. Enjoying some leftovers now. My pops is from Lake Charles, so I grew up eating this stuff, but it’s been fun learning how to cook it. This thread has been incredibly helpful. Cheers!

Hell yeah! Looks about as good as it can be. And why not dip bread in it?

Anyone else mix up the carbs? I know people who swear by potato salad in the gumbo. I can’t see how it’s bad, but I’ve never brought myself to do it. I have put noodles in it and as you might expect, it’s amazing drunk food.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I get a gumbo bowl and do 1/3 potato salad and 2/3 rice/gumbo.

It’s pretty great :yum:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hell yeah! Looks about as good as it can be. And why not dip bread in it?

Anyone else mix up the carbs? I know people who swear by potato salad in the gumbo. I can’t see how it’s bad, but I’ve never brought myself to do it. I have put noodles in it and as you might expect, it’s amazing drunk food.

Potato salad is really good - gumbo obviously doesn't have enough fat in it with the roux/etc, you need that extra mayo.

A hollowed out and buttered pistollete or end of a baguette filled with gumbo is the absolute best in terms of starches though.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the potato salad in the gumbo. There's something about the creamy cool potato salad with the scalding hot spicy gumbo that's just a match made in heaven.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I honestly don't think I ever tried it, mostly because I'm kinda blah on potato salad. Will have to check it out sometime.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Also don’t forget to crumble Club crackers into the gumbo. Leave them chunky so you get a nice crunch and bites of buttery goodness.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the potato salad in the gumbo. There's something about the creamy cool potato salad with the scalding hot spicy gumbo that's just a match made in heaven.

I couldn’t care less for mayo-based potato salad in general, but it works great here for what you described. I only tried it like that maybe a month ago for the first time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poemdexter posted:

I don't make gumbos super-spicy, so that's not really a thing I'd need. But I have done gumbo with mashed potato instead of rice, which is pretty good. Also my mom used to make a version of grillades, but as a dinner meal and with mashed potato rather than grits. Pressure cookers make mashed potatoes a snap.

Speaking of condiments, half my family now live in North Carolina and I've started bringing back jars of carolina chow-chow when I visit. It is some weird intermediate between sauerkraut and kimchi, it's good with jambalaya and loving amazing with red beans & rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That Works posted:

Also if you don't have some cans of Blue Runner redbeans stashed away you should. They are good and you can just heat and dump on rice with or without meat added.

This is wisdom. I usually keep a case of cans in the pantry. My wife and I work really long hours and it's just too easy to cook some rice and dump that can. Blue Runner is quite good, and not just the red beans.