Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Great popular sport/country/world /time we're living through.

Racism and Exploitation have always been going on. The difference is people are actually starting to do something about it, or at least have the decency to be upset by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

AsInHowe posted:

I will make one up later, if no one is done so.

I follow most of the Detroit papers on twitter, but holy poo poo, this tweet from this afternoon actually stopped me right in my tracks

https://twitter.com/kimberkoz/status/954066895522713602

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I follow most of the Detroit papers on twitter, but holy poo poo, this tweet from this afternoon actually stopped me right in my tracks

https://twitter.com/kimberkoz/status/954066895522713602

Wow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not sports related, but MSU's week is getting even worse because Richard Spencer got them to let him speak and cover security costs.

They gave him the first day of spring break.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've been a juror on a court case involving sexual assault on a child, and hearing the victims statement read out by the prosecution lawyer was one of the most awful, emotional things I've ever experienced and I don't wish to experience it again. I genuinely feel for everyone except the scumbag who did this, because listening to each victim is going to be so draining for everyone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

I will make one up later, if no one is done so.

Oh good, excited to see how you can turn this into a chance for football rivalry trash talk and stanning for Bo Schembechler

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 19, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've been a juror on a court case involving sexual assault on a child, and hearing the victims statement read out by the prosecution lawyer was one of the most awful, emotional things I've ever experienced and I don't wish to experience it again. I genuinely feel for everyone except the scumbag who did this, because listening to each victim is going to be so draining for everyone

I used to be a social worker, and some of the stories they told us as a way of mentally prepping us for the realities of the field were horrifying.

I graduated, but I didn't make it. Because of emotional stuff related to the job. The profession is a meat grinder, and I didn't even work with kids once I started working for actual money (as opposed to placement, where I did work with kids but nothing overly hosed up happened).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 19, 2018

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

looks like at least one person at espn cares

https://twitter.com/TonyReali/status/954111205085532160

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I used to be a social worker, and some of the stories they told us as a way of mentally prepping us for the realities of the field were horrifying.

I graduated, but I didn't make it. Because of emotional stuff related to the job. The profession is a meat grinder, and I didn't even work with kids once I started working for actual money (as opposed to placement, where I did work with kids but nothing overly hosed up happened).

The police officer and social worker who were assigned the case were actually in tears when it was read out & I was just about holding it together. Without going too much into the details, all of us on the jury actually asked and were allowed to exit the court through the backdoor as the defendant's family were waiting outside, then we all went down the pub. We barely spoke, but the only thing we could agree on was that the sentence was almost painfully low for the crime, and that with hindsight we should have convicted him on all three counts and not just one. But still, hearing what I did over those four days was more than enough

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the athletic is doing another raid

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/954389237276622854

also it looks like arthur staple, the only islanders beat writer i know of, is joining them too

https://twitter.com/rshields37/status/954216974522966016

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Dan Hayes is good. The Athletic has done quite a job snatching up all of the best Chicago writers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fair play to the Athletic as well for making all of Katie Strang's stories on the Larry Nassar scandal free to read.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Aly Raisman just loving eviscerated Nasser, USA Gymnastics and the USOC

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/954388027719147521

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Is there going to be a Gymnastics Abuse/Nasser thread? This is bigger than the Sandusky poo poo and it's loving disgusting that so, so many people knew poo poo was going on and either covered it up or didn't care.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They were one of the biggest stories of 2016 and they were basically all molested. It's like if it turned out the entire miracle on ice team was molested.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean almost every big name gymnast from the past 20 years was a victim and they’re just the tip of the iceberg.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

General Dog posted:

They were one of the biggest stories of 2016 and they were basically all molested. It's like if it turned out the entire miracle on ice team was molested.

Mahoning posted:

I mean almost every big name gymnast from the past 20 years was a victim and they’re just the tip of the iceberg.

Exactly. Name a female Olympic gymnast. She got molested. Name a female gymnast who missed the cut for the Olympics. She got molested too. Name a female MSU gymnast. Same deal.

There's 150+ witness statements. It's loving unreal and it blows my mind that the NCAA/the Michigan AG hasn't dropped a nuke on Michigan State after what they did to PSU.

edit: Aly Raisman's statement is :stare:. gently caress all of these people for letting this go on and doing nothing.

https://deadspin.com/aly-raisman-is-ready-to-burn-it-all-down-1822234455

quote:

She responded to a statement Nassar provided yesterday, telling the judge he was unsure if he had the mental stamina to listen to so many victim impact statements. Raisman did not mince words, telling her abuser that he is “pathetic to think that anyone would have sympathy for you.” She told Nassar that she and the other athletes he abused “will use our voices to make sure you get what you deserve: A life of suffering spent replaying the words delivered by this powerful army of survivors.”

But Raisman’s most focused contempt came for USA Gymnastics and the USOC, and how they allowed the state of the sport to be uniquely influenced by Nassar. Both institutions received complaints about his abuses spanning back decades.

She told Nassar that she “will not rest until every last trace of your influence on this sport has been destroyed like the cancer it is,” and, in addressing new USA Gymastics CEO Kerry Perry, said she had “taken on an organization that I feel is rotting from the inside.”

“This may not be what you thought you were getting into,” she said, “but you will be judged by how you deal with it.”

“I have represented the USA in two Olympics and have done so successfully,” Raisman said. “And both USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic Committee have been very quick to capitalize and celebrate my success, but did they reach out when I came forward?

“No,” and then she paused.

"For this sport to go on, we need to demand real change, and we need to be willing to fight for it. It’s clear now that if we leave it up to these organizations, history is likely to repeat itself.

Now is the time to acknowledge that the very person who sits before us now—who perpetrated the worst epidemic of sexual abuse in the history of sports, who is going to be locked up for a long, long time—this monster was also the architect of policies and procedures that are supposed to protect athletes from sexual abuse for both USA Gymnastics and the USOC."

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 19, 2018

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

axeil posted:

There's 150+ witness statements. It's loving unreal and it blows my mind that the NCAA/the Michigan AG hasn't dropped a nuke on Michigan State after what they did to PSU.

Better late than never, I suppose: https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/954405791095717888

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus christ, there's still athletes at the Karolyi ranch ? I thought it was shut down but Raisman's testimony said otherwise.

And reminder for those who don't know: parents aren't allowed at the olympic training camps or competition hotels

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mastershakeman posted:

Jesus christ, there's still athletes at the Karolyi ranch ? I thought it was shut down but Raisman's testimony said otherwise.

There were athletes at the ranch at the time USA Gymnastics announced it was cutting ties with the Karolyis. That was Raisman's point: USAG made a huge show of announcing that it was done with the Karolyis, yet at that very moment there were still athletes there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/954113633293828096

I know someone was looking for a sale.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The last girl to see/be assaulted by Nassar (she was a young teen, not a student) is still getting medical bills from MSU. That university is inept in literally every way possible.

https://twitter.com/danwetzel/status/955468027813822465

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I mean, yeah gently caress MSU but she'd be far from the first person to be getting repeated bills from a medical institution and a very likely automated billing system.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's bullshit to see the wagons being circled around Marta Karolyi, Kerry Perry (and Steve Penny) and Lou Anna Simon. At least some of the board of directors for USA Gymnastics stepped down but every loving one of these people knew, are culpable, and should be going to jail too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

It's bullshit to see the wagons being circled around Marta Karolyi, Kerry Perry (and Steve Penny) and Lou Anna Simon. At least some of the board of directors for USA Gymnastics stepped down but every loving one of these people knew, are culpable, and should be going to jail too.

And if they didn't know, they're incompetent and should be gone anyways. People trusted them with their children.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

I mean, yeah gently caress MSU but she'd be far from the first person to be getting repeated bills from a medical institution and a very likely automated billing system.

They are billing her for visits to Nassar.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

They are billing her for visits to Nassar.

She only visited once as far as I know.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sportsgenius86 posted:

it doesn't loving matter jesus christ. No one should be getting billed for their molestation time

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

And if they didn't know, they're incompetent and should be gone anyways. People trusted them with their children.

Yeah I want to take a real hard line here but i'm more than happy to say 'should have known.' Every year there's another horrible scandal I get more and more convinced sports shouldn't exist at universities but even then you'd still have had all the club level + olympic level poo poo going on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

She said appointments and it seems like she had seen him a lot by her statement.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

it doesn't loving matter jesus christ. No one should be getting billed for their molestation time

I was saying it to point out that it’s not like there’s a ton of visits to have to go cancel billing for or whatever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

She said appointments and it seems like she had seen him a lot by her statement.

My bad then. The tweets I saw gave me a different impression

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJExile posted:

And that it excuses it...how? It’s been well over a year since MSU “found out” about this poo poo. If they were the least bit competent they would’ve immediately done an audit of who his patients were and made drat sure nothing this loving stupid happened.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

And that it excuses it...how? It’s been well over a year since MSU “found out” about this poo poo. If they were the least bit competent they would’ve immediately done an audit of who his patients were and made drat sure nothing this loving stupid happened.

I'm not excusing it, I'm saying the billing probably wasn't something malicious on MSU's end, that's all.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ah yes, I’m sure it would make her feel a lot better to know it was just incompetent indifference rather than malice.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Noctone posted:

You're expecting this of the institution that looked the other way on Nassar for 14+ years?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean if you want I can go back and edit my post to italicize, bold and underline “If they were the least bit competent”

Burn MSU to the ground

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Noctone posted:

Ah yes, I’m sure it would make her feel a lot better to know it was just incompetent indifference rather than malice.

Incompetence with medical billing is like standard practice.

Anyway, I actually worry that if sports went only to clubs and get away from universities, that all this would actually be worse somehow. Book needs to be thrown at MSU and everyone at USAG who knew.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The USAG chairman, vice chairman and treasurer stepped down.

This really needs its own thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

The USAG chairman, vice chairman and treasurer stepped down.

This really needs its own thread

You can start threads yourself you know