Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I listen to my podcasts backwards, that way I'm actually GAINING time! It's free time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

(Exception: storytelling podcasts like Levar Burton Reads, those are at normal speed)

How is that Reading Rainbow reboot coming along? They did that Kickstarter maybe three years ago but I haven't heard anything since.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I can't watch Law & Order reruns because they speed it up. I can't imagine doing it willingly to something I want to listen to.

I've never noticed this with Law & Order reruns, and I watch a ton of Law & Order reruns. Any channel specifically? (There are approximately 137 channels who play Law & Order reruns.)

Friends, though, is impossible to watch on most channels they rerun it on. Jennifer Anniston sounds like a chipmunk at the speed they play it at.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

enigmahfc posted:

I listen to my podcasts backwards, that way I'm actually GAINING time! It's free time!

Costanza!

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

Detective No. 27 posted:

How is that Reading Rainbow reboot coming along? They did that Kickstarter maybe three years ago but I haven't heard anything since.

Not Sure! I backed the kickstarter but haven't followed the stuff they're doing as it's aimed at kids and I don't have any. LBR it's just him reading (adult, as in grownups not X rated) short prose. Loooooove it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Detective No. 27 posted:

It hit a bit of a bit of a snag

https://twitter.com/strandbookstore/status/895305573889081345

The buried lede is that station that originally made it isn't involved with the Netflix pitch which could be an issue depending on who owns which rights.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I read the Wikipedia summary and am in the process of listening to the episode, but are you really telling me the bye bye man is summoned and brought into your life by saying bye bye man?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
You're about to find out :unsmigghh:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Calaveron posted:

So I read the Wikipedia summary and am in the process of listening to the episode, but are you really telling me the bye bye man is summoned and brought into your life by saying bye bye man?

Yes. It’s idiotic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What's the movie's pedigree, and how was it received

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I remember the movie being largely seen as a joke from jump street thanks to the title, but they mention in the episode that it made money. Somebody was seeing it, but hosed if I can figure who. Maybe it was released in a dry month or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"He's bi."
"Bi? Man."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most horror movies make money cause their budget is like $10 and people will go see any garbage horror movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Invalid Validation posted:

Most horror movies make money cause their budget is like $10 and people will go see any garbage horror movie.

See: the entire Blumhouse Productions catalogue. Irregardless of quality, their movies almost always turn a profit because of their tight budgets.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

To be fair the idea of a memetic monster isn't like, the worst idea in the world. Like it's basically the core idea of Snow Crash, if I recall from that info dump that I read more than a decade ago and if you substitute monster with virus. It sounds like the problem with The Bye Bye Man is that A) the mythology or really any of the ideas weren't developed at all and B) the monster is lame as gently caress and is a waste of Doug Jones.

Edit: I guess it's also basically what The Ring was.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 19, 2018

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I read the plot summary before listening to the episode and assumed I was either missing something or that something is badly written, whether the article or the movie. After listening I guess it's the movie.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Fart City posted:

See: the entire Blumhouse Productions catalogue. Irregardless of quality, their movies almost always turn a profit because of their tight budgets.

Yeah Get Out was a such a garbage horror movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh my god, don’t be a butt. We were talking about how horror movies turn a profit because of low budgets. Blumhouse has made a name for doing just that. Nobody said all of their work was Bye Bye Man caliber. Hence, “irregardless.”

Edit: rereading the flow of the conversation, I can see why it might have seemed otherwise. But that wasn’t my point. To be clear, what I was trying to say is that Blumhouse made a name delivering horror movies on low budgets to make maximum returns, not that all of Blumhouse’s catalogue was garbo.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 19, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

They also produce the Friedburg/Seltzer movies, as long as we're talking "who the gently caress is watching this straight-to-Crackle bullshit"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

clown shoes posted:

Yeah Get Out was a such a garbage horror movie.

Get out was a comedy stupid

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now watching the bye bye man half in the bag and it looks like they tried so hard, so hard to make a memorable scary movie guy but they overcooked it so much it's the equivalent of microwaving dry ramen noodles with the flavor packet just placed on top for five minutes
Like he's a big lurking man in a hoodie who has a hell dog and also something about coins? And trains? And he's a memetic urban legend who wants to be spread around? And also its got a goofy unassuming name like every horror movie creature? But they hosed it up in every possible way

Edit: also they try to add a creepy mantra that is just stupid

Like it's cracking me up how absolutely baffled and befuddled Mike gets while talking about the movie

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 20, 2018

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
It's funny because I thought The Bye Bye Man was going to easily be the worst horror movie in 2017.

And then Rings came out the next month.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I made a discovery at Dollar Tree today that I had forgotten even existed

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

“Air Bud Presents...”? That’s a thing?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Air Bud would be a great name for a marijuana drone delivery business.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

They wanted to call this Russel-Mania SO BAD but you know Vince McMahon put the kibosh on that in about 2 seconds flat.

Also - do yourself a favor and listen to the We Hate Movies podcast episode on this

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
What is the stronger brand, the ABEU ( air bud extended universe ) or the DCEU ?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

admataY posted:

What is the stronger brand, the ABEU ( air bud extended universe ) or the DCEU ?

You asked that like it's a drat question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8u7iu_AJs0

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

“Air Bud Presents...”? That’s a thing?

look at this scrub unfamiliar with the great production houses of hollywood

GPTribefan posted:

They wanted to call this Russel-Mania SO BAD but you know Vince McMahon put the kibosh on that in about 2 seconds flat.

Also - do yourself a favor and listen to the We Hate Movies podcast episode on this

I did, and it answered any questions I ever had quite satisfactorily.

I had a friend who proudly bought "Most Valuable Primate" on DVD. When I asked him what the gently caress he was thinking, he sighed and answered truthfully: "look, people in monkey clothes doing monkey things just makes me happy". I can respect that answer.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"look, people in monkey clothes doing monkey things just makes me happy"

drat I wish all happiness was that easy to aspire to.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Captain Hotbutt posted:

drat I wish all happiness was that easy to aspire to.

Dammit, was supposed to be "look, monkeys in people clothes doing people things just makes me happy". Boy did I screw up the wording there, but I am enjoying the new genre I accidentally created.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
So I'm calling in my ol' standby of "Shakedown" for the Listener Request Month, which I've definitely posted about the last time they did LRM. Check out the bitchin' trailer.

I recently rewatched it and it's kind of awesome. There's a bad-guy-mullet the likes of which you've never seen, but I think the boys would get a kick out of pre-Guiliani New York locations and weirdo sex stuff throughout.

I found out that Shout has just released this bad-boy on Blu-Ray. That's an instant purchase.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man they are real mad about Jim Sturgess

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oscar-nominated movie Boss Baby

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Corek posted:

Oscar-nominated movie Boss Baby
I gotta watch it now. I've heard such a wide array of opinions on this thing, from people calling it an abortion to praising it, and now it's up for a loving Oscar? I have to see what this is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man they are real mad about Jim Sturgess
I loved Steve getting so mad at Sturgess's mullet he started running out of breath.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We all know that Wallace Shawn blows all his money on Mondrian pieces.

Also love the callback to Louie Anderson

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I gotta watch it now. I've heard such a wide array of opinions on this thing, from people calling it an abortion to praising it, and now it's up for a loving Oscar? I have to see what this is.

Despite not having seen Boss Baby I'm willing to bet the sole reason for the Oscar nom was "there are 5 slots and it was either this or the loving Emoji Movie"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AceOfFlames posted:

Despite not having seen Boss Baby I'm willing to bet the sole reason for the Oscar nom was "there are 5 slots and it was either this or the loving Emoji Movie"
Having now seen Boss Baby, I think I would've preferred The Emoji Movie be on that list instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Lego Batman, My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea, and Mary and the Witch's Flower were eligible along with about twenty other movies.

They did not have to pick Boss Baby and are legitimately saying that Boss Baby is better than Lego Batman.