Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Zerilan posted:

Thanks. Any advice on building in combat? I don't really know much about differences in the material or really doing much beyond surrounding myself with walls on as many sides as I'm being hit from.

For defensive building it's mostly straightforward so it's all about speed. Getting shot while in the open? You should have two walls and a ramp built in 2-3 seconds. Building a 3-4 level tower shouldn't take more than 10 seconds. Since these motions are going to be exactly the same every time it just takes practice - you can often find 60-90 materials just in the loading zone so that's a good time to practice getting walls/ramps up quickly. If someone is spamming you with an AR and shooting down everything you put up the best technique I've found is to run completely away from them while jumping - then while you jump turn 180 so that you are facing them and put down a wall/ramp and then a 180 back again facing away from them and repeat the process. You'll keep your momentum moving away from them in the jumps so each jump you'll be able to put down 1 wall and 1 ramp which is more than one AR can shoot down.

Offensive building is a lot harder to practice but mostly revolves around building ramps at your opponent - practice making your ramps 2 units wide so they are harder to shoot down - the goal here is to be able to run at full speed while making ramps that are 2-wide (if you're lucky with your placement you can even go 3-wide which is useful against squads). Another common mistake is to build higher than you need to - once you are 1-2 units above your opponent, switch to floors so that you don't gain unnecessary height and take extra fall damage. If you're building a ramp for aggressive cover in a firefight you can quickly build a wall in front of the last ramp (same height) - just to make it harder to shoot out the ramp from under you.

Any time you whiff something big like a pump shot and you think your opponent is going to kill you before the next shot - try to build a wall. Works more often than you might think.

Don't forget about edits either - using edits can let you do things like have a jump pad hidden behind your tower that you can access through a door - it can let you change stairs to face any direction, etc. Everything has a use, I even got a win with a window once. Watch high level builders like Myth or Ninja for inspiration.

Material selection hardly feels like it matters in a firefight - they all tend to go down as soon as you put them up - so always use wood in a firefight. Once the circle is small enough it usually is smart to find a good, central, highground spot and build a tower. When you are building these lategame structures make the bottom few floors out of your toughest mats and then the top out of wood. You can easily replace the top of your tower but a smart player will aim their rockets at base - fully built up metal takes 2 rockets to knock down instead of just 1.

Also I'm a huge goober so every game in the loading zone I edit the pyramid into my forward ramp and then I rotate the normal ramp twice so it faces down. This gives me both upwards and downwards ramps on different mouse buttons - also I like using the pyramid as my forward ramps for the edit options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zerilan posted:

Thanks. Any advice on building in combat? I don't really know much about differences in the material or really doing much beyond surrounding myself with walls on as many sides as I'm being hit from.

Wood - lowest HP, fastest build time, trees are everywhere and you can harvest hundreds of wood in no time at all. Good for spam building during a firefight because of the fast build time so it might soak an extra bullet or two.
Stone - middle HP/build time, rocks and buildings are pretty common.
Metal - highest hp, slowest build time. Bad to try and use when under fire but if you want to build something that will survive a direct hit from a rocket (or grenades) this is your go to material.

Some people are crazy good at being able to toss up a wall+stairs then swap to a gun as they're running up it so they can hop off and blast the person infront of/below them.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Well tried playing 7 days survive the storm. It wpuld be fun if i had teammates that didnt insist on building hundreds of wood walls with the middle window.

You had a case of "playing with loving idiots". I can't only imagine the misery of that.

Husk can only see 3 tiles in each direction, so any wall or building than is longer than 3 tiles will look impasable for the husk, so they will find the nearest wall and destroy it. The best you can do is to build with the idea to funnel the husks to kill tunnels or areas that are designed to make life easier for the players. I too think that elevated paths are a good idea, is more important to help players defend the base and do it with a advantage over the husks. Fortnite is more a Fort building game than a Turret Defense game, a good Fort is one that help the defenders actually defend.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I used to get way way too obsessed about building a perfect spot for a trap box.

Funnels are hugely important for wide spawn zones or two split spawn zones. If you can get enemies down to 1-2 tiles wide any decent ninja or soldier can solo that entire area and you cut down on all the enemies shooting at you.

If you get into some poo poo you can throw some traps on the walls really quickly. If you get into trouble it is much, much easier to build a funnel and get away.

Also there's no shame in panic walls like you're playing Battle Royale if you're taking serious damage.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 13, 2018

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
if you want to watch, my bud streams and is good at the video game

https://www.twitch.tv/konguh

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I just got killed by a someone under the map.

:wtf:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 14, 2018

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

squidgee posted:

Really sucks - stay away from Fatal Fields until Epic fixes the bug. If the circle closes there you might be screwed though.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

squidgee posted:

Same, pulled a purple scar first thing so I knew I'd die to some hosed up poo poo. Didn't expect anything like that though.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Super Rad posted:

Really sucks - stay away from Fatal Fields until Epic fixes the bug. If the circle closes there you might be screwed though.

Just happened to me in Anarchy Acres too. Man, that sucks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
this is obvious enough that its a non-post but battle royale with actual friends instead of being solo is a lot of fun. this is a good free game.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

squidgee posted:

Just happened to me in Anarchy Acres too. Man, that sucks.

The under the map exploits have been fixed in the map update, just report the dudes who kill and move on. They WILL be banned.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/7qjw5l/details_on_our_cheat_detection/

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

buglord posted:

this is obvious enough that its a non-post but battle royale with actual friends instead of being solo is a lot of fun. this is a good free game.

Completelly agree. I play with my cousin (9 years old) and we play to beat each another kill score and is hilarious fun.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

how do you all generally find groups for BR? is squad fill decent or better off playing solo?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Squad fill is pretty quick, from my experience. Only had one child screaming into his mic out of the handfuls of times I've done it.

Fake edit: has the big update happened yet? Been too busy to play this week

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I know most people hate playing with pubbies, but it's honestly been really entertaining hopping back into the public pool and chatting with drunks and shrill voiced children, with myself usually falling into the former category.

I really enjoy this game so far, the building really helps set it apart from pubg in a meaningful way that completely changes how the late game plays out and allows for some fun combat tactics. Closest I've gotten to a win is 5th place, and that was mostly a fluke.

Is there a good list of places to drop anywhere? I need to start learning the map and figure out where the tiny clusters of houses are that people don't usually drop at.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 18, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Squad fill is pretty quick, from my experience. Only had one child screaming into his mic out of the handfuls of times I've done it.

Fake edit: has the big update happened yet? Been too busy to play this week

Downtime currently. Here's hoping next week will bring actual PvE improvements as well, instead of just BR.

E: Downtime starts in ~10 minutes from this post.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Is there a good list of places to drop anywhere? I need to start learning the map and figure out where the tiny clusters of houses are that people don't usually drop at.

They just dropped an update that completely changes half the map an hour ago so it's going to be the wild west for a while, probably safer to drop on the east side since the west side is all the new hotness.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Seditiar posted:

Downtime currently. Here's hoping next week will bring actual PvE improvements as well, instead of just BR.

E: Downtime starts in ~10 minutes from this post.

After what's happening with Paragon and UT, if they don't start making some progress with the PvE they're going to start losing what few players they have. I get that BR is where the money is right now but it seems unwise to put all your eggs into one free to play basket, especially when you're allegedly trying to recreate your success with PvE in a few months. At the very least they could fix some of the major long-standing bugs.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
gently caress people are rude, I just want to explore the new map and assholes keep shooting me :11tea:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

After what's happening with Paragon and UT, if they don't start making some progress with the PvE they're going to start losing what few players they have. I get that BR is where the money is right now but it seems unwise to put all your eggs into one free to play basket, especially when you're allegedly trying to recreate your success with PvE in a few months. At the very least they could fix some of the major long-standing bugs.

Exactly my thoughts. In a perfect world they'd use this situation to get a shitload of money and then use a decent portion to properly (over)staff their other games again. Like, if we could be certain they'd do that, it wouldn't be so bad. But Epic's a business so it's only logical to not really look back. Not until BR starts slowing down anyway. Kinda saddens me, but I feel like quite a few devs from StW have left for BR. They used to churn way more content, and more importantly, solid fixes a few months ago. I love me some BR but currently it feels like it's literally killing my favorite game right now.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Counterpoint: Save the World sucks and BR owns

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Seditiar posted:

Exactly my thoughts. In a perfect world they'd use this situation to get a shitload of money and then use a decent portion to properly (over)staff their other games again. Like, if we could be certain they'd do that, it wouldn't be so bad. But Epic's a business so it's only logical to not really look back. Not until BR starts slowing down anyway. Kinda saddens me, but I feel like quite a few devs from StW have left for BR. They used to churn way more content, and more importantly, solid fixes a few months ago. I love me some BR but currently it feels like it's literally killing my favorite game right now.

I'd already cut back my PvE playtime back to basically doing dailies for v-bucks to spend in BR after hitting the Canny Valley grind, but this last patch just drives home how little of a poo poo they give about PvE now. They "improved" the UI by making it take up double the screen space for no reason, but the no teammate name/commander level bug that's been in since October is still present so you just get three useless bars and your mats taking up 1/8 the screen. Yet they made sure to fix the Christmas quest bug that gave you the 7 day storm rewards for completing the 3 day storm.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Do shotguns feel a bit weaker now or am I just playing like poo poo? I figure they'd mention any damage tweaks in the patch notes but I feel like something is different.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Everything in the loving game needs to do more damage except Jonesy, gas traps, and Dragon Slash.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Won my first game after a few days of playing with a single kill. Not sure why everyone is so insistent on killing people. Why do the work when other players will do it for free as you chill behind a rock?

It was a solo win in squad as well and i was hammered drunk. I'm pretty proud of that.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Everything in the loving game needs to do more damage except Jonesy, gas traps, and Dragon Slash.

Good news, they made it harder to farm bacon so you'll have a harder time spamming gas traps (or using energy ammo)

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I only use energy guns if I'm running low on everything else. It's such a waste. Nice buffer to do some runs with Dragon Slash though.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Energy ammo requiring bacon is a crime

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Having to make ammo as well as weapons that lose durability is kind of lovely really.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

At first I found it annoying, but now I kind of like having to craft weapons because you always end up with enough resources to make the weapon again and you may have leveled up the schematic in the meantime and it'll be better. I also like to cycle around what I'm using. I'm a couple of missions away from getting to Canny Valley and I have a few weapons at 20 and a couple at 25+ but I've been doing 40+ maps for a while and have over a stack of Malachite. Making ammo is kind of annoying but mostly due to taking some extra time every map. It seems like I'm only short on nuts and bolts when I've just made a big stack of traps but usually one city or industrial map later and I'm set.

My general plan for ammo management is to use weapons that are for the most part interchangeable but use different ammo types. For me this means a bolt action sniper rifle with heavy bullets, an AR with medium, and a burst AR with light. If both medium and light get low I trade in a death ray for a while or whatever. I'd also like to get one of those shotgun shell using sniper rifles but I haven't had the plans drop yet.

I'm more frustrated by schematic XP being so limited when you get such a wide selection of stuff to spend it on. I'd like to level up more weapons but I'm trying to stockpile XP since I have a lot more epic/legendary traps to evolve when I get to Canny Valley and end up with the higher end mats to use them. I know I can always open a lower level game to farm materials for trap making but I hope to get past that ASAP. I'm sure I'd get a bit more schematic XP if I recycled more weapons but since I got the big founder's package I have access to epic transforms and don't feel like recycling blue schematics as much as turning them into epics. This does still provide some schematic XP but it uses up research points so I don't spam it as much as I could.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I basically exclusively use my super shredder, energy sword, and rocket launchers at this point and mostly play ninja and soldier. Don't use nearly as much ammo when you can just dragon blade regular husks and one shot huskies with shredder headshots.

This is like mid canny valley and I'm power level 62 because I've been slacking on quests.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is it just me or do level 46 maps in Canny really drop around 50-100% more resources than the lower level stuff in Plankerton?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is it just me or do level 46 maps in Canny really drop around 50-100% more resources than the lower level stuff in Plankerton?

Out of chests (like Pure Drops of Rain)? Because yep. Twine Peaks gives 16 Pure Drops for a level 5-6 chest. If you mean in the actual game: I don't think so.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

Out of chests (like Pure Drops of Rain)? Because yep. Twine Peaks gives 16 Pure Drops for a level 5-6 chest. If you mean in the actual game: I don't think so.

Check out ore/planks/nuts and bolts. It feels juiced.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life
After playing for just a few days, came in first in BR squads with some randoms. I died 10 minutes earlier thanks to being loud while enemies were around, but one of the people on my squad pulled it out. Our lone survivor ended up hiding in a tree for a few minutes near the end. The other two remaining squads had their final big shootout, and then my squadmate sniped the other survivors and won.

Feels good, I think?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I've only played for a few days - is the bush a new thing, or has that always been there? I got two bushes in one game and it felt like a cartoon with the constant stalking and the enemy looking behind them.

Then some rear end in a top hat sees a walking bush and fucks you up...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ada shatan posted:

I've only played for a few days - is the bush a new thing, or has that always been there? I got two bushes in one game and it felt like a cartoon with the constant stalking and the enemy looking behind them.

Then some rear end in a top hat sees a walking bush and fucks you up...

Been around for awhile. It is pretty rare.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Is there a separate discord for BR or is the one in the op for Save the World and BR? It'd be nice to have people to group up with to do squad challenges.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got my first #1 game

Blew up the last two guys simultaneously with a grenade launcher :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

You can fail Fight the Storm (any, but higher cat is better) 3 times and you'll get a ton of rewards. A ton being 13 pure drops of rain, while a 5 chest radar grid at that level gives 16.

Takes about 10-12 minutes including loading screens while solo for a cat 3. Ideally in CV/TP as you have airborne atlases there and you can destroy structural support after the wave starts, instead of waiting for Husks to destroy an atlas 3 times. Third time destroyed = loss = chest = ~75% of the rewards. I'm sure they'll plug it soon, but it hasn't widespread yet. Someone did ask about it on the subreddit, so I'm guessing sooner or later someone will spill the beans there.

E: If it wasn't obvious, the map does have to have the pure drops reward. :v:
E2: Ride the Lightning might be better, have to test that one still.
E3: Definitely feels like only evolve mats work this way, only getting like 3500 schem exp out of the atlas ones, which is 30% of a normal map at best. Ride the Lightning gave 1800, normally easily 12k+ so it's probably only Storm maps.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread