Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Well, when you're right, you're right, we'd better have Candice win the women's Rumble and Gargano win the men's, then have them win the Raw Women's and Universal Titles. It's the only possible solution.

Nothing is going to illustrate how messed up Vince's 'gotta work the dirt sheets, gotta be a SURPRISE!' notion is than the reaction Ciampa's gonna get when he comes out next Saturday. Literally every person in the arena knows it's going to happen, and it doesn't matter, because it's the way the story has to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Gaz-L posted:

Nothing is going to illustrate how messed up Vince's 'gotta work the dirt sheets, gotta be a SURPRISE!' notion is than the reaction Ciampa's gonna get when he comes out next Saturday. Literally every person in the arena knows it's going to happen, and it doesn't matter, because it's the way the story has to end.

I figure there's a greater-than-zero chance they keep the belt on Cien due to heel shenanigans and then do a rematch in New Orleans tbh

more or less depends on what else they would like to do for a main event for that show. Cole vs Gargano, maybe, assuming Cole wins his match against Alister? Alister vs Gargano would be a fun face vs face, I guess, but WWE's always weird about those matchups

(...is Ciampa gonna be healed by Mania)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

I agree with you in principle, I disagree a little in this particular example. We know Ciampa's gonna show up, but we don't know how. Is he gonna attack Gargano to cost him the match, or is Gargano gonna win and then Ciampa jumps him while he celebrates, ala Owens attacking Zayn or Cole attacking McIntyre?

abraham linksys posted:

(...is Ciampa gonna be healed by Mania)

I think when he left, the prediction was early 2018?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think Ciampa is close to coming back

E: Even if he was, I think people are working themselves a little too much. With extremely rare exceptions (enough that they stand out), NXT title matches almost always have clean finishes without run-ins. I expect Almas to win because Johnny can afford it, and whatever they do with Gargano and Ciampa, it's probably not involving the belt.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 18, 2018

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh my god I just realized I misread "Ciampa coming out" as "Gargano winning" somehow I am not awake enough to post about wrestling :v:

but I guess my point still stands, just replace "Cien heel shenangians" with "Ciampa distraction to allow Cien to get the pin on Johnny"

Benne posted:

E: Even if he was, I think people are working themselves a little too much. With extremely rare exceptions (enough that they stand out), NXT title matches almost always have clean finishes. I expect Almas to win because Johnny can afford it, and whatever they do with Gargano and Ciampa, it's probably not involving the belt.

I think if Ciampa's ready to work by Mania, it'd make sense to make it a title match, but I bet that's not a call they could make yet, and they wouldn't have much of a backup plan

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i mean really how healthy do you have to be to walk out and kill johnny gargano with a samurai sword

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, I never said Johnny wouldn't win clean. I just assume Ciampa then comes out, murders him, and maybe steals the belt.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

i mean really how healthy do you have to be to walk out and kill johnny gargano with a samurai sword

Mauro: MAMA MIA, GARGANO LOSING BLOOD FASTER THAN THE SAINTS' LOSE THEIR SEASON AFTER A CATCH FROM QUANDRE DIGGS
Nigel McGuinness: LOOK AT THE CLEAN MOTION IN CIAMPA'S STROKE, BRILLIANT!
Percy Watson: Whoa.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/953860972531408896

Hanson and Rowe look so weird with normal clothes and no makeup

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

I think the only other thing that stuck out to me with the Lacey Evans/Aliyah/Shayna thing was that Ember cut yet another god awful promo. Just give her a manager or something at this point because she's never going to improve.

Ember's promo was good and your ridiculous hateboner for her is the funniest thing about PSP

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rarity posted:

Ember's promo was good and your ridiculous hateboner for her is the funniest thing about PSP

I have no problem with Ember's in ring work. It is actually great.

But her promo skills have not improved at all since joining NXT. She either sounds like a robot or has no inflection.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Go on......

Edit: holy poo poo, it's in Royal Oak at the music theatre :aaa:

They had their last house show there as well. I had a great time, so now I'm gonna have to get tickets to this one!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rarity posted:

Eh, it wasn't great. Nothing she says sounds natural, still. It felt like she was trying to be/sound like a scary bad rear end and it felt forced.

On the other hand, I'm stoked TM61 is getting the Roderick video treatment. Hopefully it'll result in everyone actually having a reason to be interested in them.

Anyone else thinking AOP lose at Takeover and get called up to avoid having too many big guy teams with War Machine coming in?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

On the other hand, I'm stoked TM61 is getting the Roderick video treatment. Hopefully it'll result in everyone actually having a reason to be interested in them.

y'know, I was skeptical when they did it for Roddy, but it worked out over time, so maybe it'll work for them too. the one thing is I kinda wish they waited until after TM61 had returned for a couple squashes to start doing it, be able to show current ring work and those packages side by side, but eh I guess it'll maybe help pop the crowd for their return

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TM61 is getting a name change.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rovert posted:

oh, this is very good to hear

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope they get a personality

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I still want no Ciampa on Saturday, but both Gargano and Ciampa in the Rumble...

But I'll take any Ciampa return I can get.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

Good, I was tired of them never teaching anyone Will O Wisp.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I always wanted to like TM61 but they never gave me a reason to care in their last run, so this is a nice refresher.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

My idea is to make one of TM61 turn on the other one and have them interfere in eachothers' matches about 8 times each. Purpose: To Continue Feud. afterward, they will both have enough overness to be mid-carders on the main roster. i don't know if things have changed but this worked extremely well when it was free and accessible to book wrestling in 2002.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Benne posted:

I always wanted to like TM61 but they never gave me a reason to care in their last run, so this is a nice refresher.

I thought the match they had with AOP was really good and opened up a few eyes, but that was one of their last matches before Shanes knee surgery

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The problem with TM61 right now is if they debuted without a gimmick change or anything, they would probably be dead in the water. Especially with War Machine, AOP, Sanity, Heavy Machinery, etc all floating around still.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, TM61 kind of bombed when there was like 2 tag teams on NXT, and now there's actually a fairly robust division. They should probably have stayed in Japan. Maybe Roppongi 3K would have a second team to wrestle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
TM61 had a very good match with AoP (that was justifiably overshadowed by DIY/Revival 2/3 Falls) and I vaguely recall they were headed into a feud with Revival before they needed surgery? That probably would've been starmaking for them.

Like, I don't care one way or the other but I'm very willing to give these two the benefit of the doubt, purely because NXT's Tag Team Division can't seem to stop hitting home runs, so why would it stop now?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The tag division can always use a little-guy babyface team, and right now the only other little-guy team is Fish/O'Reilly (also Lorcan/Burch but they can't buy TV time right now :( ), so TM61 should have a spot without much trouble.

The soft-focus feature did wonders in getting people to care about Roddy, so I don't see why it'd be any different here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That stuff seems to just do gangbusters in general, which kinda makes you wonder why they never do it on the main roster!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, TM61 kind of bombed when there was like 2 tag teams on NXT, and now there's actually a fairly robust division. They should probably have stayed in Japan. Maybe Roppongi 3K would have a second team to wrestle.

They were getting over before Shane got injured.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mNBuY5LAPo

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man, I hate crowds talking over wrestlers trying to talk in the ring but darn good speech from Joey.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TM61 had good momentum off of that Takeover match and then Shane got hurt. I don't really see how it's fair to make any kind of assessment of them at this point.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

rovert posted:

They were getting over before Shane got injured.

i remember being genuinely impressed with them with the finals of the dusty classic, dealing with the weird shark cage structure and a greener Authors of Pain. Also I hope they just get renamed, "The Mighty".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shane did the cool high spot and the other guy demonstrated good power for a guy w/ his frame, so it was cool

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i remember being genuinely impressed with them with the finals of the dusty classic, dealing with the weird shark cage structure and a greener Authors of Pain. Also I hope they just get renamed, "The Mighty".
Yeah Nick was just chucking the AOP with suplexes and Shane did a pretty crazy dive early on to get the crowd into it. I think as far as personality goes, while I would say Nick is pretty bland/boring, Shane has it in spades.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Was there an issue with them being called TMDK or were they just victims of NXT's wishy washy naming conventions? Did they expect EA was gonna sue them over an ancient trademark?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They weren't big enough indie draws for them to keep their names, which means a complete renaming in WWE terms. They used the phrase as a catchphrase for a couple of weeks, I think.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Was there an issue with them being called TMDK or were they just victims of NXT's wishy washy naming conventions? Did they expect EA was gonna sue them over an ancient trademark?

It is a long explanation but essentially that's the case but I don't think EA is a factor.

However, Shane and Mikey are looking to secure TMDK for themselves independently.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

They weren't big enough indie draws for them to keep their names, which means a complete renaming in WWE terms. They used the phrase as a catchphrase for a couple of weeks, I think.

They still use it in packages

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rovert posted:

It is a long explanation but essentially that's the case but I don't think EA is a factor.

However, Shane and Mikey are looking to secure TMDK for themselves independently.

are they looking for the trademark in the US only? it seems to still be in use in Australia; I was pretty bemused when I watched Okada/Slex and Slex was announced as part of TMDK since I didn't realize it was a stable beyond Shane and Mikey

too bad WWE would never be chill enough to let a Los Ingobernables de Japon situation arise with TMDK in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Looking forward to TM61's new shirt: TM61! Like the Undisputed Era, but less so!

• Locked thread