Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'd presume an upgraded Starbase would also count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Catching up on the thread and looking at the pretty hyperlane maps, I think the one thing I'd like to be added alongside the FTL rework is for there to be some "isolated" systems that aren't connected to the hyperlane map, but can only be reached through Wormholes, Repaired Gateways, or god forbid, the new Jump Drives (where you can then construct a gate yourself). The stars would be visible on the map from the start, just inaccessible, and therefore whats inside would be a mystery. Could influence some territory grabbing (or wars) if you want to chance claiming the area around them.

Ideally these would be, like, "prize systems", containing things like more abundant resources, untouched medium-large Gaia worlds, or super-ancient debris you can scan for a jump-start of certain technologies. The higher up the tree the tech needed to reach it, the better the prize for busting it open. Of course you could also, say, piss off a planet of extreme isolationists who severed the hyperlanes deliberately, or a big space nasty trapped in a makeshift prison which you just broke wide open.

I just like the idea of seeing a pristine system shining all on its own and wondering what it contains.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that people should try reading the dev diaries.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I like the look of Marauder khans, but I'm worried that 100yrs is a bit far in for it. Although...Cherryh has enough radical changes that expansion and tech rates are affected, even discounting the tech tree being stretched out a bit.

In b4 a horde satrapy's a FE and gains ridiculous naval cap

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I like the look of Marauder khans, but I'm worried that 100yrs is a bit far in for it. Although...Cherryh has enough radical changes that expansion and tech rates are affected, even discounting the tech tree being stretched out a bit.

In b4 a horde satrapy's a FE and gains ridiculous naval cap

Wiz (I think) mentioned the other day that they're looking into a crises start date slider for galaxy generation

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

turn off the TV posted:

Wiz (I think) mentioned the other day that they're looking into a crises start date slider for galaxy generation

Actual video of my opinion of adding more sliders, options and toggles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSezK6_N5w&t=138s

Never not add more sliders

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So after someone mentioned the FTL rework I went back and read all the Cherryh dev diaries, and I gotta say...

Every single one of these changes are good. Now I am psyched for Stellaris 2.0.

I will kind of miss spamming border range upgrades to the point where I own the galactic core and start punching holes in the continuous borders of other empires, but it's a small price to pay.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yes, turning into a gigantic, amorphous blob by the end of the game that isolates other empire's planets and poached their space stations will be missed.

But it'll be a lot easier to figure out what's really yours and better protect your own resources under the new system.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any thoughts on changing how different AI react as you grow in strength? So some will begin to do everything they can to oppose you whilst other try and get into your good graces.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
I had a fleet battle with an awakened empire, my fleet size was slightly above theirs and we duked it out for a bit and both took heavy losses with them coming out worse until they jumped out. The only issue is that although my fleet consists of all ship sizes, 99% of the losses were to my battleships, like over half of them.

Other people in the thread talked about the smaller ships dying first while the expensive big ships get saved but that hasn't happened to me, any clue why? It's going to be very expensive to replace them and if I could not have that happen in the next battle that would be nice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Felix_Cat posted:

I had a fleet battle with an awakened empire, my fleet size was slightly above theirs and we duked it out for a bit and both took heavy losses with them coming out worse until they jumped out. The only issue is that although my fleet consists of all ship sizes, 99% of the losses were to my battleships, like over half of them.

Other people in the thread talked about the smaller ships dying first while the expensive big ships get saved but that hasn't happened to me, any clue why? It's going to be very expensive to replace them and if I could not have that happen in the next battle that would be nice.

Impossible to say without knowing your designs, also I believe different fallen empires have different ship designs as well (why oh why can't we look at the designs in game??). Some FE's use really strike-craft heavy fleets so unless you have a ton of PD and fighters yourself you might get chewed up.

But my go-to design strategy is just having 2 battleship designs. An artillery design that's all kinetic, maybe the big spinal gun but some nerd spread sheets say it's not optimal, and a PD/Fighter battleship that's loaded with fighters, PD, and plasma. They tend to chew most things up. When ever I'd try to go for more "realistic" balanced fleets everything except the battleships would just get chewed up and constantly replacing them was a clicky pain.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
As a rule of thumb, bigger guns tend to target bigger ships. It would depend on the fleet design in question, but as I recall, Fallen Empires don't even get a corvette equivalent. If their fleet is all spinal mounts and large guns with no carriers, it's going to almost exclusively target your battleships and cruisers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Felix_Cat posted:

Fallen/Awakened Empire ships are different from regular ships, and have different weapons available. They tend to go heavy on big low-accuracy weapons that absolutely devastate battleships, and their biggest ships mount special guns that could potentially one-shot a battleship. As a result, they tend to inflict much higher casualties to battleships than normal empires do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just took over the fallen empire near me while playing as determined exterminators.

There aren't any more near me but there sure are a few blank spots on the other side of the galaxy that might wake up and start things off... on the other side of the galaxy! :

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Could always use some more sliders

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hum... that's far too many sliders. Could we have a slider added to the top to determine the number of sliders there are in the galaxy creation screen?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If there isn't a space whale slider then 2.0 is a sham.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I feel that there is not enough randomization toggles.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If there isn't a space whale slider then 2.0 is a sham.

Turn them up to 11. The Prethoyrn show up to a giant pod of space whales capable of covering entire star systems.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

I feel that there is not enough randomization toggles.

This is also true

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
There should be a toggle to randomise the number of sliders in the set-up menu.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Think bigger: procedurally generated sliders and toggles

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What about a slider that determines how many clicks it takes to perform tasks in-game?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Improbable Lobster posted:

Think bigger: procedurally generated sliders and toggles

will they depend on our empire's ethics, too? :argh:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The sliderists faction is conducting a purge of the toggleodytes in your empire!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am mostly waiting for 2.0 to hop back in again. I don't want to be midway through a game and then be forced to restart because the new shinies are out.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
You could always pin to 1.9 until your current game is over.

Or console in all of the crises once 2.0 drops, and watch as your 1.9 game burns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IAmTheRad posted:

I am mostly waiting for 2.0 to hop back in again. I don't want to be midway through a game and then be forced to restart because the new shinies are out.

You could get through many full large galaxy games by the time 2.0 comes out. This is either comforting or horrible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I am down with the Distant Worlds influence here. I am also down with sliders and toggles.

And yeah 2.0 is still some time away so you should be fine playing if you are worried about saves breaking. If you're REALLY worried, play on a smaller galaxy, maybe go cheevo hunting?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GunnerJ posted:

It kinda looks like Satrapy status is just a modifier.

but will they try to take my vassals to be their own satraps then???

*grips 12 dozen 1 system empires to my bosom, like when animal control goes after a geriatric cat woman* "Not my babies!! I love 'em! They need ME to take care of 'em!!"

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I wish they didn't Nerf the devouring swarm so they you couldn't shift in and out of it. I thought it was cool that the strengths of a hive mind was how adaptable it was compared to all the other empires. At any point you could totally shift into being whatever the most useful government you needed at the time.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

ITs pretty weird to see a fallen empire with the same species as yours
Talk about an existential crisis

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

gowb posted:

I had that happen once, my Commonwealth of Man run started with me next door to the Human Remnant Xenophobic FE. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but they seemed a bit more tolerant of me than your average Xenophobic FE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'd love it if the game gave me the ability to disassemble all these relic frigates with ultra-badass equipment.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd love it if the game gave me the ability to disassemble all these relic frigates with ultra-badass equipment.

I know several other games that give you a choice if using your kickass new prize immediately or allowing you to strip it for a research bonus, always struck me as weird you couldn't do that in Stellaris.

If you send it out alone to get blown part by an enemy you may get lucky and can salvage a bit of it later.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I know several other games that give you a choice if using your kickass new prize immediately or allowing you to strip it for a research bonus, always struck me as weird you couldn't do that in Stellaris.

If you send it out alone to get blown part by an enemy you may get lucky and can salvage a bit of it later.

I think it would be great if the story dynamically determined the technology and you could either get a salvage bonus on a random system one level above what you already have or get a ship with maxed out tech like it currently does.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Reveilled posted:

I had that happen once, my Commonwealth of Man run started with me next door to the Human Remnant Xenophobic FE. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but they seemed a bit more tolerant of me than your average Xenophobic FE.

Xenophobes get a smaller modifier against creatures of the same type as them, and an even smaller one against creatures with the same portrait. Possibly they can also tell if you're the same species, but they'll obviously still hate you some.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Xenophobes get a smaller modifier against creatures of the same type as them, and an even smaller one against creatures with the same portrait. Possibly they can also tell if you're the same species, but they'll obviously still hate you some.

Really? I noticed the same-portrait thing but never the same type. So like a human xenophobe will be less xenophobic against space elves than they will be against space birds?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

gowb posted:

I literally had Human Forerunners (enigmatic observers) as my first contact for a UNE game. I like to think the response to first contact by my empire was basically :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Yvonmukluk posted:

I literally had Human Forerunners (enigmatic observers) as my first contact for a UNE game. I like to think the response to first contact by my empire was basically :staredog:

You just KNOW the Forerunners were all smilingly mysterious about it, too. "Why, yes, it iS interesting that we look the same, isn't it? How remarkable. What a mystery! Good luck working it out!"

• Locked thread