Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Has anyone said 10 to 20 for the chairman yet

I think someone said 10 to life for the chairman earlier, but 10 to 20 is still available for you to claim or call.

Dogeh posted:

Leonard French has already not read it and ready to stream about it on Youtube

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Golli posted:

Which is higher on the JACKED scale - ON or TO ?

Whichever is higher should be reserved for the 9th.

Jacked ON the tits is clearly higher than jacked TO the tits from a psychological angle.
Jacked TO the tits is more important if you're just concerned about physics.

I'm mostly interested in matters of the mind, so for me, Jacked ON the Tits is more impressive than TO.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ohhhh wow!!!
:chloe:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is Leonard French a backer or just a bad lawyer

Edit: he's just skipped over "and squadron" to avoid making it clear Chris was talking about it as a separate game lol

He is a backer. He shows the same faith based reasoning that the stereotypical "true believers" do except he is either dishonest or delusional enough to try and pretend he is some blind justice weighing the scales of this lawsuit while having an extremely clear bias.

"I'm impartial on this subject. Speaking purely neutrally. I'm speaking as an experienced lawyer who is not taking sides to give a fair look at this subject and be impartial

.......so obviously every possible outcome in any possible conflict is the best case scenario for Cloud Imperium Games."

Backers eat this poo poo up because it's an "authority" reinforcing their views. That "authority" asserts itself as neutral and unbiased so therefore when it takes their side that means they are really, totally and truly in the right.

It would be funny if it were something like bitcoin where a lawyer spins some kind of regulation as being a good thing for bitcoin because that's how his bias flows but this is about thousands of mentally ill people being scammed. Now that courts are involved and may indirectly save these people from themselves one of the idiots being scammed has taken the lead on reassuring everyone that they will still allowed to be scammed.

Bonus points for anyone that tries to sue this guy after bankruptcy "Because he said everything was fine! He is a lawyer! He said everything was fine!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

thatguy posted:

Should I buy my tickets now? I was told by a very reliable source with a very many aliases that this was a big nothingburger.

The court will sell 20 tickets at a time starting at the intervals of 1,3,5 PM EST for $350 each.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Two and a half pages devoted to "wrong company" defense. Nice.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

TheAgent posted:

not only settle, but settle and remove every and all aspect of cryengine code from their game, including improvements or forks from the original code

How will this work?

I mean... If Lumberyard is 97% Cryengine code (I have no idea of the actual difference between the two engines, but AFAIK Lumberyard has some code changes for improved networking, the rest is the same).

If you take some Lumberyard source code (for example a rendering library), that apart from the Lumberyard copyright notice at the top, is identical to the CryEngine source, can CryTek argue that this is CryEngine source code, and demand its removal?

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 19, 2018

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I hope all the Reddit Faithful buy many spaceship JPEGs to reaffirm to themselves and others that CIG has got this.

Dear Reddit please buy more spaceships.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
If development is amiss you must dismiss.

Hire me for your legal team, Chris. I'm not really a lawyer but then neither are you really a game developer.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Raskolnikov posted:

I hope all the Reddit Faithful buy many spaceship JPEGs to reaffirm to themselves and others that CIG has got this.

Dear Reddit please buy more spaceships.

They should also send a bunch of money to youtube lawyer patreons.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait what, that poo poo just came out 5 minutes ago, and now I'm gonna miss a Leonard stream?

Trust me, you aren't missing much except almost limitless stupidity from the chat.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I hope that guy thinks that’s going to happen. Because I love crazy people and their crazy antics. :allears:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

quote:

It is well settled that parties can manifest acceptance of a contract by
3 their conduct. E.g., Long v. Authentic Athletix LLC, No. 16-cv-03129-JSC, 2017 WL
4 6493094, at *3 (N.D. Cal. Dec. 19, 2017) (citing Russell v. Union Oil Co., 7 Cal.
5 App. 3d 110, 114 (1970) ("Acceptance of an offer . . . may be manifested by conduct
6 as well as by words . . . .")). And Defendants are also equitably estopped from
7 claiming the benefits of a contract while simultaneously attempting to avoid the
8 burdens that the contract imposes. Comer v. Micor, Inc., 436 F.3d 1098, 1101 (9th
9 Cir. 2006) (quoting Wash. Mut. Fin. Grp., LLC v. Bailey, 364 F.3d 260, 267 (5th Cir.
10 2004)). Here, RSI accepted (and exceeded) the benefits of the GLA by using and
11 publishing Crytek's technology. RSI therefore accepted the GLA and further is
12 equitably estopped from denying that it is bound by that agreement.

If RSI Is Not A Party To The GLA, Then Crytek's
Claims For Copyright Infringement Are Even Stronger
Defendants' suggestion that RSI is not bound by the GLA ignores the
16 implications that holding would have for Crytek's claims of copyright infringement.
17 If the Court determines that RSI is not bound by the GLA, then RSI was not
18 authorized to obtain Crytek's code: RSI is not included on Exhibit 3 to the GLA,
19 which lists the "[a]uthorized third party developer(s)" who are entitled to receive
20 access to Crytek's technology pursuant to Section 2.6 of the GLA. (GLA Ex. 3 at
21 19.) If RSI is not a party to the GLA, then CIG had no license to distribute Crytek's
22 technology to RSI. And a fortiori, RSI had no license to (for example) publish
23 Crytek's source code through the "Bugsmashers" videos hosted on RSI's web site.

Wrong company? Burned.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

If Skadden's assertion that Ortwin never mentioned his co-founder status with CIG is accurate, and I don't see why it would not be, that's probably what Derek was talking about. Would the warlord like to confirm or deny this?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Backers eat this poo poo up because it's an "authority" reinforcing their views. That "authority" asserts itself as neutral and unbiased so therefore when it takes their side that means they are really, totally and truly in the right.

And then at the end the authority links his Patreon.

Circle of life.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

"All rise," bellowed the bailiff.

A tired, annoyed judge, hunched over, walks in. He doesn't look at the defendants, nor the plaintiffs, nor the audience. He knows how this is going to go. He just has to get through it, he tells himself.

"You may be seated," he says, his voice tailing off into a sigh. Exasperation had gripped him for a week, and he saw no use in hiding it today.

"Now, we begin today wi-," he starts, but an airhorn blows from the back of the room. His temper had already risen all morning. He was just waiting for one poke to push him over the edge.

"THE COURT WILL BE IN ORDER!" he shouts, slamming the gavel down again and again, tripling in noise with every slam, every second.

"ya whoa," someone mutters from the back.

The judge's eye quivers, a vein protrudes from his temple. "Excuse me?" he asks, incredulously.

"ya whoa did ehp did eh woah did," said the timid voice again, but louder. Giggles are heard from the general area.

"ORDER, ORDER, I WILL NOT HAVE THESE DISRU-!" he tries to exclaim, cut off by a short burst of another airhorn, from a different corner.

"LET HIM loving FINISH!" growls Derek Smart through convulsions of laughter, tears streaming down his face.

Oh dear. :lol:

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Youtube lawyer looks a bit lost.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Somebody with mega Google fu skills needs to dig out Chris’s old rambling asides about possibly licensing their heavily modified engine to other parties. I’m pretty sure that was a brief Croberts fever dream from a couple years back, and I’m not the only person who remembers it that way.

The theorycrafters were still running wild with that lunacy in the months leading up to the lawsuit. But I think Chris kicked that off with some ill-chosen bloviating way back when, I just haven’t found the source yet.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

who will be in the court audience with me. I will buy us hotdogs on the court steps like we're in law & order: space edition

I would totally do that if it wasn't for the fact that I would have to cross the Atlantic and the entirety of the North American continent to get there. I'll be there in parp spirit, though, or something

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

He is a backer. He shows the same faith based reasoning that the stereotypical "true believers" do except he is either dishonest or delusional enough to try and pretend he is some blind justice weighing the scales of this lawsuit while having an extremely clear bias.

"I'm impartial on this subject. Speaking purely neutrally. I'm speaking as an experienced lawyer who is not taking sides to give a fair look at this subject and be impartial

.......so obviously every possible outcome in any possible conflict is the best case scenario for Cloud Imperium Games."

It would be funny if it were something like bitcoin where a lawyer spins some kind of regulation as being a good thing for bitcoin because that's how his bias flows but this is about thousands of mentally ill people being scammed. Now that courts are involved and may indirectly save these people from themselves one of the idiots being scammed has taken the lead on reassuring everyone that they will still allowed to be scammed.

Bonus points for anyone that tries to sue this guy after bankruptcy "Because he said everything was fine! He is a lawyer! He said everything was fine!"

It's probably a lot simpler than that. Does the guy saying Star Citizen is good and the dream is safe have a Patreon account? Because apparently there's a lot of money to be made in telling the permanent victims of Chris Roberts what they want to hear.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

quote:

Exhibit 2

Star Citizen is not a game, it is a destination

loving lol.

Star Citizen: Exhibit 2: SC is not a game, it's a destination

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Defendants' interpretation of the word "exclusively" in Section 2.1.2 is that
18 Crytek gave only Defendants — not some unrelated third party — the right to embed
19 CryEngine in Defendants' game Star Citizen. (Defts.' Br. at 9.) That is absurd: How
20 could Crytek license a third party to do anything at all with Defendants' software?
21 Defendants admit: "Obviously CIG could never have a document that even remotely
22 suggests Crytek could grant somebody else the right to embed the Engine in the
23 Game." (Id. (emphasis as in original).) Accordingly, Defendants' suggestion that the
24 parties added the word "exclusively" to prevent Crytek from allowing some third
25 party to develop Defendants' software is nonsense.

:lol:

Now I'm rubbing.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

not only settle, but settle and remove every and all aspect of cryengine code from their game, including improvements or forks from the original code

SC changing engines is an exclusive good thing for the project.
If Erin can get Chris off his fidelity horse and port the assets into Unity they might have a playable alpha in 2029.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bofast posted:

If Skadden's assertion that Ortwin never mentioned his co-founder status with CIG is accurate, and I don't see why it would not be, that's probably what Derek was talking about. Would the warlord like to confirm or deny this?

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. His waiver doesn't disclose it. That's why Crytek even made it an issue.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if CIG/RSI/etc goes belly up does that mean that documents that partner companies have legal or ethical obligations to withhold might start leaking out to the wild (like the Letter to AMD or whatever that was)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
“I’m being told there is no Squadron 42 that is separate...”

You are an idiot being fed revisionist lies by anonymous deluded Zealots on a YouTube stream, French.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
reddit backer: THEY AREN't loving SEPERATE GAMES

CIG: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Standalone-Pledge

lol

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if CIG/RSI/etc goes belly up does that mean that documents that partner companies have legal or ethical obligations to withhold might start leaking out to the wild (like the Letter to AMD or whatever that was)

Oh please let us read The Letter :pray:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I really need to take my time with this, tho yea atm it's basically just Skadden's reply and we'll see what comes of it, but this one:

quote:

Defendants rely on Justice Holmes's remark, quoted in a concurring and dissenting opinion in Freeman, that entering into a contract "means a prediction that you must pay damages if you do not keep it." 11 Cal. 4th at 106. Here, Defendants make the remarkable argument that notwithstanding having intentionally breached the GLA they could never be required to pay any damages at all. (Defts.' Br. at 13.)

...is easily my favorite. CIG confirmed using literally the same bullshit arguments they use to handwave away refund requests in a legal fight that could very well cost them millions. :laffo:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

No you don't understand it's basically like a lootbox skin it's part of the base game but you can't access it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Somebody with mega Google fu skills needs to dig out Chris’s old rambling asides about possibly licensing their heavily modified engine to other parties. I’m pretty sure that was a brief Croberts fever dream from a couple years back, and I’m not the only person who remembers it that way.

The theorycrafters were still running wild with that lunacy in the months leading up to the lawsuit. But I think Chris kicked that off with some ill-chosen bloviating way back when, I just haven’t found the source yet.

I remember this, but I’m not sure if it was CIG directly or rampant backers coming up with ways CIG could be self sustaining after the :lol: release of Star Citizen based on the fact there was no subscription model and no way for CIG to actually keep the doors open once the jpegs could be purchased in game instead of with real money on a pay to play website.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Are we sure hes a backer and not some paid CIG shill though?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gejnor posted:

Dude said so himself. He hasn't actually played the game, though; his computer can't handle it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Skadden's researchers could probably make a 30 minute montage of CIG people talking about "developing 2 AAA games"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

It's probably a lot simpler than that. Does the guy saying Star Citizen is good and the dream is safe have a Patreon account? Because apparently there's a lot of money to be made in telling the permanent victims of Chris Roberts what they want to hear.

Yeah that is right too.

Sarsapariller posted:

And then at the end the authority links his Patreon.

Circle of life.

All you need to do is look at the changes from his first stream to this one. He went from scheduling a short stream a few days after the news broke to immediately streaming any court updates minutes after they happen for 4x the amount of time.

I guess I wouldn't fault him for smelling the money but it gets pretty exploitative when you are reinforcing a scam to the victims of that scam.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Defendants' interpretation would also require the Court to entertain the
4 dubious assumption that the parties negotiated and executed a detailed twenty-four-
5 page agreement intending that no party could ever actually enforce that agreement by
6 seeking damages for breach. The Court should not accept a construction that would
7 make the entire GLA illusory.

Leonard French, get on this.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens posted:

We jacked too greedily and too deep and have awoken an ancient edging.

Oh no, we unleashed the Blue Ballrog again :ohdear:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Gejnor posted:

Yeah - he disclosed it on his December stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress, you can buy squadron 42 without buying into star citizen

you can play (supposedly) sq42 without buying star citizen

how is it DLC

goddamn you loving idiots. goddamn