Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

irlZaphod posted:

I don't want to derail the thread, but I do feel that Ireland has a bit of a growing problem with racists (as much of Europe does) because of the refugee crisis and just the general influx of immigrants over the past 20 years or so. It's largely a different kind of racism to what Black Lightning is going to deal with though, judging by the pilot.

I think it's 13 episodes, it's going to be sharing the timeslot with Legends of Tomorrow.

No, Supergirl and Legends are sharing the Monday time slot this spring in some crazy back and forth swapping scheme that makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod is correct that BL is getting 13 episodes, however.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Selachian posted:

irlZaphod is correct that BL is getting 13 episodes, however.

Good. Hopefully that means a tighter story with less room to gently caress it up.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sir Potato posted:

The BL suit is great but I'd prefer it if Pierce just used that three-piece suit for the rest of the season, thank you very much.

Really, really good start. Am super hyped for this now.

Yeah, he looked more bad rear end in the three-piece suit than his power suit.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I'm not a fan of the costume. It looks like he's going to play laser tag.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I dont know posted:

Well he pretty much does :v:

"Tag you're it!"
https://i.imgur.com/aYlgOgN.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 18, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I dont know posted:

More like tazer tag.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

More like tazer tag.

Aww, I thought that said tazer lag initially and I was like gently caress YEAH NEW THREAD TITLE!! :byodood:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alter Ego posted:

Uh, yes? Black Lightning isn't exactly a DC A-lister, so a lot of people watching are going to have no idea how he came to be.
So what? What do you need to know that wasn't already covered?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'll spoil his comics origin for you, because it's great:

He has lightning powers. Why? I dunno, he just does. Some people just have weird loving abilities, that's the DC Universe.

Sometimes there doesn't need to be a complicated answer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mulva posted:

I'll spoil his comics origin for you, because it's great:

He has lightning powers. Why? I dunno, he just does. Some people just have weird loving abilities, that's the DC Universe.

Sometimes there doesn't need to be a complicated answer.

As far as I know, it's never been explained. It's just something he's always been able to do. He didn't start his superheroing until his dad was murdered.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Marvel has mutants, DC has metahumans, but it's pretty much the same. Some people are just born with or develop super powers. If they they have kids, typically the kids will also get super powers. :shrug:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

irlZaphod posted:

I think it's 13 episodes, it's going to be sharing the timeslot with Legends of Tomorrow.

Legends is sharing timeslots with Supergirl for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zebulon posted:

Legends is sharing timeslots with Supergirl for some reason.

So it doesn't end its season 2 months before Flash and Arrow do because it has like 6 fewer episodes than a year than they do. But yeah it actually doesn't make any sense because it fucks over Supergirl more than anything.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

nine-gear crow posted:

But yeah it actually doesn't make any sense because it fucks over Supergirl more than anything.

Supergirl's been drawing ratings equal to Legends this year, so I guess CW figures the shows are interchangeable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Aww, I thought that said tazer lag initially and I was like gently caress YEAH NEW THREAD TITLE!! :byodood:

MAKE IT SO.

I just got to watch this and I loved everything about it. Williams is a joy to watch every second he's on screen and Mcclain and Nafessa Williams are so good as his daughters. And it's always a pleasure to see James Remar.

Edit: Cress Williams is SIX-FOOT-FIVE. I thought maybe he had on thick boots but drat that man is already that imposing. Now I really want to see an Arrow-verse crossover, just so he can meet Tiny Superman.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 19, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

MAKE IT SO.

I just got to watch this and I loved everything about it. Williams is a joy to watch every second he's on screen and Mcclain and Nafessa Williams are so good as his daughters. And it's always a pleasure to see James Remar.

Edit: Cress Williams is SIX-FOOT-FIVE. I thought maybe he had on thick boots but drat that man is already that imposing. Now I really want to see an Arrow-verse crossover, just so he can meet Tiny Superman.

Tyler Hochlin is still 6'0, I think that initial photo had James standing on a step or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Tyler Hochlin is still 6'0, I think that initial photo had James standing on a step or something.

Also Mehcad Brooks is 6'4". EVERYONE is tiny compared to Giant James Olson.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never met a black guy under 6'2".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I dunno who's playing Tobias but he's a better Kingpin than D'ofrio.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

I've never met a black guy under 6'2".

So you've never seen Kevin Hart. Got it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chokes McGee posted:

I actually saw someone refer to Kevin Hart in Jumanji as "token black guy". How the gently caress do you not know who Kevin Hart is?

e: Plus he was hilarious. He and Black Jack made the movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I dunno who's playing Tobias but he's a better Kingpin than D'ofrio.

He's played by Krondon, a rapper.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

I've never met him. He looks like hard work.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm a super white surbanite now, but grew up lower class and went to a school where white kids were a minority.

I appreciate this show. It really forces me to admit my privilege. I grew up in the same place and went to the same school, but we drat sure didn't get the same opportunities. I was racist as gently caress as a kid and didn't even know it because that's just how we did. Parts of my family still have the same casual I'm-not-racist-I'm-a-realist attitude. They're the people who need to watch this show, but they won't. And if they did, it would just make them mad.

I could see them asking "why did Black Lightning hurt those two cops? they were just doing their job. he didn't need to zap them and blow up their car. maybe if wasn't so violent, he'd get better results." Cause there was a time in my life when I would have said the same thing.

Anyway, the ratings for the pilot and the re-airing of the pilot are fantastic. It gives me hope. This is a show we desperately need right now. This, along with Black Panther are a long time coming. We got our Wonder Woman, now it's your turn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aleph Null posted:

I'm a super white surbanite now, but grew up lower class and went to a school where white kids were a minority.

What up similar feature buddy. I spent my early school days at a predominantly black school in Gary Indiana. At one time I was one of two white kids in a class. Makes for a strong upbringing in equality.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

RIP crazy lady.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I continue to be really impressed with the soundtrack. There are way more needle drops than you see in most network shows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm loving the fight:drama ratio they've got going here. Make a really good show with compelling characters, then right before the end, make sure you cram in one scene of the hero kicking the poo poo out of a whole building worth of goons, roll credits. Okay, not quite credits immediately but still.

e: So wasn't Lala like 10 stories up? How did BL just hop the balcony so easy? Can he do the superhero 3 point landing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He wants so badly to do the right thing without violence. I really liked that scene in the high school gym.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I tuned in for a superhero show and they're giving me some sort of hard character drama. Those wonderful bastards.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Gonna need some more extended fight scenes to Am I Black Enough for You as soon as possible tia show

TwoPair posted:

e: So wasn't Lala like 10 stories up? How did BL just hop the balcony so easy? Can he do the superhero 3 point landing?

I assume he did a lightning blast thing to slow his fall and walk off.

God drat if the best scene in this entire thing wasn't him just walkin' the street and having guys hold doors for him while he's going in to beat the poo poo out of people. That was incredible.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This show is so good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm loving sold. This show is so good already. I've got no good actual commentary, but anything that can get me to go from introspective to curious about the plot to 'gently caress yeah' and more in both of its first two episodes is a must-watch.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just finished episode 2, now I'm sad that I started with this and not Supergirl/The Flash because there's no loving way either show will be as good as this one this week.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bruceski posted:

He's played by Krondon, a rapper.

I suspected, and looked it up, he is an albino black man.

Kinda like tobias funke.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I liked the pilot, and really love the costume and that they didn’t try to make it more “realistic” - actualy looks like something from a comic book. :D

Don’t mind the lack of a proper origin story per see, would like to know more about how his powers work though. At first I thought he was straight up frying people and that’s why he’s seen as a vigilante - but now it seems more like force bolts/telekinesis than electricity.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really hope they don't ever explain why that random tailor has a massive batcave under his shop and somehow has super hacking skills. I just want the Cisco/Felicity of the show to be a 50 year old white man who works as a tailor with absolutely zero backstory ever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Avalerion posted:

Don’t mind the lack of a proper origin story per see, would like to know more about how his powers work though. At first I thought he was straight up frying people and that’s why he’s seen as a vigilante - but now it seems more like force bolts/telekinesis than electricity.
I don't think we really need to know how his powers work. Chances are he doesn't even know. He can shoot this "lighting" stuff that's obviously not actually electricity but looks like it, and you can tell by the way he uses it basically what its effects are, so what would some technobabble explanation add? The less they spell it out the less likely they are to contradict themselves.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I really hope they don't ever explain why that random tailor has a massive batcave under his shop and somehow has super hacking skills. I just want the Cisco/Felicity of the show to be a 50 year old white man who works as a tailor with absolutely zero backstory ever.
Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Man this show so far is amazing. It's just so much better than the other superhero shows.
I like Peter Gambi ( the tailor) and I also doesn't think we really need a backstory for why he has a Batcave and super hacking skills, but I'm sure we are going to get it. For me, it's enough that he has known Jefferson Pierce since he was 12 and helped him after his father died.
If anyone on the other hand wants to be spoiled a bit, James Ramer dropped som teasers about his characters background in an interview https://www.cbr.com/black-lightning-james-remar-gambi-interview/

• Locked thread