Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

If you are worried about the ending being a mess, you are watching the wrong show. Of course the ending is going to be a mess. They literally do not have enough time or even a coherent way to tie up all the loose threads.

Oh I guess we're on the "the show's cancelled" phase of the Steven Universe thread cycle. They have plenty of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah a fourth production season (32 eps vs the 52 eps of the previous ones) was confirmed on the podcast months back.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inescapable Duck posted:

I figure Rose Quartz is dead as anything, that Steven basically overwrote her memories and consciousness in the Gem.

Stephen Universe, the story of the only gem who ever figured out how to die.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Don't forget the smoke monster!

Anyway if they showed a gem get shattered in a flashback, but it never happened in the current day, I feel like it would create this weird sense that all the stuff going on now isn't a "real" conflict compared to what happened in the past, like it's a easier, more kid friendly war. For that reason, I'd prefer they not make a big production out of showing Pink get shattered.

On the other hand, I absolutely want this vague overhanging notion that Rose may have been the only CG to ever shatter a gem to be completely, well, shattered? The implication that one side in the war managed to never kill anyone will forever be a problem with the backstory until they address it, I think

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I assumed Pearl loving ended gems based on every time we see her fight someone that isn't an ally.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inescapable Duck posted:

That was about as much because they rushed the ending because the alternative was creative burnout, I think. Still a pity.

Alex Hirsch had burnt out after season 1, remember it was going to be a three season show initially, Disney should have fired him after Season 1 wrapped up and gotten someone more reliable to manage the show(it's ridiculous how a show as good as the first half of season two became as bad as the second half turned out to be)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Alex Hirsch had burnt out after season 1, remember it was going to be a three season show initially, Disney should have fired him after Season 1 wrapped up and gotten someone more reliable to manage the show(it's ridiculous how a show as good as the first half of season two became as bad as the second half turned out to be)

Gravity Falls was Hirsch's pet project inspired by his childhood experiences and he voiced more than one major character. Firing him from his show would make as much sense for the quality as firing Rebecca Sugar and Estelle from SU.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Moriatti posted:

I assumed Pearl loving ended gems based on every time we see her fight someone that isn't an ally.

Homeworld has clearly shattered gems (cluster, diamonds orders)
It's pretty clear the gems have - Like remember how afraid Amethyst and Pearl used to be of Garnet. Or how, every time Garnet gets angry, they play it like the resolution is going to be violent, and gets extremely violent when angry. I don't think she just poofed homeworld gems with her gauntlets. - but Steven's not going to realize it until it's spelled out for him.

Just another reason why the hiatus is hosed. Probably some upcoming episode Steven finally gets Greg's "no such thing as a good war", in a way that would be fine in a continuous string of episodes building up to that, but now it will be "we waited ten months for Steven to realize his moms killed other gems???"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think everyone worrying about how far we are through the story is spoiling things for themselves - I'm not worrying about an encroaching ending, just looking forward to whenever new episodes are announced, so as far as I'm concerned the story itself can take as long as it needs. Even if White Diamond isn't introduced till the final 5 episodes, they may well do something interesting in those episodes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

chitoryu12 posted:

Gravity Falls was Hirsch's pet project inspired by his childhood experiences and he voiced more than one major character. Firing him from his show would make as much sense for the quality as firing Rebecca Sugar and Estelle from SU.

They fired John K from Ren and Stimpy, and he was the creator, lead writer, lead animation director and storyboarder, AND THE VOICE OF REN.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

Really don't think that would have worked, Gravity Falls was very much a creator driven show and taking Alex Hirsch off the project would have been a bad (and frankly, disrespectful) idea. I know it's disappointing that the show was cut short because Alex Hirsch got burnt out working in the high stress world of episodic animation, but Disney 100% made the right call by letting him end it when he wanted to instead of artificially prolonging it after his departure.

Anyway, if you're hungry for more Gravity Falls style humor be sure to watch the Detective Pikachu movie Alex Hirsch helped write. Ryan Reynolds is going to be voicing the titular Pikachu detective.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

RandomFerret posted:

They fired John K from Ren and Stimpy, and he was the creator, lead writer, lead animation director and storyboarder, AND THE VOICE OF REN.

Wasn't John K. also constantly fighting with the network and censors? I don't necessarily disagree with you assessment, but it seems like a different thing entirely.

Also, was the 2nd half of the 2nd season of Gravity Falls bad or something? I thought it was all pretty great.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I'm sad pikachu wasnt voiced by danny devito
https://youtu.be/1cR4ADXBkII

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 19, 2018

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyway, if you're hungry for more Gravity Falls style humor be sure to watch the Detective Pikachu movie Alex Hirsch helped write. Ryan Reynolds is going to be voicing the titular Pikachu detective.

lol

Wait, you're not serious, are you?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

IronSaber posted:

lol

Wait, you're not serious, are you?

It's gonna be a wild ride, my dude.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't John K. also constantly fighting with the network and censors? I don't necessarily disagree with you assessment, but it seems like a different thing entirely.

Also, was the 2nd half of the 2nd season of Gravity Falls bad or something? I thought it was all pretty great.

John K was also a heinous prima donna who constantly delayed the show and delivered episodes like weeks late because he insisted on personally redrawing frames that weren't exactly to his standards from the other animators. It's really not the same situation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

John K was also a heinous prima donna

That's basically Hirsch to a T

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Hirsch doesn't sound like he's a John K-level rear end in a top hat though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig posted:

The whole series was good. That's one of the benefits of having a brief run, you never end up suffering from Simpson's Syndrome.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the 2nd half of season 2 felt kinda rushed, and wasn't quite up to the first half's standards, but it wasn't bad or anything :shrug:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SpacePig posted:

Everything's bad now.

Seriously though, the endgame of GF definitely felt rushed in many ways and like they needed another ten episodes before going into weirdmageddon. But I wouldn't call it bad by any stretch.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

khwarezm posted:

Everything's bad now.

Seriously though, the endgame of GF definitely felt rushed in many ways and like they needed another ten episodes before going into weirdmageddon. But I wouldn't call it bad by any stretch.

It had this so it can't have been bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKCeOOkqOV8

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

drrockso20 posted:

That's basically Hirsch to a T

???

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I've heard (including from Hirsch himself in some interviews) that he was a bit of a perfectionist in some aspects (which is why nearly every episode credits him as a writer, unlike most script driven shows) and that played a role in him getting burnt out, but I've never really heard any horror stories about him like there are with John K so :shrug:

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

All of Gravity Falls rips. I'd rather Hirsch not gotten burnout at all of course (running a TV production has got to be stressful as hell, especially when it's your first!), but two seasons full of blood, sweat and tears is better than three seasons of a compromised show.

Though Hirsch leaving after S1 would have been kind of funny, considering all the Twin Peaks homages

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've heard (including from Hirsch himself in some interviews) that he was a bit of a perfectionist in some aspects (which is why nearly every episode credits him as a writer, unlike most script driven shows) and that played a role in him getting burnt out, but I've never really heard any horror stories about him like there are with John K so :shrug:

Admittedly at least part of that is that Hirsch's main vice isn't being a perv like John K, it's that he's apparently a lush(also he's kinda a dick on social media)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Who the gently caress cares.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I do

no I dont

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The TV IV › Steven Universe: He's A Dick On Social Media

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm a dick on social media and I don't even have a TV show.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is anyone not a dick on social media
like, isn't that the entire point of twitter

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://twitter.com/_alexhirsch/status/490315869684498432

I'm sorry but he has the best social media account. :colbert:

How many episodes into season 3 are we?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Kazy posted:

How many episodes into season 3 are we?

38 out of 52

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 20, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Yeah from various sources over the years, it definitely seems like Hirsch was too much of a perfectionist for network TV, and was the primary reason for why Gravity Falls had such an erratic schedule (rather than the ever-so-popular tale of Disney scheduling basically being witchcraft) - they just couldn't get episodes done at a consistent and fast enough of a pace since everything was running late on the script side. Plus he also straight up quit after season 1 before begrudgingly returning to it for a second season, hence the between-seasons airing delay.

By the sounds of it he also burned out his staff by simply not being a very effective showrunner. Amateur mistakes, like not cutting down scripts to episode length to make sure the storyboard artists don't do extra work on scenes that won't make the cut anyway, etc. So it probably figures there are some "Hirsch was an insane slave driver who slept in his office overnight and peed in the trashcan to avoid triggering the office door opening alarm" stories floating around too.

Also the script credit thing has a story attached to it too but I'm not going to reprint it since it sounds a bit too wild to be true.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gravity Falls is really good and only like one or two episodes are "bad", but what I meant was that the ending didn't pick up the pieces the way it could have and clearly was intended to. And that's from a show that cared a lot about the internal consistency of its lore. Steven Universe doesn't show evidence of being that carefully planned. A lot of hooks were dropped so that the show could go a range of directions, but there's no ending that is going to satisfactorily fit with all we know now. I will bet $10 on it. If I lose I will donate that money to help save endangered crabs :colbert:.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The show will probably go until they don't get renewed again and then they'll use the next season to wrap up the most recent plot hooks. And I'm ok with that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

There's definitely some stuff confirmed to be planned long ahead, like Lars dying/getting revived (an early pilot era idea) then becoming a space pirate (an idea dating from when season 1 was in production)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

There's definitely some stuff confirmed to be planned long ahead, like Lars dying/getting revived (an early pilot era idea) then becoming a space pirate (an idea dating from when season 1 was in production)

Sugar has stated that the entire main plot and all the major beats were planned out from the beginning, so they have the ability to stretch or compress as needed. Considering the show is still retaining popularity (despite all the Chicken Little screeching every time it doesn't get perfect scheduling), I highly doubt they'll suddenly run out of time to wrap it up or get summarily canceled with no resolution.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's what the creators of Lost said, also. Here's the thing though: I do not believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I don't thing Rebecca quite said something like that (though I think she did mention having an ending in mind, though I could be misremembering). The impression I get is that she definitely had a vauge framework in mind early on (like the Serious Steven mural appearing to foreshadow the diamond stuff, and the fact that the lars dying stuff was planned from the beginning) but it's not as solid as people made it out to be (or at least wasn't early on: recent interviews mention Rebecca having a full timeline planned out on a board in her office now); one podcast (when they were talking about Jailbreak) mentioned that the Cluster stuff wasn't a thing when late season 1 was being outlined but was when early season 2 was (which would be well before season 1 finished boarding): they do write episode outlines well ahead of time and conceive their premises even earlier than that (like some concept art for Mr Greg dated september 2014, around the same time Message Received and adjacent eps were being outlined and the sardonyx eps were being boarded)