Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Omega Drive is pretty universally useful because Combat 5 is one of the most common ability sets, so drat near anyone you'd want to throw it on can probably use it. It's even more useful should you happen to have one of the characters that can maximize abusing it like Cloud with his USB, Master with his BSB, or Noctis with his BSB/OSB/USB.

Even just Noctis’ LMR would suffice, as long as he’s dived. A fully dived Noctis is a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tougher question: i have enough crystals to actually hone it once too. should i do that without thinking about it?

for extra info, the only honed 6* abilities i have are meltdown and snowspell strike, both of which are at 2

edit: additional pertinent info, the other 6* abilities worth noting i have are allegro con moto, aegis strike, mug bloodlust, and curada. i haven’t collected dervish, quadruple foul, neo bahamut, valigarmanda, affliction break, or northern cross yet

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 19, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Dollar Draw, Tifa's LMR again

KataraniSword posted:

They buffed him to Knight 5 quietly about a month ago.

I was wondering why people were saying he was "Holy Lightning but better" despite Banishing Strike being his best Holy skill. Not Anymore it seems!
Think we'll get the silent buff sooner than jp did?

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 19, 2018

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Terra BSB2 on the dollar draw. I have all three of her EnFire relics now. Even if I'll never use it over her USB, It's at least nice to have another fire+ armor.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Is there a reason the music hall doesn't have any of the music from the brabra events other than lol dena?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PneumonicBook posted:

Is there a reason the music hall doesn't have any of the music from the brabra events other than lol dena?

lol dena, but technically this is Japan's fuckup, not Global's. The Bra*Bra events were their own seperate music player with their own separate tracks that didn't get ported over.

Don't have to worry about that from this point out, as every single future song unlock is for the music hall and that's here to stay.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
I wasn't going to, but I swear I only have good luck when I've been been drinking.

3/11, Krile chain, Krile OSB, Garnet USB. No dupes.

Always pull (after cocktails).

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I did a one time pull on whatever banner is currently up (relics for :females: ? Idk can't check at work right now) for 5 mythril because I still have have the wayfarer reward to spin a reel which was... 5 mythril. Ended up Celes' BSB on a sword so used a hero soul to bust her open. I have no idea if Celes' BSB is any good but thanks goon who told me to hold on to that hero soul.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KataraniSword posted:

They buffed him to Knight 5 quietly about a month ago. Now he’s on par with Minfilia, just with more versatile SBs and Ninja/Bard 3 instead of WHM 5.

Assumedly they’re doing this because they still want people to whale for Ramza, but the incentive has massively dwindled thanks to Onion having the better boostga. Instead of going into an arms race there, they just made FFT even more homogenized.

Yeah I know that, but basically every soul break he's gotten in the life of the game so far has been focused around the party buff/enemy debuff role. For DeNA to suddenly make a hard pivot for him to holy-element DPS (in a realm that has like a billion characters with holy SBs) is... weird, imo.

Either way, like I said the rest of those banners look iffy enough that I don't think I'd pull for that relic even if it ended up being top-tier. Wait around for it to recur on a festival or a better-looking event banner later on.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I did a one time pull on whatever banner is currently up (relics for :females: ? Idk can't check at work right now) for 5 mythril because I still have have the wayfarer reward to spin a reel which was... 5 mythril. Ended up Celes' BSB on a sword so used a hero soul to bust her open. I have no idea if Celes' BSB is any good but thanks goon who told me to hold on to that hero soul.

Which BSB sword was it, Lightbringer or Ragnarok? The latter is a really really good relic, the former is fine but it's been powercrept pretty hard by other SBs that provide the same party buff alongside other powerful effects.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yeah I know that, but basically every soul break he's gotten in the life of the game so far has been focused around the party buff/enemy debuff role. For DeNA to suddenly make a hard pivot for him to holy-element DPS (in a realm that has like a billion characters with holy SBs) is... weird, imo.

Either way, like I said the rest of those banners look iffy enough that I don't think I'd pull for that relic even if it ended up being top-tier. Wait around for it to recur on a festival or a better-looking event banner later on.

Which BSB sword was it, Lightbringer or Ragnarok? The latter is a really really good relic, the former is fine but it's been powercrept pretty hard by other SBs that provide the same party buff alongside other powerful effects.

Yeah it was Lightbringer. Shame about that but it's still a win in my book for literally no price.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grozz Nuy posted:

He's not exactly the first; Wakka and Irvine got very DPS-oriented USBs.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
I’m pretty sure the last debuff-oriented USBs before Montblanc’s USB we’ve got were Gordon’s (which added a Hastega on top of it) and Faris’ second one (which also provides Imperil Wind). So uh yeah. I guess that was long coming, stat breaking was obscenely overcentralizing before Magicites, but the sudden decay still stings. The sheer potency of stat breaking was one of the things I liked about FFRK battle designs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got my first magicite kill. Sealion in 39.10. I bet I could get it under 30 if any of my fire 5/6*s were more than R2 or I dived Vivi.

Speaking of diving Vivi, I have his USB and BSB so it seems like diving him should be a no-brainer, but how important is having a doublecasting healer? They all seem to use spr/wis motes same as Vivi. Of course my healer dive prospects aren't great, basically just Vanille and Arc with BSBs. I have Rosa's USB but her dive looks godawful. It's all moot until I get some spirit motes anyway :v:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I dived Yshtola and I don't use her in any of my magicite teams because Eiko with USB, R3 curada and a bar sing is more useful. The double casting on healing is nice, especially if you don't have a high honed curada, but having Vivi trance and doublecast will kill the boss faster, which means you can get by with less healing.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
Uh, so I pulled Garnet’s BSB2 on the ladies banner yesterday and I’m sorta considering legend diving her now. I have all of her SBs sans her very first and also her LMR, so she’d make a strong offensive complimentary buff/DPS unit to run alongside OK with his mUSB. I also have good hones on my Summons (maxed Ixion, R3 on Valigarmanda and maxed Bahamut), so she wouldn’t run out of gas before getting her SBs online.

Problem is her motes compete directly with Yuffie, who just got the BSB2/USB combo. Yuffie’s dualcasting would be really useful for Magicite Siren and I still don’t have a Ninja dived (she’s likely my best current bet - I have Edge’s BSB and LMR and Shadow’s ancient SSB, so they don’t feel like real competition for her). HOWEVER, my Water tech is positively insane with a near complete Tidus (BSB2/USB/CSB/OSB/LMR) and Bartz with USB/BSB2/LMR. Meanwhile, my Lightning toys are mostly magical and sorta all over the place (mainly Rapha rolling USB and BSB, Ashe BSB and Desch BSB/USB). Anyone has a suggestion here?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I finally beat dark dragon yesterday and now I've cleared all magicites. Hilariously, once I stopped trying to dodge Black Fang and just let OK die, it only took me 3 tries to clear it. I had to craft and hone a 2nd Guardbringer but it was worth it because Guardbringer loving owns.

Also hilariously my first clear was a sub 30 so that feels good.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Blew all my mythril on III so I waited to pull on the DU lucky.

Dungeon luckies can be good, sometimes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Speaking of diving Vivi, I have his USB and BSB so it seems like diving him should be a no-brainer, but how important is having a doublecasting healer? They all seem to use spr/wis motes same as Vivi. Of course my healer dive prospects aren't great, basically just Vanille and Arc with BSBs. I have Rosa's USB but her dive looks godawful. It's all moot until I get some spirit motes anyway :v:

I haven't LDd any of my healers and I can sub-30 all the magicites.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

From my experience, doublecast healers are pretty rad. Yshtola with her LD and BSB and R3 curada is a staple of most of my magicite teams. I think whether or not it would be worth it for you depends on how good your dps is for magicites and whether or not you're struggling with taking too much damage. If you're struggling to clear them because you have to bring two healers to prevent people from dying, consider diving Vanille or Arc. It's definitely saved me a lot of times on some of my weaker ones. Being able to slot in another non healer makes a huge difference.

So basically if you haven't been running into issues with people dying, you can probably put a doublecast healer dive on hold. Vivi can put out ridiculous amounts of damage with their LD trance mode and USB. Vivi alone with no SB's has been enough for people to clear magicites and sub30's. Vivi can put out so much damage once you figure out how to get them going that you can circumvent having a doublecast healer provided you have enough hones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've only tried the one but it didn't feel like I was close to dying. I guess I'll go with Vivi. He's also my best lightning and ice character with his BSB :toot:

Maybe if I get that Larsa USB before I get 100 spirit motes...

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
Bizarrely, the healer meta’s been shifting slowly towards valuing defensive LMs like Relm’s because of the sheer amount of damage the high-end content can poo poo out. The value on command medicas from BSBs wanes out when a strategy like feeding SB gauges to your USB healer is getting increasingly common and you want mostly keeping your healer alive so those instant AoE Curagas with Last Stand or party instacast can flow like wine. I’m doing that with Aphmau on my Fenrir runs once Rinoa’s chain and Edea’s BSB are online and that yields very good results.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

On healer LDs, I'll chime in. First, I haven't LD'ed one and can sub-30 all the current magicite. However, a few things to consider:
1. Depending on your skill level or relic luck, maybe you feel like you may need a boost or crutch to get through some content. Are healer dualcasts necessary? Not at all, but if you're dying a lot or could use the help, it's not a bad thing. I find that when I'm really going at a tough battle, I'm pausing a lot, figuring out the second by second best next move and if you're not willing to do that, getting a few extra curada casts in might help.. a lot.
2. I have like 500+ each of all 5* motes right now. And I have no clear person in mind to do next. Currently, I feel like as valuable as they are, we'll be getting enough motes that one dive that you may not need much in a few months won't really hurt, at all.

I don't know what's the total possible dives out there now, but I would wager it's probably more dives than people have good enough relics to make the most of them.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I like healer LDs but I'm crazy. I dove Relm down to her LM2 because I had her USB, BSB, and LMR. I didn't get the LM2 itself cause it's terrible, but up until that it's nice to get the HP boosts and stats.

Yshy's is amazing. Double-cast curada is better than a medica a lot of the time.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Has JP gotten marche yet? I got marche's usb but I can't pick him up from the hall yet apparently.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I half dove a couple of healers, mainly for the extra stats and %heal. I did also full dive Ysh.

As for Marche, you should be able to pick him up in the coming FFT event at a minimum. They should also update the HoR at... some point.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Pander posted:

I like healer LDs but I'm crazy. I dove Relm down to her LM2 because I had her USB, BSB, and LMR. I didn't get the LM2 itself cause it's terrible, but up until that it's nice to get the HP boosts and stats.

Yshy's is amazing. Double-cast curada is better than a medica a lot of the time.

You should definitely get Relm's LM2 because.. well. I'll just quote this from two posts above:

Parasol Waddle Dee posted:

Bizarrely, the healer meta’s been shifting slowly towards valuing defensive LMs like Relm’s because of the sheer amount of damage the high-end content can poo poo out. The value on command medicas from BSBs wanes out when a strategy like feeding SB gauges to your USB healer is getting increasingly common and you want mostly keeping your healer alive so those instant AoE Curagas with Last Stand or party instacast can flow like wine. I’m doing that with Aphmau on my Fenrir runs once Rinoa’s chain and Edea’s BSB are online and that yields very good results.

Double cast Curada is great but more defense is also fine. You have Relm's USB, the best healer relic in game, which means you'll want to use it as much as possible forsaking the BSB with its medica. That means outside of the USB stoneskin buffer you'll rely on Curada to keep your party up. When one party member takes significantly less damage (Relm LM2) you get to focus on others more, effectively helping her heal.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Parasol Waddle Dee posted:

Uh, so I pulled Garnet’s BSB2 on the ladies banner yesterday and I’m sorta considering legend diving her now. I have all of her SBs sans her very first and also her LMR, so she’d make a strong offensive complimentary buff/DPS unit to run alongside OK with his mUSB. I also have good hones on my Summons (maxed Ixion, R3 on Valigarmanda and maxed Bahamut), so she wouldn’t run out of gas before getting her SBs online.

Problem is her motes compete directly with Yuffie, who just got the BSB2/USB combo. Yuffie’s dualcasting would be really useful for Magicite Siren and I still don’t have a Ninja dived (she’s likely my best current bet - I have Edge’s BSB and LMR and Shadow’s ancient SSB, so they don’t feel like real competition for her). HOWEVER, my Water tech is positively insane with a near complete Tidus (BSB2/USB/CSB/OSB/LMR) and Bartz with USB/BSB2/LMR. Meanwhile, my Lightning toys are mostly magical and sorta all over the place (mainly Rapha rolling USB and BSB, Ashe BSB and Desch BSB/USB). Anyone has a suggestion here?

Garnet with her BSB2 would really solidify a mage lightning team for you. It provides a stacking MAG buff and a Lightning Imperil on top, plus her Summon Mode CMD2 actually has a pretty respectable potency on it (1310 over 5 ST Hits, Valigarmanda is 1650 over 3 AoE). On top of all that it has an emergency heal available for tapping CMD1 with Summon Mode on if poo poo hits the fan. Her dive itself is also really good giving her SUM damage and a good Trance Mode that's the same as Terra's (25s of quickcast).

Yuffie on the other hand is a really potent ninja, especially for water. She's really strong now but her huge power spike comes from her USB2 and FSB that will come in the next festival. Her USB2 is a better version of Edge's and her FSB is an instant Phys Blink 2 and 15% Ninja Boost (and the blinks stack with other blink sources). The former makes her one of the strongest water damagers in the game rivaling Tidus and the latter just makes her a stupidly potent ninja in any of the available elements (dark, water, earth) you need.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I have Garnet's BSB2 and never found her to be that useful. It'd probably be a different story if she had White 5 access, or if her buff stacked more (atk/mag is very common these days). Heck, if she had Black 5 access, this might even be different. As it is, she's OK if you either really like her or really try to fit her into your team. I think ultimately she's a jack of many trades but master of none. Lightning is also by far my best element so that could be skewing my experience.

The main saving grace I see from her now is that she has ACM access. It's a really good ability and could unleash the potential of any magic team. But I'm just not sold that you wouldn't be better off with a true healer and/or a full-on mage. Her LD could be good, though whether she's worth the effort of developing a trance strategy seems questionable. Anyway, you could definitely make her work for you, so best of luck.

On Yuffie, I've been preaching about her for the past week. BSB2 is actually really really good when coupled with Raging waters. It's instant imperil and she acts fast as heck in general. My personal Living Flame results appear to be as good as most standard Tidus Chain results even though I'm just relying on her and Bartz. She's only getting stronger again in the near future. However, if you're not hurting for her strength to push you over the top, it's probably best to wait.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Since the relics are actually out now we can see the exact details of the new tactics stuff. Ramza does indeed have a high quickcycle which is pretty wicked and Agrias' chase hits for.. well it actually doesn't hit at all, it just imperils with no damage done.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Full dived Garnet headlines my sub-30 Bismarck team, so she's cool in my book.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Agrias's new USB sounds considerably worse then her old one. Imperil with a minor imperil after two hits compared to Enholy, Knight damage +30% and ATK/MAG -50%? This seems like a considerable downgrade. I giess the idea is for Agrias to stack Imperil like crazy with her LMR for dualcasts and LM2 for added Imperil chance.

Also, random target entry is fine for the Imperil, but if that chase isn't doing damage I wish they at least made it AoE for multi-target fights.

I do like Montblanc's USB, if only because it's nice to see a support oriented USB that doesn't have a Hastega attached.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are the magic ninja skills worth honing? On the one hand it's only 2 hits so the damage potential is limited, on the other hand Fujin is hitting golem for like 9500x2 with zero buffs...

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

And that's why they're worth honing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know i didn’t realize it at the time but a lot of my reticence for getting stuff done in this game stemmed from the little 1-2 second loads between switching from screen to screen in everything, with a new phone they’ve been cut down very noticeably and so equipment swapping and whatnot is so much less of a chore now

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

iamsosmrt posted:

I have Garnet's BSB2 and never found her to be that useful. It'd probably be a different story if she had White 5 access, or if her buff stacked more (atk/mag is very common these days). Heck, if she had Black 5 access, this might even be different. As it is, she's OK if you either really like her or really try to fit her into your team. I think ultimately she's a jack of many trades but master of none. Lightning is also by far my best element so that could be skewing my experience.

If you're running Garnet in a mage team you are far less likely to run into the problem of multiple ATK/MAG buffs, since all of the good mage-focused boosts are different combos (MAG/MND/RES for Onion, Plain MAG for Sheepsong and it's variants, MAG/RES for Edward SSB, etc). I forgot to mention her Bard 6 access and that's another big deal for her usefulness. She's not going to do as much damage as someone like Ashe or Desch but she brings a ridiculous amount of utility to a mage party that is incredibly helpful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

You should definitely get Relm's LM2 because.. well. I'll just quote this from two posts above:

Double cast Curada is great but more defense is also fine. You have Relm's USB, the best healer relic in game, which means you'll want to use it as much as possible forsaking the BSB with its medica. That means outside of the USB stoneskin buffer you'll rely on Curada to keep your party up. When one party member takes significantly less damage (Relm LM2) you get to focus on others more, effectively helping her heal.

That makes sense, but since elemental resists overwrite one another aren't I just better off equipping her with a moderate or major resist accessory most of the time? Most fights usually only have one element slamming into the party (for Magicite content only Bismarck is truly multi-element), so the LM2 minor resist seems paltry.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I use Garnet's SSB2 more often then I use her BSB2

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Cowcaster posted:

you know i didn’t realize it at the time but a lot of my reticence for getting stuff done in this game stemmed from the little 1-2 second loads between switching from screen to screen in everything, with a new phone they’ve been cut down very noticeably and so equipment swapping and whatnot is so much less of a chore now

100% my experience as well. I generally love min/maxing party management, but cutting load times in half or more with a new phone really increased my enjoyment.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Are the magic ninja skills worth honing? On the one hand it's only 2 hits so the damage potential is limited, on the other hand Fujin is hitting golem for like 9500x2 with zero buffs...

*looks at 2 copies of Raging Firestorm and 3 copies of Raging Storm*

Yea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ceaselessfuture posted:

100% my experience as well. I generally love min/maxing party management, but cutting load times in half or more with a new phone really increased my enjoyment.

Getting a new phone is a gamechanger. You don't even need the latest model. I went from a galaxy s4 to s6 and its amazing

• Locked thread