Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

fyi you can't get crossed up while in assist blockstun in any game. That's not really what that clip is demonstrating considering the assist doesn't even hit him until after Krillin has crossed over

Oh yeah, I guess you're right.

He says in the tweet that he's not changing his block direction to match the teleport, though. Wouldn't that attack have hit in UMvC3?

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

punk rebel ecks posted:

"High quality tutorial videos"? The game isn't even out yet!

It was in beta for several days, figured that would be more than enough time for people to show off slightly high-level strategy :shrug:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Oh yeah, I guess you're right.

He says in the tweet that he's not changing his block direction to match the teleport, though. Wouldn't that attack have hit in UMvC3?

yes it would. I'm guessing the game detects if the point character crosses up, and then makes assists get auto-blocked.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

It was in beta for several days, figured that would be more than enough time for people to show off slightly high-level strategy :shrug:

you try that with no training mode or local vs

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

self-plug, not sure if this is quite what you're looking for but go nuts

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2N8qJGW36fym68V1iiZVQvoId4GWlZBw

Got a couple more coming out soon that i filmed during the beta as well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Work on basic strategy

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jmcrofts posted:

self-plug, not sure if this is quite what you're looking for but go nuts

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2N8qJGW36fym68V1iiZVQvoId4GWlZBw

Got a couple more coming out soon that i filmed during the beta as well

Thank you for being the one helpful response out of like 7 answers lol

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jmcrofts posted:

yes it would. I'm guessing the game detects if the point character crosses up, and then makes assists get auto-blocked.

That seems like an odd design choice in an assist-based game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feels great: No-selling your opponent's vanish by just hitting them when they reappear.

Feels amazing: No-selling your opponent's L3 by vanishing yourself and knocking them out of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to look back at DBZ and see if Vegeta talks in the third person a lot.

Rewatching replays reminded me that he has a quote that's "Don't you dare disappoint Vegeta!" and it really strikes me as odd.

He does it a decent amount. "Can you stand against Vegeta, prince of all saiyans?" and all. He does it mostly when he's on an ego trip, so Saiyan Saga, when he's pummeling semi-perfect Cell, and when he's Majin Vegeta. "Have a taste of Vegeta's Big Bang Attack!" is what he says when he murks 19, I'm pretty sure.

I haven't watched the original or recent dubs in a long time, though, so I'm mostly going off memories of the games and the manga translation.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chaotic Flame posted:

That seems like an odd design choice in an assist-based game.

Eh, I'm ok with them erring on the side of making offense not-completely-insane in a game where you can't mash captain corridor. Especially considering how many ways there are to teleport to the other side of the opponent.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Eh, I'm ok with them erring on the side of making offense not-completely-insane in a game where you can't mash captain corridor. Especially considering how many ways there are to teleport to the other side of the opponent.

Isn't old Gohan assist invincible?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fadam posted:

All gohans are iirc

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This beta has taught me the lesson of true salt. God drat you krillin and your senzu bean assist giving my opponent like 60-70% of this life back.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Whoever on point/yung gohan/old gohan. Two invincible assists, and an anchor that can use meter really well.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jmcrofts posted:

I wonder if this works while the opponent is moving.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm beginning to think that this game might actually replace Street Fighter V as the most played game in the FGC. Am I being naive?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

It is but not THAT invincible, and also you can only call it like once every 10 seconds

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We'll probably see come around the first tournament.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm beginning to think that this game might actually replace Street Fighter V as the most played game in the FGC. Am I being naive?

Didn't someone say tournament numbers already surpassed SFV at...Combo Breaker?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

We'll probably see come around the first tournament.

https://twitter.com/TheHadou/status/953297091140337665

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think it's got a real shot at being the evo entry with the most contestants.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This is going to be awesome.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sweet, Skullgirls in the top 5.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

if this happens it might be a while with AE being one more chance for people to go 'maybe it's good now! i bet it's good now!'

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jmcrofts and Evil Canadian put out good tutorial content that I have always enjoyed while trying to learn new fighting games. (Those are the two that stand out for me, if there are other goon content makers please let me know so I can check them out too.)

But yeah, part of the fun of new fighting games are those first few magical weeks where super high level tech is still undiscovered and people are hard at work trying to find new combos. Also there will inevitably be a prematurely-labeled "OP" character by the unwashed masses who just don't know how to counter whatever simple gimmick keeps beating them. Then you practice countering the gimmick yourself and rack up the hatemail in your inbox when you body the "OP" character spammers.

It is a magical time. Cherish it. :allears:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Siets posted:

Jmcrofts and Evil Canadian put out good tutorial content that I have always enjoyed while trying to learn new fighting games. (Those are the two that stand out for me, if there are other goon content makers please let me know so I can check them out too.)

But yeah, part of the fun of new fighting games are those first few magical weeks where super high level tech is still undiscovered and people are hard at work trying to find new combos. Also there will inevitably be a prematurely-labeled "OP" character by the unwashed masses who just don't know how to counter whatever simple gimmick keeps beating them. Then you practice countering the gimmick yourself and rack up the hatemail in your inbox when you body the "OP" character spammers.

It is a magical time. Cherish it. :allears:

Bolded is my favorite thing. Destroying Weskers back in the early MVC3 days was a good time. :allears:

I miss Marvel 3. :smith:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just learned you can get a lvl3 super when you dhc by holding back. So many games i want back from yesterday now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm actually excited to try poo poo out in DBFZ. It reminds me of Melty in a lot of aspects and I think there's some stupid reset potential we haven't quite explored yet too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

I'm actually excited to try poo poo out in DBFZ. It reminds me of Melty in a lot of aspects and I think there's some stupid reset potential we haven't quite explored yet too.

The game arguably feels more like Melty than Gear.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My favorite thing with this game right now has been the fact that the beta is the closest things to a true arcade release in years. No training mode, no tutorials, tons of word of mouth and people figuring out the new tech on their own

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i am the best content ccreator of all time

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

i am the best content ccreator of all time

thats just diarrhea

oooooooooh dang son

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

thats just diarrhea

oooooooooh dang son

yea cuz i can poo poo on all of you in dbfz

get at me

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

yea cuz i can poo poo on all of you in dbfz

get at me

you should probably check that out it leads to dehydration

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Monaghan posted:

I want Evo grand finals to end with Nappa blowing up Yamcha.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I want Evo grand finals to end with Nappa blowing up Yamcha.

I won't let that happen again.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
It's amazing how the hype for this started red hot and is now nuclear compaired to mvci's lukewarm to several degrees above 0 kelvin. Right place right time I guess. I havent this excited for a game since left for dead 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Monaghan posted:

sfv will beat it

dbfz will get a lot of entrants tho