Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

BIOS may be needed for Spectre, Meltdown should be fixed by Windows update.

Are motherboard manufacturers even issuing BIOS updates for Haswell? I've got an Asus board and I saw in the past few pages they were a little more proactive than the rest but still not going back that far in terms of patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Asus has issued bios updates for 2 of their 500 dollar ROG Haswell boards. I don't know if those are just the first priority or the only ones getting updates.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The H97I Plus in my DVR/HTPC has a 2018 BIOS available, but I’m not installing it because of all the rebooting.

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

re AVR54, apparently the fix is "a minor silicone tweak".

I set up a DS1515+ connected to a pfsense firewall and VPN into that with another pfsense box last December.
As far as I can tell all use the same C-2000 series CPUs so the race is on. :banjo:

The race is over! My DS1515+ died today from that clock signal bug. :rip:
More and more people reporting these failures on the synology forums. Expecting a RMA time of 4-5 weeks because their warehouses at capacity.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
Any word on whether the next generation of Intel will be vulnerable to meltdown and spectre? I tried searching for news for the future line-up of chips but couldn't find anything. I was going to build a new gaming computer this year so I wanted to know if I should wait until next year or not

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The immediate next generation? It will have the same issues. Chips have huge lead times.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the launch date for the rest of the Coffee Lake stack is February 14.

https://videocardz.com/74856/intel-core-i3-8300-and-core-i5-8500-appear-online-with-eta-14-february

WCCF has some stuff on the mobile CPUs coming:

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-mobile-desktop-8th-gen-cpus-leak/

Those sub-$100USD 2/4 3.7ghz+ Pentiums will probably be popular, considering like half of the top Amazon CPU sales are Celerys and Pentiums in that price range right now.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eames posted:

The race is over! My DS1515+ died today from that clock signal bug. :rip:
More and more people reporting these failures on the synology forums. Expecting a RMA time of 4-5 weeks because their warehouses at capacity.

My DS415+ is still trucking but I feel I should probably just replace it now before it ends up failing (with my luck after the warranty expires). Ugh.

And tying the two topics here together I ought to see what synology has posted (if anything) regarding spectre and meltdown, hmm.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cygni posted:

Looks like the launch date for the rest of the Coffee Lake stack is February 14.

https://videocardz.com/74856/intel-core-i3-8300-and-core-i5-8500-appear-online-with-eta-14-february

WCCF has some stuff on the mobile CPUs coming:

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-mobile-desktop-8th-gen-cpus-leak/

Those sub-$100USD 2/4 3.7ghz+ Pentiums will probably be popular, considering like half of the top Amazon CPU sales are Celerys and Pentiums in that price range right now.

STILL couldn't get a 8 core out, at all?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This is the Coffee Lake release for the lower end CPUs. Higher end already launched. In all likelihood, Intel wont have an 8 core mainstream CPU until late this year, at the earliest. But probably 2019.

If you want 8 cores for whatever you are doing that uses 8 cores, consider AMD or x299.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Or go hog wild and buy a threadripper.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That's cool, chips. Are people still expected to pair a celeron with a z370 board?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Risky Bisquick posted:

That's cool, chips. Are people still expected to pair a celeron with a z370 board?

quote:

The new SKUs are expected to launch next month along with the budget tier H370/B360 and H130 parts

I dunno if Intel is still planning the "Z390" to launch with the other chipsets.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12355/supermicro-at-ces-2018-x299-motherboards-for-upcoming-300w-cpus

quote:

Staying on the CPU for a second: the reason it is called the ‘PG300’ is because this motherboard is geared up to accept CPUs with up to 300W TDP. This comes across as somewhat odd – the X299 platform only has CPUs up to 165W listed. Even with turbo modes applied and all cores going, somewhere around 240-250W is ‘normal’, which would mean that the system is being geared for something bigger.

Now at this point, I should point out that the Z370 motherboard on display said ‘support’ up to 120W TDP, which might draw the same conclusion, although the CPUs that the Z370 supports have been observed at 120W in regular use with motherboard turbo modes. Also, there was a Xeon W motherboard on display, stating support for CPUs up to 165W TDP, which is what I would have expected. So with this C9X299-PG300, listing 300W TDP support, it can mean one of two things.

1. It is geared for extreme overclocking. To which Supermicro has no serious heritage.
2. There are CPUs still to be released that might flirt with the 300W TDP.

Obviously trying to confirm this on the record is somewhat of a fruitless task. Supermicro couldn’t answer any questions (not even as a negative), and Intel does not comment on rumor/future product.
looking forward to intel's new 300W CPUs

mystes
May 31, 2006

If competition from AMD finally causes a race to increase the number of cores in desktop CPUs (which is already happening to some extent) as far as possible that would be pretty awesome.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

This feels like the dying days of Netburst all over again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm not a hardware journalist but 240W-250W sounds close enough to 300W that it could be over-provisioning the power consumption rating for running the same CPUs in hotter ambient temperatures in warmer climates!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
6C/12T + a bigger Vega iGPU on there and you've got your 300 watts.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CFox posted:

6C/12T + a bigger Vega iGPU on there and you've got your 300 watts.

Supermicro posted:

Listed as the C9X299-PG300, where ‘PG’ is for Professional Gaming

Sounds more to me like it's just intended for high-end overclocking, since no one in their right mind is going to pair a motherboard with 4x PCIe 16 slots, DDR4-4000 RAM, 10GigE, and RGB gamer-bling-lights around an iGPU, Vega be damned.

Supermicro doesn't have much experience in the gaming realm, but maybe this is their attempt to crack into the market.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:holymoley:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Cygni posted:

Sub $100 for about 3 days until the miners grab the stock

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Serious question. Is anyone actually planning on buying a bugged Intel processor right now? I can't personally imagine buying another until they fix their silicon and it doesn't destroy performance.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Overclocked X series stuff can go way way above 300w. I wouldn't read into it much.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

redeyes posted:

Serious question. Is anyone actually planning on buying a bugged Intel processor right now? I can't personally imagine buying another until they fix their silicon and it doesn't destroy performance.

If I can get a top end i7 Haswell used, I will for my NAS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redeyes posted:

Considering that it doesn't hurt normal desktop performance that badly, that even with the performance hits Intel chips are still ahead of AMD in basically everything desktop/gaming related, that this also applies at least as much to older chips as the current hotness, and that we probably won't see a hardware fix for quite a while (I'd be surprised if they got a fix out in a year)?

I'd say you're basically stuck with accepting it unless you're cool with waiting potentially a year or more.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

We're likely talking 3-5 years for silicon that is resistant to spectre-style attacks. Meltdown is pretty much moot at this point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm not an expert but from what I've read it could well be several years before we see a CPU that isn't vulnerable to meltdown or Spectre. You can't expect people to just not buy CPUs. Sure the people on skylake onwards can wait but there are an awful lot of people who were clinging desperately to their overclocked sandy bridges because the rate of CPU advancement was so slow up until coffee lake. Those PCs won't last forever, and the older stuff fares much worse with the fixes than the newer stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'd like my next car to be electric and automated, but if I have an actual need to replace my current car before that time I'm going to have to buy something else

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

We're likely talking 3-5 years for silicon that is resistant to spectre-style attacks. Meltdown is pretty much moot at this point.

That is what I was really afraid of. My 7700k is gonna have to last a long long time.. and I know it isn't resistant either. I just don't want to invest in another Intel CPU until this is fixed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Considering AMD processors are "bugged" too and everything else modern is, why wouldn't you?

I mean I can sell you a Toshiba laptop from 1998 that isn't "bugged" but I'm not sure you'd like using a 233 MHz Pentium MMX...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You might want to consider AMD for new DB servers and such because that's where the performance hit from the fix is noticeable but for desktops it's not a big deal. I want to see what the Ryzen update does but if it's a wet fart I'd just get an 8700 or something. My stock i5-2500 is, at this point, a noticeable bottleneck in CPU heavy stuff (games, photo/video stuff) while being perfectly fine for browsing or office stuff.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

That is what I was really afraid of. My 7700k is gonna have to last a long long time.. and I know it isn't resistant either. I just don't want to invest in another Intel CPU until this is fixed.

Again, the fixes have no impact on desktop performance. And the reboot issues (which I believe are already fixed?) don't effect newer platforms either.

If you are running DB servers or something, its absolutely a price/performance concern. Some took big IOPS hits. For desktop users, it was just another security patch.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm planning on getting a 6900K when they hit the 300 dollar range. I'm already on the X99 platform and I think by the time they're that cheap stuff will also be using 8 cores more. I'm not especially concerned about performance hits, but I am way more concerned about stability problems. 3% might as well not even matter, but I'd even take a 20% hit if it meant no stability problems. If they can't get stability sorted by the time 6900Ks are that cheap I'll look into something else,

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

My understanding was the stability issues was primarily on VM guest workloads where it would cause a BSOD/reboot, haven't seen confirmation that those bugs are occurring on bare metal installs

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

drat are we still buying in to the sensationalism , two weeks later? Imagine if people on Facebook actually cared about computers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat are we still buying in to the sensationalism , two weeks later? Imagine if people on Facebook actually cared about computers.
I don't think all the mitigations for these issues have been implemented yet, so it's probably still too early to decide what the overall level of impact is and how that affects intel vs amd. You've probably seen the recent argument abut some of the linux patches on LKML for example?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

While all of the YouTubers seem relieved that it isn't going to affect their video rendering times, and gamers are satisfied that it won't affect most games, this still discounts a very large group of professionals: software developers.

The infrastructure that their software runs on will be affected, and so will their workstations where they develop it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

The infrastructure that their software runs on will be affected, and so will their workstations where they develop it.

While true, these are also some of the groups least able to "just wait it out" for fixed hardware. If the fixes cumulatively make a substantial performance impact, their only real option is to simply purchase more capacity. That's it. End of story.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Measly Twerp posted:

While all of the YouTubers seem relieved that it isn't going to affect their video rendering times, and gamers are satisfied that it won't affect most games, this still discounts a very large group of professionals: software developers.

Quick show of hands how many goons are gamers and how many are software devs. What do these Venn diagrams look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VulgarandStupid posted:

Quick show of hands how many goons are gamers and how many are software devs. What do these Venn diagrams look like?

I do software and play games