Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh no. Not a guy I never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Are you kidding?

Pretty much the greatest hockey journalist ever?

Like really?

In case you actually want to be educated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Fisher_%28journalist%29?wprov=sfla1

stab fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 20, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
No I'm not joking

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow how could I have missed out on the insights of an old Habs beat writer who may or may not have been a mummy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

stab posted:

Are you kidding?

Like really?

He's not well known outside of Quebec, much less the US.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
There's still no need to be a douche about it, though Jamwad Hilder is a Bruins fan...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's in our blood

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Surprising given the amount of stuff being said about him in thr hockey world i would assume he was bigger than that. Order of Canada and all that. Tmyk

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

stab posted:

wife of 69

nice

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Cool. He was an iconic journalist to some of us but good job on the irreverent take I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suspicious posted:

There's still no need to be a douche about it, though Jamwad Hilder is a Bruins fan...

He worked for the Gazette.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Still seeing Jamwad Hitler. Every. Goddamn. Time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Martytoof posted:

Cool. He was an iconic journalist to some of us but good job on the irreverent take I guess.

Thanks.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

stab posted:

Are you kidding?

Like really?

Laughing at dickie moore and alan allnutt

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I thought the jewish hall of fame was a simpsons gag but its real?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Matt Zerella posted:

Still seeing Jamwad Hitler. Every. Goddamn. Time.

This is the first time I realized it WASN'T Hitler.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^ I think it was.

Well, if it makes any of you downers happy,

stab posted:

(10 days after his wife of 69 years died holy poo poo)
means he almost certainly offed himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old people dying shortly after their spouses isn't uncommon.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

This is the first time I realized it WASN'T Hitler.

It took me a few months too. Don't post in threads where lowtax threatens to change everyone's name.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Niemi won a game. :aaa:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Caps are paper tigers

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Vegas' powerplay is poo poo and needs to be fixed asap

Kale
May 14, 2010

Thanks for waiting like half the season and till we were like 5 games back in the standings to finally wake up Patches. :argh:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Anyone else remember that time when Pronger tried to cheap shot Yzerman in the 2002 playoffs, but Stevie turned his back and Pronger injured himself?

Fondly remembering that tonight.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Mind_Taker posted:

Caps are paper tigers

I know it’s just two games but this feels like Trotz falling into the same trap that did Boudreau in. “These good old Canadians say you guys gotta play the right way to win in the playoffs. Playoffs will be here in a couple months. You guys better start playing the right way if you want to beat Pittsburgh this year. You can’t expect to keep shooting 11%.” Playing the right way means the most skilled motherfuckers on the planet spend 55 minutes per game digging in the corners so guys like Brett Connolly and Jay Beagle can get a couple of hard hat scoring opportunities. Plus now we have stupid advanced stats which have no correlation to winning that poison their minds. I wish they’d bring in a Russian coach who never heard of Corsi or Darcy Tucker.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Anyone else remember that time when Pronger tried to cheap shot Yzerman in the 2002 playoffs, but Stevie turned his back and Pronger injured himself?

Fondly remembering that tonight.

No, but I remember this game and wish I could find video highlights:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20052006/GS020610.HTM
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/tor-vs-cgy/2006/01/06/2005020610

This is where Bryan Marchment tore his ACL and MCL while trying to knee Jason Allison. It would have been beautifully poetic had that ended his career but apparently he played another 16 games that season.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
In an age where half the NHL was dirty, Marchment was the dirtiest. He did something lovely every game.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Chris Simon took two of the longest suspensions for dirty play in NHL history within one calendar year, which is amazing.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
RIP Red Fisher, your writings were a wonderful morning treat while I was growing up. :(

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

HFboards thread or actual paid sports journalist? You decide!

Paid journalist lol http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames-make-offer-erik-karlsson/

Read this today.

Don't read Eric "Bowmeester deal just made the Flames a cup contender" Francis. He is so hilariously wrong about literally everything he writes it's a good thing Dude has his nose up every corporate rear end he can find.

Cannot stand the fucker.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pop quiz: which NHL team has the most game misconducts in their entire history? If you think it matters, this is not aggregating franchises that moved, so the Minnesota North Stars and Dallas Stars are counted separately.

As a hint, you can add up match penalties too and the answer doesn't change, and as far as I can tell both have been in the rulebook for most of the NHL's history.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

Pop quiz: which NHL team has the most game misconducts in their entire history? If you think it matters, this is not aggregating franchises that moved, so the Minnesota North Stars and Dallas Stars are counted separately.

As a hint, you can add up match penalties too and the answer doesn't change, and as far as I can tell both have been in the rulebook for most of the NHL's history.

Probably the Sabres. They employed every single goon out there at some point.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Probably the Sabres. They employed every single goon out there at some point.

Flyers have to be up there too off of the 70's alone.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The North Stars had some really goony teams in Minnesota too. I bet they're up there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Of course it's the drat dirty Flyers. They have had 476 game misconducts and 30 match penalties - well ahead of the second place Canucks (since 1967) but surprisingly also ahead of the original 6 all time, even though expansion teams have played fewer than 4000 games to the 6500-odd for original 6.

Anyway it's neat that the otherwise poorly designed NHL.com site lets you aggregate team stats going back to 1918:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...sGameMisconduct

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Flames have a crap load of cap space in the upcoming off season, but they'll want to re-sign Backlund and Jank.

I'd love for them to get a big ticket player. But they can just wait for Karlsson, if they want him. His contract runs out after 18-19. UFA wise, I'd rather have Mark Stone than make a big trade.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 20, 2018

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Yes, the Calgary Flames, who have two dynamite pairings and a pretty good third one should definitely trade for more defencemen and continue to have TROY BROUWER on the 2nd line.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

I know it’s just two games but this feels like Trotz falling into the same trap that did Boudreau in. “These good old Canadians say you guys gotta play the right way to win in the playoffs. Playoffs will be here in a couple months. You guys better start playing the right way if you want to beat Pittsburgh this year. You can’t expect to keep shooting 11%.” Playing the right way means the most skilled motherfuckers on the planet spend 55 minutes per game digging in the corners so guys like Brett Connolly and Jay Beagle can get a couple of hard hat scoring opportunities. Plus now we have stupid advanced stats which have no correlation to winning that poison their minds. I wish they’d bring in a Russian coach who never heard of Corsi or Darcy Tucker.

:stare:

My bullshit theory is they are chasing the 2017 Pittsburgh strategy of getting outshot every game in the playoffs and still winning. Except it won’t work because lol Capitals.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Mind_Taker posted:

:stare:

My bullshit theory is they are chasing the 2017 Pittsburgh strategy of getting outshot every game in the playoffs and still winning. Except it won’t work because lol Capitals.

I don’t agree with what he wrote exactly, but it’s clear to me that something that a coach’s performance used to be hard to quantify (besides Wins/Losses) and now there are metrics that can potentially be the difference between employed and unemployed. And also probably bonus structures.

Anyway that’s how I justify my coach playing Jake Dotchin as a top 2 defenseman while slater koekkoek rides the 5:00 TOI bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It turns out Bruce Cassidy is a good coach, so throw all your metrics out the window.

• Locked thread