Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn this is a lovely ending to a mostly pretty cool adventure path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Every aspect of this adventure is dumb as poo poo. (Unrelated: glad Way of the Wicked is back!)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:gonk:"A human centipede? How ghastly! "

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mumble grumble dramatic vampire slap fight on top of a train gramble mamble.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

I actually copyedited the YA books and wrote up a "Dinotopia Encyclopedia" of people, places, and things for our writers to reference. (James Gurney liked the idea and was talking about actually getting it published, but it never happened. Oh well.)

Selachian posted:

As for the encyclopedia, I may still have it buried somewhere on my computer, but even if it's still there I wrote it in ClarisWorks (this was, uh, a while ago), which Apple no longer supports, so I may not be able to even open it.

Robindaybird posted:

Looks like LibreOffice and Open Office can convert ClarisWorks
I've got to say, even if I'd ever wondered if this sort of thing existed, this isn't where I'd expect to discover it.

(do it do it do it)
(unless it'd get you legally gutted, then don't do it)

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 19, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So thread favorite Satyros Brucato finally released the RPG he kickstartered over 7 years ago.

If a picture is worth 1000 words then I think that cover is, in and of itself, a F&F review.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I think I just cut myself on the JPEG artifacts (and general edginess)

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

So thread favorite Satyros Brucato finally released the RPG he kickstartered over 7 years ago.

If a picture is worth 1000 words then I think that cover is, in and of itself, a F&F review.

I feel like I just experienced the emotional equivalent of drinking from the wrong cup in Last Crusade.

I also feel like I have some dark blood pact to review this in penance for never doing that Changing Breeds appendix but I'm fairly sure it'd upgrade the experience to "opening the Ark".

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I think all of that cover could still be fun except for the part where it says 'By Satyros Phil Brucato'.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sex magick, drugs magick and rock and roll magick before a bunch of gunslingers learn kung fu far out in that westerly place. What a timeline this is.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
stupid fucker wizard didn't tag it as Rock and Roleplay, rock and roll roleplaying sounds way worse than that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ratoslov posted:

I think all of that cover could still be fun except for the part where it says 'By Satyros Phil Brucato'.

Yeah, you can have fun going full ham on doing Heavy Metal Bards, Brutal Legend, or just exorcising demons with the power of rock at Madison Square Garden, but given who this is, how many pages will it take before we get how mystical it is to have sex with an underaged groupie

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm betting 30 pages or less.
and only one page for brucato to take all the fun out of roleplaying GWAR x Brutal legend.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, you can have fun going full ham on doing Heavy Metal Bards, Brutal Legend, or just exorcising demons with the power of rock at Madison Square Garden, but given who this is, how many pages will it take before we get how mystical it is to have sex with an underaged groupie

Knowing Brucato, on page 130, apropos of nothing else, is a sidebar espousing the wonders of loving a hermaphrodite dog. Also elsewhere there's a sidebar that explains that you cannot take "Death metal" as a skill since learning death metal will put you, the player's, soul at risk.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It says something about the depths to which Horrient has fallen that I went 'oh, yeah, that Romani guy's a cultist' before being richly rewarded not two paragraphs after. :geno:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, uh, yeah, I found a series of posts he wrote on Kickstarter about why it took him seven years to deliver a project and I kind of have to call dibs on reviewing this now.

It's remarkably honest about the issue: he made every crowdfunding mistake possible. I gotta see what came out the other side now.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
How does it hold up in comparison to Far West? Except being released of course ;)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Green Intern posted:

Really enjoying that Grumblejack's EVIL THIRST may only be quenched by Abyssal Mountain Dew

Just about everything with Grumblejack in the Adventure Path is great. There's a 7th book in the AP that collects extra material they couldn't fit in otherwise. There are 3 side quests where the players use pre-gen henchmen characters and get sent on missions with Grumblejack.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

quote:

'Like the Tantric Kundalini Sepent, such artists strike all chakras, riding from heaven to hell and back again while taking their audience with them. The majority, like Jimi Hendrix or the Doors, burn bright and fast, leaving legendary afterburns behind. A handful - David Bowie, Patti Smith - last long enough to become living gods, riding flames so bright and sacred that even they feel helpless in the blaze.'

This is on page 16. Strap the gently caress in, y'all, I think we hit a gold mine.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:coal:I was clearly unworthy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

This is on page 16. Strap the gently caress in, y'all, I think we hit a gold mine.

I'd say I'm sorry for bringing this to your attention but I'm not.
I'm really really not.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

I'd say I'm sorry for bringing this to your attention but I'm not.
I'm really really not.

I'm currently setting up a draft document for things to discuss and watching several professional game developers/authors I know scream their throats raw in horror/anger/amusement at his postmortem.

Also I'm already getting the sense that people that read this thread who have broader musical tastes and a better understanding of musical history and theory than I do are going to lose their loving minds at a lot of this. This is going to be a ride.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Drakyn posted:

I've got to say, even if I'd ever wondered if this sort of thing existed, this isn't where I'd expect to discover it.

(do it do it do it)
(unless it'd get you legally gutted, then don't do it)

I found the Dinotopia encyclopedia and I can open it with TextEdit, although the formatting is a bit wonky. And I doubt there's any legal issues -- there was no NDA involved, it's been at least a couple decades, and it's just a summary of stuff from the books anyway. I'm very busy this weekend but I will see if I can clean it up and put it up somewhere for those who are interested.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Would lay money down on opening fiction.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't wait to hear how rock has like, totally secretly existed since Pagan Times Maaaaaan, but has been suppressed by the shadowy Man for eons until it broke through in a primarily suburban-friendly context of new age mysticism that may also have been personally revealed to Phil 'Satyaros' Brucatto.

gently caress if I'm going to bother to spell his name right.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'd say make it a bet when Satyros' particular type of creepy pops in, but I'm not in a position to offer a thing, and it'd feel kind of weird to bet on when someone lets his freak flag fly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The answer is 'immediately' anyway.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Part 3: Maneuvers and Stances
Since I've been covering multiple chapters at a time I have not been showing you the title art for every chapter.
It's Wayne England art.

Just let that seep into your eyes.
RIP Wayne. He did some good art but he did not draw humans well

I'll be doing a rough summary of all of the disciplines but there's very little that holds true to all of them. Mainly there is at least one Maneuver and one Stance at level 1 for every discipline, and every discipline has exactly one level 9 Maneuver.

Desert Wind Maneuvers
Desert Wind is all about fire damage. Most of the maneuvers and boosts just let you deal extra fire damage on one strike, one of the boosts gives you rapid shot for melee attacks for one round(one extra attack but all of them are at -2). One of them lets you mark an enemy and cause them to erupt in a giant pillar of flame that's larger the bigger they are. Another lets you charge around the battlefield like a madman and leave behind a wall of fire in your wake. The stances aren't much to talk about except for the Rising Phoenix Stance, which lets you fly like a Phoenix. Apparently this means Phoenixes can't fly more than 10 feet above the ground and if they ever try they plummet to the ground and the stance ends. If you do a full attack while in the rising phoenix stance the super-heated column of air you're flying on literally bursts into flames and hurts people though. Which is neat.

The level 9 strike causes you to make a party unfriendly 60 foot radius burst of exactly 100 fire damage, reflex half.

Devoted Spirit
I feel like I need to go buy a van just so I can have this airbrushed on it.

Devoted spirit has all the healing strikes. They aren't much, the level 6 strike is just a Mass Cure Serious Wounds, and all of them require you to hit an opponent who opposes you on at least one alignment axis. Except the level 9 strike, which is heal if you hit someone who opposes your alignment.
Devoted spirit is also unique in that it has a stance and a charge for each of the four alignments. The good stance lets you heal other people when you hit with attacks. The Evil stance lets you leech health at a 50% return from your allies. The Law stance lets you say that a d20 is an 11 before you roll it once per round. But the Chaos Stance, Aura of Chaos, makes all of your damage dice explode if you roll max on them. The charges are all "If your charge hits an opponent who is the opposite of this move's alignment, you deal extra damage and get a bonus for one round."

There are also some tanking tools. A Stance that lets you ignore going below 1 HP so long as you can keep making your fortitude saves (Though you automatically exit the stance after making your third save), a stance that lets you ignore the 5-foot step and withdrawl when making attacks of opportunity, because all squares next to you are considered threatened. A Strike that slows people down. And a few strikes that just deal a respectable amount of damage because you're a Crusader and you don't really have access to those otherwise.

Diamond Mind
Diamond Mind is the Mind over Matter discipline. You crush your inferior human foes with the power of vulcanelven logic.
There's a series of strikes that require you to make a concentration check before your attack with a DC of the opponent's AC. If you succeed, and the attack hits, you deal extra damage, up to 4x damage with the level 8 strike. There's a series of counters that let you substitute Concentration checks for Fort, Reflex, or Will saves, with a capstone counter that lets you add your initiator level to a single save. The stances are all pretty defensive, one makes you harder to hit for each time you are missed in a single round. One gives you blindsense, another gives you a bonus to attacks and defense against one opponent in exchange for penalties to everyone else.

There's two more strikes to talk about. One lets you make attacks at a stacking -4 penalty(rather than -5) until you miss or your opponent dies. The level 9 strike, Time Stands Still, lets you take two full attack actions as a full round action. I take this time to remind you that the warblade gets full BAB.

Iron Heart
Iron Heart is all about being the best drat Swordsperson on the battlefield. Just to start, Adamantine Hurricane(lvl 8) lets you make two attacks at +4 to everyone enemy adjacent to you. There's a stance that gives you reach, a stance that gives you +10 to your movement speed(and an AC bonus if you actually move 10 feet) Counters that let you reroll attacks and saves. Boosts that let you heal yourself if you're below half HP. "Finishing Move" that deals extra damage the more wounded your opponent is. And the ability to throw your weapon in a line and attack everyone in it for a bunch of extra damage. The level 9 strike is just a single attack for +100 damage.

Then there's Iron Heart Surge.

quote:

Your fighting spirit, dedication, and training allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. When you use this maneuver, select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. That effect ends immediately. You also surge with confidence and vengeance against your enemies, gaining a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
The old Charop boards noted that a Drow Warblade with this boost could, rules as written, end sunlight.

Setting Sun
Setting sun is hard to pin down. It's a bunch of counters, stances and some strikes under the vague umbrella of "defensive" moves, several of which are better if your opponent is larger than you.

There's a series of strikes, including the level 9 strike, that let you trip and throw your opponent. The level 9 strike lets you run around the battlefield tripping and throwing everyone around you. It's really incongruous with the rest of the theme and I really just don't get what Setting Sun is supposed to be.

Shadow Hand
Shadow Hand is general darkness/shadow/negative energy/ninja poo poo. Most of them rely or enable the ability to become invisible, concealed, stealthed, etc. Which is good because there's a stance that gives you +2d6 sneak attack damage. There's a stance that lets you walk on air, some boosts that let you teleport through shadows. Strikes that poison, strikes that bleed, etc.

The level 9 strike is.. uhh... FIVE-SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE Where you strike your opponent in the heart with the POWER OF SHADOW which creeps into their body inflicting ability score damage and inflicting a temporary additional effect.

Stone Dragon
Stone Dragon is like Setting Sun in that it's kind of thematically all over the place, this is more because it's the workhorse discipline for all three martial classes. Notably there are a few strikes that let you deal bonus damage to creatures or objects and ignore DR and hardness. There are some defensive strikes and stances that give you DR or immunity to critical hits.

The level 9 strike is just a regular melee attack... that deals 2d6 con damage.

Tiger Claw
Tiger Claw is focused on two things. Making lots of consecutive attacks in a turn, and jumping over your opponent and attacking while midair. There are some outliers, like the "Rabid <ANIMAL> Strikes" that basically give you a guaranteed hit with extra damage, but give you a malus to your AC for a turn. The stances are mostly utility, one that gives you a +10 bonus to jump, one that gives you a stacking +1 to attack and damage rolls as long as you keep critting, one that lets you... grapple people with your weapons(?).. and one that lets you slowly work your way around your opponent as you attack them.

Gorillion Windmill Flesh Rip is a boost that deals extra damage to your opponent depending on how many times you successfully attacked them in the round, topping off at 20d6 damage if you somehow hit them 8 times. Then there's Feral Death Blow

quote:

You leap upon your opponent, rending and tearing with your weapons in an attempt to kill him with a brutally overwhelming assault. You grab onto your foe as you slash and hack at his neck, face, and other vulnerable areas.

To use this maneuver, you must be adjacent to your intended target. As part of this maneuver, make a Jump check with a DC equal to your opponent’s AC. If the check succeeds, you can then make a single melee attack against your foe, also as part of this maneuver. The target is considered fl at-footed against this attack. If your attack deals damage, your target must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 19 + your Str modifier). If this save fails, your
target is instantly slain (his hit points drop to –10). If the save is successful, you deal an extra 20d6 points of damage to the target in addition to your normal weapon damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the death effect of this strike.

If your Jump check fails, you can make a single attack normally. The maneuver is still considered expended.
Why yes, that is a level 9 Save or Die spell keyed to Strength.

White Raven
White raven is a weird mixture of tank abilities and things that would later manifest in the Warlord in 4e. Attacking and giving your allies bonuses on attacks, keeping an opponent from making AoOs, charging into battle and giving bonuses.

The level 9 strike lets you and everyone in 30 yards charge a single opponent all at once, you don't block LOS for determining charge targets, and for each person who charges you get a cumulative +2 bonus to attack rolls and everyone gets a flat bonus to damage. It's decent but hard to set off.

Next Time: Prestige Classes, yes of course there are loving prestige classes.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah no you've all lost the bet. Brucato technically had an editor here but it sure doesnt feel like it.

Fun fact, by the way, the PDF is copy locked in a ridiculous number of ways, for whatever reason. No direct editing, no copying, no saving as another format, no exporting any contents, no selecting any elements, no opening via word document...

but opening it in Firefox lets me copy the plain text as needed, as it appears they forgot about that trick :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

Yeah no you've all lost the bet. Brucato technically had an editor here but it sure doesnt feel like it.

Fun fact, by the way, the PDF is copy locked in a ridiculous number of ways, for whatever reason. No direct editing, no copying, no saving as another format, no exporting any contents, no selecting any elements, no opening via word document...

but opening it in Firefox lets me copy the plain text as needed, as it appears they forgot about that trick :v:

Yeah I was going to say (but was working on my update) did you see the cover with the heavily tattooed guitarist wearing only chains breathing fire?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

Yeah I was going to say (but was working on my update) did you see the cover with the heavily tattooed guitarist wearing only chains breathing fire?

I just came back here to post the reason it doesn't feel like he had an editor is because his wife is credited as the editor, as well as lead photographer, model for some of the photos, and some form of art director (I can't loving tell because the professional credits are written like band lineup positions.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I just want to say that Gorillion Windmill Flesh Rip is an amazing name for a move.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Daeren posted:

I just came back here to post the reason it doesn't feel like he had an editor is because his wife is credited as the editor, as well as lead photographer, model for some of the photos, and some form of art director (I can't loving tell because the professional credits are written like band lineup positions.)

Wait he's married?!?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Robindaybird posted:

Wait he's married?!?

Okay, looking again, the word partner was used, so maybe not married, but very much romantically entangled - that much is clear from the dedication and the kickstarter posts.

Still though, having your significant other invested in the project enough to be contributing act as your lead editor is, uh, rather likely to result in many of your own biases influencing the process, when you should be trying to avoid that via a neutral, unrelated editor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

Okay, looking again, the word partner was used, so maybe not married, but very much romantically entangled - that much is clear from the dedication and the kickstarter posts.

Still though, having your significant other invested in the project enough to be contributing act as your lead editor is, uh, rather likely to result in many of your own biases influencing the process, when you should be trying to avoid that via a neutral, unrelated editor.

I'll take this time to remind everyone that Beast was edited by Matt's wife.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I'll take this time to remind everyone that Beast was edited by Matt's wife.

...oh. Dear.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

I found the Dinotopia encyclopedia and I can open it with TextEdit, although the formatting is a bit wonky. And I doubt there's any legal issues -- there was no NDA involved, it's been at least a couple decades, and it's just a summary of stuff from the books anyway. I'm very busy this weekend but I will see if I can clean it up and put it up somewhere for those who are interested.
:neckbeard:
Hey, like everyone said, we could think of it as a quasi-unofficial Ryuutama sourcebook. No pressure though, just do it whenever you feel li

Daeren posted:

Actually we may need extra Ryuutama very quickly.
seriously though thanks

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daeren posted:

So, uh, yeah, I found a series of posts he wrote on Kickstarter about why it took him seven years to deliver a project and I kind of have to call dibs on reviewing this now.

It's remarkably honest about the issue: he made every crowdfunding mistake possible. I gotta see what came out the other side now.
Given that it actually came out I'm pretty sure he could have made a few more mistakes. Like did he drive himself bankrupts and lose his house because he took out a second or third mortgage on it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zereth posted:

Given that it actually came out I'm pretty sure he could have made a few more mistakes. Like did he drive himself bankrupts and lose his house because he took out a second or third mortgage on it?

and getting his rear end sued into the ground for breach of contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
He didn't take the money in order to go organize a convention, so there's that.