Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

OP's talking about The Avengers, which in fairness is legit old and way less common in reruns when I was a kid (and I'm kind of old). Still, I caught some episodes alongside Adam West Batman and Green Hornet episodes some weekends. Enough to know who Steed and Mrs. Peel are. And there was a bad movie in the 90s. But it was more of kind of show my dad watched when he was a kid than one I caught on Nick at Nite or something.

Probably depends on where you lived. As a Canada I watched a shitton of The Avengers growing up. Also The Saint, which has a terrifically terrible reboot pilot turned terrible movie on Netflix. I think Eliza Dushku was in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DivisionPost posted:

From what little I heard about RoboCop 3, I’m not sure you could blame Dekker for that.

It was a movie made on the cheap, for sure (Robert John Burke had like a day and a half to learn the RoboCop movements from Moni Yakim, and since he was built like a linebacker and was three inches taller than Weller, the suit didn't fit him at all--and with Robosuits costing about $300 grand a pop, lol at the idea of getting a new one made), but Dekker wrote it from notes that Frank Miller gave him, and he directed it, so...

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 19, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also they made it pg-13 for no reason.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh wow lol, that lovely Saint remake was Roger Moore's last movie. RIP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

It was a movie made on the cheap, for sure (Robert John Burke had like a day and a half to learn the RoboCop movements from Moni Yakim, and since he was built like a linebacker and was three inches taller than Weller, the suit didn't fit him at all--and with Robosuits costing about $300 grand a pop, lol at the idea of getting a new one made), but Dekker wrote it from notes that Frank Miller gave him, and he directed it, so...

Hey let's talk about what they did to the suit for Prime Directives!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Also they made it pg-13 for no reason.

There was a huge toyline associated with the movie; Orion, in its infinite wisdom, was aiming for a broader audience.

Then Orion went bankrupt and the movie was on the shelf for a year and a half after completion before it was shoved out in the dregs of November.

Rhyno posted:

Hey let's talk about what they did to the suit for Prime Directives!

That's my favorite anecdote. The production had money for exactly one Robosuit, so they spent the money on RoboCable. Rob Bottin agreed to lend the production his original suit from the original movie, the suit from which all other molds were made, for Page Fletcher's use, on the condition that they don't beat the poo poo out of it.

Well, Page Fletcher is like 5'7" on a good day and the suit was too big for him. What did Julian Grant tell the prop crew to do? Take a hacksaw to the legs and remove a few inches so Fletcher could fit.

Bottin was less than pleased when the suit was returned to him.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 19, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

esperterra posted:

Probably depends on where you lived. As a Canada I watched a shitton of The Avengers growing up. Also The Saint, which has a terrifically terrible reboot pilot turned terrible movie on Netflix. I think Eliza Dushku was in it.

I remember seeing that piece of poo poo Saint movie when it was in theaters, my brother wanted to go see it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

raditts posted:

I remember seeing that piece of poo poo Saint movie when it was in theaters, my brother wanted to go see it.

I think I watched maybe half of it and had to stop, it was so bad Dushku couldn't get me to finish it. Shame, too. I remember the last The Saint movie they made being decent. Probably doesn't help this recent one was supposed to be a pilot, but it was bad even without taking that into consideration.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wtf there was a 2017 The Saint movie?!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I used to watch that with Get Smart, Gomer Pyle USMC, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis so its still a thin line here about how old we are and how much Nick at Nite we watched.

And probably how often your dad made you watch shows from his childhood like mine did.

I liked Get Smart but I don't think that kind of humor plays anymore. Just like you don't see Mel Brooks type movies or parodies like Hot Shots or Naked Gun anymore.

I would watch the gently caress out of a Mr Ed revival though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

Wtf there was a 2017 The Saint movie?!

Yep, failed attempt at making a new series. It's bad but not so bad it's good so I can't recommend it, unless you really want some Eliza Dushku in your life. And even then ...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

I liked Get Smart but I don't think that kind of humor plays anymore. Just like you don't see Mel Brooks type movies or parodies like Hot Shots or Naked Gun anymore.

I would watch the hell out of a Hot Shots Part Tres. Those movies are so corny but I love ‘em.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

Just like you don't see Mel Brooks type movies or parodies like Hot Shots or Naked Gun anymore.

Angie Tribeca

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Oh, I'm not advocating it any more than I think Vaudeville will return. But like the Avengers is just a spy show with flashy gear and a sexy leading lady. That's kind of always in style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Hot Shots Part Tres. Those movies are so corny but I love ‘em.

I would hate to see a modern zuckers and abrahams comedy. They're trumpsters last I checked.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 19, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Spy was like, two years ago?
I mean, I don't remember anything about it, but it was definitely a parody.

The Get Smart movie with Steve Carell wasn't that long ago either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 19, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I would hate to see a modern zuckers and abrahams comedy. They're trumpsters last I checked.

Awww man, that’s sad to hear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Awww man, that’s sad to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3GPc_yMCE

Even the republicans were too embarrassed to use this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Finished End of the loving World and... It's alright. It's pretty similar to most other dreary British dramas that overload with shock and teen swearing.

The ending is laughably terrible too.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

esperterra posted:

Yep, failed attempt at making a new series. It's bad but not so bad it's good so I can't recommend it, unless you really want some Eliza Dushku in your life. And even then ...

Wait there are people who want more Eliza Dushku?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

whowhatwhere posted:

Uh, yes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

whowhatwhere posted:

Always. Preferably playing the one character type she's good at, but I'll take a badly acted Dushku over no Dushku tbh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't say I've ever felt strongly about needing more or less Eliza Dushku.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's get that Faith the Vampire Slayer show rolling.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife wrote a thing about Aziz that is actually the real lesson to take away from this story:

https://ravishly.com/aziz-ansaris-sexual-misconduct

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Mick, season 2, episode 6 "The Matriarch," is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't feel good talking poo poo about someone who recently came out with a story about abuse, but Eliza Dushku's entire acting range is furrowing her brow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

I don't feel good talking poo poo about someone who recently came out with a story about abuse, but Eliza Dushku's entire acting range is furrowing her brow.

Hell, even she seems to admit she's best at playing Faith/Missy types. She's got barely any range but the role she does play well she plays p drat well, at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Which makes Dollhouse an extremely confusing venture.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc it only got made because Dushku had a series pending on her 2 show contract for FOX (the other being Tru Calling). So it was a passion project for her and Whedon together.

Still think someone else should have played Echo, but the supporting cast more than made up for her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SHe seems to be a genuinely good person, she's funny and she was Faith.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've only ever heard the best stories about her from coworkers and fans, she seems like a super chill, genuine person. Dushku's p dope.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it seems like women get called out for being one-note more often than men do. i mean chris pratt is the same in every role. i don't have any strong feelings for dushku one way or t'other but i don't think being one-note is a de facto crime against media

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Britannia is pretty great, Roman invasion of Britain, Druids, Celts, chicks with bows. The Governor as the head Roman.

I like it a alot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

it seems like women get called out for being one-note more often than men do. i mean chris pratt is the same in every role. i don't have any strong feelings for dushku one way or t'other but i don't think being one-note is a de facto crime against media

Me neither, or I wouldn't love her so much despite her shortcomings in some roles.

And yeah Pratt is typecast af. I don't know if I can call him one note til I see him attempting a different type of role tho. Does he have any dramatic stuff under his belt to look at, anyway?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B85lYenaxE

New trailer for Heathers, which looks pleasingly well shot and put together.

And, look, I know a lot of people are going to be upset by the central concept behind the revamp, but I legit think it could absolutely work. The original is absolutely bleak loving satire, but I think you couldn't do it again -- it's been watered down and normalised over the years to the point where its original points are really quite easy to digest. (e.g. Mean Girls). I think it's most obvious with the musical adaptation -- which I love -- which is softer than the film version, which is, itself, softer than the original script was going to be.

I've seen a lot of people argue that the new season -- it looks like it's a sequel, not a remake, and has Shannon Doherty back as a Heather -- will be about tearing down minorities, and is throwing in turnabout for the sake of it, but after seeing that trailer I disagree that they're actually going in that direction.

Any revamp, if it wanted to have the same black satirical quality, needed to have a nasty edge. Upending the highschool foodchain, and presenting Veronica as even crazier than the original Veronica, seems to be the way to do it -- it shifts minorities to the centre of the narrative rather than leaving them to play at the edges of the story, and shifts the criticism from attacking white female power structures (which, like I said, has been done an awful lot). It becomes a criticism of backlash culture, and the cultural need to destroy minorities.

Or maybe not. Either way, I'm just more excited at this point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

yeah no this looks absolutely god loving awful, like "MTV's Skins" level of unnecessary and bad

i had literally no idea this was even being made until i clicked that link, so, you know, thanks for that :mad:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

And yeah Pratt is typecast af. I don't know if I can call him one note til I see him attempting a different type of role tho. Does he have any dramatic stuff under his belt to look at, anyway?

There's the sci-fi movie Passengers from a year or two ago, in which he literally dooms a woman to certain death because he's horny.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's still quippy, goofy Pratt in that tho.

What a weird Sleeping Beauty adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I didn't know any better I'd think that Heathers trailer was made by Ryan Murphy.