Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Popete posted:

I'd install StarForce for a modern Falcon game.
drat son :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Popete posted:

Hell, I'd even reinstall Flash.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I miss the old Jane’s Combat Sims manuals with all the stats in them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hey Chump Farts, do your turn already.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

cool new Metroid game posted:

meh the mission editor doesn't let me set up custom waypoints in advance or coordinate various elements of a strike package

Is there any way to have planes hang out at an area or point after launch? That would make life easier for me, because then you could stage up strike packages before attempting to coordinate.

Custom waypoints would be great for terrain masked approaches.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

you can launch the planes without a mission and use f3 to set up custom waypoints and f2 to piss about with their height and speed and then assign them their missions when they are where you want them.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Hav posted:

Is there any way to have planes hang out at an area or point after launch? That would make life easier for me, because then you could stage up strike packages before attempting to coordinate.

Create a point or zone with a patrol mission called "Marshal." Then you can just assign planes to that mission and they will fly there and wait.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hav posted:

I do what pthighs said or I make a support mission and have them run a racetrack back and forth.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Popete posted:

Without a blink. Same.

Other things I’d do:
-40$ monthly
-800$ sign in fee

Like, I’m saying this with a serious face. If 800$ would be between me and Falcon 5.0, I’d click the button with no remorse.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Quick, someone tell Chris Roberts.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Pharnakes posted:

Quick, someone tell Chris Roberts.

then it'll never get released as they keep on promising to add more and more insane poo poo. like a full simulation of arming and fueling up the plane where you and your friends can be these guys

with fully realistic ammo cart and fuel pipe physics

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

then it'll never get released as they keep on promising to add more and more insane poo poo. like a full simulation of arming and fueling up the plane where you and your friends can be these guys

with fully realistic ammo cart and fuel pipe physics PT belt and SHARP PowerPoint briefings.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pthighs posted:

Create a point or zone with a patrol mission called "Marshal." Then you can just assign planes to that mission and they will fly there and wait.

Thanks, that'll help sync helos up with the jets. Can you get packages to follow set ingress way points, or do you just go low as possible and hope they terrain mask?

Sorry, missed;

you can launch the planes without a mission and use f3 to set up custom waypoints and f2 to piss about with their height and speed and then assign them their missions when they are where you want them.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 18, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i want a ug:cw mod that replaces all sound effects with rips from sid meier's civil war

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StashAugustine posted:

i want a ug:cw mod that replaces all sound effects with rips from sid meier's civil war

Same, because the music in UG:CW is copyrighted.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Not sure it really goes here but figure people would be interested in it.

Nantucket released today, I had never heard of it before. It's a 1800's whaling card/dice game where you captain a whaling vessel sailing the oceans hunting whales and doing other random side quests. Manage your crew who level up as they gain experience, buy new and larger ships and upgrade the harpoons and sails etc.

Only just started playing it but so far it's fun and the visual art is fantastic.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/621220/Nantucket/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Nantucket released today, I had never heard of it before. It's a 1800's whaling card/dice game where you captain a whaling vessel sailing the oceans hunting whales and doing other random side quests. Manage your crew who level up as they gain experience, buy new and larger ships and upgrade the harpoons and sails etc.

Only just started playing it but so far it's fun and the visual art is fantastic.

I want this, but worse graphics and allow me to design my own whales and you have my 20 bux.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Moby-Dick clearly shows Melville was a grognard.

Also, thanks for the heads up, I think I will check this out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Popete posted:

Whaling huh? Does an indifferent god bestow great power upon a random member of my crew?

That game actually looks loving awesome and thank you for alerting me to its existence.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I want this, but worse graphics and allow me to design my own whales and you have my 20 bux.

This but the only way to buy it is for a dude to email you a serial key personally a day or two after purchasing.

Rule the Whales

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I built the ultimate whale, offensive capabilities of an Orca with the endurance of a Grey Whale.

Only problem is I forget to add fins so it can't swim.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my sperm whale obsolete before it even gets outta dry dock

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Need full cetacean stats added to TO&E immediately, thanks Belugan.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the prototype whale aviation squadron was an expensive blind alley

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm reading a book about French Warships during the age of sail and there was a ship designer in the 1760s named Antoine Groignard

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Popete posted:

I built the ultimate whale, offensive capabilities of an Orca with the endurance of a Grey Whale.

Only problem is I forget to add fins so it can't swim.

Grey (Whale) Hunter's Moby Dick, day by day

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is UG:CW always balls hard or is it just that it starts off with 1 division of green Union troops against rebels with artillery?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

This game owns so far. Deserves its own thread, maybe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StashAugustine posted:

Is UG:CW always balls hard or is it just that it starts off with 1 division of green Union troops against rebels with artillery?

It doesn't get any easier. In my rebel campaign I've only just finished Shiloh and I've had to rebuild my corps twice. And all the good guns in the armory went to brigades that don't exist anymore.

Balls hard is ok, getting the campaign victory achievements is going to feel good.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Popete posted:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

*slowly pushes all the 4X and grand strategy games that include slavery out of view*

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had an event pop up in Nantucket, my captain had stumbled upon two of my crewmen "in a salacious act". One of the options was to join in and we would all gain the "sodomy" trait as well as a morale boost but since one of the members had earlier caught syphilis it also had a chance for everyone else to contract syphilis as well.

I opted to ignore the incident and pretend I hadn't heard them behind the barrels.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Grognard Games Megathread - we would all gain the "sodomy" trait as well as a morale boost

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

*slowly pushes all the 4X and grand strategy games that include slavery out of view*

A trick in Master of Orion 2 was to try and ship people to another planet, but then make sure that there wasn't any room for them, which causes them to burn up in the atmosphere.

This was really useful if you were playing as a Democracy and couldn't commit genocide proactively.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

not sure if I go all-in on maxing out my captain's skill points in Futile Vengeance Against The Sea or if I should spread them out among Leading My Crew To Their Deaths and Being Dramatically Undone By My Mad Obsessions

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
nantucket is brilliant so far, just finished the tutorial.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mllaneza posted:

It doesn't get any easier. In my rebel campaign I've only just finished Shiloh and I've had to rebuild my corps twice. And all the good guns in the armory went to brigades that don't exist anymore.

Balls hard is ok, getting the campaign victory achievements is going to feel good.

IMO it does get a little bit easier but the first mission is kinda hard at first. Still, I suppose you gotta learn to attack and it's not too hard once you understand the game.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tbh I had the same impulse. I get how it's faintly ridiculous given what else I've done while gaming but somehow massacring whales for their literal phat lewt is bumming me out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Tbh I had the same impulse. I get how it's faintly ridiculous given what else I've done while gaming but somehow massacring whales for their literal phat lewt is bumming me out.

This is you. You are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Welcome to the grognard thread where helping Hitler win ww2 is fine but hunting a whale is not