Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

Is this a 'thing' or are we just making up moves now?

I'm guessing the Grey Knights have all kinds of ridiculous faith based poo poo we haven't seen so I'm spitballing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Cawww

It was a race, and she knew it.

Edourd’s mind was losing coherance, and with it the golem outside was losing strength. Clouds of hydrochloric acid and flourine gas pooled around him, punishing his will even further, and her ravens were tearing into him from the inside out. Given even a few minutes, he would break under the pressure, catatonic or dead, and she would be free.

But she needed a few minutes. The wards were powerful, built for someone like her. Or, at least, a much weaker version. A few minutes, and she would win - this they both knew. But on the other side of things … well. She had to hurry. In the distance, amongst the breaking clouds, stars were approaching like the cold light of fae.

-

Blackfinger raised his eyebrows. “Always a pleasure to watch professionals.”

The rest of the bridge staff could only agree wordlessly. Indeed, they were silently fixed on the screens, the fleet of Grey Knights moving with the skill that only millenia of training could provide. They had avoided the multiple waves of cannon fire as if they had rehearsed for exactly that event - and who knew, maybe they had.

Now they were breaking from the shuttles, drop pods plummeting towards their target, the daimon-golem once called Edourd. Psyker energy was already radiating from them like heat waves, hexagrammatic wards forming out of pure nothingness in the emptiness of space. As more pods landed, the wards grew ever stronger. Bursting from within the golem, clouds of ravens railed against them in ever greater numbers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

I'm guessing the Grey Knights have all kinds of ridiculous faith based poo poo we haven't seen so I'm spitballing.

dont be mean to me posted:

Edit: ^ ^ ^ ... now? :confused:

:ocelot: :)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I feel like we're forgetting our magos background. It's time to start cheating. Connect a processor to a binding circle and have it start brute-forcing her true name. I'd bet with a little optimization we could be doing thousands of tries per second, and appropriate heuristics will let us trim down the pool of possibilities pretty drat quickly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Just don't make the stars go out this time* and we're cool.

Does heresy even mean anything anymore?

*Arthur.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Karia posted:

I feel like we're forgetting our magos background. It's time to start cheating. Connect a processor to a binding circle and have it start brute-forcing her true name. I'd bet with a little optimization we could be doing thousands of tries per second, and appropriate heuristics will let us trim down the pool of possibilities pretty drat quickly.

I think this is an absolutely brilliant suggestion that brings us back to our roots. Nicely loving done dude.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Red queen

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

Anna chuckled morosely at the thought, but kept at it. The stars around her had formed a lattice of razorwire - if she was a thousand feet tall, they were the net that wrapped kilometers around her. Each node was a Grey Knight, and with every breath they came slowly closer. If she tried to fight them all at once, they would wear her down.

Instead, she wielded her immense power as a sledgehammer. Target a node, smash it to nothing. Each swing killed a Grey Knight beyond repair - but each time she focused on one, the others took their chance to push forward. If she killed enough of them, there would be a hole large enough to escape from Edourd. If they got close enough, her mobility would decrease, and eventually her ever-so-powerful hammer would be tied to her body. Powerful, yes, but useless.

Just keep swinging, Anna. Just keep swinging.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

*Arthur.

This is a good read :D

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Loel posted:

This is a good read :D

I LOVE this short story! Always have.

Also, +1 to brute forcing Anna's name.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Attack Anna directly while screaming her true name while beating on her with DISCO BOT

"FAILURE. MISTAKE. ABBERATION. BROKEN. PRETENDER. I AM OHONE KONICHEV AND MY HAMMER IS BIGGER THAN YOURS."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anastasiya Fabiyanovna Konicheva

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Xarbala posted:

Oooh, yes, following proper Slavic naming conventions.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Xarbala posted:

:allears:

edit: Also, our first Name was 100% on, second name 60% or so. A weak bind, but good enough to move forward.

Next name is who she is. Not what she calls herself, but who she is. Ark's idea on the third Name is as follows:

quote:

Lastly, and this one is a bit more esoteric. "The Beast called I" . This carries double meaning, first being that we recognize that She is ourself, sure she lived a different experience but her soul is just a facet of the one called Ohone. That recognition means we can see her bare soul and KNOW it, the core of a power word. Secondly, and most important is that we understand her soul. Anna has likely lived so many iterations of reality that nothing else really is real or exists to her. Like when Bill Murray had his god phase in Groundhog Day. People are just little actors, they don't exist with consequence and thus aren't real. Anna is alone in her existence and thus her soul reflects that in its solipsisim and by understanding that we understand her and complete the power word.

Other suggestions, of course, are welcome :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 20, 2018

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I nominate that ohone "Binds Anna to the Wheel".

This is a cycle. Its was a cycle and it will continue to be a cycle. No matter how hard you struggle you are chained to fate and when the Wheel turns it will drag you with it, no matter how many extra links you forge to extend it. The time is now Anna and we bind you to what you have always been bound to.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

*Arthur.

I'd totally forgotten about that story! It's phenomenal.

The naive approach would give us O(26^n) where n is the number of letters, which is goddamn terrible, but based on the linked xkcd article we should be able to get that down to O(2^n), roughly, and I'd bet we can do much better than that if we've got good family history trees to start from. Let's assume an upper bound of 20 letters, we should have maybe a million possible combinations. That isn't bad at all, though obviously it depends on how many cycles we can do per second. In the grim-dark space future have they solved P ≠ NP yet?

https://what-if.xkcd.com/34/

But in more seriousness: I feel like Anna's true name may have something to do with insecurity, weakness, and being trapped by fate. She grew up oppressed on the Beast, to the extent that she had to turn to the Darkness to secure any power at all (if I'm remembering her history right.) Even now, despite the fronts she puts on she's still a weak player in the absolute sense: effectively enslaved by Tzeench having her soul and doomed to spend her whole life putting together Athena's components to help someone else fight Loki. Better than anyone, she knows that she can't escape fate, can't alter her or any one else's destiny, even more so if she is us or our daughter or something. She seeks to gain power (pretty sure she's going to angle for stabbing Tzeench and taking over his post at some point) not for its own sake, but to gain some measure of control over her own destiny that despite all appearances she's never actually had. I'm not much good at this sort of word-play, but my nomination would be The One Trapped by Fate.

But it's been a long day and I'm not remembering everything we know about her so this could be totally off base.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

"The Beast called I"

Arkanomen posted:

I nominate that ohone "Binds Anna to the Wheel".

Karia posted:

The One Trapped by Fate.

I feel we're getting too complicated and too poetic about this.

Think about who You are, and what 'name' would best represent the the sum total of your experience.

How did you get here, what made you like this, on what foundation were you built.

To be, this is a base concept, something raw, guttural, one word.

Hunger, Ambition, Fear, Lust, Anger, Betrayal, Indifference, Hate, Love, Greed.

I don't recall every scene that Anna was in, so help me out thread. What is the one unifying characterictic that drove everything she did. What single concept or idea led her to be a thousand foot tall squawking Daemon?

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Survival or Desperation, IME

I'm agreeing with the final binding being technologically constructed. It's what we're an absolute expert on.

YOOHOO FABIYAN WHERE THE gently caress YOU AT I HAVE A GIFT PROJECT FOR YOU, YOU CAN RAISE HIM LIKE A SON

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 20, 2018

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
I have a question!

Did Loel ever explicitly say that the proto-god forming in the black hole that was Sol is necessarily an evil Acheronic one? Because what if that's actually the Empress?

Think about it. We blow up Sol, and not even a month later, the big E tells Loki to shove off.

What do we know about where she ended up after her throne was usurped by the deceiver?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

mepstein73 posted:

Did Loel ever explicitly say that the proto-god forming in the black hole that was Sol is necessarily an evil Acheronic one? [b]Because what if that's actually the Empress?

Weren't the posts about the porto-god specifically about how it was impossible to look at because of how horrifically mind-bending it is?

I'd imagine we'd have 'some' clue if it was an Empress Embryo?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Get in the loving cage Ugly Duckling. Bawk Bawk.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

He’s not management material

You had seen Anna unleashed once before, on Agatha’s World. You hadn’t liked it then either.

At the time, Anna and Gorgon had been feasting on a million elven souls, and you were exposed to the raw Acheronic energies. Even now, you only remembered it in flashes, and in nightmares. It had lost you years of your life, cast across the galaxy, and took years to recover. Here, at least, you were within a framework you familiar with.

The Inquisitorial barriers placed within Edourd matched what you had been trained on, and they had been explicitly built to hold creatures like Anna. Not as powerful as her, perhaps - the barriers were already straining against her - but enough for a little bit. Outside the cage, the full might of the Grey Knights were attempting to lock her down - outside the cage, the Grey Knights were dying one by one.

Above you, vast and powerful, the soul of Anna was breaking a Nephilim legion over her knee.

Which meant she wasn’t paying attention to you.

You could see her reasoning, certainly. You weren’t a powerful psyker, using your will to trap her forever. You weren’t specialized in fighting daimons, and your rare interactions with them rarely went well. Situations like this, you relied on people like Edourd and Limosa. Instead, you were a peerless Technomancer with a will of iron, in a place where will derived reality.

Heh.

The traditional method of binding a daimon was to know their names, and Anna had been very particular about hiding hers. Any daimon worth the name was. It would take decades of research, maybe centuries, to find her secret and most powerful Name. Or, well, you could just brute force it and try summoning every name till you found the right one.

That did sound like something you’d do.

Your mind reached out, encouraged Edourd. He was bound to you by Inquisitorial and Family programming, and responded to your will. In moments, a Naming machine was in front of you, bound by sigils and chains. In moments, it was speaking millions of Names, and thousands of daimons began to spawn around you.

You pursed your lips.

This was still probably a good idea.

Probably.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
This is bad, but with the machine we can compel these daimons to just gently caress each other and Anna up.

We can pull the Grey Knights back and away from Anna and have them turtle up on Edouard. She's contained for now and with the daimons coming out by the 1000s she will have to change focus to avoid getting zerg rushed.

Meanwhile we have to grey knights away from the storm so we can clean up the summoned Daimons after the Edouard-ball snaps shut.

Pull our knights back into defense around Edouard and let the newly summoned daimons do their thing, which is kill everything around them that isn't their self

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:chiyo:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

Pull our knights back into defense around Edouard and let the newly summoned daimons do their thing, which is kill everything around them that isn't their self

Wouldn't that mean killing all of us, and not just turning them loose on Anna?

Also, wouldn't pulling the Knights back mean loosening the grip on Anna, and giving her a chance to break out?

Where's Fabs, Limosa, and the other Eidolons by the way?

@Loel; since we're going with the brute force method, I'd like to float the idea of putting in a 'constraint', that being the concept of Vanity.

I've been giving it some thought; Anna's fundamental motivations and drives seem to revolve around her Vanity. As such, I'd like to start the brute force method around that pillar.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Splendid. Ill do a sorting algorithm with +Darkness and +Vanity, and see what we get :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Add in +Inevitability. This has has happened before, its happening now, it will happen again. The wheel turns

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Splendid. Ill do a sorting algorithm with +Darkness and +Vanity, and see what we get :D

Arkanomen posted:

Add in +Inevitability. This has has happened before, its happening now, it will happen again. The wheel turns

Nice.

I'm also assuming our dear little Ohone has put in the usual filters such as searching for actual words only, avoiding triplicates of the same letters, removing numbers and special characters, that sort of thing?

In my head the 'brute force' machine is the code breaker setup they made at Bletchley Park.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Also have it seeded with family dynasty names.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

and epithets such as Resplendent, Splendorous, Magnificent, etc

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hexenritter posted:

and epithets such as Resplendent, Splendorous, Magnificent, etc

Yeah, failure, misanthrope, joke, hack, worthless, betrayer

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Dodo. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

They are coming

The first binding was Darkness, and the first name was Darkness.

With an infinite number of daimon / concepts, turns out there are a lot of things that respond when you call to the Darkness.

Most of them - well over 99% - disentigrated instantly upon arrival. Between the strength of Edourd's wards, the violence of Anna's defense, and the inexorable push of the Grey Knights, most daimons couldn't survive a moment. They were destroyed, unmade, even as they arrived. More where they came from, of course, but for a moment the universe was just a little bit brighter.

A few, of course, would survive a bit longer. Four of them stood before you, and you know their names as if they had been carved in your soul. Engulf the Meek, Abyssal Scar, Scouring the Avaricious, and Analyzing the Unwise. Each of them were close to three meters in height, and had birdlike traits - feathers, claws. Staring, unblinking eyes. And each them wore the silver bracelet of a first binding, and written upon it was Darkness.

They were midrange in power, that you knew. Strong enough to survive in this place, but not of the tier of Anna, or even a tenth of her. Still, any one of them could destroy an army of conventional troops, or corrupt a city that had formerly been faithful for millenia. Together, they were ... formidable.

Your machine was still speaking, still summoning more enemies in the endless attempt to find Anna's name. Daimons flickered in and out of existence faster then you could follow, even as the four before you stretched and preened, waiting for some unknown signal. In the distance, amidst the detonations of warheads and the howling of Acheron, something was coming.

Black Crown of the Horizon. and Burning Storm

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Command Anna to yield her name to us and accept binding or we will continue to summon demons and eventually Gorgon and force the issue

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 25, 2018

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The idea behind threatening to summon Gorgon is to knock Anna off her perch and make her realize that she has two options.

One is to continue to struggle against accepting Ohone's command. She may be able to break free or she might not. In either way she or her new faction will be heavily wounded and prey for the teeming predators we are summoning by the thousands.

Anna should know that in a game of chicken Ohone will not only never blink, she will keep driving over the cliff because she hooked a chain to your bumper and by the Empress she is taking you with her so she can use your body as a protection from the impact.

Anna knows that if we say we are summoning Gorgon that we will summon it right here, right now and gently caress you for making us do this. So Anna has a choice and if she would put her ego aside for a moment she would realize that joining with Ohone is limiting, humiliating and sucks but is still a position of massive influence and power. Anna is family, and family comes first, even if youre an acheronic daimon.

Anna got played. She trusted her little helper a little too much and exposed a vulnerability because who would be insane enough to try to bind an arch daimon inside a mad psion after calling in planet cracking weapons on herself. Its ill conceived, suicidal at best, half cocked and an in every way bad idea.

But this is Ohone. Nothing is sacred, there are no rules and every hand is all-in.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

Anna got played. She trusted her little helper a little too much and exposed a vulnerability because who would be insane enough to try to bind an arch daimon inside a mad psion after calling in planet cracking weapons on herself. Its ill conceived, suicidal at best, half cocked and an in every way bad idea.

Put yourself in Anna's shoes, would she ever except this argument?

Hell, imagine it was you being bound, would you accept that argument?

I know I wouldn't.

You want to summon my Boss so he can kill everyone, although he might spare me, or, I submit to you and be your puppet, which might as well be death.

I don't see the upside here.

***** e: grammar *****

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I bet Anna’s taken some of our insults to heart. Use some of them as seeds.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Are we just saving Fabs for later or what? He should probably be here and helping get rid of the excess bullshit our machine is calling up.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

CourValant posted:

Put yourself in Anna's shoes, would she ever except this argument?

Hell, imagine it was you being bound, would you accept that argument?

I know I wouldn't.

You want to summon my Boss so he can kill everyone, although he might spare me, or, I submit to you and be your puppet, which might as well be death.

I don't see the upside here.

***** e: grammar *****

Gorgon isn't Anna's boss. Gorgon is the only being to rival her in power. They fought to a stalemate.

If I was Anna I wouldn't accept the demand as right now we have no leverage. We call in Gorgon the situation changes. Either Anna join us to fight the common enemy or we all die.

Right now we are banking on being able to contain Anna and handle the daimons we are summoning by guessing her name. I don't know if we can win with the current rate of attrition and if we do we will be heavily weakend on top of everyone in Acheron knowing that onenof the biggest players just went down.

I'm banking on Anna's refusal to die. She's already accepted being chained to one being, so we can reasonably assume she will accept folding on a bad hand rather than playing it out. We also then force the confrontation with Gorgon, something we will have to do anyway. The longer we wait the stronger Gorgon gets.

I think pulling out this trump card is the best shot we have of clearing up a lot of opposition quickly.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Funny idea try our original name before becoming a tech priest, maybe see our feral self show up hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Toughy posted:

Funny idea try our original name before becoming a tech priest, maybe see our feral self show up hahahaha

Interrupt the machine and try this!