Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Tomn posted:

You just KNOW the Forerunners were all smilingly mysterious about it, too. "Why, yes, it iS interesting that we look the same, isn't it? How remarkable. What a mystery! Good luck working it out!"

We all know it's just an alternate version of Interstellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Yvonmukluk posted:

I literally had Human Forerunners (enigmatic observers) as my first contact for a UNE game. I like to think the response to first contact by my empire was basically :staredog:

Obviously your backwater craphole houses humans descendants of the worst criminals that they left behind when they retreated into their current borders.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Obviously your backwater craphole houses humans descendants of the worst criminals that they left behind when they retreated into their current borders.
Great, Earth is space Australia.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I literally had Human Forerunners (enigmatic observers) as my first contact for a UNE game. I like to think the response to first contact by my empire was basically :staredog:

"No, we don't look like you, you look like us. We came first."

And then Earth hosed them up for being a bunch of smug pricks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Splicer posted:

Great, Earth is space Australia.

I could buy that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gowb posted:

When do we get a mono gender race of sexy green alien ladies

Authoritarian monarchy, -15% penalty against fighting space pirates, right?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
If I remember my Star Trek, the space babes WERE the space pirates, and the men were fronts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Is there any worthwhile mod that adds Star Control 2 races as portraits?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Baronjutter posted:

Really? I noticed the same-portrait thing but never the same type. So like a human xenophobe will be less xenophobic against space elves than they will be against space birds?

At least I think so. There's definitely a couple of degrees of xenophobia. You also get a slight malus if you're a xenophobe and have gene-modded pops living together with un-modded or differently modded pops.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Well, I think I might start a new LP once cherryh is released? I lost interest in the one I'm doing due to these major version updates.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHjQr9QlNL4
This is really cute. I really like all of Paradox's live action commercial stuff.

That Mechwarrior was perfect. :swoon:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there any worthwhile mod that adds Star Control 2 races as portraits?

The only thing that would do them justice would be if they were .gifs

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CrazyLoon posted:

The only thing that would do them justice would be if they were .gifs

Seems like animations do exist in that open source sc2 project. Or are they video clips? Either way it seems like someone could rip those out and convert them to a compatible format.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
"why do planets give bonuses if you cant colonize them !!!11!1!1!!" - a few users

I got ya fam
(planets and their moons can now give the orbiting habitat a minor bonus)

I hope that stops the complaining lol. Some users..

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman posted:

"why do planets give bonuses if you cant colonize them !!!11!1!1!!" - a few users

I got ya fam

That is actually a really nice addition because it means there are now optimal habitat positions while previously they were basically the same wherever.

Would it be possible to have stars add a bonus/malus to energy output on habs too? As they use solar arrays?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

I got ya fam

Wiz I hope you're seeing at this and also writing emails with !!! in the subject.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

That is actually a really nice addition because it means there are now optimal habitat positions while previously they were basically the same wherever.

Would it be possible to have stars add a bonus/malus to energy output on habs too? As they use solar arrays?

Yeah definitally possible. Good idea too since I do have star modifiers.

I also have periodic star output cycles now. Happens randomly on a few stars every 10 years, some stars have reduced output (-10% energy for entire solar system) and some have increased (+10% energy).
Works well and is very dynamic. I plan to add more stuff for stars that way too so the universe feels a bit less static.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like the events that come from some of the planet modifiers, really nice having a bit of dynamism in the galaxy.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I do like the events that come from some of the planet modifiers, really nice having a bit of dynamism in the galaxy.

Killing off all the symbiotic parasite in the galaxy with Shrek robots was a good time.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
"Oh no, this planet has suspicious eggs on it!"

*Colonizes as a race of custodians, deploys single giant kill robot*

"Welp, that'll be a problem that solves itself in time. :toot:"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Guilliman posted:

I got ya fam

Guilliman posted:

Yeah definitally possible. Good idea too since I do have star modifiers.

I also have periodic star output cycles now. Happens randomly on a few stars every 10 years, some stars have reduced output (-10% energy for entire solar system) and some have increased (+10% energy).
Works well and is very dynamic. I plan to add more stuff for stars that way too so the universe feels a bit less static.

You are a true goon hero

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Guilliman posted:

I got ya fam

Guilliman, you're a Modder and a Gentleman.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is that a mod? If so where do I get it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Guilli's planet modifiers on the workshop

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Guilli's planet modifiers on the workshop

Oh I didn't realize that was this poster.

Guilli, your mod owns and is one of the few I consider near essential. Thanks for being great!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I put a habitat on a planet orbiting a black hole and didn't get the achievement. :(

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You need to be in Ironman mode and can't have most mods running to be eligible for achievements.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

gowb posted:

I put a habitat on a planet orbiting a black hole and didn't get the achievement. :(

I think you also need to put people on it to trigger the achievement. That's how it worked for me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Wiz hire Guilli, TYIA

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Now that systems can only be owned by one empire at a time in 2.0, what happens when a primitive civ in a system that I own reaches FTL travel?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

darnon posted:

You need to be in Ironman mode and can't have most mods running to be eligible for achievements.

Ah, that'll be it. Weird that the start screen said I was eligible for achievements.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

VirtualStranger posted:

Now that systems can only be owned by one empire at a time in 2.0, what happens when a primitive civ in a system that I own reaches FTL travel?

Your primitive cultures reach this point without being assimilated/devoured/destroyed?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

VirtualStranger posted:

This is especially relevant now that pirates will spawn in unclaimed systems surrounded by your borders, so you can't leave them alone even if you want to.

Hopefully you'll get an event that gives you an option to protectorate them automatically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that it was in a diary that the system is owned by whoever owns the flag, which is still you, planets don't determine system ownership.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

OwlFancier posted:

I think that it was in a diary that the system is owned by whoever owns the flag, which is still you, planets don't determine system ownership.

What it said was that you need to conquer all planets before you could take over a system, primitives and independents notwithstanding. Presumably if a primitive reaches space age and holds the only planet in the system, they'll take over, and otherwise the first space-faring civ to settle a planet keeps the system.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What it said was that you need to conquer all planets before you could take over a system, primitives and independents notwithstanding. Presumably if a primitive reaches space age and holds the only planet in the system, they'll take over, and otherwise the first space-faring civ to settle a planet keeps the system.

From the first of the diaries about Cherryh I think you've got that backwards - whoever controls the systems starbase controls the system, and you need to first build an outpost before you can land a colony ship on any planet. It sounds like if a primitive civ attains FTL (in a system someone else already controls) they would just be stuck in a system they don't control and would essentially unable to do anything. Maybe they have something else planned but for now I guess they're just screwed?

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 21, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I just got this an enjoying it somewhat, I only have the basegame and I see a new expansion is coming out soon, do they typically have some sort of sale/bundle with the old DLC when new stuff comes out?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

So I just got this an enjoying it somewhat, I only have the basegame and I see a new expansion is coming out soon, do they typically have some sort of sale/bundle with the old DLC when new stuff comes out?

whenever the Apocalypse expansion releases you can reasonably expect to see some discounts on the older stuff. it's how Paradox does their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I'll still wait for the 2.0 update to play Stellaris.

Until then I'll play the New Horizons mod.

• Locked thread