Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Uh, yeah? Its 40K, everything it does is trash by default so no one should want to write a good and serious story in it. What you can get is bad trash (almost everything involving the Space Marines as boring zealots) or good trash (almost everything involving the Orks). Again, that would be "everything" that the video games showed me because that's all I've seen.

As tyshalle said, the loyalist space marines are the very least interesting aspect of the setting. The video game properties rarely explore beyond them and almost every time when you encounter anything else, it is from the space marines' frame of reference, so they are just different-colored people to gun down. It's unfortunate that most media goes with space marines as gelded warrior-monks out of several alternatives presented, since it's difficult to be more boring than that.

Anyway, Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brother-captain Kirk, chaptermaster of the Enterprise. His chaplains, McCoy and Chapel, harvest the geneseed from the fallen red helms to bolster the ranks after grim engagement after grim engagement. A disgusting xenos slave, known as Spock, provides debatable insight into the wretched folk of these unexplored sectors.

Their continuous, gruelling campaign against the insidious xenos scum has lasted five-hundred years with no end in sight. Their mission: to cleanse polluted, heretical worlds. To extinguish corrupted life and xenos civilizations. To bring the glory of the God-Emperor where it has never reached before.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I saw someone moving their shoulders vaguely like Data did during his comedy routine and the trauma came flooding back

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Brother-captain Kirk, chaptermaster of the Enterprise. His chaplains, McCoy and Chapel, harvest the geneseed from the fallen red helms to bolster the ranks after grim engagement after grim engagement. A disgusting xenos slave, known as Spock, provides debatable insight into the wretched folk of these unexplored sectors.

Their continuous, gruelling campaign against the insidious xenos scum has lasted five-hundred years with no end in sight. Their mission: to cleanse polluted, heretical worlds. To extinguish corrupted life and xenos civilizations. To bring the glory of the God-Emperor where it has never reached before.

Meanwhile, Scotticus of the Adeptus Mechanicus keeps their ship, the Dreadnaught Enterprise of Piety And Faith, Glory to the Emperor, running, with the ancient prayers and sacred oils. Chekhov has been turned into a servoskull.

Bravely, their ship risks the perils of the Warp to travel anywhere, bringing the Emperor’s justice to the filthy xeno Kilngorks and Romuldar.

Idleness begets heresy!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think impulse can reach relativistic speeds, or if it can, do so without burning through all the ships energy very quickly

Depends on what you consider relativistic I guess. Technically any speed is relativistic but for most things that we would experience on earth, the effect of relativity is negligible.

Anyway, in Trek, full impulse is 0.25c, and any speed above about 0.1c is generally considered "relativistic". That said, there is zero mention in any of the shows about relativity. A few of the novels mention it though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Depends on what you consider relativistic I guess. Technically any speed is relativistic but for most things that we would experience on earth, the effect of relativity is negligible.

Anyway, in Trek, full impulse is 0.25c, and any speed above about 0.1c is generally considered "relativistic". That said, there is zero mention in any of the shows about relativity. A few of the novels mention it though.

You gotta get above 0.8 to start getting into serious time dilation. Above 0.9 or .95 if you realistically want to pass hundreds of years in a reasonable time frame, and you have to spend just as long accelerating in reverse to come to a stop, probably.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

marktheando posted:

Including all of TAS and Voyager? I’m so sorry.

I have some fondness for TAS, but sometimes it can make 24 minutes feel like 3 hours.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You gotta get above 0.8 to start getting into serious time dilation. Above 0.9 or .95 if you realistically want to pass hundreds of years in a reasonable time frame, and you have to spend just as long accelerating in reverse to come to a stop, probably.

Are you talking about blood alcohol levels and drunk driving?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TheCenturion posted:

Meanwhile, Scotticus of the Adeptus Mechanicus keeps their ship, the Dreadnaught Enterprise of Piety And Faith, Glory to the Emperor, running, with the ancient prayers and sacred oils. Chekhov has been turned into a servoskull.

Bravely, their ship risks the perils of the Warp to travel anywhere, bringing the Emperor’s justice to the filthy xeno Kilngorks and Romuldar.

Idleness begets heresy!

Hikaru of the Astropathicus was driven mad by the Warp once, and ran wild, brandishing a chainsword. He was justly put down by Sister Rand of the Sororitas. Now he serves as a warning to all to fully embrace the God-Emperor and reject Chaos.

A closed mind is a fortress.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm enjoying this 40k star trek fan fiction more than I should.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Please stop, it's already bad enough when the thread talks about actual Star Trek

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Fair point.

If we're going to go down this path, then having full impulse as 0.25c doesn't make sense as the concept of maximum speed in space doesn't really make sense. Delta-v is much more important, but who knows how much delta-v a starship is capable of?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You do gain mass as you accelerate though, which increases energy costs. It's possible 1/4 c is the cutoff where it starts getting inefficient and you may as well just go to warp.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why didn't Janeway just develop a spore drive?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zesty posted:

Why didn't Janeway just develop a spore drive?

Because she didn't actually want to get home, as clearly shown in the text.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

BACK TO DS9 TALK:

If the wormhole was strategically valuable from like the moment it was discovered, why did the actual station of Deep Space 9 like... not get immediately replaced?

I mean if Bajor was all antsy about having a huge Federation outpost tractored in, shouldn't they have had a galaxy class permanently parked in the system AT LEAST?

Do we know that they didn't have a bunch of Akiras parked at the nearest starbase?

(You wouldn't park a Galaxy, since the whole point of a Galaxy is to take the Starbase with you)

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You do gain mass as you accelerate though, which increases energy costs. It's possible 1/4 c is the cutoff where it starts getting inefficient and you may as well just go to warp.

Yes, true. I probably should have touched on mass increase but oh well.

The sperg in me is dubious though. A quick calculation tells me that 0.25c corresponds to about 3% time dilation and therefore a 3% mass increase and that's not much. But whatever, I'm thinking about this way more than the writers have.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The mass gain/time dilation factor (which are proportional) isn't major until later, and the mass/acceleration/energy cost for your internal PoV is always constant. The way the curve works out, if they can make it to .25c as easily as they do in the show, they can make it to high relativity easily.

That said, impulse engines use subspace fields as well as simple impulse, so who knows how it works, space magic applies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 20, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm cultivating mass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yes, true. I probably should have touched on mass increase but oh well.

The sperg in me is dubious though. A quick calculation tells me that 0.25c corresponds to about 3% time dilation and therefore a 3% mass increase and that's not much. But whatever, I'm thinking about this way more than the writers have.

Yeah I mean you have a FTL engine so it's not like you need to be tooling around at relativistic velocities anyway.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, exactly. Assuming the writers even knew much about relativity, I can't really blame them for ignoring it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, the only time full impulse is ever depicted as being remotely that fast is when they're moving interplanetary. It would've been easier if they'd just said that was low warp and full impulse is a fraction the acceleration.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I mean you have a FTL engine so it's not like you need to be tooling around at relativistic velocities anyway.

You won’t believe how fast we can get back to Earth since we broke the time barrier!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

MikeJF posted:

Do we know that they didn't have a bunch of Akiras parked at the nearest starbase?

(You wouldn't park a Galaxy, since the whole point of a Galaxy is to take the Starbase with you)

Akira class is my favorite class.

Any chance Discovery brings about a renewed interest is DS9, and with the the possibility of an HD remaster? Or am I living in a fool's paradise?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Doubt it. There was some hype about Burnham being the first black lead in a Star Trek show. Not black female lead, but black lead. That tells me that CBS would rather forget that DS9 existed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think impulse can reach relativistic speeds, or if it can, do so without burning through all the ships energy very quickly
Based on the TNG manual you absolutely can but it is not generally done because of the relativistic effects. It is probably better if your warp engine breaks to park yourself and whistle Starfleet to help.

Going fast enough for relativistic effects to make a large impact on their perceived time passage would mean that while they would get "home" in a couple of years or decades of subjective time, huge swaths of time would have passed. Going by warp, they had fighting odds of some of them making it home in their natural lives, though first priority should've been trying to figure out how to signal Starfleet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Any chance Discovery brings about a renewed interest is DS9, and with the the possibility of an HD remaster? Or am I living in a fool's paradise?

TNG HD made a loss (partly due to them releasing it to streaming, I reckon) and DS9 HD would be more difficult due to the battle sequences. So not happening until it gets really easy to do in 20 years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

VanSandman posted:

The guy responsible for that business model has been fired and GW has REALLY turned around as a company.

Yeah. I try not to do "GW are idiots" now because they're working on it. They used to refuse to make video games and total war would have been out of the question. I'd love for them to get some movie/tv on the pipes because you could make somethibg good... or terrible beyond belief.

E: oops we were a page further on. Anyway....

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

BACK TO DS9 TALK:

If the wormhole was strategically valuable from like the moment it was discovered, why did the actual station of Deep Space 9 like... not get immediately replaced?

I mean if Bajor was all antsy about having a huge Federation outpost tractored in, shouldn't they have had a galaxy class permanently parked in the system AT LEAST?

It's like something that is never really discussed in the show, due to the fact the show is named after the station obviously. But like-- I never got the simple fact that shouldn't that poo poo have been replaced with top of the line Federation outpost and gear like IMMEDIATELY after the wormhole was discovered?

For such a post-scarcity society the federation is always so weirdly stingy. Sort of like how they constantly have old ships in use forever when it would be strategically valuable to have constantly the newest ships out there (reusing of models, etc etc, I get it.)

The federation, by tv canon, can't be bothered to defend Earth with a standing fleet. What chance does DS9 have? Before DS9 the federation only had like 50 ships and the battle of Wolf 359 was apparently a huge fleet. This is because Star Trek writers were complete hacks who didn't ever appear to sit back and actually think about anything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarde Aduck posted:

The federation, by tv canon, can't be bothered to defend Earth with a standing fleet. What chance does DS9 have? Before DS9 the federation only had like 50 ships and the battle of Wolf 359 was apparently a huge fleet. This is because Star Trek writers were complete hacks who didn't ever appear to sit back and actually think about anything.
To be fair I suspect a lot of this was also the exegencies of budget and so on. TOS had also established that Starfleet wasn't brimming over with ships, as I recall.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Based on the TNG manual you absolutely can but it is not generally done because of the relativistic effects. It is probably better if your warp engine breaks to park yourself and whistle Starfleet to help.

Going fast enough for relativistic effects to make a large impact on their perceived time passage would mean that while they would get "home" in a couple of years or decades of subjective time, huge swaths of time would have passed. Going by warp, they had fighting odds of some of them making it home in their natural lives, though first priority should've been trying to figure out how to signal Starfleet.

There was an episode of Stargate Atlantis where just this happened, an ancient ship's hyperdrive broke in remote space so they just tied the sublight drive up to the hyperdrive's power core and went up to 0.99c. Better 10,000 years late but still alive, eh?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

They also had the Mars Defense Perimeter! :downs:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In that time travel Voyager episode Chakotay and B'elanna discuss the possibility of making new lives on 20th century earth. Now even if they don’t know the secret of time travel and the space magic of how their engine work stops time dilation, surely they could freeze themselves like Khan?

Oh poo poo wait a minute, where is Khan? Shouldn’t the Eugenics Wars be going on in the 90s? Wonder if the stuff about the computer revolution being thanks to time travel shenanigans was an attempt to retcon that.

Still overall a decently fun time travel episode.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The mass gain/time dilation factor (which are proportional) isn't major until later, and the mass/acceleration/energy cost for your internal PoV is always constant. The way the curve works out, if they can make it to .25c as easily as they do in the show, they can make it to high relativity easily.

That said, impulse engines use subspace fields as well as simple impulse, so who knows how it works, space magic applies.

Well, as apocryphal as it is, I recall several of the old Pocket Books novels mentioning that they avoided hitting .25c in impulse because time distortion becomes annoying.

Bear in mind that the GPS satellites around Earth are travelling fast enough that they need to take relativity into effect, and that astronomers noticed, like 200 years ago, irregularities in Mercury's orbit that are caused by relativity. You don't need to be going that fast for relativity to kick in; indeed, move at all, and relativity kicks in. For regular human-scale stuff, though, you're not going to notice it until you hit something like .1c.

http://www.emc2-explained.info/Time-Dilation-at-Low-Speeds/#.WmNG0LpFyUk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then a problem becomes where do they hide the ship for hundreds of years so it isn't discovered

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLsGlQ3CHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpdbHdQ81I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqEIIOYjG5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDXux7OEYc

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Then a problem becomes where do they hide the ship for hundreds of years so it isn't discovered

Well that should be straightforward enough, they would have records of what stuff near earth was explored and when.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marktheando posted:

Well that should be straightforward enough, they would have records of what stuff near earth was explored and when.

By Starfleet, not going to have records of other races comings and going, or of what cool dudes like the Outraaaageous Okona got up to.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Warp to a system in range with an unexplored has giant which you know no one will bother studying and hide as far inside as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Warp to a system in range with an unexplored has giant which you know no one will bother studying and hide as far inside as you can.

Or drop it in the middle of interstellar space where no one's stopping or scanning anyway.