Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m willing to look past the art if it’s good. After all, Binding of Isaac became my favorite indie game despite literally being an ugly flash game.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s the appeal of that Darkest Dungeon game? It looks like an ugly flash game from the few minutes I’ve seen of it.

I don't get this because I think it has a really cool art style. Its animations are simple but the actual artwork is pretty great.

Anyway it's a pretty difficult dungeon crawler type game where the focus is on leveling up your town to keep a steady flow of stronger heroes available, since people will die as well as accrue negative debuffs the more they go into dungeons. It's not the kind of game I thought I would like, but I finally played it last year and ended up loving it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The art is in Darkest Dungeon is fantastic. The animations are all simple on a technical level but combined with great effects and sound design it becomes very visually appealing.

Also since everyone is a flat 2D image the game is like grim Paper Mario which amuses me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Also since everyone is a flat 2D image the game is like grim Paper Mario which amuses me.

Lol I never thought about it this way but you're right

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does 9 parchments scratch that gauntlet itch? It sounds like it might be fun to lobby up online.

It does indeed, to the point that I mentioned to my roommate that I had a demo of a Guantlet-like game and he made me buy it immediately (not a difficult up-sell) and made a similar mention of it to my coworker who made me play it with him immediately (the Switch is very good at such things) and bought it later that night.

I have yet to play online though I've played an entirely worthwhile amount locally.

cage-free egghead posted:

Curious about this and is there any sort of progression?

There is definitely progression, but it's a little bit weird. The game seems geared toward four players, but you only start with two different characters unlocked out of a total of 8. Each character has 3 different skill tress, only one of which is initially unlocked. Some of the tree-unlock criteria are easy and some seem very difficult.

By the end of my first successful run-through I'd unlocked maybe 5 of the characters and a lot of the ones I just got already had two or three skill trees unlocked. I forget what level my characters were, but it carries over to the next run if you select that specific character as that player number. Otherwise they get boosted.

There are also a number of cosmetic hats and minor-effect staves to be unlocked.

That covers the across-games progression, which is motivation to play through it more than once.

Within a run, besides leveling up, you unlock 6 spells (in addition to your starting 3), somewhat randomly offered at the end of each run. This gives a bit of variability even if everybody started in the same situation.

tl;dr It's good fun though a number of aspects are unintuitive, but make some sense upon enough introspection.

Given that I felt the same about Has-Been-Heroes, I'm think it's a developer tendency.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Waffleman_ posted:

Battle Chef is a pretty nice game, if I do say so myself.

I just beat it and restarted it again on Hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Give me something with a water taste but is also made of dragons"

You see the issue here, Chairman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Well don't hold out on us.

probably :NSFW:
https://i.imgur.com/AeXPSWw.jpg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

That's not yaranaika...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

creationist believer posted:

Yeah, I read an article where they showed some reporters the actual ToyCons and one of the things they did was set up those little targets and robot bug and covered it all with a box, and the game was to use the IR camera to find and knock them over.

I always thought that thing in the right JoyCon was just some kind of IR sensor, I never knew it was a full-blown video-transmittable IR camera :stare:.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always thought that thing in the right JoyCon was just some kind of IR sensor, I never knew it was a full-blown video-transmittable IR camera :stare:.

Yeah, just like Wiimotes. When you brought up the Wii sensor bar calibration screen, what you were seeing was a video feed from the IR camera on the front.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man there is a game on the store called spelunker party that i almost bought because i thought it was spelunky party

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh yeah loving sucks that Spelunky 2 is a (timed?) PS4 exclusive

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

acksplode posted:

Yeah, just like Wiimotes. When you brought up the Wii sensor bar calibration screen, what you were seeing was a video feed from the IR camera on the front.

Huh. :suspense:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So theoretically a future Toycon could be night vision goggles?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah loving sucks that Spelunky 2 is a (timed?) PS4 exclusive

It’s definitely timed. I just hope that timed exclusivity isn’t longer than a year. I’ll be shocked if Undertale doesn’t come to Switch eventually as well. I think both would sell way more copies on Switch.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Guy Goodbody posted:

So theoretically a future Toycon could be night vision goggles?

Yes but you break them if you don't remove them exactly like Snake used to do.

It's gotta be the cool pose.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spelunky isn't PS4 Exclusive because it's also coming to steam.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turtlicious posted:

Spelunky isn't PS4 Exclusive because it's also coming to steam.

It’s console exclusive, at least temporarily. Pretty sure they confirmed it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
There's Labo and there's Lego. There is now Lego Lobo, but there is no Labo Lobo.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
or lego labo

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference between an IR sensor and an IR camera is just a matter of resolution. The Wii remote was a low res sensor that was just tracking the orientation of two LEDs and the Wii console translated that to the direction angle you were pointing. The right JoyCon is much smaller and high resolution, but hasn't really been used for anything except fake sandwich eating until now.

Some people in this thread said Oh... Sir! The Insult Simulator was worth $2. Is it like a standalone version of Monkey Island's Insult Sword-fighting? Because that would be worth $2 to me if cleverly written.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's Labo and there's Lego. There is now Lego Lobo, but there is no Labo Lobo.

I like the Lego Lobo logo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Here's a thing about IR sensors and wiimotes and such. Five minutes of cool poo poo. https://www.ted.com/talks/johnny_lee_demos_wii_remote_hacks/up-next

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
dang it darkest dungeon in handheld mode the text is like iphone game tiny

bummer i don't think i'm going to be playing this a ton

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Holy poo poo, darkest dungeon owns.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I ordered this so hard.

So many of my play sessions are handheld mode on the couch or in a car, so im looking forward to having some love handles to grip on to.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
I'm not really that into Mario Kart, but god bless MK8. My three year old can actually finish a race with the AI assist. It was torture watching her try to play Wii Mario Kart, just running into a wall for 15 minutes. Thank you Nintendo for the greatest console ever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ChocNitty posted:

I ordered this so hard.

So many of my play sessions are handheld mode on the couch or in a car, so im looking forward to having some love handles to grip on to.

The grips come off (and it comes with Red/Blue ones if you want it to match) and you can store a game cart inside each one! :eng101:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fuzz posted:

So REALTALK I got this grip:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773KT5VS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I gotta say, it's pretty drat great. The closest approximation, in terms of the feel of the grip and shape is actually I guess the old X-Box 360 controller, sort of. Makes it waaaay more comfortable to play on the go, and it's not totally awful to take it off and put it on, plus the TPU plastic is pretty thick so it will preserve your MATTE FINISH.
It also isn't so bulky that it doesn't fit in the BotW SE carrying case, if you have one that's about that size. Fits in just fine and snug. Love it.

How's the removal? I have another grip that's a bit stiff in that department.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
How is Portal Knights, specifically split screen coop? I enjoyed the demo for Dragon Quest Builders but the fact that it doesn't do split screen multi is making me hesitant.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
can i get the plushie and badges and nothing else

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Anime is bad

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
if yall keep talkin about the trash hornygames youll end up summoning dark_tittiesanime here from the vita thread to post about his 5000 senran kagura screenshots

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah he hates SK now it's all about Valkyrie Drive

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

AfroGunsou posted:

if yall keep talkin about the trash hornygames youll end up summoning dark_tittiesanime here from the vita thread to post about his 5000 senran kagura screenshots

I thought he was all about valkyrie drive no-

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah he hates SK now it's all about Valkyrie Drive

dammit

Why does he hate SK now, did he find out that the devs really did only see the characters as T&A and that he was attributing far more personality and effort to them than the devs were? 'cause I remember him trying to argue that SK is good because it has characters with actual personalities and feelings and stuff but then others pointed out that he was just describing generic anime archetypes lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The most recent Vita games moved away from the more serious plot stuff from the 3DS games and are just goofy antics and have too many characters, that's about it. He takes that stuff hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
SK had serious plot stuff????

• Locked thread