Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, but in the game it's a pop team epic skin (god I watched the first ten minutes on YT when it came out last week or whatever and it was stupefying). Itasha is the generic term for character decoration, not specifically anthropomorphized tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding what to rent in Japan for some twisty roads. I guess I'm crazy for being very meh about renting a Skyline.

Seems like I am between:
S15 Spec R - https://www.omoren.com/en/products/detail/8
ND Miata - https://www.omoren.com/en/products/detail/10

or trying to find a manual Toyota FRS at a Toyota rental place.

Suggestions?

the S15 is the dream car of every American drift nerd so...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A friend of mine has one of those S15s and it's Fun on a Bun.

That being said, I think I'd enjoy the Mazda more, just because I love convertibles and they might not be as fast but they're probably a lot more fun to chuck around windy roads.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The convertible will probably be more fun if you're on vacation, especially if you're going in the spring. I think it will be harder for you to experience a clean S15 than a clean ND once you get back home, though, so I'd go with the S15.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding what to rent in Japan for some twisty roads. I guess I'm crazy for being very meh about renting a Skyline.

Seems like I am between:
ND Miata - https://www.omoren.com/en/products/detail/10

or trying to find a manual Toyota FRS at a Toyota rental place.

Suggestions?

Omoren have a Honda s660 for rental in one of their branches. Mid engined Kei car would definitely be the most unique driving experience I would imagine, but any luggage is a no go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Linked in a different thread, photo series from the Dakar Rally:

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/photo/550814/

The sort of thing I think would be awesome to do but probably lack the balls to actually commit.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

The sort of thing I think would be awesome to do but probably lack the balls to actually commit.

Some really good shots in there. Pro click.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

No question this is what I would take. When this hits the magical 25 year mark I will have an incredibly difficult time talking myself out of one of these in yellow with the awesome rear spoiler that has the triangle third brake light. When I was in Australia circa 2004-2006 I lusted after many cars but the S15 was at the top.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
OKAY, sold on the S15, it is. :) This should be pretty fun, it's also like the cheapest thing to rent.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

S15 is awesome and doesn't come with the Skyline tax.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can’t you rent an nsx??? 15s are ehhhhhh.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

Can’t you rent an nsx??? 15s are ehhhhhh.

Nah, that was my first choice. They have a new CTR that I could use for an extended test drive, but meh as a rental.

The Honda S660 would be pretty cool, but I figure I'll want more power :lol:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

THey have an rx7 id have that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mad Dragon posted:

Too busy eating Tide Pods.

I hope you guys have the Hot Wheels expansion for Forza Horizon 3.

Not yet. I only got FH3 @ Christmas. Still working my way through the main game. Only just got to Barn Finds like, last week. Though my 4th bard find was the '73 Aussie Falcon Interceptor.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

THey have an rx7 id have that.

I was looking and it seems like they aren't available that often. I will check in a couple weeks when reservation for April opens up.
Definitely never driven an RX7 (or even been in one), despite lusting over them in the 90's.

General idea is to pick the car up in NE Tokyo, head up to Twin Ring Motegi to see the Honda collection, then shoot across and down to Hakone. Basically this:
https://jalopnik.com/how-to-find-one-of-japans-best-driving-roads-just-two-h-1818537482

Also going to this http://www.gotokyo.org/en/kanko/koto/event/motor_fes.html and the Toyota muesum next door. I'll probably also stop by Seekers and TYPEONE (Spoon), I hear they are cool about foreigners.

Would be cool to figure out how to do a track day over there, but that obviously won't happen this trip. I was going to do the Fun2DriveJP thing, but after adding up what it costs and taking into account train time it's far (like holy gently caress far) cheaper to just rent a car in Tokyo and go where I want.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 19, 2018

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Not yet. I only got FH3 @ Christmas. Still working my way through the main game. Only just got to Barn Finds like, last week. Though my 4th bard find was the '73 Aussie Falcon Interceptor.

Make sure you're visiting the Forza Hub app frequently. They hand out 125,000 credits for Forza 5 and up on a weekly basis.

There are a lot of barn finds. I have 22. Some of them are from Forzathon, so I don't know if they'll be available again.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mad Dragon posted:

Make sure you're visiting the Forza Hub app frequently. They hand out 125,000 credits for Forza 5 and up on a weekly basis.

There are a lot of barn finds. I have 22. Some of them are from Forzathon, so I don't know if they'll be available again.

Really? I've got F7 and FH3 but I don't gently caress around with the Hub app much because I really don't give a poo poo about most of the 'social' stuff. I'll have to fire that up and see what's up.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Mad Dragon posted:

2 of them are unobtainable now unless you visit the Auction House, because I have all but those 2. The AMC Pacer X and a classic Porsche, I think? All I know is, the Pacer X routinely goes for something like 10 to 20 million in the AH. I've resigned myself to never owning one of those :sigh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Forza should have stoped at being a racing simulator. Simulating the reality of not being able to buy your dream car? gently caress off that's too close to home.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Forza should have stoped at being a racing simulator. Simulating the reality of not being able to buy your dream car? gently caress off that's too close to home.

Oddly enough, GT Sport went the other way, and give out cars and credits like candy. Played the game today? Here's a LMP1 prototype! Won a couple of amateur level races against the computer? Buy whatever you fancy from the dealer store!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Finger Prince posted:

Oddly enough, GT Sport went the other way, and give out cars and credits like candy. Played the game today? Here's a LMP1 prototype! Won a couple of amateur level races against the computer? Buy whatever you fancy from the dealer store!

Yeah, GT Sport is about racing - not the cars.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The forzathon events in game hand out cars, credits and wheelspins like crazy, then the wheelspins hand out even more cars and credits. Making creds really isn't hard end game if you're running races regularly. I've been slowly buying up most of the horizon edition cars in the game, I think I've got 2/3rds of them at this point. What I've spent on the popular ones probably could have bought a pacer x at this point tbh. I've beaten most of the main game and am slowly working my way through the expansions while working out tuning stuff and trying to make a tune that goes against the conventional (in game/online) wisdom of anything dedicated to goin' fast must have awd. Shaving 10-15 seconds off a lap time by fixing up a tune is fun. (Even if it is goliath and takes ~12 seconds in the cars I'm running.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

xzzy posted:

Any of you guys read the short story Brightside Crossing?
This is what I picture for their vehicle:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

The forzathon events in game hand out cars, credits and wheelspins like crazy, then the wheelspins hand out even more cars and credits. Making creds really isn't hard end game if you're running races regularly. I've been slowly buying up most of the horizon edition cars in the game, I think I've got 2/3rds of them at this point. What I've spent on the popular ones probably could have bought a pacer x at this point tbh. I've beaten most of the main game and am slowly working my way through the expansions while working out tuning stuff and trying to make a tune that goes against the conventional (in game/online) wisdom of anything dedicated to goin' fast must have awd. Shaving 10-15 seconds off a lap time by fixing up a tune is fun. (Even if it is goliath and takes ~12 seconds in the cars I'm running.)

I think I bought one Horizon car, the 22B. I still have a few left to go (27/??). Forzathon occasionally rewards HE cars, and the wheelspins are full of them.

The Pacer X is one of those cars you can game the drag strip with. Give it a twin-turbo V12 with 1500hp, and it's still a C class car. That gives you like a ten second head start, so you can finish the race before the rest of the pack is still halfway down the track.

:smug:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kimbo305 posted:

Any of you guys read the short story Brightside Crossing?
This is what I picture for their vehicle:

Monseiur Dakar is all well and good, but...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

builds character posted:

Monseiur Dakar is all well and good, but...

*Jaws theme plays*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

*Jaws theme plays*
If only there were a more adroit Spielberg reference to make about someone in a car being chased down by a large, menacing truck!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I'm mostly playing project cars 2 these days and I miss the gran turismo car progression. I drove so many cars and got good at tracks I would have otherwise glossed over only because i had to. Actual racing, especially online, is more fun but I still miss wringing the last inch out of a poo poo box because I have to.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

InitialDave posted:

If only there were a more adroit Spielberg reference to make about someone in a car being chased down by a large, menacing truck!

ah yes, clearly you are referring to Raiders of the Lost Ark...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Thief posted:

ah yes, clearly you are referring to Raiders of the Lost Ark...

The T-Rex chasing the Jeep from Jurassic Park.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That movie has like 4 of my my earliest "holy poo poo" moments in a movie theater. That scene is one of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I know Bob, he's a fantastic human being.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

boxen posted:

The T-Rex chasing the Jeep from Jurassic Park.

It's Eliot pedaling ET to freedom!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Building on that Hot wheels nerd thing, I just took a look at the new castings for 2018.
You guys are going to like some of this.
How about both R30 and R33 Skylines (RS-Turbo and GT-R, respectively)?
'85 Honda City Turbo II?
Custom Ford Maverick?
'71 911?

2017 produced a 240Z, Fairlady 2000, Mazda REPU, and a VW T2 pickup, among others.
Mattel took note of the classic JDM scene a few years ago and has been putting out some neat stuff.

Less that and more the influence of a particular designer, actually!

Jun Imai is a Hot Wheels designer and he's been the one responsible for a lot of classic J-Tin showing up in Hot Wheels form. A lot of it actually bares the inkan of the Japanese Nostalgic Cars site. Dude's an enthusiast to the core and it's great,

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/minicars-hot-wheels-japan-historics-2/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of hot wheels, from the detroit auto show, this will be in the ant man movie.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

xzzy posted:

Speaking of hot wheels, from the detroit auto show, this will be in the ant man movie.

Would totally daily that

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

ishikabibble posted:

Less that and more the influence of a particular designer, actually!

Jun Imai is a Hot Wheels designer and he's been the one responsible for a lot of classic J-Tin showing up in Hot Wheels form. A lot of it actually bares the inkan of the Japanese Nostalgic Cars site. Dude's an enthusiast to the core and it's great,

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/minicars-hot-wheels-japan-historics-2/

Yeah, I know about Jun (I hit up JNC occasionally). I’m very appreciative of his work, particularly the first gen RX-7 with bubble flares. Hot Wheels has done imports before, but he’s nailing the JDM look. Would love to see some ore unusual stuff like a Crown sedan, or a kenmeri (I think that’s right ) GT-R. More kei cars, maybe? Definitely a first gen Celica would be sweet.
That reminds me that I need to buy a couple of JNC inkan stickers for the AE86 and SA22C.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hope you guys think this is awesome, I do. Just finished a 15+ hour print on my 3D Printer and thought you guys might like it

Low poly '73 BMW 2002 Turbo

Full album here -> https://imgur.com/a/QjGfj

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's brutal, makes me want a printer even more.