Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Toby 'Ironbar' Greene

I am holidaying in the states and part of my motivation was to escape the summer heat

5 degrees in Portland right now, feels pretty good. BTW it's somehow even more hipster than I expected but it's pretty wonderful and actually has way less homeless people than other major cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
loving 47 degrees in Sydney, goddamn, that's dire. It was horrible enough today here in Adelaide at around 44 degrees.

I work in a giant glass building and when you walk in, it's all just bright white stones from the carpark to the front door. I swear I got sunburned just from walking to and from my car yesterday. The loving sun bounces off the glass building, it bounces off the ground, it hits you from every loving angle and I literally got sunburned from the ~10 minutes I spent going to and from my car twice. I'm still pissed off. Put up a loving shadecloth or SOMETHING.

I hate the heat so much :smith:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Apparently the Dees v Pies game was good and close.

Collingwoods Darcy Gutterage did her collarbone, season ending probably.

https://twitter.com/GirlsPlayFooty/status/954302410545012736

edit: and a new aflw podcast 'credit to the girls'
https://twitter.com/crdttogrlsshow/status/953863875522306049

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 19, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adelaide are scheduled to play Fremantle during a monsoon at TIO some time tomorrow

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drunkill posted:

Apparently the Dees v Pies game was good and close.

Collingwoods Darcy Gutterage did her collarbone, season ending probably.

https://twitter.com/GirlsPlayFooty/status/954302410545012736

edit: and a new aflw podcast 'credit to the girls'
https://twitter.com/crdttogrlsshow/status/953863875522306049

Isn't a bit condescending calling the female footballers "girls"?

Also the AFLW Melbourne team doing as well as their male team.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

You Am I posted:

I mean, obviously it depends on whether the players themselves mind or not. If they don't like it then we shouldn't do it. But people refer to male sports stars as "the boys" all the time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

cmndstab posted:

I mean, obviously it depends on whether the players themselves mind or not. If they don't like it then we shouldn't do it. But people refer to male sports stars as "the boys" all the time.
Yeah there's a lot of problematic gendered language in sports coverage and out of them "boys" and "girls", while a bit obvious, is a fair way down the list because each term *seems* to get applied equally (although I would be very interested to see the numbers), unless people just don't like general infantilism.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Toby 'Ironbar' Greene

I am holidaying in the states and part of my motivation was to escape the summer heat

5 degrees in Portland right now, feels pretty good. BTW it's somehow even more hipster than I expected but it's pretty wonderful and actually has way less homeless people than other major cities.

That’s funny, I keep hearing from family and friends back home there that there’s a massive homeless problem and it just keeps getting worse. Enjoy Portland though :)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

harperdc posted:

That’s funny, I keep hearing from family and friends back home there that there’s a massive homeless problem and it just keeps getting worse. Enjoy Portland though :)

Portland aint got poo poo on LA or San Francisco. Literal human excrement on the street in SF, and I mean literal in the old fashioned sense of the word where actual human beings are forced to poop in the street.

I would rate Portland as only marginally worse than Melbourne.

EDIT: Less homeless than other AMERICAN cities

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 20, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

Also the AFLW Melbourne team doing as well as their male team.

Both missed out on finals by two goals across the entire season?

I HADNT NOTICED

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Football is bad

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is the Crows vs Fremantle AFLW practice match still happening tonight? Or has it been rained out?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Is the Crows vs Fremantle AFLW practice match still happening tonight? Or has it been rained out?

Still on, no announcement to the contrary yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbULvKUpWD0

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.facebook.com/girlsplayfooty/

Bulldogs vs Carlton in Ballarat right now

It sounds like Isabelle Huntington deserved to be drafted number 1

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
At Eureka stadium. Its a good little venue. Summer footy owns. Probably 2000+ here.

Pretty windy, scores were level at quarter time (1 goal each) and at halftime it is Carl 4.2 26 v Wb 4.0 24

Last touch rule is a bit weird so far, still not a fan. Umpires got one call wrong as it was touched off the boot but still awarded as kicked out of bounds.

It has cooled down now, Breanne Moody fainted out in the middle, didn't seem to get hit. Walked off and had a blood nose from faceplanting. Looks like she wont play the rest of the match.

Tayla Harris has a wonderful kick, scored the firat goal from 55 out into the wind.

New carltom girls look good too, although Madison Gay is in the coaches box along with Jessica Hosking, wanted to see her play after missing last season.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm apparently Crows are playing without Erin and without Tex.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmm apparently Crows are playing without Erin and without Tex.

Erin, Tex, and Chelsea

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Premiership hangover imo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hewitt/Hewett however it's spelt looks like she'll be p. good once she learns to kick.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Marinoff remains a star. I think Holmes' days are numbered, she looks even more limited than she did last year with the new tall options we picked up.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton won 8.8 56 v 6.4 40

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/954655036608364544
What a good game. Scrappy in parts and pretty brutal at times with big knocks and a bit of a punch on which cost the doggies a 50m penalty infront of goal.

Bulldogs were resting more players overall carlton were seemingly giving everyone half a game with like 8 on the bench.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 20, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I thought Jess Allan hadn't been playing, turns out the commentator keeps calling her Justine Mules despite a 20cm height difference

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also at half time Freo led Adelaide 2.4 to 2.3, which has now been amended to 2.4 to 2.4, but we're pretty sure is actually a Crows lead 2.5 to 2.4

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Georgia Bevan's kicking action looks horrible

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rushed shot at goal goes out of bounds, so it's a free kick to the defenders, gently caress this rule right off into the sun

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah the umpiring in AFLW remains pretty trash level

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Rushed shot at goal goes out of bounds, so it's a free kick to the defenders, gently caress this rule right off into the sun

Maybe they should have kicked the goal then imho

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
First complaint about umpiring for the year, footy is back!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

welp bad 50 there's the match

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lmao Fremantle gets a HTB free kick outside 50, get given 50m penalty, and the umpire takes it to the goal line straight in front. They have to stop with this academy umpire nonsense before the real games start.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 20, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh well, put Chelsea, Erin and Tex back in and maybe they'll look a little less ordinary.

Lot of trouble getting the ball cleanly and kicking it to teammates.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only positive is that we looked this bad in the corresponding game last year, so I'm putting it down to playing the first competitive game of the year in monsoon season with a bar of soap not being conducive to good results.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah the umpiring in AFLW remains pretty trash level

These practice matches are using trainee umpires. The Carl v WB match had 3 goal umpires, who were rotating each quarter for turns. And they struggled with the last touch rule a bit too in a few cases, in one which is directly infront of me the ball was touched off the boot and bounced over the line, but was was still paid as a free kick because the two umpires didn't see the partial smother.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

I seriously hate that stupid rule so much. It's particularly harsh at AFLW level. Oh, you're going down the boundary line and your kick didn't hit a target because your skill level isn't quite at that of the men's league? Better hope it doesn't bounce sideways and end up going out of bounds or else it's a free kick against! You affected a turnover in a 1-on-2 situation and don't have time to spot up a target before you get mobbed? Choose between going down the line and risking an almost certain free kick against when it inevitably bobbles out of play, or just blindly kicking it into the corridor and hoping it doesn't land in an opposition player's lap with options ahead of them!

gently caress whoever it was that decided to introduce that rule. I hated it in the SANFL, and I hate it here.

The game itself was fairly entertaining. A few of the best players out (I'm assuming the same for Freo, but I don't know Freo's AFLW team well enough to say for sure) so it was really just a chance to see some of the lesser players. I like some of the Crows' new recruits! Hewett is going to be a star if she can get her kicking boots on.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The only positive is that we looked this bad in the corresponding game last year, so I'm putting it down to playing the first competitive game of the year in monsoon season with a bar of soap not being conducive to good results.

I reckon we looked way worse in last year's practice match. We were pretty competitive this time around, just had a lackluster finish.

That said, the Crows last year were essentially a six-woman team (Phillips, Randall, Perkins, Marinoff, and I would argue Cramey and Metcalfe) with a bunch of lesser lights who would do well enough to hold up their end. Take three of them out (essentially our best midfielder, best forward and best defender) and we probably would have finished bottom last year.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I love how mad Essendon fans are getting over the eSports team. So many "this is why we can't win premierships anymore, we spend all our time on computer games!" and when Raz played a game against a pro there were lots of "great strat by the club, playing games rather than being out on the park practicing goal kicking". How do people not stop to think "ok I'm sure players are allowed to have some down time and don't train 24/7, and we haven't won a flag in 18 years, and the esports team has been around for 6 months, so it's probably not the reason we haven't been winning flags".

Also, the esports logo looks better than our main logo

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

thepokey posted:

I love how mad Essendon fans are getting over the eSports team. So many "this is why we can't win premierships anymore, we spend all our time on computer games!" and when Raz played a game against a pro there were lots of "great strat by the club, playing games rather than being out on the park practicing goal kicking". How do people not stop to think "ok I'm sure players are allowed to have some down time and don't train 24/7, and we haven't won a flag in 18 years, and the esports team has been around for 6 months, so it's probably not the reason we haven't been winning flags".

Also, the esports logo looks better than our main logo

logo is also the shape of most gaming mice

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Esports are pretty dumb though

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
eh, pends on the game really - if you're into the game I can see how it's fun. I can't get excited about a LoL team because I don't like LoL. But I love PUBG and found myself getting sucked into a PUBG esports team unexpectedly. Either way, I don't get the argument that some people have that an esports team is somehow going to = bad on-field performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

eh, pends on the game really - if you're into the game I can see how it's fun. I can't get excited about a LoL team because I don't like LoL. But I love PUBG and found myself getting sucked into a PUBG esports team unexpectedly. Either way, I don't get the argument that some people have that an esports team is somehow going to = bad on-field performance.

The same way that Collingwood suck because they have a netball team and a women’s team