Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1A
2F
3G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Uh. I guess it's too late to vote IFE so uh.

GFF

I guess. Anything but the 4th era.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

1. A 2. G 3. G

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
CJG

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
GFF sounds fun

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Don't care, as long as we get to :sterv:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

GFH

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
GJ

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
GJG

dang we could have been in north blackmarch just before the Nerevarine took ships to Akavir, but I think the timing's wrong and that would immediately pan out to be a really weird game anyway

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
BGE

Not nearly enough dunmer votes, you n'wahs.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

GJF.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I know it could still concievably swing dunmer or argonian, but voting is closed. I'll be updating sometime today, my time.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

FI (no preference)

I just want to play a big kitty who is constantly in peril of getting wet and is therefore always on edge.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

ETA half an hour to an hour.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm unreasonably excited to read about Elder Scrolls' universe, since I don't know diddly poo poo about it.

There's kitty-cat crackheads? Oh man, would that be funny. Do they all speak like apologetic Nigerian prince emails?

DM Request: For those un-learned, un-washed, and un-intelligent masses who have yet to dip their toe in Elder Scrolls, would you mind considering a bit of flavor or worldbuilding? I know it's more work, but it'll help me form an idea of the world.

Thanks! Also feel free to disregard me if you have something else in mind.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Ah. You are a redguard, a proud child of Yokunda and Hammerfell, where you are currently imprisoned. It’s been more than a year since last you saw the sun as a free man, in the 48th year of the third century of the third era. But now, you have just awoken in your cell on the edge of the Alik’r Desert.
There’s a small window, high up in your cell, with bars and no glass. Dust and sand blows in from there, now and again, and a small, pale strip of sunlight as well. Your cell faces east, so you get your precious few moments of sunlight during the morning. In the cell across from you, there’s a moody, grumpy khajiit, a cat-man, named Do'Zora. Do'Zora is huge, easily six or seven feet, and hunches over as he paces his tiny cell. The only time you only see him content for even a few moments is near evening, when a tiny sunbeam reaches his cell from his tiny window, and he lies on the floor, turning to catch the tiny sunbeam with his face, and shuffling and turning to keep with it as it slides over the floor over the course of an hour. It is then, after the sun disappears, that he is in his best mood, and his most talkative.

Do you talk to him then, and what about?
A: Yes, about my life in the Alik’r deserts, where i grew up and lived as a child. I tell him about its scorching heats, its warm sands, its murderous giant scorpions and about the dunerippers, giant crocodile-like creatures that swim through the sand. I tell him of the harpies we fought off or avoided, and the cursed grounds where the undead walk and which
B: Yes, about my life as the son of a poor merchant in the city of Sentinel, one of the largest cities in hammerfell; about the conflicts there between the traditionalist crowns and the imperialist forbearers, about the great chapel of arkay there, and the many conflicts with the other kingdoms in and around illiac bay.
C: Yes, about my life as the son of a noble in in the city of Satakalaam, a traditionalist city controlled by the crowns, and about the great temple there to the traditional redguard pantheon and its gods.
D: Yes, about my life on the streets in the city of old Hegathe, on the coast and right by the alik’r desert. About the merchant’s boats, flying countless colours, and trade with the traditionalist and strange Alik’r nomads. Like Sentinel, Hegathe is a city where peoples meet, but whereas sentinel is a melting pot, Hegathe is clearly a redguard city, and one of the oldest at that.
E: Yes, about my life as the son of a soldier in the imperial city. I talk about the countless beautiful canals of the city, the hundreds of temples and cults. About being an outsider in my own home province of hammerfell and my estrangement from traditional yokudan culture.
F: Yes, about my life somewhere else.
G: Yes, about something other than my past. My past is mine, and i don’t like sharing, but that doesn’t mean i can’t make small-talk, and be polite.
H: No. I have better things to do than to make small-talk with some stinking khajit. I’m not sure what, being in prison and all, but there must be something.

In any case, it’s morning. It’ll be most of the day until Do'Zora gets in a talkative mood. You pace for a while, waiting for the guards to come by. Some days, they have some tasks for you, ranging from cleaning to mining or construction. But before that, Do’Zora calls your name.

And what name is that?
A: A masculine or unisex name. Please specify
B: A feminine or unisex name. Please specify.

“Do’Zora smells blood, redguard, and metal on metal, blades clashing, armor clanging. Be on your guard, all is not as it should be.” With that, the great panther-like cat grabs one of the bars of his cell and rips it out of the ground like he was plucking a flower.

How do you react to this? (Note: this is not nessecarily ‘picking a class.’ You do have more skills than the one you use here, but this does represent a major aspect of your character, and your first instinct in this scenario)
A: React? I do nothing. Well, nothing overt. Grabbing a shiv or readying any spells i might know would only serve to make me appear as a threat, a danger; and they aren’t my strong suits, in any case. My silver tongue is. Whatever trouble is coming, i’m in a better position to talk and lie my way though it if i don’t appear as a threat.
B: I’ve got a shiv hidden under my straws, a sharpened rock. My cell has a door, and nowhere to hide, but it does have an angle from which i can i can best pounce, if nessecary. I’m quick and agile, and while this isn’t a propper knife, it’s close enough, and i am very good with knives.
C: Sure the cell has a place to hide. I grab my shiv and shimmy up the narrow walls. As long as they don’t look up, my cell will be looking empty. From this angle, i can fall on anyone that walks in the door, too, which gives me an advantage. I’m quick with a knife, sure, but i always prefer getting the drop when I can, as fighting isn’t my strong suit.
D: I get out of here! I managed to smuggle in a lockpick when they threw me in here, and i’ve kept it hidden under a loose rock, but now’s the time. I grab it and try to unlock the door. It’s difficult in the dim light, but i’m very good with a pick, and the lock isn’t too complex.
E: One of the bars in the cell door is a bit rusty. I kick it loose and grab it, wrenching it from its place. It’s not much, but it’s got a pointy end and I can swing it, so it’ll do for now. I’d prefer a proper sword of course, but without one, this will have to do. Even with this weapon, and no armor, i give myself a reasonably good chance of fighting off and overpowering the average prison guard, and, with a bit of luck, even a trained soldier. With better equipment, either of those would be easy, but i’ll have to work with what i’ve got.
Ea: E, but i hold it not as a common soldier or warrior, but in the opening stance of the Ephemeral Feint, most basic skill of the sword-singers, the rare and skilled redguard warriors. Because i am one, having studied in the halls of the virtues of war, and learnt some secret techniques. It won’t be… right, not without a sword, but it is still a powerful, if exhausting technique.
Eb: Ea, but instead of grabbing a rusty iron bar, i close my eyes and i try to manifest a sehai, a spirit-sword. If successful, i will manifest a weapon made of pure will and spirit, a massively powerful sword. I have never ever done this successfully, only once managing to manifest a few seconds of misy light. In fact, i do not think anyone has successfully manifested a useful sehai in this century, or even this entire era. This is unlikely to work, but there are stories of people manifesting a sehai in moments of desperation, such as this one. No matter what, it will take at least a minute to attempt, and may leave me unprepared. If it does not work, and i have time, i will proceed as Ea
F: I raise my hands and draw up magica, and, with a touch, i open the lock on the door. I could also fly, or form elemental shields up around me, as alteration is my specialty, but i want to conserve my magica, to adapt to the changing circumstances. The price of opening this door is small, and should replenish itself in a few moments.
Fa: as above, except that i don’t preserve magica; i immediately cast another spell, a mage armor. This will deplete my magica reserves significantly, but should still leave me enough for one or two spells for combat use.
Fb: as above, except a cloak of fire, not mage armor. This has a similar magicka cost.
G: I raise my hands and draw up magica for a summoning spell, conjuring from nothing a lesser daedra in the form of a bound sword, and effortlessly hack through the bars of my cell. This will significantly deplete my magica reserves, but still leave me with enough magicka for a few more spells, if i need them. I can, of course, use the sword i conjure.
Ga: As above, except i also conjure up a set of armor to protect myself. This takes up a large amount of mana for me, and while i might still have enough left for a minor combat spell, it will take some time before i can conjure anything else or otherwise use a significant amount of Magicka
Gb: As G, except some other weapon. This has a similar cost in Magica. Please specify which weapon
Gc: As Ga, except some other weapon. This has a similar cost in magica. Please specify which weapon.
H: I raise my hands, draw up magicka, and summon Qutaina, a Clannfear, a lesser daedra, who can easily overpower a guard or two.This will significantly deplete my magica reserves, but still leave me with enough magicka for a few more spells, if i need them.
I: I raise my hands, draw up magica, and make ready to throw a firebolt at an attacker, which will surely set them on fire and drive them to panic. This costs a small but noticeable amount of magicka, and should still let me cast several more firebolts or one or two more powerful spells.
Ia: I, but some other element. Please specify.
J:I, but instead of a bolt, a fireball. This should hit multiple people if needed, but will also cost a significant amount of magicka, but still, not more than should allow you to throw another spell of similar magnitude or a handful of smaller spells
Ja: J, but instead of fire, some other element. Please specify.
K: I raise my hands, draw up magicka, and turn myself invisible. This costs a small but noticeable amount of magicka, and should still let me cast several more spells of a similar magnitude.
L: I raise my hands, draw up magicka, and prepare to cast a charming spell. The first guard, or whomever else i see, will be utterly convinced that i am their friend, and help me out. This will take a significant amount of magicka, but should still let me do a short invisibility spell or another spell of a similar
La: L, but some other illusion spell of a similar magnitude, such as a paralysis spell.
M: I raise my hands, draw up magicka, and prepare to cast a telekinesis spell. With it, I can summon the keys from a guard, or their sword or weapon, the moment they turn around the corner and into view. This is fairly cheap, and should leave me with plenty of magicka for more spells if it’s just keys, but a weapon or other heavy item will drain my magicka more significantly
N: I raise my hands, draw up magica, and cast a spell of insight and divination. This will allow me allow me to sense the strength, distance and disposition of other creatures, such as those that Do’Zora have apparently smelt or heard. Its cost will depend on how long you keep it up. If there are many creatures or people, it might take some time to understand exactly what is going on, which may carry a significant Magicka cost.
O: I raise my hand, draw up magicka, and cast a spell of strength and fortitude, fortifying and enhancing my natural strength and resilience, allowing me to kick the cell door of its hinges, and, with some luck, overpower anyone who might come with supernatural strength and endurance. This will incur a significant Magicka cost.
Oa: As O, but I cast it on Do’Zora and ask him to bust me out and help me. This is a slightly more difficult spell, but only slightly.
P: Something else! I have some other skill or resource i am using at this point. Smuggled in potions, strange skills i have learnt elsewhere, or even something i’ve managed to craft from the near-zero resources available to me here in my cell.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Cannon_fodder, i'll be glad to try! also, feel free to ask me about anything i mention, and i'll happily give some info and insight. I will try to give a bit more info and worldbuilding stuff, once we get a bit further in and get through some of the more dreary character-building stuff.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've only ever played Skyrim and am excited to learn more about the rest of the universe.

C
B
Ea

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
A
A Male named Kayelan
G Who needs a shehai when it's much easier to summon a sword from Oblivion?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1F. The many different places that I visited as a completely legitimate sailor.
2A. Cyrus
3B.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
1. F. I used to be the best sand soccer player, but i got a knee injury... :sterv:

2. Skip

3. Eb. Come out my Spirit-Shiv! :chef::fork:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C

B Miriam

Ea

A noble spellswordswoman sounds great

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

1.F

2.B, Adirah, the wayward half-Redguard, half-Breton daughter of a traveling peddler.

3.E, she's no great scion of privilege, but certainly capable in a scrap thanks to a hard life on the road.

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
D
A Zakhin
Eb

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
1. D
2. Skip
3. Eb What better way to respond to a crisis than with something that's literally never worked before?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D
A Zakhin
Eb
- If we're going Redguard, let's go full Redguard!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
D
I come from a well-connected city. I know quite a bit of bullshit about other cultures and places through contact with merchants and travelers over the years.

B
My name is *unpronounceable series of hisses and clicks*, but my friends call me Faye.

A
I was really starting to annoy Do'Zora with it, but I feel that in the time I've spent here, I have really narrowed down my phenomenal stand-up comedy routine. Hopefully it doesn't go like it did last time.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

D
A Arinnar B’Vast or A Vast for short
Eb What better way to escape than by poking holes in people with a legendary spirit sword !

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

super sweet best pal posted:

D
A Zakhin
Eb
- If we're going Redguard, let's go full Redguard!

+1

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
D
A Zakhin
Eb

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
1. B
2. A Cyrus
3. G

The in-game books would frequently mention thing like summoning daedra for reasons other than just combat, like using them to answer questions. The limitations of the game meant you could never really do something like that, but in a more freeform game like this, I think conjuration could be a really neat specialty.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aa B C
We're Farida, daughter of a huntsman in an Alik'r desert tribe, stealthy and quick with a bow.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

D B Ea.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kristopher posted:

1. B
2. A Cyrus
3. G

The in-game books would frequently mention thing like summoning daedra for reasons other than just combat, like using them to answer questions. The limitations of the game meant you could never really do something like that, but in a more freeform game like this, I think conjuration could be a really neat specialty.

same with mysticism too

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. D
2. B Ruthe
3. C

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A
B / no preference as to name
O Let's be a muscle wizard

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
1. B. I've always liked the Iliac Bay.
2. B. I really like the name Faridah so I'm throwing support behind it.
3. Eb. I'm willing to go for the gusto here, even if it's wildly unlikel to succeed.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

1. G
2. B no preference
3. Ea

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fuckit, changing my second vote to:

B, Faridah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Kristopher posted:

1. B
2. A Cyrus
3. G

+1
I like this. Also, a quick glance at the wiki tells me that conjugation magic is generally disliked in Hammerfell, so it could make for an interesting plot hook.

• Locked thread